Food and Supplements Affecting Acne

D

Deleted member 1849

heightmaxxer
Foods
This is a guideline only - You don't have to eliminate foods or food groups completely; I suggest you cut back and moderate some food types. The "Try to Reduce" group has been proven to be a problem for most people. We also know that some people have trigger foods such as citrus, but this is not across the board.

Try to reduce Acceptable substitute
Iodides
Iodized SaltSea Salt, Uniodized Salt, Celtic salt
Milk (including organic and especially nonfat)Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Rice Milk
CheeseNut cheese
Whey or Soy Protein Shakes and Protein barsPea Protein, Egg White Powder, Hemp - still check for iodides and biotin before buying (Vega Sport Performance Protein & Perfect Fit are a few safe ones.)
Soy- e.g., tofu,soy milk, tempah, edamame, soy sauce
Seafood, Shellfish, e.g., cod, scallopsFresh Water Fish - lake trout, bass, catfish
Spirulina, Chlorella, Blue-Green Algee
Kelp, Miso Soup, Seaweed, Seaweed Supplements
Vitamins with iodides, iodine, kelp, potassium iodide (also avoid Biotin and B12)
Foods High in Androgens
Peanuts, Peanut butter Almond Butter or other nut butters
Peanut Oil, Corn Oil, Canola OilOlive Oil, Coconut oil
Shellfish
Organ Meats including paté

Supportive Foods/ Beverages
Foods/Beverages
Ceylon Cinnamon
Apple Cider Vinegar
Green Tea especially Matcha
Antioxidant "Helper"- foods high in Selenium
Brazil Nuts
Pinto Beans
Halibut
Wild- caught salmon
Oats
Navy Beans
Chicken
Spinach

Foods/Beverages
Anti-inflammatory Support
Tumeric
Ginger
Green Tea (especially Matcha)
Ceylon Cinnamon
Foods high in Vitamin B3
Crimini Mushrooms
Tuna
Chicken Breast
Fish (Halibut , Salmon, Sardines)
Leafy Greens
Spinach
More Anti-Inflammatory Support
Foods high in Omega-3
Fatty Fish
Salmon
Sardines
Atlantic Mackerel
Anchovies
Herring
White Fish
Omega-3 Enriched Eggs
Walnuts
Deep Leafy Greens - Spinach, Kale, Watercress
Blueberries
Hemp Seeds
Mustard Seed
Brussel Sprouts
Winter Squash
Navy Beans

Foods to Avoid
Foods that cause Inflammation
Trans Fats
Cakes, pies and cookies
Biscuits
Breakfast sandwiches
Margarine (stick and tub)
Crackers
Microwave popcorn
Cream-filled candies
Doughnuts
Overheated fats - baked foods/ fried at high temperatures
Excess Sugar
Omega-6 oils (most vegetable oils) and not enough Omega-3s
Known Food sensitivities (examples - fruit, gluten)

A well-balanced low- glycemic diet can support all aspects of health, including your skin.

Supplements

The following supplements have been found to be useful in aiding your recovery from acne.

Anti-inflammatory Supplements

Zinc Monomethionine

This form of zinc is the most bio-available form that acts directly as an anti-inflammatory. Many people with acne have low levels of zinc in their body. Supplementing with zinc has been shown to reduce the severity of cysts and inflamed lesions.

Omega 3 Fish Oils

Fish oil is a great anti-inflammatory and helps to alter sebum production; HOWEVER, only if it's molecularly distilled or pharmaceutical grade. Unfortunately, many fish oil supplements are oxidized which actually creates more inflammation. So, only take it if you are sure about your source

Gut Health

Probiotics

These are good bacteria that colonize the digestive tract and the skin. They can help people who have been on long term antibiotics ( I'm looking at you @Native ) both oral and topical. These good bacteria compete with pathogenic bacteria and can help improve the incidence of breakouts. Be careful as in my experience supplementing probiotics made my acne worse.

Antioxidant Support

The acne-prone are generally lower in anti-oxidants than the general population. I recommend getting your antioxidants from fresh food sources, but here is the RDA for them.

Vitamin A - 900 mcg

Vitamin C - 90 mg

Vitamin E - 15mg

Zinc - 30 mg

N-Acetylcysteine - 1000 to 1500 mg

Selenium 55mcg (antioxidant assistant)

Insulin Support

Elevated insulin stimulate androgen production which stimulates more oil and increased sensitivity to the androgen's affects on the skin. It's best to get insulin support by wise food choices, but here is the RDA.

Berberine - 500 to 1000 mg

Chromium - 150 mcg

Vitamin D - 400 to 800 IU

Thanks for reading you guys, hope this has helped some of you. @Lorsss this is great info about diet affecting acne. I suggest you pin it.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 6963, Lars, goat2x and 5 others
bump
bump

Last edited:
where are your sources? and clinical studies about that?
even a fucking cod gives you acne? come on
I think most of this is bullshit

Good thread ngl, I've had acne for the past say 6 years and I've slowly learned what foods break me out. A lot of them are on this list. I sort of just look at the foods now and know automatically if they will ever break me out. I never wonder nowadays why my face is broken out, I've pretty much realized everything. Good thread though, very helpful for people like me where diet matters so incredibly much. Also talked to a doctor today and they confirmed my 4 year doxycycline and minocycline use is bad for me so I'm hopping off it tonight based off her advice, she told me my dermatologist should be executed for his crimes.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1849
Ye, why cod? Cod is high in Vitamin A and Omega 3s. Excess B12 causes acne, but taking it every once and awhile is fine. Also almond butter is still high in Omega 6s. More studies are needed in order to determine probiotics effectiveness (I think it's mostly cope). Another really good antioxidant is Quercetin.

Last edited:
  • Ugh..
  • +1
Reactions: Chintuck22 and Deleted member 1849
Ye, why cod? Cod is high in Vitamin A and Omega 3s. Excess B12 causes acne, but taking it every once and awhile is fine. Also almond butter is still high in Omega 6s. More studies are needed in order to determine probiotics effectiveness (I think it's mostly cope). Another really good antioxidant is Quercetin.

Good stuff!
where are your sources? and clinical studies about that?
even a fucking cod gives you acne? come on
I think most of this is bullshit
there are many. google it.

• +1
Reactions: Cope

Good stuff!

there are many. google it.
Great article, that writer is definitely a huge Ray Peater. I like his perspective on supplements, his diet plan is really unhealthy though especially for looksmaxxers. But PUFAs should definitely be kept to a minimum, although I plan to get on SARMs so I need something to sustain HDL and LDL. Btw are you still taking fish oil? I'm assuming you can't find a source that won't go rancid, right?

• Ugh..
Reactions: Chintuck22
Great article, that writer is definitely a huge Ray Peater. I like his perspective on supplements, his diet plan is really unhealthy though especially for looksmaxxers. But PUFAs should definitely be kept to a minimum, although I plan to get on SARMs so I need something to sustain HDL and LDL. Btw are you still taking fish oil? I'm assuming you can't find a source that won't go rancid, right?
I hopped of SARMS about a week ago, due to blood clot concerns. Don't do it. If your gonna do PEDS I suggest going for regular test, even then I don't recommend it.

Keeping HDL and LDL going I used Throne Fish Oil and did some 1g Niacin flushes.

I hopped of SARMS about a week ago, due to blood clot concerns. Don't do it. If your gonna do PEDS I suggest going for regular test, even then I don't recommend it.

Keeping HDL and LDL going I used Throne Fish Oil and did some 1g Niacin flushes.
You quit them forreal? Damn, I hope we're not out of options brother...

• WTF
  • So Sad
Reactions: Chintuck22 and Deleted member 1849
You quit them forreal? Damn, I hope we're not out of options brother...
The vains in my legs started hurting, the reason I started because I was too lazy to train natty. One night I just thought it wasn't worth it, they're not even for human consumption. So I'm training natty now. Whey protein, Creatine, Fish Oil and maybe PQQ. Will help me the most.