Why Vitamin D and Magnesium are ESSENTIAL and you have been USING THEM WRONG

M

mensa

Iron
ONE IN FOUR people in the UNITED STATES have DEFICIENT LEVELS of Vitamin D

Vitamin D DEFICIENCY accounted for nearly 90% of COVID-19 hospitalizations which RESULTED IN DEATH

What is Vitamin D?

Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble secosteroids, with Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) being the most significant forms for humans. It's unique among vitamins, as it can be synthesized by the body when the skin is exposed to sunlight, specifically ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation. Vitamin D is crucial for maintaining many physiological functions, particularly in calcium and phosphate metabolism, vital for bone health.

What are the benefits of Vitamin D?

The primary benefit of Vitamin D is its role in promoting calcium absorption in the gut and maintaining adequate serum calcium and phosphate concentrations. This allows for normal mineralization of bone and prevents hypocalcemic tetany, a muscle condition caused by low calcium levels. It is also needed for bone growth and bone remodeling by osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Furthermore, Vitamin D has an influence on cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function, and reduction of inflammation.

What are the potential drawbacks of Vitamin D?

Vitamin D's drawbacks mainly arise from its deficiency or excessive intake. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to rickets in children—a condition marked by soft and weak bones, and osteomalacia or osteoporosis in adults, both conditions where the bones become weak and brittle. On the other hand, vitamin D toxicity, although rare, can cause nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss due to hypercalcemia (excess calcium in the blood). It can also lead to heart rhythm problems and kidney damage if not managed promptly.

How Does Vitamin D Work?

Vitamin D functions as a prohormone, which means it has little biological activity until it's converted into a more active form. After synthesis in the skin or absorption from food, it undergoes hydroxylation in the liver to form 25-hydroxyvitamin D, then another hydroxylation in the kidney to become its most active form, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D. This active form binds to the vitamin D receptor in various cells, influencing gene transcription and regulating calcium absorption, among other processes.

How Much Vitamin D Do You Need?

The recommended daily allowance for Vitamin D is currently set at 400–800 IU/day, but this may be too low for many adults. For moderate supplementation, a 1,000–2,000 IU dose of vitamin D3 is sufficient to meet the needs of most of the population. Higher daily doses are in the range of 20–80 IU per kilogram of body weight. The Upper Tolerable Intake Level in the United States and Canada is 4,000 IU per day (IU/day). It’s been suggested that the true Upper Tolerable Intake Level may actually be as high as 10,000 IU/day, but there is limited data on health outcomes using doses near this amount. Vitamin D3 supplementation (cholecalciferol) is recommended over D2 supplementation (ergocalciferol) because D3 tends to raise blood levels more effectively. Vitamin D should be taken daily, with meals or a source of fat. Remember, supplementation is not a substitute! Exposure to natural sunlight throughout the day is crucial.

Where can I get quality Vitamin D? By going outside (don’t forget to wear mineral sunscreen though)

Where can I get quality Vitamin D supplements? (remember supplementation is NOT a substitution)

Try to avoid buying those colorful bottles at the pharmacy or anything that claims to be an extremely high dose.

Pure Encapsulations is ALWAYS MY GO TO BRAND for supplements, especially when it comes to Vitamin D. It’s a tad more expensive than some other options, but the quality guarantee and brand reputation is worth it.

Pure Encapsulations Vitamin D

Other options to suit different budgets:

Nature Made Vitamin D

Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D - my second favorite brand

NOW Supplements Vitamin D

If you don’t care for ordering online then don’t worry most grocery stores and pharmacies have these in stock.

WHY YOU ARE USING VITAMIN D AND MAGNESIUM INCORRECTLY

This is where MAGNESIUM comes into play

If you are deficient in Vitamin D, then any Magnesium you take is practically REDUNDANT. If you are deficient in Magnesium then any Vitamin D you take is practically REDUNDANT. Vitamin D and Magnesium are only effective enough WHEN PAIRED TOGETHER.

What is Magnesium?

Magnesium is an essential dietary nutrient and is one of the most abundant minerals in the body. Magnesium acts as an electrolyte and is a cofactor for more than 300 enzymes. Magnesium is required for energy (ATP) production, glucose metabolism, DNA and protein synthesis, nerve conduction, bone health, and cardiovascular regulation, among other functions. It also plays a crucial role in the synthesis and activation of Vitamin D. Dietary sources of magnesium include dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, legumes, whole grains, and meat/fish such as salmon, chicken, and beef. Many foods such as breakfast cereals and bread are fortified with magnesium. It appears that approximately 20%–40% of the dietary magnesium that enters the body becomes bioavailable. More than half of adults may not meet the recommended daily intake of magnesium, likely because Western diets tend to be very low in magnesium-rich foods and high in processed foods and refined grains, which are magnesium-poor. As such, magnesium deficiency — which elevates the risk of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis — is a major public health concern, especially for older adults.

Why you probably have a Magnesium DEFICIENCY

You having a Magnesium deficiency begins with understanding the role of this essential mineral and the modern lifestyle factors that contribute to its depletion. Magnesium is a key player in over 300 enzymatic reactions within the body, contributing to bone health, heart health, and the proper functioning of nerves and muscles. However, due to factors like poor diet, stress, and certain health conditions, a substantial number of people are falling short of their daily magnesium needs. The highly processed nature of the standard Western diet often lacks magnesium-rich foods like whole grains, leafy greens, and legumes. Moreover, stress can lead to increased excretion of magnesium through urine, further depleting the body's stores. Finally, conditions such as gastrointestinal disorders can interfere with the body's ability to absorb magnesium. Hence, despite its importance, magnesium deficiency is a common but frequently overlooked health issue.

• Magnesium deficiency is strongly correlated with anxiety.

• Other possible symptoms are heart palpitations, leg cramps, vertigo, panic attacks, hypertension, IBS, acid reflux.
  • Some of these symptoms could also be caused by vasoconstriction which can lead to an increase in blood pressure - so measurable with a blood pressure machine. Magnesium acts as a vasodilator.

• As less than 1% of your total body magnesium is stored in the blood the standard (& cheapest) serum blood test is not a good indicator for a deficiency. The magnesium RBC blood test is slightly better. From: Magnesium: Are We Consuming Enough? [Dec 2018]

Where can I get quality, accurately-dosed Magnesium?

Avoid Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Malate if you value effectiveness. Lean towards Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Glycinate, which can be taken at any time of day for a multitude of purposes.

MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES:

Pure Encapsulations will always be my go to brand for supplements, especially Magnesium; you know exactly what you’re getting, the packaging doesn’t stand out, and it lasts a couple months. The only potential downside is the price, however it’s worth it when comparing the quality to other brands.

Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate - better for anxiety, stress, and metabolism

Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Citrate - better for heart, cognitive, and bone health

Nature Made is a cheaper option, however some say it’s less reliable than other brands and is made with fillers, but it’s better than nothing and the pros outweigh the cons:

Nature Made Magnesium Softgels

CALM Magnesium Gummies - These ones are pretty tasty and visually appealing but cost a tad more, the brand does however have a very strong reputation.

I will clarify once again ALWAYS RESEARCH WHERE YOU BUY YOUR SUPPLEMENTS

In humans, red blood cell (RBC) magnesium levels often provide a better reflection of body magnesium status than blood magnesium levels. When the magnesium concentration in the blood is low, magnesium is pulled out from the cells to maintain blood magnesium levels within normal range. Therefore, in case of magnesium deficiency, a blood test of magnesium might show normal levels, while an RBC magnesium test would provide a more accurate reflection of magnesium status of the body. For exact estimation of RBC magnesium level, individuals are advised not to consume vitamins, or mineral supplements for at least one week before collection of RBC samples. A normal RBC magnesium level ranges between 4.2 and 6.8 mg/dL. However, some experts recommend aiming for a minimum level of 6.0 mg/dL on the RBC test.

• Some have suggested the magnesium RBC test combined with the magnesium urine test would give a better diagnosis.

• Getting the RDA of magnesium from diet can be difficult unless you eat a lot of things like pumpkin seeds, almonds, ground flaxseed, spinach. Spinach also contains a healthy source of nitrates as well as magnesium which converts to nitric oxide(NO) in your body - NO is a potent vasodilator.

• Magnesium is also a cofactor in balancing glutamate (NMDA-glutamate receptor inhibition) and GABA (GABAA receptor) levels. Excitatory glutamate and inhibitory GABA have a seesaw relationship. Neurotransmitter levels in the brain are difficult to measure especially as they have a very short half-life, e.g. serotonin in the brain is purportedly just a few minutes.

ALCOHOL (if not consumed in moderation) has been shown time and time again to BUTCHER the potential for wellbeing

First, alcohol acts acutely as a Mg diuretic, causing a prompt, vigorous increase in the urinary excretion of this metal along with that of certain other electrolytes. Second, with chronic intake of alcohol and development of alcoholism, the body stores of Mg become depleted.

Why does Vitamin D3/D2 from sunlight/food/supplements REQUIRE MAGNESIUM?​

• Vitamin D (technically not a vitamin but a secosteroid; as a micronutrient in food it could be classed as a vitamin) will deplete magnesium stores from your body as D3/D2 needs magnesium to convert the inactive form of vitamin D to its active form.

zXwREDcqBCRAIForf21Ve4BbJ4dxRdgLNPAeI_3beNUeZMUq-b4oq1YUzLjIht5kq2pDCih6SUMr_ysj6YpnqVwJEFoXSRDy43d2B3aef5GKdoEJ4X8lKxjCblAYSl1FSGPlpfIUr6mEm8ZsAP-R2H0

From the Vitamin D section in: Vitamin and Mineral Interactions: The Complex Relationship of Essential Nutrients:

Magnesium
- Supplementing with vitamin D improves serum levels of magnesium especially in obese individuals.
- Magnesium is a cofactor for the biosynthesis, transport, and activation of vitamin D.
- Supplementing with magnesium improves vitamin D levels.
  • Vitamin D is shown to help with depression.
  • Vitamin D is a cofactor in the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH1 and TPH2) which is involved in synthesizing the amino acid L-tryptophan into 5-HTP which is a precursor to serotonin (5-HT). The hormone melatonin is produced from serotonin.
  • Some say the optimal range to aim for Vitamin D is 40-60 ng/mL or 100-150 nmol/L [=ng/mL X 2.5].
  • Is 50 ng of vitamin D too high, just right, or not enough?
6jTUkeg1YTdyzOB3phmGUIr4ecfdAPKumu03F3SFxKIy5fCfvvtiLSk5TzyfZukROqvvWiNuRWh9OdTVOclgfqnmBvC3gQ5J27M0KXD1aZJ59BkPUav6sdwgOkxdvKIoCiIZ7W-HRc67PyP5_gUBpZc

Further Reading​

FAQ:

#1 Which Form?​

Based on the Video and Further Reading links:
  • Magnesium glycinate (which I take) has high bioavailability and glycine (amino acid) is a sleep aid.
  • Magnesium L-threonate which Dr. Andrew Huberman recommends, purportedly passes through the blood-brain-barrier (BBB), so better for the mind.
  • The Mod at r/magnesium prefers magnesium chloride.
  • Taking other forms that have a laxative effect can be counterintuitive as you may lose magnesium through increased excretion.
  • Others in this post mention taurate and malate helped.

#2 Antagonists​

#3 RDA​

Very large doses of magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids (typically providing more than 5,000 mg/day magnesium) have been associated with magnesium toxicity [57]
How much magnesium should you take each day with vitamin D3?
Depends on how much magnesium is in your diet already. 200 mg or lower spread throughout your day is a good place to start. Then gradually raise your dose until you feel you are taking to much. You don't have to be too fussy as when you start getting near to the point of bowel tolerance your stools will become softer and more easy to pass. If you continue to increase your intake at that point you'll find you need to stay close to the restroom all day. We continue to recommend magnesium glycinate, it has the highest absorption rate combined with being easily tolerated by most people.

#4 Skin Health/Looks

• Vitamin D: Vitamin D plays a role in skin cell metabolism and growth. It has been found to enhance the skin's immune system and help in the creation of healthy skin. It may also help treat skin conditions like psoriasis.

• Magnesium: Magnesium is involved in several biochemical reactions in the body, including those that keep the skin hydrated and enhance the barrier function of the skin. Proper hydration can make the skin look healthier and more youthful.

#5 Anxiety​

#6 Dose/Timing​

• I'm currently taking pre packaged Vitamin D3 2,000-4,000IU (dependent on my planned sunlight exposure) with K2 MK 7 in MCT oil (so already fat-soluble) drops in the morning;
  • 200-300 mg magnesium glycinate (the milligram amount is the amount of elemental magnesium so ~50-75% of the RDA) most nights.
  • Sometimes cod liver oil instead of the Vitamin D3 as it also contains omega-3 and Vitamin A.
  • Vitamin D can be more stimulating; magnesium more relaxing/sleep-inducing (YMMV). When I took my Vitamin D3 in the afternoon or later I had insomnia.
I also take L-theanine with tea/coffee (for increasing GABA):

#7 Magnesium Intolerance?​

From r/magnesium sidebar:
  • Magnesium Intolerance? Consider Thiamine (Vitamin B1)!
  • And helpful reply from u/Flinkle:

You may have a thiamine deficiency/inability to activate thiamine because of your magnesium deficiency. That can cause the issues you've had when taking magnesium. You might try starting off with a good B complex, then add 25mg of thiamine, and bump up it if you don't have any issues with it after a week or so (it can make you feel worse before you feel better...that's why it's better to start low). I'm still working on raising my magnesium levels (without the issued you've experienced), so I don't take thiamine all the time, but I've taken as much as 500mg in one day, and it definitely makes me feel better.

#8 Magnesium in Food​

Today’s soil is depleted of minerals, and therefore the crops and vegetables grown in that soil are not as mineral-rich as they used to be. Approximately half of the US population consumes less than the required amount of magnesium. Even those who strive for better nutrition in whole foods can fall short, due to magnesium removal during food processing.
Since 1940 there has been a tremendous decline in the micronutrient density of foods. In the UK for example, there has been loss of magnesium in beef (−4 to −8%), bacon (−18%), chicken (−4%), cheddar cheese (−38%), parmesan cheese (−70%), whole milk (−21%) and vegetables (−24%).61 The loss of magnesium during food refining/processing is significant: white flour (−82%), polished rice (−83%), starch (−97%) and white sugar (−99%).12 Since 1968 the magnesium content in wheat has dropped almost 20%, which may be due to acidic soil, yield dilution and unbalanced crop fertilization (high levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, the latter of which antagonizes the absorption of magnesium in plants).62 One review paper concluded: ‘Magnesium deficiency in plants is becoming an increasingly severe problem with the development of industry and agriculture and the increase in human population’.62 Processed foods, fat, refined flour and sugars are all devoid of magnesium, and thus our Western diet predisposes us to magnesium deficiency. Good dietary sources of magnesium include nuts, dark chocolate and unrefined whole grains.

#9 K2​

Vitamin K2 MK-7 and the Activation of Osteocalcin and MGP
Taking a daily vitamin K2 MK-7 supplement is an action people can take to prevent arterial calcification. K2 has even been shown to reverse existing calcification and restore flexibility and elasticity to vessels.
I Have Heard That Vitamin K2 Can Reduce Arterial Calcification, Is This True?
In 2004 the Rotterdam study of 4807 people, showed that just 0.032 mg of Vitamin K2, reduced arterial calcification by 50%, cardiovascular risk by 50% and all-cause mortality by 25%. If one thinks for a second the consequences of those findings. 0.032 mg of K2 is a "tiny" amount. And that tiny amount reduced cardiovascular risk (including heart attacks) by 50%. There is no drug, no supplement, no surgical procedure, nothing that comes close to doing that.

#10 Maximum Dose​

Magnesium Intake
‘The homeostatic mechanisms to regulate magnesium balance were developed millions of years ago. Investigations of the macro- and micro-nutrient supply in Paleoithic nutrition of the former hunter/gatherer societies showed a magnesium uptake with the usual diet of about 600 mg magnesium/day, much higher than today’. Our homeostatic mechanisms and genome are still the same as with our ancestors in the Stone Age. This means our metabolism is best adapted to a high magnesium intake.5
Magnesium is one of the seven major minerals that the body needs in relatively large amounts (Calcium, potassium, sodium, chloride, potassium and phosphorus are the others). But too much of one major mineral can lead to a deficiency in another, and excessive magnesium can in turn cause a deficiency in calcium. Few people overdose on minerals from food. However, it is possible to get too much magnesium from supplements or laxatives.
By now, we can come to the conclusion that in order for Vitamin D and Magnesium to be used effectively…

THEY MUST BE USED TOGETHER

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Kaires, Son of gigachad, heightmaxxing and 11 others

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 29581

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 29581
Not a word, graycel.

overdosing on d3 while my ex is overdosing on d

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: LVZZO, It'snotover, schizo echochamber and 7 others
Incredible thread truly a shame tiktok attentioncels don't value anything good posted on here anymore

• +1
Reactions: drimprovement, schizo echochamber, JohnDoe and 4 others
Incredible thread truly a shame tiktok attentioncels don't value anything good posted on here anymore
Need tl : dr.

I already did my supplement research years ago and cant be bothered to read stuff like this without knowing whether its new info.

I take magnesium citrate and vitd+k2 supplements after eating fatty food.

So im prob good

tdlr cumskins don’t go outside in sun and don’t eat their broccoli

Need tl : dr.

I already did my supplement research years ago and cant be bothered to read stuff like this without knowing whether its new info.

I take magnesium citrate and vitd+k2 supplements after eating fatty food.

So im prob good
tldr take magnesium and vitamin d together for either of them to be effective and to receive the full benefits

• +1
Reactions: It'snotover and MoggerGaston
finally a good thread in offtopic

good info lost in the slums of off-topic
u should move it to looksmax section

liquid vitamins absorb a lot better than vitamin pills btw

Good thread, but literally just eat enough meat and get enough sunlight.

• Love it
Reactions: RAITEIII
nature made and bounty both have soybean and corn oil

• +1
Reactions: aesthedick
ONE IN FOUR people in the UNITED STATES have DEFICIENT LEVELS of Vitamin D

Vitamin D DEFICIENCY accounted for nearly 90% of COVID-19 hospitalizations which RESULTED IN DEATH

What is Vitamin D?

Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble secosteroids, with Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) being the most significant forms for humans. It's unique among vitamins, as it can be synthesized by the body when the skin is exposed to sunlight, specifically ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation. Vitamin D is crucial for maintaining many physiological functions, particularly in calcium and phosphate metabolism, vital for bone health.

What are the benefits of Vitamin D?

The primary benefit of Vitamin D is its role in promoting calcium absorption in the gut and maintaining adequate serum calcium and phosphate concentrations. This allows for normal mineralization of bone and prevents hypocalcemic tetany, a muscle condition caused by low calcium levels. It is also needed for bone growth and bone remodeling by osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Furthermore, Vitamin D has an influence on cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function, and reduction of inflammation.

What are the potential drawbacks of Vitamin D?

Vitamin D's drawbacks mainly arise from its deficiency or excessive intake. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to rickets in children—a condition marked by soft and weak bones, and osteomalacia or osteoporosis in adults, both conditions where the bones become weak and brittle. On the other hand, vitamin D toxicity, although rare, can cause nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss due to hypercalcemia (excess calcium in the blood). It can also lead to heart rhythm problems and kidney damage if not managed promptly.

How Does Vitamin D Work?

Vitamin D functions as a prohormone, which means it has little biological activity until it's converted into a more active form. After synthesis in the skin or absorption from food, it undergoes hydroxylation in the liver to form 25-hydroxyvitamin D, then another hydroxylation in the kidney to become its most active form, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D. This active form binds to the vitamin D receptor in various cells, influencing gene transcription and regulating calcium absorption, among other processes.

How Much Vitamin D Do You Need?

The recommended daily allowance for Vitamin D is currently set at 400–800 IU/day, but this may be too low for many adults. For moderate supplementation, a 1,000–2,000 IU dose of vitamin D3 is sufficient to meet the needs of most of the population. Higher daily doses are in the range of 20–80 IU per kilogram of body weight. The Upper Tolerable Intake Level in the United States and Canada is 4,000 IU per day (IU/day). It’s been suggested that the true Upper Tolerable Intake Level may actually be as high as 10,000 IU/day, but there is limited data on health outcomes using doses near this amount. Vitamin D3 supplementation (cholecalciferol) is recommended over D2 supplementation (ergocalciferol) because D3 tends to raise blood levels more effectively. Vitamin D should be taken daily, with meals or a source of fat. Remember, supplementation is not a substitute! Exposure to natural sunlight throughout the day is crucial.

Where can I get quality Vitamin D? By going outside (don’t forget to wear mineral sunscreen though)

Where can I get quality Vitamin D supplements? (remember supplementation is NOT a substitution)

Try to avoid buying those colorful bottles at the pharmacy or anything that claims to be an extremely high dose.

Pure Encapsulations is ALWAYS MY GO TO BRAND for supplements, especially when it comes to Vitamin D. It’s a tad more expensive than some other options, but the quality guarantee and brand reputation is worth it.

Pure Encapsulations Vitamin D

Other options to suit different budgets:

Nature Made Vitamin D

Nature’s Bounty Vitamin D - my second favorite brand

NOW Supplements Vitamin D

If you don’t care for ordering online then don’t worry most grocery stores and pharmacies have these in stock.

WHY YOU ARE USING VITAMIN D AND MAGNESIUM INCORRECTLY

This is where MAGNESIUM comes into play

If you are deficient in Vitamin D, then any Magnesium you take is practically REDUNDANT. If you are deficient in Magnesium then any Vitamin D you take is practically REDUNDANT. Vitamin D and Magnesium are only effective enough WHEN PAIRED TOGETHER.

What is Magnesium?

Magnesium is an essential dietary nutrient and is one of the most abundant minerals in the body. Magnesium acts as an electrolyte and is a cofactor for more than 300 enzymes. Magnesium is required for energy (ATP) production, glucose metabolism, DNA and protein synthesis, nerve conduction, bone health, and cardiovascular regulation, among other functions. It also plays a crucial role in the synthesis and activation of Vitamin D. Dietary sources of magnesium include dark green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, legumes, whole grains, and meat/fish such as salmon, chicken, and beef. Many foods such as breakfast cereals and bread are fortified with magnesium. It appears that approximately 20%–40% of the dietary magnesium that enters the body becomes bioavailable. More than half of adults may not meet the recommended daily intake of magnesium, likely because Western diets tend to be very low in magnesium-rich foods and high in processed foods and refined grains, which are magnesium-poor. As such, magnesium deficiency — which elevates the risk of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis — is a major public health concern, especially for older adults.

Why you probably have a Magnesium DEFICIENCY

You having a Magnesium deficiency begins with understanding the role of this essential mineral and the modern lifestyle factors that contribute to its depletion. Magnesium is a key player in over 300 enzymatic reactions within the body, contributing to bone health, heart health, and the proper functioning of nerves and muscles. However, due to factors like poor diet, stress, and certain health conditions, a substantial number of people are falling short of their daily magnesium needs. The highly processed nature of the standard Western diet often lacks magnesium-rich foods like whole grains, leafy greens, and legumes. Moreover, stress can lead to increased excretion of magnesium through urine, further depleting the body's stores. Finally, conditions such as gastrointestinal disorders can interfere with the body's ability to absorb magnesium. Hence, despite its importance, magnesium deficiency is a common but frequently overlooked health issue.

• Magnesium deficiency is strongly correlated with anxiety.

• Other possible symptoms are heart palpitations, leg cramps, vertigo, panic attacks, hypertension, IBS, acid reflux.
  • Some of these symptoms could also be caused by vasoconstriction which can lead to an increase in blood pressure - so measurable with a blood pressure machine. Magnesium acts as a vasodilator.

• As less than 1% of your total body magnesium is stored in the blood the standard (& cheapest) serum blood test is not a good indicator for a deficiency. The magnesium RBC blood test is slightly better. From: Magnesium: Are We Consuming Enough? [Dec 2018]

Where can I get quality, accurately-dosed Magnesium?

Avoid Magnesium Sulfate and Magnesium Malate if you value effectiveness. Lean towards Magnesium Citrate and Magnesium Glycinate, which can be taken at any time of day for a multitude of purposes.

MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES:

Pure Encapsulations will always be my go to brand for supplements, especially Magnesium; you know exactly what you’re getting, the packaging doesn’t stand out, and it lasts a couple months. The only potential downside is the price, however it’s worth it when comparing the quality to other brands.

Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glycinate - better for anxiety, stress, and metabolism

Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Citrate - better for heart, cognitive, and bone health

Nature Made is a cheaper option, however some say it’s less reliable than other brands and is made with fillers, but it’s better than nothing and the pros outweigh the cons:

Nature Made Magnesium Softgels

CALM Magnesium Gummies - These ones are pretty tasty and visually appealing but cost a tad more, the brand does however have a very strong reputation.

I will clarify once again ALWAYS RESEARCH WHERE YOU BUY YOUR SUPPLEMENTS

In humans, red blood cell (RBC) magnesium levels often provide a better reflection of body magnesium status than blood magnesium levels. When the magnesium concentration in the blood is low, magnesium is pulled out from the cells to maintain blood magnesium levels within normal range. Therefore, in case of magnesium deficiency, a blood test of magnesium might show normal levels, while an RBC magnesium test would provide a more accurate reflection of magnesium status of the body. For exact estimation of RBC magnesium level, individuals are advised not to consume vitamins, or mineral supplements for at least one week before collection of RBC samples. A normal RBC magnesium level ranges between 4.2 and 6.8 mg/dL. However, some experts recommend aiming for a minimum level of 6.0 mg/dL on the RBC test.

• Some have suggested the magnesium RBC test combined with the magnesium urine test would give a better diagnosis.

• Getting the RDA of magnesium from diet can be difficult unless you eat a lot of things like pumpkin seeds, almonds, ground flaxseed, spinach. Spinach also contains a healthy source of nitrates as well as magnesium which converts to nitric oxide(NO) in your body - NO is a potent vasodilator.

• Magnesium is also a cofactor in balancing glutamate (NMDA-glutamate receptor inhibition) and GABA (GABAA receptor) levels. Excitatory glutamate and inhibitory GABA have a seesaw relationship. Neurotransmitter levels in the brain are difficult to measure especially as they have a very short half-life, e.g. serotonin in the brain is purportedly just a few minutes.

ALCOHOL (if not consumed in moderation) has been shown time and time again to BUTCHER the potential for wellbeing

First, alcohol acts acutely as a Mg diuretic, causing a prompt, vigorous increase in the urinary excretion of this metal along with that of certain other electrolytes. Second, with chronic intake of alcohol and development of alcoholism, the body stores of Mg become depleted.

Why does Vitamin D3/D2 from sunlight/food/supplements REQUIRE MAGNESIUM?​

• Vitamin D (technically not a vitamin but a secosteroid; as a micronutrient in food it could be classed as a vitamin) will deplete magnesium stores from your body as D3/D2 needs magnesium to convert the inactive form of vitamin D to its active form.

zXwREDcqBCRAIForf21Ve4BbJ4dxRdgLNPAeI_3beNUeZMUq-b4oq1YUzLjIht5kq2pDCih6SUMr_ysj6YpnqVwJEFoXSRDy43d2B3aef5GKdoEJ4X8lKxjCblAYSl1FSGPlpfIUr6mEm8ZsAP-R2H0

From the Vitamin D section in: Vitamin and Mineral Interactions: The Complex Relationship of Essential Nutrients:

Magnesium
- Supplementing with vitamin D improves serum levels of magnesium especially in obese individuals.
- Magnesium is a cofactor for the biosynthesis, transport, and activation of vitamin D.
- Supplementing with magnesium improves vitamin D levels.
  • Vitamin D is shown to help with depression.
  • Vitamin D is a cofactor in the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase (TPH1 and TPH2) which is involved in synthesizing the amino acid L-tryptophan into 5-HTP which is a precursor to serotonin (5-HT). The hormone melatonin is produced from serotonin.
  • Some say the optimal range to aim for Vitamin D is 40-60 ng/mL or 100-150 nmol/L [=ng/mL X 2.5].
  • Is 50 ng of vitamin D too high, just right, or not enough?
6jTUkeg1YTdyzOB3phmGUIr4ecfdAPKumu03F3SFxKIy5fCfvvtiLSk5TzyfZukROqvvWiNuRWh9OdTVOclgfqnmBvC3gQ5J27M0KXD1aZJ59BkPUav6sdwgOkxdvKIoCiIZ7W-HRc67PyP5_gUBpZc

Further Reading​

FAQ:

#1 Which Form?​

Based on the Video and Further Reading links:
  • Magnesium glycinate (which I take) has high bioavailability and glycine (amino acid) is a sleep aid.
  • Magnesium L-threonate which Dr. Andrew Huberman recommends, purportedly passes through the blood-brain-barrier (BBB), so better for the mind.
  • The Mod at r/magnesium prefers magnesium chloride.
  • Taking other forms that have a laxative effect can be counterintuitive as you may lose magnesium through increased excretion.
  • Others in this post mention taurate and malate helped.

#2 Antagonists​

#3 RDA​

Very large doses of magnesium-containing laxatives and antacids (typically providing more than 5,000 mg/day magnesium) have been associated with magnesium toxicity [57]
How much magnesium should you take each day with vitamin D3?
Depends on how much magnesium is in your diet already. 200 mg or lower spread throughout your day is a good place to start. Then gradually raise your dose until you feel you are taking to much. You don't have to be too fussy as when you start getting near to the point of bowel tolerance your stools will become softer and more easy to pass. If you continue to increase your intake at that point you'll find you need to stay close to the restroom all day. We continue to recommend magnesium glycinate, it has the highest absorption rate combined with being easily tolerated by most people.

#4 Skin Health/Looks

• Vitamin D: Vitamin D plays a role in skin cell metabolism and growth. It has been found to enhance the skin's immune system and help in the creation of healthy skin. It may also help treat skin conditions like psoriasis.

• Magnesium: Magnesium is involved in several biochemical reactions in the body, including those that keep the skin hydrated and enhance the barrier function of the skin. Proper hydration can make the skin look healthier and more youthful.

#5 Anxiety​

#6 Dose/Timing​

• I'm currently taking pre packaged Vitamin D3 2,000-4,000IU (dependent on my planned sunlight exposure) with K2 MK 7 in MCT oil (so already fat-soluble) drops in the morning;
  • 200-300 mg magnesium glycinate (the milligram amount is the amount of elemental magnesium so ~50-75% of the RDA) most nights.
  • Sometimes cod liver oil instead of the Vitamin D3 as it also contains omega-3 and Vitamin A.
  • Vitamin D can be more stimulating; magnesium more relaxing/sleep-inducing (YMMV). When I took my Vitamin D3 in the afternoon or later I had insomnia.
I also take L-theanine with tea/coffee (for increasing GABA):

#7 Magnesium Intolerance?​

From r/magnesium sidebar:
  • Magnesium Intolerance? Consider Thiamine (Vitamin B1)!
  • And helpful reply from u/Flinkle:

You may have a thiamine deficiency/inability to activate thiamine because of your magnesium deficiency. That can cause the issues you've had when taking magnesium. You might try starting off with a good B complex, then add 25mg of thiamine, and bump up it if you don't have any issues with it after a week or so (it can make you feel worse before you feel better...that's why it's better to start low). I'm still working on raising my magnesium levels (without the issued you've experienced), so I don't take thiamine all the time, but I've taken as much as 500mg in one day, and it definitely makes me feel better.

#8 Magnesium in Food​

Today’s soil is depleted of minerals, and therefore the crops and vegetables grown in that soil are not as mineral-rich as they used to be. Approximately half of the US population consumes less than the required amount of magnesium. Even those who strive for better nutrition in whole foods can fall short, due to magnesium removal during food processing.
Since 1940 there has been a tremendous decline in the micronutrient density of foods. In the UK for example, there has been loss of magnesium in beef (−4 to −8%), bacon (−18%), chicken (−4%), cheddar cheese (−38%), parmesan cheese (−70%), whole milk (−21%) and vegetables (−24%).61 The loss of magnesium during food refining/processing is significant: white flour (−82%), polished rice (−83%), starch (−97%) and white sugar (−99%).12 Since 1968 the magnesium content in wheat has dropped almost 20%, which may be due to acidic soil, yield dilution and unbalanced crop fertilization (high levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, the latter of which antagonizes the absorption of magnesium in plants).62 One review paper concluded: ‘Magnesium deficiency in plants is becoming an increasingly severe problem with the development of industry and agriculture and the increase in human population’.62 Processed foods, fat, refined flour and sugars are all devoid of magnesium, and thus our Western diet predisposes us to magnesium deficiency. Good dietary sources of magnesium include nuts, dark chocolate and unrefined whole grains.

#9 K2​

Vitamin K2 MK-7 and the Activation of Osteocalcin and MGP
Taking a daily vitamin K2 MK-7 supplement is an action people can take to prevent arterial calcification. K2 has even been shown to reverse existing calcification and restore flexibility and elasticity to vessels.
I Have Heard That Vitamin K2 Can Reduce Arterial Calcification, Is This True?
In 2004 the Rotterdam study of 4807 people, showed that just 0.032 mg of Vitamin K2, reduced arterial calcification by 50%, cardiovascular risk by 50% and all-cause mortality by 25%. If one thinks for a second the consequences of those findings. 0.032 mg of K2 is a "tiny" amount. And that tiny amount reduced cardiovascular risk (including heart attacks) by 50%. There is no drug, no supplement, no surgical procedure, nothing that comes close to doing that.

#10 Maximum Dose​

Magnesium Intake
‘The homeostatic mechanisms to regulate magnesium balance were developed millions of years ago. Investigations of the macro- and micro-nutrient supply in Paleoithic nutrition of the former hunter/gatherer societies showed a magnesium uptake with the usual diet of about 600 mg magnesium/day, much higher than today’. Our homeostatic mechanisms and genome are still the same as with our ancestors in the Stone Age. This means our metabolism is best adapted to a high magnesium intake.5
Magnesium is one of the seven major minerals that the body needs in relatively large amounts (Calcium, potassium, sodium, chloride, potassium and phosphorus are the others). But too much of one major mineral can lead to a deficiency in another, and excessive magnesium can in turn cause a deficiency in calcium. Few people overdose on minerals from food. However, it is possible to get too much magnesium from supplements or laxatives.
By now, we can come to the conclusion that in order for Vitamin D and Magnesium to be used effectively…

THEY MUST BE USED TOGETHER

Many serious sources showing demonstrating your arguments, bookmarked for further reading and prospects

• +1
Reactions: Amadeus
Good thread but a few questions i had.
I take d3/k2 4000/100 daily as not much sun here and I've always been deficient. If I'm supplementing this amount, how much magnesium do i need? Epsom salts in a sitz bath are apparently a good way to soak up magnesium but not sure how to measure how much you are actually getting. Magnesium is also a calcium channel blocker.

This is correct

The key supplements are magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin K2

Take more magnesium than they say - 400mg isn't enough, try 600-800mg

which should i take, magnesium citrate or glycinate? or do i take both?