Retinol Vs Tretinoin | Full Guide & Comparison

T

TRNSTA

Iron
Retinol Vs Tretinoin
Table of Contents
What is Retinol and Tretinoin?

Retinol and tretinoin are both retinoids, compounds derived from Vitamin A. Retinol can come in a cream or serum form by itself, but is also commonly seen incorporated in a moisturiser. Whilst on the other hand, Tretinoin is rarely seen in other forms than a cream. They work by increasing the rate of cell turnover, which can help to improve the appearance of your skin.

They are used for:

Acne: Retinoids can help to reduce the production of sebum, which is the oily substance that can clog pores and lead to acne. They can also help to exfoliate the skin, which can help to remove dead skin cells and clear up acne breakouts.

Wrinkles: Retinoids can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles by stimulating the production of collagen and elastin, which are two proteins that give skin its structure and elasticity. They can also help to improve the overall appearance of the skin by evening out skin tone and reducing the appearance of age spots.

Sun damage: Retinoids can help to repair sun-damaged skin by stimulating the production of new skin cells. They can also help to reduce the appearance of age spots and other signs of sun damage.

Melasma: Melasma is a type of skin condition that causes brown or grayish patches to appear on the skin. Retinoids can help to reduce the appearance of melasma by lightening the skin.

Other skin conditions: Retinoids may also be used to treat other skin conditions, such as psoriasis, rosacea, and actinic keratosis.
The differences between Retinol and Tretinoin.
RetinolTretinoin
Form of Vitamin ANaturalSynthetic
Price (Varies)$10-50 USD$20-50 USD
StrengthWeakerStronger
AvailabilityOTC, Over the counterPrescription only
Side AffectsDryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts
Dryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts

(MORE SEVERE FOR TRETINOIN)
ResultsLower and slower resultsHigher and faster results

How to apply Retinol and Tretinoin.

*Only apply at PM.*

*Incorporate slowly, start with once per week and then add another day when you skin can tolerate it.*

Firstly, cleanse with a gentle cleanser (e.g. CeraVe hydrating cleanser). Secondly, apply a thin film of Retinol to cover face and upper neck OR get a pea sized amount of Tretinoin and spread it across the face and upper neck. Lastly, apply a moisturiser if you want to avoid dryness/irritation.

*You can combine Retinol and Tretinoin with SOME other skincare ingredients, search up whether they are safe with Retinol/Tretinoin and which order to layer them.*

*ALWAYS use sun protection in the morning.*

Retinol comes in multiple concentrations, start at 2.5% and later move up to 5% if you wish.

Tretinoin comes in multiple conectrations, start at 0.025% and later move up to 0.05% if you wish.

When you would use Retinol or Tretinoin
Retinol: If you are new to retinoids or have sensitive skin, start with retinol. You can gradually increase the concentration of retinol over time as your skin adjusts.

Tretinoin:
If you are looking for faster results or have severe skin conditions, talk to your doctor about tretinoin. Tretinoin is more likely to cause side effects, so it is important to start with a low concentration and gradually increase it over time.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Mog3D, blatonslatt, horsefacin and 13 others
Strong first post.

• +1
Reactions: miles tioki
Retinol Vs Tretinoin
Table of Contents

Retinol and tretinoin are both retinoids, compounds derived from Vitamin A. Retinol can come in a cream or serum form by itself, but is also commonly seen incorporated in a moisturiser. Whilst on the other hand, Tretinoin is rarely seen in other forms than a cream. They work by increasing the rate of cell turnover, which can help to improve the appearance of your skin.

They are used for:

Acne: Retinoids can help to reduce the production of sebum, which is the oily substance that can clog pores and lead to acne. They can also help to exfoliate the skin, which can help to remove dead skin cells and clear up acne breakouts.

Wrinkles: Retinoids can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles by stimulating the production of collagen and elastin, which are two proteins that give skin its structure and elasticity. They can also help to improve the overall appearance of the skin by evening out skin tone and reducing the appearance of age spots.

Sun damage: Retinoids can help to repair sun-damaged skin by stimulating the production of new skin cells. They can also help to reduce the appearance of age spots and other signs of sun damage.

Melasma: Melasma is a type of skin condition that causes brown or grayish patches to appear on the skin. Retinoids can help to reduce the appearance of melasma by lightening the skin.

Other skin conditions: Retinoids may also be used to treat other skin conditions, such as psoriasis, rosacea, and actinic keratosis.
RetinolTretinoin
StrengthWeakerStronger
Side AffectsDryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts
Dryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts

*Only apply at PM.*

*Incorporate slowly, start with once per week and then add another day when you skin can tolerate it.*

Firstly, cleanse with a gentle cleanser (e.g. CeraVe hydrating cleanser). Secondly, apply a thin film of Retinol to cover face and upper neck OR get a pea sized amount of Tretinoin and spread it across the face and upper neck. Lastly, apply a moisturiser if you want to avoid dryness/irritation.

*You can combine Retinol and Tretinoin with SOME other skincare ingredients, search up whether they are safe with Retinol/Tretinoin and which order to layer them.*

Retinol comes in multiple concentrations, start at 2.5% and later move up to 5% if you wish.

Tretinoin comes in multiple conectrations, start at 0.025% and later move up to 0.05% if you wish.

Retinol: If you are new to retinoids or have sensitive skin, start with retinol. You can gradually increase the concentration of retinol over time as your skin adjusts.

Tretinoin: If you are looking for faster results or have severe skin conditions, talk to your doctor about tretinoin. Tretinoin is more likely to cause side effects, so it is important to start with a low concentration and gradually increase it over time.
Perfect timing, I ordered yesterday, a cleanser,vitamin c serum, peptide serum, retinol and a moisturiser.

Retinol Vs Tretinoin
Table of Contents

They are used for:

RetinolTretinoin
StrengthWeakerStronger
Side AffectsDryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts
Dryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts

*Only apply at PM.*

Tretinoin: If you are looking for faster results or have severe skin conditions, talk to your doctor about tretinoin. Tretinoin is more likely to cause side effects, so it is important to start with a low concentration and gradually increase it over time.
Why should we use it only in the mornings though ? NVM my fault pm is night

UV deactivates retinol/tretinoin.
Interesting, thanks for the input. how important do you think a sunscreen is because I ordered all of those and I will be getting sunscreen asap but I want feedback on maybe which brands to go for and which one.

Interesting, thanks for the input. how important do you think a sunscreen is because I ordered all of those and I will be getting sunscreen asap but I want feedback on maybe which brands to go for and which one.
Sunscreen is important as it slows down sun-aging and collagen loss, but don't get overly worried if you wont have it for a few weeks. Not an expert at sunscreens but i've heard "La Roche-Posay" has some good ones.

• +1
Reactions: RAMU KAKA and HereToGetBetter
Sunscreen is important as it slows down sun-aging and collagen loss, but don't get overly worried if you wont have it for a few weeks. Not an expert at sunscreens but i've heard "La Roche-Posay" has some good ones.
Thanks, I appreciate your feedback.

• +1
Reactions: TRNSTA
but i've heard "La Roche-Posay" has some good ones.
they have some minor issues with the kind of alcohol they use in their products to increase the absorption rate but they're overall pretty good and don't have any hormone disruptors so that means they're already better than most of the commercial sunscreens.

• +1
Reactions: blatonslatt and TRNSTA
Decent summary.

I’d like to know for how long skin remains increased in photo sensitivity after last tretinoin application.

Decent summary.

I’d like to know for how long skin remains increased in photo sensitivity after last tretinoin application.
its around 12 hours

Retinol Vs Tretinoin
Table of Contents

They are used for:

RetinolTretinoin
StrengthWeakerStronger
Side AffectsDryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts
Dryness
Redness
Itching
Sensitivity
Breakouts

*Only apply at PM.*

Do you recommend pure retinol serums or in a moisturizer form?

Do you recommend pure retinol serums or in a moisturizer form?
Both are fine, pure serums are typically cheaper. Both can be in a combined mixture (niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, etc). These are more expensive but can provide more results and work well with retinol.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: rose167 and desilva
Both are fine, pure serums are typically cheaper. Both can be in a combined mixture (niacinamide, hyaluronic acid, etc). These are more expensive but can provide more results and work well with retinol.
thank you mirin

• +1
Reactions: TRNSTA
Retinol comes in multiple concentrations, start at 2.5%
For beginners, most dermatologists recommend a retinol with a concentration of 0.25 percent to one percent to see results , using a concentration as high as 2.5% from the get go can cause serious side effects such as dryness , irritation and even the damage of collagen fibres .

Last edited:
Great thread dude, my doctor just prescribed me some tretinoin and its doing wonders. I just want to ask though, is it ok to use it indefinitely and would it be possible with the prescription to just keep asking her if I can get refills on it? Its my first prescription so idk how any of it works tbh

Does semen work? Ive been cumming on my face since 2014

Great thread dude, my doctor just prescribed me some tretinoin and its doing wonders. I just want to ask though, is it ok to use it indefinitely and would it be possible with the prescription to just keep asking her if I can get refills on it? Its my first prescription so idk how any of it works tbh
nah u ain never gonna get that again