Taiping rebellion : The uprising was commanded by Hong Xiuquan, an ethnic Hakka (a Han subgroup) and the self-proclaimed brother of Jesus Christ

Deleted member 16384

Deleted member 16384

Sphinx
The uprising was commanded by Hong Xiuquan, an ethnic Hakka (a Han subgroup) and the self-proclaimed brother of Jesus Christ. Its goals were religious, nationalist, and political in nature; Hong sought the conversion of the Han people to the Taiping's syncretic version of Christianity, to overthrow the Manchu-led Qing Dynasty, and a state transformation.[6][7] Rather than supplanting the ruling class, the Taipings sought to upend the moral and social order of China.[8] The Taipings established the Heavenly Kingdom as an oppositional state based in Tianjing (now Nanjing) and gained control of a significant part of southern China, eventually expanding to command a population base of nearly 30 million people.

For more than a decade, Taiping armies occupied and fought across much of the mid and lower Yangtze valley, ultimately devolving into total civil war. It was the largest war in China since the Manchu conquest of China in 1644, involving every province of China proper except Gansu. It ranks as one of the bloodiest wars in human history, the bloodiest civil war, and the largest conflict of the 19th century. In terms of deaths, the civil war is comparable to World War I.[9][5] 30 million people fled the conquered regions to foreign settlements or other parts of China.[10] The war featured extreme brutality on both sides. Taiping soldiers carried out widespread massacres of Manchus, the ethnic minority of the ruling Imperial House of Aisin-Gioro, whom they believed to be demons. Meanwhile, the Qing government also engaged in massacres, most notably against the civilian population of the Taiping capital, Nanjing.

Weakened severely by an attempted coup (the Tianjing incident) and the failure of the siege of Beijing, the Taipings were defeated by decentralized, irregular armies such as the Xiang Army commanded by Zeng Guofan. Having already moved down the Yangtze River and recaptured the important city of Anqing, Zeng's Xiang Army besieged Nanjing during May, 1862. Two years later, on June 1, 1864, Hong Xiuquan died and Nanjing fell during the Third Battle of Nanjing, barely a month later. The 14 year civil war greatly weakened the Qing dynasty, which would collapse less than 50 years afterwards. It exacerbated sectarian tension and accelerated the rise of regionalism, foreshadowing the Warlord Era that would come after another Hakka, Sun Yat-Sen, overthrew the Qing in the 1911 Xinhai Revolution.

The uprising was commanded by Hong Xiuquan, an ethnic Hakka (a Han subgroup) and the self-proclaimed brother of Jesus Christ. Its goals were religious, nationalist, and political in nature; Hong sought the conversion of the Han people to the Taiping's syncretic version of Christianity, to overthrow the Manchu-led Qing Dynasty, and a state transformation.[6][7] Rather than supplanting the ruling class, the Taipings sought to upend the moral and social order of China.[8] The Taipings established the Heavenly Kingdom as an oppositional state based in Tianjing (now Nanjing) and gained control of a significant part of southern China, eventually expanding to command a population base of nearly 30 million people.

For more than a decade, Taiping armies occupied and fought across much of the mid and lower Yangtze valley, ultimately devolving into total civil war. It was the largest war in China since the Manchu conquest of China in 1644, involving every province of China proper except Gansu. It ranks as one of the bloodiest wars in human history, the bloodiest civil war, and the largest conflict of the 19th century. In terms of deaths, the civil war is comparable to World War I.[9][5] 30 million people fled the conquered regions to foreign settlements or other parts of China.[10] The war featured extreme brutality on both sides. Taiping soldiers carried out widespread massacres of Manchus, the ethnic minority of the ruling Imperial House of Aisin-Gioro, whom they believed to be demons. Meanwhile, the Qing government also engaged in massacres, most notably against the civilian population of the Taiping capital, Nanjing.

Weakened severely by an attempted coup (the Tianjing incident) and the failure of the siege of Beijing, the Taipings were defeated by decentralized, irregular armies such as the Xiang Army commanded by Zeng Guofan. Having already moved down the Yangtze River and recaptured the important city of Anqing, Zeng's Xiang Army besieged Nanjing during May, 1862. Two years later, on June 1, 1864, Hong Xiuquan died and Nanjing fell during the Third Battle of Nanjing, barely a month later. The 14 year civil war greatly weakened the Qing dynasty, which would collapse less than 50 years afterwards. It exacerbated sectarian tension and accelerated the rise of regionalism, foreshadowing the Warlord Era that would come after another Hakka, Sun Yat-Sen, overthrew the Qing in the 1911 Xinhai Revolution.

This is a really interesting historical event. The leader hong xiquan supposedly failed a civil service exam and then had a prophetic dream and gained the charisma and power to lead a massive rebellion.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16384
This is a really interesting historical event. The leader hong xiquan supposedly failed a civil service exam and then had a prophetic dream and gained the charisma and power to lead a massive rebellion.
Plus 30 million deaths

• +1
Reactions: Magical Apple
hakkas have been known to cause trouble it seems

hakkas have been known to cause trouble it seems
most powerful people behind jews
they collaborate with globalist deep state
own everything in China

• +1
Reactions: AlexBrown84
most powerful people behind jews
they collaborate with globalist deep state
own everything in China
should I move to some south chinese province? I want to mog the locals and can’t do that as much in beijing and shanghai where all the money goes.

which cities you recommend? want to improve my mandarin and get a chinese gf while there

fuarkkkk chinese history mogs

reading this old ass book about the history of sino russian trade

Mogs the communist and nationalist civil war

should I move to some south chinese province? I want to mog the locals and can’t do that as much in beijing and shanghai where all the money goes.

which cities you recommend? want to improve my mandarin and get a chinese gf while there
any t1 city tbh

any t1 city tbh
i literally said i don’t want to cuz more moggers are there and won’t get to use my mandarin as often

are you even chinese?

• JFL
Reactions: shabby890
Two lessons history must remember

1. Don't let a Chinese guy fail an exam 3 times

2. Don't reject an Austrian from art school twice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back