Game development

Spiritualcell

Spiritualcell

Very spiritual
Hello, I've been working on a single-player open world horror game in which you have to track down and kill a monster. Currently In the game, you begin in an apartment and can then purchase weapons on your computer using in-game dollars (NO MICROTRANSACTIONS). Then you choose which monster to hunt. There is currently only one monster in the game. After picking, you'll spawn in the game map. It is full of fauna such as bears, deer, wolves, and enemy humans known as forest hunters who set traps throughout the area. The gameplay loop works as follows: You can find the monster by walking around the map and by placing cameras around the map that you can then watch through. To be clear the game is heavily inspired by games such as finding bigfoot. But I'm looking to make the unique. When you locate the creature and fight it with your weapons, it will attack. It will flee once it has been harmed for a certain amount of health. Then you'll have to track down the creature again. This loop continues until you kill the monster, at which point you win the game and return to your apartment, where you can choose the next monster to hunt. I know this gameplay loop sounds a bit boring, but it's been done before and it actually works. The game was highly influenced by games like Finding Bigfoot, which use this exact gameplay loop. I'm seeking for suggestions/ideas/feedback. Here's a short YouTube video featuring some of the things I've implemented. The video features a couple of things: Forest hunter gunfight, Car alarm jump scare, lighting hitting tree event and tree falling event. Please disregard the lag and debug stuff. (I also asked for thoughts on reddit, so this is copypasta)

I still don't have a name for the game. Please share your ideas.

@thecel

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: TechnoBoss, Lookologist003, falcon1 and 11 others
Hello, I've been working on a single-player open world horror game in which you have to track down and kill a monster. Currently In the game, you begin in an apartment and can then purchase weapons on your computer using in-game dollars (NO MICROTRANSACTIONS). Then you choose which monster to hunt. There is currently only one monster in the game. After picking, you'll spawn in the game map. It is full of fauna such as bears, deer, wolves, and enemy humans known as forest hunters who set traps throughout the area. The gameplay loop works as follows: You can find the monster by walking around the map and by placing cameras around the map that you can then watch through. To be clear the game is heavily inspired by games such as finding bigfoot. But I'm looking to make the unique. When you locate the creature and fight it with your weapons, it will attack. It will flee once it has been harmed for a certain amount of health. Then you'll have to track down the creature again. This loop continues until you kill the monster, at which point you win the game and return to your apartment, where you can choose the next monster to hunt. I know this gameplay loop sounds a bit boring, but it's been done before and it actually works. The game was highly influenced by games like Finding Bigfoot, which use this exact gameplay loop. I'm seeking for suggestions/ideas/feedback. Here's a short YouTube video featuring some of the things I've implemented. The video features a couple of things: Forest hunter gunfight, Car alarm jump scare, lighting hitting tree event and tree falling event. Please disregard the lag and debug stuff. (I also asked for thoughts on reddit, so this is copypasta)

@thecel

Games are the worst way to make money. Just spam shitty games till ones hit if you aren't a aaa studio or some well known indie developer.

• +1
  • Woah
  • JFL
Reactions: mogstars, Soychadcell, Sleeper and 8 others
Games are the worst way to make money. Just spam shitty games till ones hit if you aren't a aaa studio or some well known indie developer.
It's an interesting idea. I might try it out if my game fails.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss, falcon1, poopoohead and 1 other person
Shitty LARP

• JFL
Reactions: thecel and Spiritualcell
Shitty LARP
Where's the larp?

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: TechnoBoss, thecel and AngryShortMale
How many people worked on this?

• +1
Reactions: Spiritualcell
How many people worked on this?
Just me
I have a feeling you somehow stole much of the SCUM's *i dont remember the game's name* repo, the textures buildings look eerily familiar.
I haven't stolen anything. Everything is either bought off the marketplace or made by me.

I can find the cabin used on the marketplace if you would like.

• +1
  • Love it
  • Hmm...
Reactions: TechnoBoss, Kasanova, thecel and 2 others

@thecel

This reminds me that I should get back on Unreal, i wanna make like a mog battle royale or something idk

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Lookologist003 and Spiritualcell
Your character looks like shit lad, might wanna work on your specular and normal maps on it. Also your world is lit like shit. Rebuild lighting
I like criticism, but yours is embarrassingly stupid.
First off, the character I'm guessing you're referring to first-person hands. This is a metahuman. Unreal Engine's state-of-the art customizable character It's amazing. So for you to say it looks shit, it just makes no sense at all. When you're saying it looks like shit, you aren't insulting my work. I didn't make that character; I haven't touched the textures or the topology. You're saying metahumans look shit. like what?

Then there's the lightning. I'm using ultra-dynamic sky. One of the best assets on the unreal engine marketplace + 4 dynamic shadow cascades I'm not using lumen or ray tracing, so it could be better, but again, it should be very good. Please, if you have some insight as to why it's "shit", please enlighten me.

Also It's nice to another person on this forum who is familiar with Unreal engine.
HighresScreenshot00004

How is this bad lighting?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss and Mr. President
  • JFL
Reactions: mogstars, Deleted member 31155, LooksThinker and 1 other person
Stopped reading. Have fun with the next failed indie game of the year
50 cent laughing GIF
Even if I fail 10 times over, I can wake up every day and thank God that I'm not as subhuman as you.

JFL at this dude's utterly pathetic, weak trash frame. (Don't forget every other trait of his being subhuman and beyond.)

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: blackckatt, poopoohead, Whatashame and 1 other person
Even if I fail 10 times over, I can wake up every day and thank God that I'm not as subhuman as you.
View attachment 2394336
JFL at this dude's utterly pathetic, weak trash frame. (Don't forget every other trait of his being subhuman and beyond.)
Just use a picture of me from before you were born and while i was going through puberty theory.

As a rebuttal, I can wake up every day and thank God that I have some IQ left inside of my brain after being on this site for 3 years. Yours has already rotted away, if you had any to begin with.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: mogstars, poopoohead and Spiritualcell
If you want to focus on the horror aspect of it I would probably remove traditional fps weapons and change them for more unique ones.

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead and Spiritualcell
If you want to focus on the horror aspect of it I would probably remove traditional fps weapons and change them for more unique ones.
I've mostly done this.
Currently I've the following weapons in the game:
- M416
- Pump Shotgun
- Double barrel Shotgun
- Scuffed Flamethrower
- Hunting Rifle
- Crossbow
- Bow
- Handgun
- Flaregun
- Knife
- Sword
- Frag grenade
- Beartrap
- Mine
*Not including other items such as bait or cameras

Most of these weapons are either endgame or rarely found in the game world like m416 that shit would be op. So it only unlocks once you've already beaten all the monsters. Weapons such as the handgun or hunting rifle will be the starting weapons you will play most with.

When you say 'unique' do you mean like golden vintage revolver or stuff like that?

• +1
Reactions: LooksThinker
I'm in the process of designing a mobile game app atm.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: poopoohead, Spiritualcell and LooksThinker
Impressive if you really did that all alone.

• Love it
  • +1
  • +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss and poopoohead
  • +1
Reactions: falcon1, poopoohead and Spiritualcell
ER simulator

• Hmm...
I´m not game developer or coder but i know how hard making game like yours is.
I was just wondering if you were coming from a place of experience. It's rare to be around fellow game devs, so I'm not really sure if what I've made is impressive or not.

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
it looks so good

• Woah
I was just wondering if you were coming from a place of experience. It's rare to be around fellow game devs, so I'm not really sure if what I've made is impressive or not.
I don´t know how much time you have spend for that game but if i didn´t know concept of that video, i would thought that it was a real game studio made game.

• Love it
It's not that impressive of a job from the standpoint of developer. However, game looks great. How long did it take?

In the age of Unity and UE most games people make are fps, so there are thousands of assets readily available like you said. The tree mechanics look great though, so does majority of your game. I don't mean to put you down, it's great work for a solo dev!

Do you do c++ or blueprints btw?

If you do plan to make money I'd suggest getting a BuildBox license, putting out a game or multiple games a day and paying for ads. Jonestly I think it's a far better strategy than doing things from scratch. When you learn Voodoo, Ketchapp and other scam companies are making mad money it looks like a cheatcode. You don't even have to come up with ideas just use their templates.

I used to think BuildBox, Construct, blueprints in UE and even any libraries anf assets are all just shit and not 'real development' but now when I do complex coding projects I realize the power those brings when you want to get job done as fast as possible.

I encourage you to keep working on this game as it's a great project to show off and may land you a good job if you complete it some day, although it likely won't make you big bucks. Good job again!

• Love it
It's not that impressive of a job from the standpoint of developer. However, game looks great. How long did it take?

In the age of Unity and UE most games people make are fps, so there are thousands of assets readily available like you said. The tree mechanics look great though, so does majority of your game. I don't mean to put you down, it's great work for a solo dev!

If you do plan to make money I'd suggest getting a BuildBox license, putting out a game or multiple games a day and paying for ads. Jonestly I think it's a far better strategy than doing things from scratch. When you learn Voodoo, Ketchapp and other scam companies are making mad money it looks like a cheatcode. You don't even have to come up with ideas just use their templates.

I used to think BuildBox, Construct, blueprints in UE and even any libraries anf assets are all just shit and not 'real development' but now when I do complex coding projects I realize the power those brings when you want to get job done as fast as possible.

I encourage you to keep working on this game as it's a great project to show off and may land you a good job if you complete it some day, although it likely won't make you big bucks. Good job again!
can u make a 3d game in assembly?

• JFL
Finally a guy that knows what he's talking about.
How long did it take?
Are you referring to the accumulated time spent developing specifically the things shown in the video? Well, the lightning hitting the tree took like 10 hours in total. The falling tree took maybe 30 minutes. The fundamental first-person shooter system took maybe 100 hours to make.
As for how long I've been working on the project, it's been 9 months now. I started like 10–11 months ago working with the Unreal Engine with zero experience in anything related to game development.
so there are thousands of assets readily available like you said.
Indeed, and I've certainly taken advantage of that. I didn't start making my own models until 2 months ago, so pretty much every 3D model you see in the video is from the marketplace.

The last time I answered that question, I was bashed, so I'm a bit hesitant to answer lol. I exclusively use blueprints. I do own one or two C++ plugins, but that's it. I've heard blueprints have shitty performance and that *real* programming is just so much faster in terms of performance. Although I'm not so sure how big the performance difference is.

If you do plan to make money I'd suggest getting a BuildBox license
Well, I do want to make money, but I'm really only interested in using the Unreal Engine. From a Google search, Buildbox seems to be an entirely different platform, so I'm not really interested.

Thank you. I intend to finish it this year.

Also video showing the gore system:
EDIT: Video is lagging for some reason, let me reupload.

@crisis
@LooksThinker
@JovenCansao
@Member since 2022
@Tylermax
@thecel

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: TechnoBoss, LooksThinker, JovenCansao and 3 others
  • Love it
Well, I do want to make money, but I'm really only interested in using the Unreal Engine. From a Google search, Buildbox seems to be an entirely different platform, so I'm not really interested.
It is a completely different platform and takes away any development knowledge, all you do is use template, change it up a bit and you're done. This is how most hypercasual mobile games are made. I just suggested it as a way to run "hypercasual game business" if you are serious about making money, cause all you can get is respect from fellow developers otherwise (which isn't that bad but many people seem to think money in game dev comes from good games, while it actually comes from reskining same shit).

• +1
can u make a 3d game in assembly?
I actually think a pseudo 3d game is feasible in assembly (think original DOOM) provided you learn how to do graphics and simple 2d games. It just becomes a lot of math. E. g. learn this https://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/ and you may develop it one day.

• +1
I actually think a pseudo 3d game is feasible in assembly (think original DOOM) provided you learn how to do graphics and simple 2d games. It just becomes a lot of math. E. g. learn this https://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/ and you may develop it one day.
everything is 0 and 1s so if u learn binary and assembly you can make everything u want?

• +1
everything is 0 and 1s so if u learn binary and assembly you can make everything u want?
Lol binary doesn't compare to assembly. If you learn assembly you can build a lot of things with enough determination. RollerCoaster Tycoon was written in assembly completely by a single person.

I've actually wanted to build an emulator in assembly but lost interest due to pursuing other technologies (think ML, NLP, etc).

Binary, Brainfuck, JSFuck and similar languages are just beyond this world...

• +1
Concept sounds interesting (I like shooting stuff) 4 PSL.

you have to track down and kill a monster.
I don't see why it has to be about killing me though.

• Hmm...
I've mostly done this.
Currently I've the following weapons in the game:
- M416
- Pump Shotgun
- Double barrel Shotgun
- Scuffed Flamethrower
- Hunting Rifle
- Crossbow
- Bow
- Handgun
- Flaregun
- Knife
- Sword
- Frag grenade
- Beartrap
- Mine
*Not including other items such as bait or cameras

Most of these weapons are either endgame or rarely found in the game world like m416 that shit would be op. So it only unlocks once you've already beaten all the monsters. Weapons such as the handgun or hunting rifle will be the starting weapons you will play most with.

When you say 'unique' do you mean like golden vintage revolver or stuff like that?
More non-lethal weapons maybe, with that current arsenal, unless the monsters you plan on hunting are heavily armored or you plan on implementing a health bar like in evolve, it will feel more action based and the horror element won't be present imo.

Kinda like what they did in alien isolation. Imagine if you had standard marine arsenal in that game, the alien wouldn't be that much of a threat alone.

• +1
More non-lethal weapons maybe, with that current arsenal, unless the monsters you plan on hunting are heavily armored or you plan on implementing a health bar like in evolve, it will feel more action based and the horror element won't be present imo.

Kinda like what they did in alien isolation. Imagine if you had standard marine arsenal in that game, the alien wouldn't be that much of a threat alone.
Tbh, you're right. Any ideas for weapons like that?

Note: Can't be too non-lethal. A melee fight with the monster for example is pretty goofy.

• +1
Reactions: JovenCansao and poopoohead
Tbh, you're right. Any ideas for weapons like that?

Note: Can't be too non-lethal. A melee fight with the monster for example is pretty goofy.
you should add a laser cyborg railgun that freezes enemies for 5 seconds and makes them move slower

• Woah
please add anime girls skins as fan Service your shit would blow up and attract weebs 👍🏻

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Spiritualcell and Deleted member 31155
please add anime girls skins as fan Service your shit would blow up and attract weebs 👍🏻View attachment 2395932
I've thought about this.
You would be able to choose the model in the settings, but only after you've completed the game. There would be an anime girl version and a furry version. Just for the memes.
Unironically, I might actually do this. It would be simple to implement, and it alone could drive a notable increase in reviews per customer. I can already imagine steam reviews like this: "Hentai Girl Must Play."

Last edited:
  • Love it
  • +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss and lunin7
I made a little montage video showing off some random shit:

Unfortunately youtube fucks up the bitrate, so It's not quite as good as It should be.

@crisis
@JovenCansao
@thecel
@LooksThinker
@lunin7
@Tylermax
@SlavicGeneral

• Love it
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: JovenCansao, thecel, Tylermax and 2 others
  • JFL
He just bought random shit off the marketplace and pasted it in. He's the next YandereDev except without the cult of personality and an actually interesting plot.
Seething because I exposed your subhumanity in broad daylight? How truly sad this is... Indeed, what a pitiful situation this young man is in.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss
Seething because I exposed your subhumanity in broad daylight? How truly sad this is... Indeed, what a pitiful situation this young man is in.
You are NOT shakespeare bro

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

• +1
You are NOT shakespeare bro

Well, you're standing tall (Doubt it) and proud. Safe from judgment. (If only that were also the case for your appearance.) So, let's see your work. I permit you to present your game/project.

• +1
Reactions: TechnoBoss
Safe from judgment. (If only that were also the case for your appearance.)
When a literal sub500 post blocked from Best of the Best bluecel criticizes my appearance off of pictures from 3+years ago:
Connor murphy lookism
Connor murphy lookism
Connor murphy lookism
Connor murphy lookism
Connor murphy lookism
Connor murphy lookism

@Psychophilly

• +1
Good idea, but your gameplay is boring. i'd rather hunt monsters with mele weapons. this game will fail in steam.

• +1
Reactions: Pikabro and Spiritualcell

@thecel

This should just be a passion project. Keep making the game and when you feel like it’s done, advertise it on YouTube and hope people actually play it

• +1
Reactions: Pikabro and Spiritualcell
This should just be a passion project. Keep making the game and when you feel like it’s done, advertise it on YouTube and hope people actually play it
My plan is to compile a massive list of youtubers with 10k to a million subscribers who play similar games to mine. Then I'll send an email to their business email (which is usually located in the about section on YouTube) with my game pitch and a steam key (which basically allows you to play something for free). I've never done this before, so I'm not sure how many youtubers I need to email before one of them plays the fucking game. But I'd say it's very unlikely, and it's even less likely the higher the subscriber count, because they get a lot of emails like the one I'm planning to send. I'm going to guess 1 in 100. What would you estimate?

Also it is a passion project. I just also happen to find moneymaxxing enjoyable. So I will attempt to maximize profits. I don't expect this game to make bank. I would estimate a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars at most.
Good idea, but your gameplay is boring. i'd rather hunt monsters with mele weapons. this game will fail in steam.
That could be interesting, but it would take a lot of work to create rewarding melee gameplay that is also scary. In the game, I have a sword and a knife. But I don't intend for them to be very useful. It's more for show than anything else. The sword, in particular, is a sort of collectible. It has melee animations and can be used to kill, but it isn't nearly as effective as a ranged weapon. As for the knife, it cost me about 30 euros (not worth it at all), so I kind of had to implement it.

We'll see if the game fails. I will be sure to make an update thread when the game releases.

Last edited: