extractions PRIOR TO SURGERY advice

ImmortalBarbie

ImmortalBarbie

Iron
i'm going to one of the big name surgeons and he suggested i get braces since he thinks it could yield me a much better result/ more movement, however i will need 4 (premolar i believe?) extractions.
i'm wondering if anyone else has had this same procedure done and if it's anything to worry about since everyone always raves about how horrible extractions are.

the braces will likely take a long time (15+ months), so i'm also wondering if i'll just look temporarily worse from the extractions causing my face to get sunken or whatever.

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior
how about he fucking mentions that in his post
i said "i'm going to one of the big name surgeons"

if there’s bi max after, i’m sure the bi max can reverse the effects of the orthodontic retracation
yes but will there be any irreversible consequences even after the surgery? such as elongated face and loss of volume in certain areas of the face

and will my face just continuously look worse during treatment until the surgery?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 40761
No, it's not gonna damage your face.

Your surgeon spent 10 years learning about your facial bones. TEN YEARS. And there are DECADES of research into it.

You think he'd know if extractions damaged a person's face. It doesn't.

Looksmax.org users are jobless teens. They are 16-22, don't have jobs, don't know shit about this
my orthodontist deadass told me “I can do extractions if you want but it’ll be determiental to your look” so no mate, sometimes it can damage ur face. Second of all i got a job i’m actually working thru christmas this year; what u gonna do? moderate .org thru christmas?

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: mvp2v1 and ccwarrior
This random kid on .org said his orthodontist said something?

HOLY SHIT!!!

Game changing. We need to tell Harvard about this
can u give me any evidence why ur right and my ortho is wrong

Why am I suddenly supposed to be the one providing the evidence son ? I'm not the one making up outlandish bullshit.
Burden of proof
clearly retarded, i’m done arguing

Not extracting your teeth is obviously ideal for your smile and overall palate size for breathing, but you need to weigh up whether or not it's worth the time and money for palate expansion. Most maxfacs and orthodontists are just going to suggest extractions because it is way easer and cheaper to prepare for a bimax than going through some sort of palate expansion procedure.

I'm not going to claim that extracting teeth is going to fuck up your face, but you're still removing bone mass - which is never a good thing for the long term.

• +1
Reactions: anticel and mvp2v1
Not extracting your teeth is obviously ideal for your smile and overall palate size for breathing, but you need to weigh up whether or not it's worth the time and money for palate expansion. Most maxfacs and orthodontists are just going to suggest extractions because it is way easer and cheaper to prepare for a bimax than going through some sort of palate expansion procedure.

I'm not going to claim that extracting teeth is going to fuck up your face, but you're still removing bone mass - which is never a good thing for the long term.
Is it possible to get BSSO without extractions? I’m pretty sure some surgeons offer this???

Why would such procedures require extractions in the first place?

They don't do palate expansion because it would make no fucking sense to do that. WHY ARE YOU EVEN REMOTELY TALKING AS IF IT'S AN ALTERNATIVE???
I misread, ignore the palatal expansion spiel.

Link source that says your breathing will get worse after extraction as an adult

Isn't the point of premolar extractions to change the bite before a bimax, to allow for more advancement? This ultimately makes the palate smaller, which would negatively impact breathing. Advancement should cancel this out though, so it's a moot point - breathing would only be effected significantly if a someone only did the extraction orthodontics and didn't follow up with a bimax.

All I'm saying is that extractions should be avoided if possible since you're still removing perfectly good teeth - which definitely causes a loss in jaw bone density over time. But if someone's bite is already decent and they need more advancement, then it's unavoidable.

Is it possible to get BSSO without extractions? I’m pretty sure some surgeons offer this???

Why would such procedures require extractions in the first place?
Why would you need to remove teeth for a BSSO? Sure, it might make it easier but I don't think the split itself requires the extraction of teeth.

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1

i had palatal expansion when i got my first set of braces years ago but my teeth are still extremely flared which is the issue.

I misread, ignore the palatal expansion spiel.

Isn't the point of premolar extractions to change the bite before a bimax, to allow for more advancement? This ultimately makes the palate smaller, which would negatively impact breathing. Advancement should cancel this out though, so it's a moot point - breathing would only be effected significantly if a someone only did the extraction orthodontics and didn't follow up with a bimax.

All I'm saying is that extractions should be avoided if possible since you're still removing perfectly good teeth - which definitely causes a loss in jaw bone density over time. But if someone's bite is already decent and they need more advancement, then it's unavoidable.
98B4E4ED CF6C 4E39 B786 E1F0F17FEDB1

this is what my bite looks like after the braces i had a few years ago (with expansion)

Why would you need to remove teeth for a BSSO? Sure, it might make it easier but I don't think the split itself requires the extraction of teeth.
I’ve been told by a bluepilled orthodontist that I would need extractions for bsso

well decompensating basically is make worse to get better

@ccwarrior dental extractions ruin the face bro

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23391, anticel and ccwarrior
i'm going to one of the big name surgeons and he suggested i get braces since he thinks it could yield me a much better result/ more movement, however i will need 4 (premolar i believe?) extractions.
i'm wondering if anyone else has had this same procedure done and if it's anything to worry about since everyone always raves about how horrible extractions are.

the braces will likely take a long time (15+ months), so i'm also wondering if i'll just look temporarily worse from the extractions causing my face to get sunken or whatever.
removing any teeth is obviously suboptimal. many extractions done are unnecessary and cause harm however in some cases they are needed. looking at the picture you posted this seems to be the case.
a rl friend who is getting revision bimax and in similar shoes as talked with raffaini about this. for him the extractions are necessary for a good result (and most other maxfacs told her the same).