Why is msdo so uncommon? Need advice on my situation

Deusmaximus

Deusmaximus

Kraken
I wrote emails to many jaw surgeons in my country, and it seems like nobody know how to solve the problem of a very narrow mandibular situation. My tongue has almost no space to lay down correctly.
None of all the surgeons knew about msdo, and could offer me a solution to my problem.
So it seems like msdo is not very common and orthos/surgeons never really treat narrow mandibles.
Should i just leave the narrowness and get veneers installed, to at least fix my crooked teeths?
Anyone has advice?

Last edited:
dr andre peforms MSDO, costs 5k euros i think

dr andre peforms MSDO, costs 5k euros i think
Im scared to fly to a unknown country and get a surgery performed that nobody in my country offers. Maybe there is a reason for that...

Then i also dont know how my lower jaw would match with my upper. I think i would need sarpe/marpe at the same time.

From @RealSurgerymax ;s post on lookism

(1) Dear Surgerymax : Thoughts on MSE, MSDO, IMDO? | Lookism Forums - Aesthetics, Self-Improvement and Dating

MSE is a good procedure if you truly need it. It will give very little noticeable difference facially but still a subtle (almost subliminal) improvement in most people, but the biggest reason to have MSE is for a nice wide smile without dark corners.

MSDO is the least aesthetically pleasing of the 3 and IMDO is the most.

An Aesthetic male mandible Is Substantially wider posteriorly than anteriorly (even though a wide chin is masculine the mandibular body should taper inward from the gonial angle connecting to the chin) and MSDO creates the opposite effect in large expansions. That said a small MSDO will not hurt you especially if you truly need to expand the lower arch

IMDO, as I said earlier is the most aesthetic and biggest change. In certain cases it might be superior to BSSO but the final results are very comparable. The beauty of IMDO is the recovery is much more pleasant for most people. An isolated IMDO procedure would still require a plated LeFort I. Bimaxillary Distraction Osteogensis - distracting both jaws at the same time is unlikely to end in perfect occlusion and be have no complications. (Although Distraction LeFort I’d are possible and done, in fact the downfracture does not even need to be 100% complete).

if you have plans to go ahead with traditional aesthetic bimax I think you should continue your plans and know you did not leave anything on the table without second guessing.

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Need2Ascend and tyronelite

(1) Dear Surgerymax : Thoughts on MSE, MSDO, IMDO? | Lookism Forums - Aesthetics, Self-Improvement and Dating

MSE is a good procedure if you truly need it. It will give very little noticeable difference facially but still a subtle (almost subliminal) improvement in most people, but the biggest reason to have MSE is for a nice wide smile without dark corners.

MSDO is the least aesthetically pleasing of the 3 and IMDO is the most.

An Aesthetic male mandible Is Substantially wider posteriorly than anteriorly (even though a wide chin is masculine the mandibular body should taper inward from the gonial angle connecting to the chin) and MSDO creates the opposite effect in large expansions. That said a small MSDO will not hurt you especially if you truly need to expand the lower arch

IMDO, as I said earlier is the most aesthetic and biggest change. In certain cases it might be superior to BSSO but the final results are very comparable. The beauty of IMDO is the recovery is much more pleasant for most people. An isolated IMDO procedure would still require a plated LeFort I. Bimaxillary Distraction Osteogensis - distracting both jaws at the same time is unlikely to end in perfect occlusion and be have no complications. (Although Distraction LeFort I’d are possible and done, in fact the downfracture does not even need to be 100% complete).

if you have plans to go ahead with traditional aesthetic bimax I think you should continue your plans and know you did not leave anything on the table without second guessing.
But whats the reason no surgeon/ortho in my whole country offers msdo/mse?
I asked one, and he told me these procedures are way to risky and invasive if someones bite is not seriously fucked.
He would never perform a surgery/distraction on a normally functioning bite.

But whats the reason no surgeon/ortho in my whole country offers msdo/mse?
I asked one, and he told me these procedures are way to risky and invasive if someones bite is not seriously fucked.
He would never perform a surgery/distraction on a normally functioning bite.
Tbh now that I have seen the photo maybe MSDO could be a good choice for you. If you don't have an overjet (and aren't recessed enough to create one via le fort) IMDO goes out the window. MSE isn't invasive or risky but that won't change your mandible. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

better not to do distraction to advance the upper .

Tbh now that I have seen the photo maybe MSDO could be a good choice for you. If you don't have an overjet (and aren't recessed enough to create one via le fort) IMDO goes out the window. MSE isn't invasive or risky but that won't change your mandible. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
better not to do distraction to advance the upper .
My upper jaw is wider than my lower jaw & I have rounded gonials & small chin. Is MSDO or chin wing a better option?

My lower teeth look exactly like yours, all three surgeons i've consulted told me the same thing, including sergio which im going to visit soon since he's in my country, currently traveling so havent been able to go yet. MSDO to expand lower arch allowing teeth to allign properly and improving breathing and posture, and mse for the upper jaw to follow the lower expansion. Its not really invasive and its not risky at all, I dont know where you live but ortognatica roma in italy performs msdo for 6.5k and sergio does it too. You should consult them about your case and see what they say.
Surgeons you visited are probably not familiar with these procedures or just lazy so they try to make you think its risky so you go their way.

My lower teeth look exactly like yours, all three surgeons i've consulted told me the same thing, including sergio which im going to visit soon since he's in my country, currently traveling so havent been able to go yet. MSDO to expand lower arch allowing teeth to allign properly and improving breathing and posture, and mse for the upper jaw to follow the lower expansion. Its not really invasive and its not risky at all, I dont know where you live but ortognatica roma in italy performs msdo for 6.5k and sergio does it too. You should consult them about your case and see what they say.
Surgeons you visited are probably not familiar with these procedures or just lazy so they try to make you think its risky so you go their way.
Msdo seems very invasive, and has a big risk of infection. I can imagine going going through a hell of pain with this distraction.
Dont know if mse is a good idea, since i am already 27. Maybe i am already to old, for such big treatments. Everything would take me 1.5 years to have good teeth/smile/bite.

1 s20 S0901502706004930 gr4

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Sergio-OMS
If you show the nose being cut open during a rhino its gonna look super painful, however its not. Same with msdo. If you wanna fix your issue but arent willing to go through any invasive surgery or any pain/discomfort then just go for extractions, minimal pain and minimal results

• +1
Reactions: Sergio-OMS
What's the age cut off for such procedures as MSE, MSDO, & IMDO?

Narrow jaw = narrow upper palate.

Precisely
Hello, doc. Rate my mewing progress 19-21.

Before:

Before

After:

After

After2

Also why my ear rotated the wrong direction? Seems like mewing made the ear angle only worse. Legit looking like fucking elven ears or some shit.

Is this because I was recessed and then I pushed the point, which the lower ear is attached to, forward?

Even if I look downwards it's still rotated the wrong way, lmao:
After3

Image result for eaelven ears

Last edited: