Will braces fuck me up somehow?

TsarTsar444

TsarTsar444

Asexual peaceful balkan monk
Planning to get braces in my early 20's, will it fuck me up in those ages, i heard it's bad to wear braces during puberty so thats why

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787, ItsOver.com and IWantToMax
No they just align your teeth

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: middayshowers and poonkiller9000
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and ItsOver.com
Certainly not as much. What issues do you have? A lot of issues can be resolved with simple treatments and some people don't really need braces at all. I got braces for spacing and ended up with more problems than when I started. My palate is now narrower, my teeth look like they collapsed inward, my smile looks way more awkward and forced (dental retraction can do this) and I have a middle tooth. I was lucky enough to avoid any maxillary recession, because I didn't have my overbite corrected with elastics by my request and what could've (maybe) assisted was that I used short-term facepulling anchored on my canine brackets and I jutted my lower incisors into my uppers 24/7 to the point where all of my incisors were very noticeably loose, this issue has resolved itself now.

Last edited:
  • Woah
Reactions: TsarTsar444
Braces? No
Rubber bands? Yes

• +1
Reactions: Wincel
Yes but i heard from lookism that having braces in childhood or puberty will fuck up your face
Their faces were destined to fuck up with or without braces

• +1
Reactions: Drugs, Dogs and Deleted member 470
Yes but i heard from lookism that having braces in childhood or puberty will fuck up your face
It definitely does. Elastics can retract the upper jaw and especially if you have spacing the method they use will collapse your palate/prevent it from expanding naturally.

• +1
Reactions: ungewist, TylerDurden and Deleted member 470
Certainly not as much. What issues do you have? A lot of issues can be resolved with simple treatments and some people don't really need braces at all. I got braces for spacing and ended up with more problems than when I started. My palate is now narrower, my teeth look like they collapsed inward, my smile looks way more awkward and forced (dental retraction can do this) and I have a middle tooth. I was lucky enough to avoid any maxillary recession, because I didn't have my overbite corrected with elastics by my request and what could've (maybe) assisted was that I used short-term facepulling anchored on my canine brackets and I jutted my lower incisors into my uppers 24/7 to the point where all of my incisors were very noticeably loose, this issue has resolved itself now.
Dude, same for me, i also have teeth spacing, thats why i consider wearing braces, my doc said it should take one year to close my gaps, other then spacing my teeth are totally fine. So it's not worth it to take braces for spacing? Right now i have 10-12 teeth showing when i smile. You said your palate is more narrow now, but this doesn't make sense to me, if you fill the teeth together then there will be even more teeth showing because they are close to each other

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: ungewist, Deleted member 13787 and ItsOver.com
Dude, same for me, i also have teeth spacing, thats why i consider wearing braces, my doc said it should take one year to close my gaps, other then spacing my teeth are totally fine. So it's not worth it to take braces for spacing? Right now i have 10-12 teeth showing when i smile. You said your palate is more narrow now, but this doesn't make sense to me, if you fill the teeth together then there will be even more teeth showing because they are close to each other

I would've rather done what this guy did and you can too but I recommend making a sort of soft guard with flexible plastic that prevents the elastics from slipping under your gums and getting stuck. Make sure it wraps around where your gums meet your teeth but doesn't cover the rest of your teeth, and it fits snugly. Its a bit of work but you will save a lot of money and aesthetic damage. You should probably go slow with this method, don't let it get too painful.

I have the same amount of teeth showing but its narrower. The spaces are filled but the way they are filled is by pushing inwards on the palate as the teeth are strung together. The spaces made up some of the width if that makes sense.

• Love it
Reactions: TsarTsar444
hard mewing solves most of you fuckers problems.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ungewist and Drugs
That would make his spacing worse if anything lol
I would honestly take the extra spacing if hard mewing works and gives me more forward growth. Forward growth >>>>> closed gaps lol

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Deleted member 13787 and ItsOver.com
I would honestly take the extra spacing if hard mewing works and gives me more forward growth. Forward growth >>>>> closed gaps lol
I think dental palate expansion from hardmewing is going to happen much quicker than upswing. What I recommend doing is the antithesis to Astro Sky's "engage the root" method. Have light support in the back of your tongue and push hard with the front only. This will minimize dental expansion (dental expansion is nice but its limiting your potential skeletal expansion if you decide to get it done with MSE or RPE) and maximise upswing.

• +1
Reactions: ungewist and TsarTsar444
I think dental palate expansion from hardmewing is going to happen much quicker than upswing. What I recommend doing is the antithesis to Astro Sky's "engage the root" method. Have light support in the back of your tongue and push hard with the front only. This will minimize dental expansion (dental expansion is nice but its limiting your potential skeletal expansion if you decide to get it done with MSE or RPE) and maximise upswing.
what? palate expansion automatically expands the maxilla horizontally you are saying to push with the tip of tongue instead of root? That is so fucking retarded do you hear urself? could you give evidence??

what? palate expansion automatically expands the maxilla horizontally you are saying to push with the tip of tongue instead of root? That is so fucking retarded do you hear urself? could you give evidence??
Palate expansion DOES NOT expand the maxilla horizontally unless you split the maxillary suture. If you press with the root of your tongue more than the tip of the tongue you will get dental expansion only with no skeletal effect and your maxilla will rotate clockwise. I don't really have evidence, its just logic.

Here's Astro renouncing his own method in favor of one like mine which I have always promoted with a pushing force with the front of the tongue and a light suction/holding force on the back. My mewing method leads to minimal palate expansion so that skeletal expansion can be done without you ending up with a skeletal and dental expanded palate where you have a 100 tooth shark smile and a straight-line palate by the time you're done.

Last edited:
all ur posts are trash, kys

Palate expansion DOES NOT expand the maxilla horizontally unless you split the maxillary suture. If you press with the root of your tongue more than the tip of the tongue you will get dental expansion only with no skeletal effect and your maxilla will rotate clockwise. I don't really have evidence, its just logic.

Here's Astro renouncing his own method in favor of one like mine which I have always promoted with a pushing force with the front of the tongue and a light suction/holding force on the back. My mewing method leads to minimal palate expansion so that skeletal expansion can be done without you ending up with a skeletal and dental expanded palate where you have a 100 tooth shark smile and a straight-line palate by the time you're done.

View attachment 163602
I feel like that graph is bs tbh. the back of the maxilla is essential to pushing up the infraorbital rims. it doesnt cause any downswing at all.

its actually the major thing that seperates chads from normies .

I feel like that graph is bs tbh. the back of the maxilla is essential to pushing up the infraorbital rims. it doesnt cause any downswing at all.

its actually the major thing that seperates chads from normies .
There are benefits from having support in the back as you develop, I don't disagree with that, but can you provide a reason that the majority of the force on that part wouldn't produce downswing? I think there should be somewhat even force in both the back and the front but the front should receive at least slightly more.

There are benefits from having support in the back as you develop, I don't disagree with that, but can you provide a reason that the majority of the force on that part wouldn't produce downswing?
idk if it would. I havent even tried to put force there but as it seems to be the case is that the soft palate is different from the hard palate so the soft palate stays up but doesnt effect the hard palates true upswing?

idk if it would. I havent even tried to put force there but as it seems to be the case is that the soft palate is different from the hard palate so the soft palate stays up but doesnt effect the hard palates true upswing?
I can't read that like I'm trying but I need more ritalin or a different configuration of those words

If I can assume what you might be saying you dont push on the soft palate at all, even mewing from birth, it would block your airway

I can't read that like I'm trying but I need more ritalin or a different configuration of those words

If I can assume what you might be saying you dont push on the soft palate at all, even mewing from birth, it would block your airway
you sure? thats the only place my posterior third goes. to be fair it kinda disengages when I breath but when I push swallow the way Improve my infraorbitals I use the posterior third.

when I didnt I didnt get results

So if I had braces from age 16 - 19 (a few weeks after turning 19, actually) and I wore rubber bands every night, was the growth of my maxilla definitely restrained?

So if I had braces from age 16 - 19 (a few weeks after turning 19, actually) and I wore rubber bands every night, was the growth of my maxilla definitely restrained?
Its very likely that at least a small portion of your maxilla's growth was restrained, there's also force pulling it backwards which is beyond restraining
you sure? thats the only place my posterior third goes. to be fair it kinda disengages when I breath but when I push swallow the way Improve my infraorbitals I use the posterior third.

when I didnt I didnt get results
Interesting. Its certainly possible to apply force on the entire soft palate but I have yet to see a case where someone can do it and still breathe.

Its very likely that at least a small portion of your maxilla's growth was restrained, there's also force pulling it backwards which is beyond restraining

Interesting. Its certainly possible to apply force on the entire soft palate but I have yet to see a case where someone can do it and still breathe.

Damn. Is there any way to reverse the damage that was done other than through double jaw surgery?

Damn. Is there any way to reverse the damage that was done other than through double jaw surgery?
Yes. If you can suffer from retractive force you can benefit from protractive force. I wouldn't worry about it any more than you did before asking, prioritize it if it needs work, if your face is still fine after the treatment just move on. I had a friend who had 6 extractions and a very forceful deliberately retractive headgear when he was only prepubescent and he's the biggest slayer I know. His face was damaged but its still good looking so it didn't really matter. A lot of people can benefit from protractive headgear and double jaw surgery but deciding to get it because you want to undo damage and not just because it would benefit you greatly isn't good reasoning my opinion. Its more of an emotionally influenced decision at that point.

Braces improved me. But i think its a shot in the dark tbh.

Yes. If you can suffer from retractive force you can benefit from protractive force. I wouldn't worry about it any more than you did before asking, prioritize it if it needs work, if your face is still fine after the treatment just move on. I had a friend who had 6 extractions and a very forceful deliberately retractive headgear when he was only prepubescent and he's the biggest slayer I know. His face was damaged but its still good looking so it didn't really matter. A lot of people can benefit from protractive headgear and double jaw surgery but deciding to get it because you want to undo damage and not just because it would benefit you greatly isn't good reasoning my opinion. Its more of an emotionally influenced decision at that point.

@Wincel While I don't think having braces (with elastics) ended up making my face as severely recessed as others, I still think my looks (and overall attractiveness) would benefit significantly from having my maxilla brought forward. I posted two pictures below (slightly different head postures in each one). As you can see, even though my maxilla doesn't look extremely recessed, the upper lip is still relatively flat:

In your opinion, what's the best way to go about correcting the retraction and making my maxilla look as attractive as possible (I already have custom midface implants as well as a chin implant)? Should I go for double jaw surgery, or do you think a custom premaxillary/paranasal implant along with a lip lift could achieve 70% of the aesthetic result of double jaw surgery?

@Wincel While I don't think having braces (with elastics) ended up making my face as severely recessed as others, I still think my looks (and overall attractiveness) would benefit significantly from having my maxilla brought forward. I posted two pictures below (slightly different head postures in each one). As you can see, even though my maxilla doesn't look extremely recessed, the upper lip is still relatively flat:

In your opinion, what's the best way to go about correcting the retraction and making my maxilla look as attractive as possible (I already have custom midface implants as well as a chin implant)? Should I go for double jaw surgery, or do you think a custom premaxillary/paranasal implant along with a lip lift could achieve 70% of the aesthetic result of double jaw surgery?

You're a doctor? Whats with the white coat?

• JFL
Reactions: IWantToMax
You're a doctor? Whats with the white coat?

No, I wish LOL. I'm a student in a health professions program (not medical school, though)

No, I wish LOL. I'm a student in a health professions program (not medical school, though)
Try lip fillers. I see a little bit of muscle strain in your lip seal which could be corrected with volume

Try lip fillers. I see a little bit of muscle strain in your lip seal which could be corrected with volume

So you don't think it would be worth it to get double jaw surgery to get a more forward-projecting maxilla?

Someone also suggested getting botox injections in the corners of my lips to make my mouth more upturned

At your age, no. Your bones are already fused. Your face will stay the same. I recommend getting clear aligners though, as they can align the teeth and palate better, and you can see the finished result before you start. Also, you can still do mewing with clear plastic retainers, which is what you should get instead of the acrylic and metal kind.

At your age, no. Your bones are already fused. Your face will stay the same. I recommend getting clear aligners though, as they can align the teeth and palate better, and you can see the finished result before you start. Also, you can still do mewing with clear plastic retainers, which is what you should get instead of the acrylic and metal kind.
Do you think there are benefits to Invisalign compared to braces/Damon system
So you don't think it would be worth it to get double jaw surgery to get a more forward-projecting maxilla?

Someone also suggested getting botox injections in the corners of my lips to make my mouth more upturned
You're not that recessed looking. But ramus is lacking

Do you think there are benefits to Invisalign compared to braces/Damon system
Yup. Anything braces do, Invisalign does better. I say this is because Invisalign can push and pull in any direction, meaning that it can expand your palate slightly. Braces cannot do this, as they are only attached to one point on the teeth. This limits their capability. You would need a palate expander beforehand or mew while your braces are on jfl :lul: .