Does Quantum Randomness disprove eternalism?

ChadL1te

ChadL1te

Hardstuck MTN
Ive been an eternalist for a while, basically, the idea is that spacetime is a 4D block that has everything that has happened will happen and is happening now. all existing at one. Meaning all of time already exists and you have no free will. But, because of quantum physics, we know at a quantum level the interaction and behavior of certain particles are random. For example no human can be 100% certain when a radioactive particle will decay, only an estimation. This is kinda similar to entropy. So if there is still a degree of true randomness in our univerise how can the future already exist and be predetermined? Idk what to think im not smart enough for physics

@InnerVoid help me out here

Nonsense

• +1
Reactions: ChadL1te
so it dosent? Or is everything i mentioned nonsense
Even If the future is predetermined its unforseeable therefore de facto random

it's all just models

• +1
Even If the future is predetermined its unforseeable therefore de facto random
Unforeseeable to us but thats only because we cant perceive 4 dimensions

• +1
Reactions: _MVP_
There are 11 dimensions tho
According to string theory yes, but 7 of these dimensions are folded on themselves

• +1
Reactions: _MVP_
Ive been an eternalist for a while, basically, the idea is that spacetime is a 4D block that has everything that has happened will happen and is happening now. all existing at one. Meaning all of time already exists and you have no free will. But, because of quantum physics, we know at a quantum level the interaction and behavior of certain particles are random. For example no human can be 100% certain when a radioactive particle will decay, only an estimation. This is kinda similar to entropy. So if there is still a degree of true randomness in our univerise how can the future already exist and be predetermined? Idk what to think im not smart enough for physics
quantum superposition isn’t a binary event where it occurs at one point and stops at another, at the quantum level fluctuations occur constantly without pause.

So no, quantum fluctuation doesn’t refute eternalism but anyway philosophy of time is a waste of time like most of philosophy and I’m agnostic on how time operates fundamentally.

• +1
Time is objective, the clocks dont Go slower when u accelerate to Speed of light, u can't travel into the future, Einstein was wrong

quantum superposition isn’t a binary event where it occurs at one point and stops at another, at the quantum level fluctuations occur constantly without pause.

So no, quantum fluctuation doesn’t refute eternalism but anyway philosophy of time is a waste of time like most of philosophy and I’m agnostic on how time operates fundamentally.
Im not talking about superposition, thats separate from quantum randomness. But i see your point

Yeah philosophy of time isnt practical at all but I like reading about it

• +1
Reactions: butterworld
Time is objective, the clocks dont Go slower when u accelerate to Speed of light, u can't travel into the future, Einstein was wrong
This was proven already. People move through time differently. Look it theres experiments where they sent a clock on two jets going in opposite directions and they were .15 milliseconds off each other when they came back.

Can you elaborate on it, dark energy is confusing to me
gravity says all masses should be attracting to each other, right? oh fuck the universe is expanding, let's add a term to the field equations and call it dark energy

• +1
gravity says all masses should be attracting to each other, right? oh fuck the universe is expanding, let's add a term to the field equations and call it dark energy
So its the constant used to calculate vacuum energy? Dark energy is bizarre to think about

eternalism is meaningless. the idea that all of space and time is happening now or at once doesn't mean anything. you're using the terms "now" and "at once" incorrectly

don't think i don't get the idea. i get it. it just doesn't actually mean anything

the only way it would make sense is if there were some perspective that could see this 4D block all at once, but there isn't

• +1
Reactions: arab_chink
Its just a thoery

for us its randomness because we can't see who is pulling the strings

• +1
eternalism is meaningless. the idea that all of space and time is happening now or at once doesn't mean anything. you're using the terms "now" and "at once" incorrectly

don't think i don't get the idea. i get it. it just doesn't actually mean anything

the only way it would make sense is if there were some perspective that could see this 4D block all at once, but there isn't
Its not meaningless though, if it was real it would mean free will wouldn't exist in the slightest. And now just describes how someone moves through time, which means there are infinite versions of 'now' according to einstein.

Its not meaningless though, if it was real it would mean free will wouldn't exist in the slightest. And now just describes how someone moves through time, which means there are infinite versions of 'now' according to einstein.
Think about it. Provided the laws of physics are the same, every single event would be the exact same in both scenarios - A theory and B theory. Eternalism makes no difference.

Think about it. Provided the laws of physics are the same, every single event would be the exact same in both scenarios - A theory and B theory. Eternalism makes no difference.
Again no, because if time does move in an arrow and the future doesn't exist yet it means your decisions matter much more in the end

Again no, because if time does move in an arrow and the future doesn't exist yet it means your decisions matter much more in the end
No, unless your decisions break the laws of physics then it makes absolutely no difference.

No, unless your decisions break the laws of physics then it makes absolutely no difference.
Lemme rephrase, it makes no difference in the universe but depending in what you believe it might shape your current decisions differently.