Japanese 日本語 Learning Thread

Chintuck22

Chintuck22

Monster
This thread is dedicated to learning Japanese language, in regards to JBW maxing and career maxing

• +1
Reactions: Niklaus Mikaelson, Deleted member 5815, PointOfNoReturn and 2 others
@Yatagarasu is probably most fluent in the language of anime

oc d GIF

Omae wa mou shinderu

• +1
Reactions: Yatagarasu and Niklaus Mikaelson
Japanese only serves to watch anime without subtitles, I'm sorry

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Bakin donuts 🍩, Finalcut123, Danish_Retard and 3 others
if you're just starting start with this playlist he is entertaining as hell you will get the basics + the motivation you need

• +1
Reactions: Niklaus Mikaelson
This nigga actually thinks he can learn Japanese proficient enough to career max with it

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN
you can get a IT or a recruitment consultant job with a jlpt n3 level if you have a degree, with n1 level you can work for international companies

• +1
Reactions: Niklaus Mikaelson and CursedOne
Is it even possible to careermaxx in Japan? All o hear is they have terrible work ethics and discriminate against foreigners

• +1
Reactions: fauxfox, Mr.Proper, gnostic and 1 other person
wanikani - 2000 kanji( onyomii) + 6000 vocab words(kunyomi readings)
torii.srs - supplemented wanikani vocab app ( exlude wanikani vocab) - + 5500 words

grammar- tae kims guide. (jlpt5-4 is more than nuff, rest can be learned through immersion) or watch "cury dolly" chanel on youtube- fundamentals series.

after learning 500-1000 kanji and around 4000 vocab words + covering grammar you can start immersion
anki+yomichan extension - you watch anime or read something in japanese or its subtitles - one mouse click and this word immediately goes to anki deck with context sentence and direct translation.

do this 2-3 hours a day - guaranteed jlpt 1 in 1.5-2 years

btw japanese doesnt really hold much value outside of japan. Chinese in that sense is more prestigious. Im learning both of them though.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard, Bakin donuts 🍩, Psychophilly and 4 others
you can get a IT or a recruitment consultant job with a jlpt n3 level if you have a degree, with n1 level you can work for international companies
Takes 2-3 hours a day for 2 years.

Obviously its possible but I was saying that 1% will actually do it and most stop midway through (esp anime fans)

• +1
Reactions: Niklaus Mikaelson and Deleted member 5815
im gonna learn mandarin and cantonese tbh

• +1
I've been wanting to learn Japanese too but I couldn't even pass my Italian class and that was when I had more free time available

• +1
Reactions: Niklaus Mikaelson and Chintuck22
こにちいわ

• Woah
Whitu cocku onry

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: gnostic, PubertyMaxxer, Deleted member 23848 and 1 other person
  • +1
This nigga actually thinks he can learn Japanese proficient enough to career max with it

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU
Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN
I've already been to Japan and worked in Japanese company with all the Japanese people

• +1
There's too many weebs and an overall interest in Japan for the market to be semi-flooded. I hear learning Arabic is where the big bucks are at :hnghn:

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: STEVE GAMING and Niklaus Mikaelson
Omfg I know a lot about language learning and don't listen to that gaytard Nathaniel Drew his videos are ERfuel for me because of how cringe and misleading they are.

• Woah
@Niko Yes I can read a bit of Japanese, learned it by listening to j-pop. Mogging wrote "konichiwa" which means "hello". I wrote in response, albeit in Latin alphabet, "hello, mogging! how are you?" but its literal meaning of "how are you" is actually "Are you in high spirits?"

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: Berbercel and Niklaus Mikaelson
@Niko Yes I can read a bit of Japanese, learned it by listening to j-pop. Mogging wrote "konichiwa" which means "hello". I wrote in response, albeit in Latin alphabet, "hello, mogging! how are you?" but its literal meaning of "how are you" is actually "Are you in high spirits?"
Damn mirin, didn't know that

• +1
Reactions: Michael Myers
One of the many criteria’s to be an Authentic Incel is: learn Japanese, have a Samurai sword at home and eating low quality yumyum Ramen

• JFL
Damn mirin, didn't know that
Thanks bhai, I haven't put an actual effort into learning the language however I do would like to know more about the language. I can already read the hiragana alphabet, a bit of the katakana alphabet and the most difficult of all are the kanji of which I have only 30 memorized. I could memorize more but I am not learning the language, just spontaneously pick it up. Would like to learn the language but I know I'd fall inside a rabbithole if I did haha.

• Woah
Nathaniel Drew is not really a channel to watch if you're serious about learning languages. All of these polyglots aren't fluent in the languages they claim to know.
Instead, watch some videos of Matt and Japan and his "immersion" approach to learning a language until a native level.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: WanderingBurro and Niklaus Mikaelson
torii.srs - supplemented wanikani vocab app ( exlude wanikani vocab) - + 5500 words

grammar- tae kims guide. (jlpt5-4 is more than nuff, rest can be learned through immersion) or watch "cury dolly" chanel on youtube- fundamentals series.

after learning 500-1000 kanji and around 4000 vocab words + covering grammar you can start immersion
anki+yomichan extension - you watch anime or read something in japanese or its subtitles - one mouse click and this word immediately goes to anki deck with context sentence and direct translation.

btw japanese doesnt really hold much value outside of japan. Chinese in that sense is more prestigious. Im learning both of them though.
Simultaneously? Seems like a very, very hard task. Especially since both languages on their own are very different from English and hence very demanding for English natives.

• +1
i tried to learn once, learned some words and how introduce myself etc. watashiwa psychoman des lol
but depression never let me finish anything.
i remmeber i used lingo mingo or sth like that, it was good.

Chinese in that sense is more prestigious. Im learning both of them though.
I wish to learn Chinese for business interests but also partially for personal interests. It'll come further down the road though, will first have to master Norwegian and then learn French.

If you've ever learned a foreign language you realize it's like opening a door to another world. This forum for example would've been useless had you never known English.

Learning Chinese will suddenly make you capable of communicating with a substantial amount of the world population, with all the good and bad that comes with it.

• +1
Reactions: AlexBrown84 and Bakin donuts 🍩
@Yatagarasu is probably most fluent in the language of anime

oc d GIF

Omae wa mou shinderu
違う、僕なまだまだペラペラじゃない

• Love it
Reactions: PointOfNoReturn
i tried to learn once, learned some words and how introduce myself etc. watashiwa psychoman des lol
but depression never let me finish anything.
i remmeber i used lingo mingo or sth like that, it was good.
Same

I gave up, I was supposed to take the N5 test then i started to rotting :feelscry:
I can still read hiragana and katakana but every kanji is game over

• Woah
Reactions: Psychophilly
Simultaneously? Seems like a very, very hard task. Especially since both languages on their own are very different from English and hence very demanding for English natives.
japanese and chinese overlap slightly. all japanese kanji are actually chinese characters and in 90% cases they share the same meaning.
in japanese you just need to know around 2000 kanji to be called proficient/advanced while in chinese you need to know around 3000 hanzi.

well i have free time for it so why not. Besides i always had a dream to work in UN or in Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Knowledge of russian(native) english/french and japanese/chinese can give me a good advantage.
Honestly the hardest thing in learning a language is finding a blueprint or source that gradually push you over your baseline. If you find a good app its jsut a matter of habit. For me its quite easy - 90% of all your efforts in language learning is just acquiring a vocabulary. 1000 words are nuff to cover 80% of text. ultimate goal 10 000- to cover 98%. So you need a good vocab app that also provides context sentences. you also need to know basics of grammar- usually you can cover it in 1-2 weeks.

if its a european language- its quite easy- you can cover 1000 words through anki or a similar app and beginner grammar in 2-3 months. immediately after you can get rid of all study books and just start immersion- like watching movies/tv series in your target language+ subtitles and just consistently build vocabular from now on. Sadly in japanese/chinese you kinda need to drill kanji/hanzi and personally for me i remember them best when i study them separately.

2 hours a day i ussualy devote to wanikani and torii.srs - while doing 400-500 reviews i have a youtube video or tv/anime in the background.
3-4 for chinese.

For chinese i just reccomend a single programme - mandarin blueprint. the Intermediate course costs around 300 y.e but those guys are very good. They managed to build their course from 0 up to advanced including 12k vocabular words+ 3000 hanzi. After you learn your first 100 hanzi they also gonna start to drill you constantly with context sentences where you know all the vocabulary while simultaneously teaching you the grammar. they teach you grammar based on comprehensible immersion, so that you can get the natural feel of grammar instead of just mindlessly drilling it.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Mr.Proper, Bakin donuts 🍩 and Alexanderr
japanese and chinese overlap slightly. all japanese kanji are actually chinese characters and in 90% cases they share the same meaning.
in japanese you just need to know around 2000 kanji to be called proficient/advanced while in chinese you need to know around 3000 hanzi.

well i have free time for it so why not. Besides i always had a dream to work in UN or in Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Knowledge of russian(native) english/french and japanese/chinese can give me a good advantage.
Honestly the hardest thing in learning a language is finding a blueprint or source that gradually push you over your baseline. If you find a good app its jsut a matter of habit. For me its quite easy - 90% of all your efforts in language learning is just acquiring a vocabulary. 1000 words are nuff to cover 80% of text. ultimate goal 10 000- to cover 98%. So you need a good vocab app that also provides context sentences. you also need to know basics of grammar- usually you can cover it in 1-2 weeks.

if its a european language- its quite easy- you can cover 1000 words through anki or a similar app and beginner grammar in 2-3 months. immediately after you can get rid of all study books and just start immersion- like watching movies/tv series in your target language+ subtitles and just consistently build vocabular from now on. Sadly in japanese/chinese you kinda need to drill kanji/hanzi and personally for me i remember them best when i study them separately.

2 hours a day i ussualy devote to wanikani and torii.srs - while doing 400-500 reviews i have a youtube video or tv/anime in the background.
3-4 for chinese.

For chinese i just reccomend a single programme - mandarin blueprint. the Intermediate course costs around 300 y.e but those guys are very good. They managed to build their course from 0 up to advanced including 12k vocabular words+ 3000 hanzi. After you learn your first 100 hanzi they also gonna start to drill you constantly with context sentences where you know all the vocabulary while simultaneously teaching you the grammar. they teach you grammar based on comprehensible immersion, so that you can get the natural feel of grammar instead of just mindlessly drilling it.
How is your listening ability? Could you follow along to two native Japanese speakers having a normal conversation?

How is your listening ability? Could you follow along to two native Japanese speakers having a normal conversation?
honestly i dunno because im not even practicing it for now. i believe in steven Krashen theory of language acquistion ( mostly because it personally worked for me)
which is that comprehensible reading should be first priority and output/hearing skills comes next. input>>>>>>>>output. By getting tons of input you unconsciously with time acquire that language where you no longer need to "practice speaking or your listening comrehension". Even when you practice speaking overhwelming bulk of your progress actually comes from getting input by opposite speaker.

Like my experience with french and english. As soon as acquired 1000 words and went through beginner grammar i immediately started playing games and watching movies in english/fr with en/fr subtitles with dictionary liying around at hand. I was consuming content that i actually enjoy while learning new words in context. 2 years later in university i could freely express myself in any topic without actually ever practicing speaking before.

the thing is - to express yourself freely you need vocabulary. Its very hard to fail in outputting if you have good vocabulary. To have good hearing comrehension you again need to know tons of vocabulary. Just watching movies in target language without subtitles is not very efficient because most of the time you wont be able to hear new words.

with jap/chin il go the same road- acquire good reading comrehension first- learn most common hanzi/kanj+ vocabulary. Then im going to start slowly maintaining these languages by watching original tv shows with subtitles. With time by watching them il unconsciously acquire output skill and hearing comprehension by getting tons of voiced and written input.

afaik steven krashen method doesnt work for everyone. There is a minority of people who have a good written comprehension/ maybe even lived abroad/ can easily understand spoken language but they fail hardly in expressing themselves. These type of people probably need to specifically focus on practicing outputing. Honestly you can easily practice outputing skills by trying to think in foreign language.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Alexanderr
Jebeš to

• +1
Reactions: Chintuck22

Chinese is way more mainstream... Japanese has less competitors.

• +1
Language learning is useless

Go into STEM ( the language of science, tech, business is English anyway) and ditch any language, culture, social studies

• +1
im gonna learn mandarin and cantonese tbh
Canto's useless unless you're obsessed with Chinese people. Everybody who speaks Cantonese can speak Mandarin as well.

• +1
Reactions: AlexBrown84, gribsufer1 and Chintuck22
honestly i dunno because im not even practicing it for now. i believe in steven Krashen theory of language acquistion ( mostly because it personally worked for me)
which is that comprehensible reading should be first priority and output/hearing skills comes next. input>>>>>>>>output. By getting tons of input you unconsciously with time acquire that language where you no longer need to "practice speaking or your listening comrehension". Even when you practice speaking overhwelming bulk of your progress actually comes from getting input by opposite speaker.

Like my experience with french and english. As soon as acquired 1000 words and went through beginner grammar i immediately started playing games and watching movies in english/fr with en/fr subtitles with dictionary liying around at hand. I was consuming content that i actually enjoy while learning new words in context. 2 years later in university i could freely express myself in any topic without actually ever practicing speaking before.

the thing is - to express yourself freely you need vocabulary. Its very hard to fail in outputting if you have good vocabulary. To have good hearing comrehension you again need to know tons of vocabulary. Just watching movies in target language without subtitles is not very efficient because most of the time you wont be able to hear new words.

with jap/chin il go the same road- acquire good reading comrehension first- learn most common hanzi/kanj+ vocabulary. Then im going to start slowly maintaining these languages by watching original tv shows with subtitles. With time by watching them il unconsciously acquire output skill and hearing comprehension by getting tons of voiced and written input.

afaik steven krashen method doesnt work for everyone. There is a minority of people who have a good written comprehension/ maybe even lived abroad/ can easily understand spoken language but they fail hardly in expressing themselves. These type of people probably need to specifically focus on practicing outputing. Honestly you can easily practice outputing skills by trying to think in foreign language.
You need to have a basic understanding of the spoken language before you begin reading. This is even true for written languages that are phonetic.

Canto's useless unless you're obsessed with Chinese people. Everybody who speaks Cantonese can speak Mandarin as well.
i really want to live in the south tho

i really want to live in the south tho
Mandarin will serve you better. Everybody in the south can speak it. However you'll still find plenty of folks in the south, from the North, who can only speak Mandarin. A lot of migrants from the North in Shenzhen and Guangzhou. And all the Chinese diaspora around the world will be able to speak Mandarin while only some of them will be able to speak Canto.

• +1
Reactions: gribsufer1 and Chintuck22
I just want to smell Japanese pussy, I'm learning Mandarin tho.

• JFL
you will never be japanese

• Hmm...