• +1
Reactions: Good_Little_Goy and Htobrother
Ive been drinking green tea for the last 2 months just for fun
it tastes like the bath water my grandma died in

• JFL
  • +1
  • Ugh..
Reactions: hattrick, LostYouth, Bewusst and 2 others
The only way you will lose weight is if you are under your maintenance calories.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 3323, Baldingman1998, Deleted member 6403 and 2 others
Enjoy your hot cup of liquid cope

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Chintuck22 and Htobrother
The only way you will lose weight is if you are under your maintenance calories.
Yes but it works very slow , takes months if you are in a slight deficit and I want to build muscle too

lowers T

• So Sad
Reactions: Htobrother
Interesting.

Study: Epicatechin Supplementation Inhibits Aerobic Adaptations to Cycling Exercise in Humans

There is one study that showed no increase in myostatin mRNA expression, however it only tested while cycling and was primarily focused on aerobic effects and if anything it showed that it inhibited it.

"Additionally, (–)-epicatechin appeared to inhibit adaptations in relative peak aerobic power and skeletal muscle SDH protein content, compared with the placebo "

View attachment 470646
" Figure 5. Fold change in the skeletal muscle myostatin mRNA expression. Error bars represent ±one standard deviation from the mean "

Their doseage was similar to what other studies have been using, however not the same brand. OP, what doesage are you on?

" The current study includes limitations. A major limitation of this study is that plasma (–)-epicatechin was not measured. Although the dose administered has previously been reported to increase plasma (–)-epicatechin (34), the current study does not use the same brand of (–)-epicatechin and thus may not result in similar bioavailability. "

However they linked to previous studies that show an increase in:

"Epicatechin has been shown, by multiple studies, to increase capillary and mitochondrial density, decrease myostatin expression and increase follistatin expression in humans (12, 24) "

Will check them out now.

Study: Effects of (−)-epicatechin on molecular modulators of skeletal muscle growth and differentiation

This study has both a human component and mice one.

We examined the effects of aging on protein levels of recognized modulators of SkM growth (myostatin, follistatin) [8], senescence-associated β-galactosidase (SA-β-Gal) [9] and myogenic differentiation (myogenin, MyoD, MEF2A, Myf5) [10] and report on the effects of Epi treatment in young (6 month old, n=5/group) and old (26 month, n=5/group) C57BL/6 male mice. For these studies, quadriceps muscle samples were obtained from mice treated for 2 weeks with either vehicle by gavage (water) or Epi (1 mg/kg BID) and immediately frozen. Studies in animals were approved by UCSD's IACUC.

Frozen, quadriceps SkM samples were obtained from a human biopsy tissue bank and were used to compare the same markers as above, in normal young (28.5±7 years, n=6) vs. old (62±2 years, n=6) subjects. An initial, pilot study was also performed in human subjects (n=6, average age 41±5 years and weight 77.4±7.7 Kg) to assess the effects of Epi treatment on muscle strength and plasma levels of myostatin and follistatin. Plasma myostatin and follistatin levels can change in association with those in muscle in response to, for example, exercise [11,12] and were thus, used as a surrogate for possible responses occurring in SkM. Human subjects were treated for 7 days with 25 mg of pure Epi (Sigma-Aldrich) provided in capsules BID (~1 mg/kg/day). Muscle strength was assessed by hand grip dynamometry (thrice with each hand, alternating hands between trials and resting for 10 seconds in order to prevent fatigue). Maximum strength attained was used for analysis. Blood (plasma) samples were collected before and after treatment and immediately frozen. Studies in human subjects were approved by the Instituto Politecnico Nacional IRB board and conform to all international regulations.

The results in the human study show an effect in only 7 days - grip strenght in human increased by approximately 7%.

7% INCREASE IN 7 DAYS. NOT ONLY THAT BUT THIS INCREASE WAS WITHOUT ANY PHYSICAL TRAINING UNDER THESE 7 DAYS.

In addition, "... which was accompanied by a significant increase (49.2 ± 16.6 %) in the ratio of plasma follistatin/myostatin levels (data not shown). " Which is a similar improvement in comparision to the rats.

I mainly took green tea extract for the fat inhibition properities in combination with the longevity aspect however I massively decreased my doseage and frequency of dosing after getting concerned about toxicity. I will now go back to my original doseage and look for a supplement with epicatechin.

The doesage level in the aforementioned study was 25mg of Epicatechin. Which is interesting to me personally because one of my favorite bodybuilders is a huge believer in eating a few dozen grams of 90% dark chocolate which would get up to around this doesage.

Seems like I will look into more of the toxicity aspects of this, since this study mentions, " . In rats given a green tea extract, the no-observable-adverse-effect level for daily dosing for 6 months corresponded to 85 mg Epi/kg [17], far in excess of the dose used in our published study where we demonstrated increases in exercise capacity of ≈ 50% with 1 mg/Kg BID Epi treatment [6]. "

85mg/kg is a huge amount however this is in relation to epicatechin and not the polyphenols and EGCG that I became worried about earlier.

Have not yet read: Epicatechin enhances mitochondrial biogenesis, increases dystrophin and utrophin, increases follistatin while decreasing myostatin, and improves skeletal muscle exercise response in adults with Becker muscular dystrophy (BMD)

Might read it later we will see but yeah this 100% deserves to be tested out by humanities bleeding edge lab rats otherwise known as looksmaxxers.

Also it seems that EGCG might reduce throyid function so if you have impaired function you probably want to research this more or avoid this entirely however you can just get pure epicatechin.

Cross posted in case anyone cares.

• +1
Reactions: Htobrother
episode 15 drinking GIF