Is meritocracy cope?

infini

infini

Time is not on my side.
When it comes to building careers and outcomes. Or leaving it to chance in general.

Isn't it just too competitive for meritocracy as filtering out applicants happens but then suddenly irrelevant factors that we all know of here get included and defeat its entire purpose?

Isn't it all about being opportunistic with what you want in life and what your factors are?

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28731
If by meritocracy you mean aggregate merit of a person then its cope, if you mean within a small subset of interest then that is competence and its not cope. Merit is just aggregate competence, its impossibile to evaluate outside a particular subset of interest(think of it as weighted sum of competence, the weights outside a frame of reference are impossibile to give relatively to each other)

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
Reactions: infini
If by meritocracy you mean aggregate merit of a person then its cope, if you mean within a small subset of interest then that is competence and its not cope. Merit is just aggregate competence, its impossibile to evaluate outside a particular subset of interest(think of it as weighted sum of competence, the weights outside a frame of reference are impossibile to give relatively to each other)
Okay. This took me a while to get my head around. Most of my basis was on my boomer father, my mother who insists on following her footsteps despite working the same shit job for 20 years that she copes and still is a slave to my father, class and job. The slavery careermaxxing hell in Britain (or anywhere 1st world and preparing for it) and the 1000 weeks 1 Meeks idea (brutal).

My idea was about how this applies to my reality. Alongside everything there is in the world and here to know.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS
Alright @ExtendedPerception, would an example of the aggregate merit of a person is like a CV that is listing every single expertise? But a competent use would be in elaborating certain topics specific.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 28731
yes it is

• Woah
@infini alright, i responded to the general concept of merit, first question
Isn't it just too competitive for meritocracy as filtering out applicants happens but then suddenly irrelevant factors that we all know of here get included and defeat its entire purpose?
Yes, you were right in your intuition, the competition volume is so high that it becomes standardized and leave space only to marginal differences, those differences outweigh whatever merit you have outside the interest area in the judgment of employees. Furthermore you have to specify the career, a career will be more 'meritocratic' the more complex and cross tasks you have as the interest area expands judgment becomes more precise.
Isn't it all about being opportunistic with what you want in life and what your factors are?
This question i can't answer, it depends on you. Rationally yes, you want to leverage your 'factors' as much as possible, even warp the perception of your competence(lie). All i can say that the job market is ruthless, you're just a pawn(more incentive to think rationally), if you want to carreer max outside of the complex, cross task ones then surely you'll have to suck some dick at some point. See how much you value dignity and ethics

would an example of the aggregate merit of a person is like a CV that is listing every single expertise? But a competent use would be in elaborating certain topics specific.
In a job context yes, if an employer selects for elaborating a topic. Not only, another factor of merit for ex. would be the difficulty you encountered reaching that competence of elaboration, that crosses with another area which is resilience(at parity of skill the more difficulty the more resilience you developed). I think you start to understand now how merit is so variable that it doesn't matter(again,uncertain weighted sum), only competence

@infini alright, i responded to the general concept of merit, first question

Yes, you were right in your intuition, the competition volume is so high that it becomes standardized and leave space only to marginal differences, those differences outweigh whatever merit you have outside the interest area in the judgment of employees. Furthermore you have to specify the career, a career will be more 'meritocratic' the more complex and cross tasks you have as the interest area expands judgment becomes more precise.
Not entirely sure how to specify because it could be the same across the board. It's seeing how much outside influence irl can outweigh the application of a form.
This question i can't answer, it depends on you. Rationally yes, you want to leverage your 'factors' as much as possible, even warp the perception of your competence(lie). All i can say that the job market is ruthless, you're just a pawn(more incentive to think rationally), if you want to carreer max outside of the complex, cross task ones then surely you'll have to suck some dick at some point. See how much you value dignity and ethics
What can be done about that really, isn't that how they get you?
In a job context yes, if an employer selects for elaborating a topic. Not only, another factor of merit for ex. would be the difficulty you encountered reaching that competence of elaboration, that crosses with another area which is resilience(at parity of skill the more difficulty the more resilience you developed). I think you start to understand now how merit is so variable that it doesn't matter(again,uncertain weighted sum), only competence
I find this comes up more in opening statements or experience descriptions. It's me wondering how much of it matters.

Some things you cant become just by luck, for example a surgeon etc

Some things you cant become just by luck, for example a surgeon etc
The context for someone to become a surgeon its usually pretty favorable for that outcome, a boy in the hood has 0 chance of becoming one while someone from an upper class family develops in a space where becoming one its possible. Then we have to take into account the merit of actualy doing it (as it is also hard) but basically he had the possibility in the first place, and excluding just the possibility, a surgeon was also born with a brain capable of becoming one, that it is also staistically rare. So basically you can continue doing this shit and find out that our outcomes have an insane relationship with factors we dont control and dont even know.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Struggler03 and infini
The context for someone to become a surgeon its usually pretty favorable for that outcome, a boy in the hood has 0 chance of becoming one while someone from an upper class family develops in a space where becoming one its possible. Then we have to take into account the merit of actualy doing it (as it is also hard) but basically he had the possibility in the first place, and excluding just the possibility, a surgeon was also born with a brain capable of becoming one, that it is also staistically rare. So basically you can continue doing this shit and find out that our outcomes have an insane relationship with factors we dont control and dont even know.
A man can only try, pain of trying is better than pain of regret

• So Sad