(High IQ) Flexion and extension of skull, why craniosacral rhythm matter (occlusion and posture)

poehavshy

poehavshy

Iron
There are respiratory and cardiac rhythms in our body, but there is also a craniosacral rhythm (CSR). This rhythm occurs due to the pulsating activity of the brain. The wave is transmitted to the meninges, the bones of the skull, and also spreads to the whole body through the body fluids system.
I 18

The two main bones that trigger the craniosacral rhythm (it is also called PRM — the primary respiratory mechanism) are the sphenoid bone and the occipital bone. SBS is a sphenobasilar synchondrosis, in other words, a joint between the sphenoid and occipital bones. The final fusion of these two bones does not occur, and mobility between them persists throughout life. Such a connection of bones is necessary for the cranial rhythm to take place in our body.
I 17
 2 1024x1024
During the flexion phase, the skull opens like a bud, at the extension, it closes.
Movements in the bones of the skull are triggered by the SBS, i.e. initially the sphenoid and occipital bones make their movements, and then the bones of the facial and cerebral skull are involved in flexion and extension. The occipital bone sets in motion the temporal bone, the parietal bone, the lower jaw, the hyoid bone and the sacrum, all other bones of the skull are inflected by the sphenoid bone.
Too much flexion and you have:
Big round bloated head shape
Big prominent eyes
Zygomatic arches, brow ridges, angles of the lower jaw are smoothed
Protruding ears
More endomorph body shape
933F4D2D 4C62 4B4E 873C 73052CC745B0

In this type of cranial deformation, the fixation of the occipital and sphenoid bones of the skull occurs towards the phase of flexion (expansion). And the movement of bones in the phase of extension becomes smaller in amplitude. Such deviations become chronic and are reflected in the posture and the whole state of the body. The flexion type is characterized by hydrocephalus, bronchial problems, headaches, myopia and pain in the lumbar spine. Such fixation may have intrauterine causes, especially with the clamping of the umbilical cord, or it may be a mechanical injury received at birth, as well as when falling on the coccyx or feet.

Too much extension and you have:
The shape of the head is elongated and the vertical size of the skull is increased
Forehead is high
Eyes are small and deep set in a bad way
Ears tend to press against the skull
Narrow nose
Narrow mouth
More ectomorph body
E29E735A ADCA 46EE 9861 9EEAF549C1C1

In this type of cranial deformation, fixation of the occipital and sphenoid bones of the skull occurs, respectively, towards the phase of extension (compression). The amplitude of bone movement in the direction of expansion is limited. The extensional type is characterized by chronic rhinopharyngitis, hyperopia, problems with the lumbar spine and the seventh cervical vertebra. Fixation of this type, in addition to intrauterine causes and birth injuries, often occurs due to injuries to the occipital region of the head. If during the previous cranial deformation the palate is flattened, then with hyperextension its "Gothic" (high arched) shape is formed.
Slide 23

All seams must breathe. Mobility should be maintained in all seams. But it may happen that the movement between the two bones in the seam is limited. It's like the bones are locked together and can't uncouple. This condition is called somatic suture dysfunction.
I 16

(All bones may be in different patterns, but there is a correlation between the deformation of an individual bone and the skull as a whole)
02D0913C A5C6 47C7 A872 CB07B823288E

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: nobodyspecial369, triggr, 5'7 zoomer and 8 others
This shit regulates itself

Where did you learn this from?

• +1
Reactions: poehavshy
Where did you learn this from?
I don't know, just browsing too much reddit, the great work and other various places about posture, skull and occlusion, also just observe real life and people

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 23778 and Deleted member 16371
  • +1
  • Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero, PURE ARYAN GENETICS, WagedandReady and 2 others
What does it mean if your skull is more the top than the bottom?
Tendency to class 3 malocclusion, but not always, maybe you in normal range, this is more about vertical strain of skull, but irl long faced, narrow headed people often have more recessed mandible to manilla and otherwise

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: AscendingHero and thereallegend
Tendency to class 3 malocclusion, but not always, maybe you in normal range, this is more about vertical strain of skull, but irl long faced, narrow headed people often have more recessed mandible to manilla and otherwise
I get that but I mean is it due to more extension or flexion?

Edit: I definitely am Class 3 anyway and my skull resembles that one much more than the other one.

• Woah
Reactions: thereallegend
Wi
I get that but I mean is it due to more extension or flexion?

Edit: I definitely am Class 3 anyway and my skull resembles that one much more than the other one.
Without face and health problems it's difficult to say but I think it's more flexion

Would someone undergoing bimax (with a class II malocclusion) need to be more mindful of their breathing pattern and habits post-surgery?

Could old breathing patterns sabotage the results by themselves, or would mewing with correct form be sufficient maintenance? Thanks for sharing. Also, Essentials of facial growth is top shelf Looksmax lit

Last edited:
Would someone undergoing bimax (with a class II malocclusion) need to be more mindful of their breathing pattern and habits post-surgery?

Could old breathing patterns sabotage the results by themselves, or would mewing with correct form be sufficient maintenance? Thanks for sharing. Also, Essentials of facial growth is top shelf Looksmax lit
Relapse in orthognatic surgery is common problem, it's better to correct posture patterns, but don't overthink it

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and WagedandReady
You need highly adaptive body, you need to be alert and quick, but not constant fight or flight mode, growth and development only occur in rest, fast reaction - fast relaxation

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, AscendingHero and PURE ARYAN GENETICS
There are respiratory and cardiac rhythms in our body, but there is also a craniosacral rhythm (CSR). This rhythm occurs due to the pulsating activity of the brain. The wave is transmitted to the meninges, the bones of the skull, and also spreads to the whole body through the body fluids system.View attachment 2012091
The two main bones that trigger the craniosacral rhythm (it is also called PRM — the primary respiratory mechanism) are the sphenoid bone and the occipital bone. SBS is a sphenobasilar synchondrosis, in other words, a joint between the sphenoid and occipital bones. The final fusion of these two bones does not occur, and mobility between them persists throughout life. Such a connection of bones is necessary for the cranial rhythm to take place in our body.View attachment 2012092View attachment 2012093During the flexion phase, the skull opens like a bud, at the extension, it closes.
Movements in the bones of the skull are triggered by the SBS, i.e. initially the sphenoid and occipital bones make their movements, and then the bones of the facial and cerebral skull are involved in flexion and extension. The occipital bone sets in motion the temporal bone, the parietal bone, the lower jaw, the hyoid bone and the sacrum, all other bones of the skull are inflected by the sphenoid bone.
Big prominent eyes
Protruding ears
More endomorph body shapeView attachment 2012095
In this type of cranial deformation, the fixation of the occipital and sphenoid bones of the skull occurs towards the phase of flexion (expansion). And the movement of bones in the phase of extension becomes smaller in amplitude. Such deviations become chronic and are reflected in the posture and the whole state of the body. The flexion type is characterized by hydrocephalus, bronchial problems, headaches, myopia and pain in the lumbar spine. Such fixation may have intrauterine causes, especially with the clamping of the umbilical cord, or it may be a mechanical injury received at birth, as well as when falling on the coccyx or feet.View attachment 2012096
The shape of the head is elongated and the vertical size of the skull is increased
Forehead is high
Narrow nose
Narrow mouth
More ectomorph bodyView attachment 2012097
In this type of cranial deformation, fixation of the occipital and sphenoid bones of the skull occurs, respectively, towards the phase of extension (compression). The amplitude of bone movement in the direction of expansion is limited. The extensional type is characterized by chronic rhinopharyngitis, hyperopia, problems with the lumbar spine and the seventh cervical vertebra. Fixation of this type, in addition to intrauterine causes and birth injuries, often occurs due to injuries to the occipital region of the head. If during the previous cranial deformation the palate is flattened, then with hyperextension its "Gothic" (high arched) shape is formed.View attachment 2012098
All seams must breathe. Mobility should be maintained in all seams. But it may happen that the movement between the two bones in the seam is limited. It's like the bones are locked together and can't uncouple. This condition is called somatic suture dysfunction. View attachment 2012099
(All bones may be in different patterns, but there is a correlation between the deformation of an individual bone and the skull as a whole)View attachment 2012103
Fuck, finally people in the black pill comunity understand that neck and head posture are crucial for how the skull develop because they influence the sphenoid. Many many people are also recessed because they had since their childhood a forward head posture, which is correlated with lower jaw recession, almost everyone in fact walk with the head tilted upward, only chads have good posture. That's why even after bimax you must keep a good posture and chewing with a good pattern, otherwise relapse will come soon.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer, poehavshy and AscendingHero
wrong

• +1
Reactions: ccwarrior
There are respiratory and cardiac rhythms in our body, but there is also a craniosacral rhythm (CSR). This rhythm occurs due to the pulsating activity of the brain. The wave is transmitted to the meninges, the bones of the skull, and also spreads to the whole body through the body fluids system.View attachment 2012091
The two main bones that trigger the craniosacral rhythm (it is also called PRM — the primary respiratory mechanism) are the sphenoid bone and the occipital bone. SBS is a sphenobasilar synchondrosis, in other words, a joint between the sphenoid and occipital bones. The final fusion of these two bones does not occur, and mobility between them persists throughout life. Such a connection of bones is necessary for the cranial rhythm to take place in our body.View attachment 2012092View attachment 2012093During the flexion phase, the skull opens like a bud, at the extension, it closes.
Big prominent eyes
Protruding ears
More endomorph body shapeView attachment 2012095
In this type of cranial deformation, the fixation of the occipital and sphenoid bones of the skull occurs towards the phase of flexion (expansion). And the movement of bones in the phase of extension becomes smaller in amplitude. Such deviations become chronic and are reflected in the posture and the whole state of the body. The flexion type is characterized by hydrocephalus, bronchial problems, headaches, myopia and pain in the lumbar spine. Such fixation may have intrauterine causes, especially with the clamping of the umbilical cord, or it may be a mechanical injury received at birth, as well as when falling on the coccyx or feet.View attachment 2012096
Forehead is high
Narrow nose
Narrow mouth
More ectomorph bodyView attachment 2012097
In this type of cranial deformation, fixation of the occipital and sphenoid bones of the skull occurs, respectively, towards the phase of extension (compression). The amplitude of bone movement in the direction of expansion is limited. The extensional type is characterized by chronic rhinopharyngitis, hyperopia, problems with the lumbar spine and the seventh cervical vertebra. Fixation of this type, in addition to intrauterine causes and birth injuries, often occurs due to injuries to the occipital region of the head. If during the previous cranial deformation the palate is flattened, then with hyperextension its "Gothic" (high arched) shape is formed.View attachment 2012098
All seams must breathe. Mobility should be maintained in all seams. But it may happen that the movement between the two bones in the seam is limited. It's like the bones are locked together and can't uncouple. This condition is called somatic suture dysfunction. View attachment 2012099
(All bones may be in different patterns, but there is a correlation between the deformation of an individual bone and the skull as a whole)View attachment 2012103
thank you for the info, but i’m bummed the thread was so short. it didnt quite give me the answers i was looking for.
something to look into later: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7550223/

1) does flexion occur when you breathe in or out? It says in the Url i linked that flexion is accompanied by the sacrum being pulled upwards (lower orange part near the hip in this video )

ok now i understand your first picture. To summarize, when cranial flexion occurs, that is the orange line, the head rotates and expands upwards and to the left (towards front of body) it seems while the sacrum gets pulled upwards. When extension occurs (blue), the opposite happens- the neurocranium rotates backwards (over time of extension pattern is dominant this would lead to the more sagitally long skulls characteristic of doli)
0A47E510 CF42 48C4 B297 AE9577537C2D

brachy skulls (right) are sagittally short (red line) and transversely wide (blue line) , doli the opposite
K35bQe_ZZMM15TYHe2hAznLQaqP58wY6i736Nc0uMa22sJbL1FR3r0mnrIKxqqnjNh_S2tDYMGmcaDu9Z7uJvTE6FIgmYQy_HNvtMVvGX94y9vwazkYUybcloDGA8E8ZNhOs84QV26tTgQepPy_OedQ

sacrum
27BEFDEE D23E 45AD 8E34 E184AB7AA154

2) Can heavily leaning flexion or extension patterns be mitigated? That is, if one has too much flexion causing the related issues you mentioned, can he somehow change his breathing pattern or do anything to go in the other direction towards more extension and vice versa? i imagine so, as the body can adapt

@poehavshy please your inputs would mean a lot, this interests me and i’m seeking answers

My conclusions from this (i only learned about this today so i may be wrong) is that if you have a brachy skull (wide), then you likely have a more dominant flexion pattern, whereas if you have a doli skull (tall narrow), you likely have more dominant extension pattern.

Now the big question is how do you change the pattern if you are leaning too much towards one extreme and want to get closer to balance and harmony

@AscendingHero i know you have a lot of info. any insights or people you could tag who might know?

Last edited:
are flexion extension patterns related to the way one breathes (i have no idea just theorizing).

Edit : looked into this and yes it is related to breathing patterns. flexion = posterior tilt (sacrum lifting) (orange line) = inhale

and extension = exhale

from the orange and blue pic above

So my theory is… if you have too much flexion (brachy wide skull) then to go in the other direction, you should exhale longer??

And if you have too much extension (doli to narrow skull), then focus on inhaling longer than you exhale??

I have no idea this is just theory. Please someone tell me what you think of this

i think that the pressure from breathing would be too minor to make any changes past a very young. one thing i notice is that the hyper-flexion skull usually has a wider flatter palate and that the hyper-extension usually has a narrow long palate. the different distribution of pressure when the teeth touch at rest could also influence bone resorption and formation to make a different skull shape so maybe change your palate = change your skull?