Are elastics really going to recess you?

ObamasLastName

ObamasLastName

I was brought here by fate.
Asked my friend who has good forward growth if they had elastics with their braces and said yes. Asked 2 other people who has good forward growth as well and they also said yes. Elastics debunked case closed.

(Coping rn jfl)

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ungewist
3 forward grown people with elastics doesn't disprove anything, it won't recess you but it won't allow for full growth

• +1
Reactions: Manfrommars, ungewist, Good_Little_Goy and 2 others
Asked my friend who has good forward growth if they had elastics with their braces and said yes. Asked 2 other people who has good forward growth as well and they also said yes. Elastics debunked case closed.
I feel like my braces caused my recessed chin, I also didn't wear those rubber things

• +1
3 forward grown people with elastics doesn't disprove anything, it won't recess you but it won't allow for full growth
I think we should take into account what age the person gets braces as well since if they get it at 9-12 they would still obtain forward growth in their later years

• +1
Reactions: JustBeCurry
Can vary depending on their orthodontic case. Your friend could’ve just had it for narrowing his upper arch to align his bite to “improve occlusion”
In other cases they use elastics to retract the upper jaw to fix overjet or overbite.

Can vary depending on their orthodontic case. Your friend could’ve just had it for narrowing his upper arch to align his bite to “improve occlusion”
In other cases they use elastics to retract the upper jaw to fix overjet or overbite.
bro you're getting mse+fm right? are you doing anything for your lower jaw

ortho recommended me elastics in the back molars but i don’t have any overbite

My case is a crooked bottom incisor and slight malocclusion which is said to cause my slight tilted teeth

bro you're getting mse+fm right? are you doing anything for your lower jaw
No my ortho says the mandible will rotate as the maxilla moves forward. If you’re talking about transverse expansion, maxillary molars will be torqued lingual and mandibular molars uprighted.
ortho recommended me elastics in the back molars but i don’t have any overbite

My case is a crooked bottom incisor and slight malocclusion which is said to cause my slight tilted teeth
what is the elastics pulling? Can u take a pic or something

• +1
Reactions: JustBeCurry
No my ortho says the mandible will rotate as the maxilla moves forward. If you’re talking about transverse expansion, maxillary molars will be torqued lingual and mandibular molars uprighted.

yeah i’ll send you me biting and mouth open in pms soon. They didn’t tell me exactly what they’re pulling either i just heard them discuss with their assistant that it’ll take 6 months to a year to fix my problem. Hopefully elastics won’t be needed

Check pms when u can

(Coping rn jfl)
Yes bro don’t fucking do them

legit I know ppl who started looking much worse after class 2 elastics

• +1
Yes bro don’t fucking do them

legit I know ppl who started looking much worse after class 2 elastics
I don’t have an overbite to fix but they still said something about getting bands in the back molars

• +1
You gonna be a recessed fuck

Face > teeth
Nah in my case i’ll just get aligners or braces i might not get elastics lmao my bite is good it’s just i have a pretty narrow lower arch compared to my upper

Nah in my case i’ll just get aligners or braces i might not get elastics lmao my bite is good it’s just i have a pretty narrow lower arch compared to my upper
Legit just say “I want a wider smile” and get Invisalign it’s faster and better than traditional braces. Invisalign or Damon braces imo

• +1
Legit just say “I want a wider smile” and get Invisalign it’s faster and better than traditional braces. Invisalign or Damon braces imo
check pms, i would love to get Invisalign but i doubt my parents would let me cus of it’s cost. i’ll look into damon braces just anything besides elastic yk

check pms, i would love to get Invisalign but i doubt my parents would let me cus of it’s cost. i’ll look into damon braces just anything besides elastic yk
Braces/alligners can be controlled to move anywhere. Just make it known that you do not want to retract or narrowing anything to your orthodontist. Also from the looks of your occlusion, it seems like they won’t retract anything because you have close to Class I bite. But they might use the elastic bands to narrow your palate to make your upper and lower even. Let them know you don’t want that and just want straightening and expand to fill in the gaps instead.

Braces/alligners can be controlled to move anywhere. Just make it known that you do not want to retract or narrowing anything to your orthodontist. Also from the looks of your occlusion, it seems like they won’t retract anything because you have close to Class I bite. But they might use the elastic bands to narrow your palate to make your upper and lower even. Let them know you don’t want that and just want straightening and expand to fill in the gaps instead.
Alright thanks for the advice, will do and if i ascend i’ll post when i’m 18

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3020
YES THEY WILL

I got braces between 14 and 17 and I maybe had to start using elastics from 15 or 16 I can't remember exactly. Don't think it really changed anything tbh since it just rotates my canines rather pulling my entire maxilla down.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ObamasLastName
Any form of orthodontics that extracts teeth or pushes things back (retractive) should be avoided

Any form of orthodontics that extracts teeth or pushes things back (retractive) should be avoided
Yeah i’m gonna get damon braces if they allow me to and if they decline i’ll just find a different ortho since the cunts need to widen my smile if you get what i mean not narrow it

I got braces between 14 and 17 and I maybe had to start using elastics from 15 or 16 I can't remember exactly. Don't think it really changed anything tbh since it just rotates my canines rather pulling my entire maxilla down.
Did you have a class 2 bite

• +1
14 year old me didn't give a shit about that jfl :lul:. All I know is that I had a canine that was kinda out of place.
My canine is kinda out of place as well but we’ll see it’s not a critical problem

My canine is kinda out of place as well but we’ll see it’s not a critical problem
in any case it probably wont recess anything. The only people who constantly parrot this are .me users :lul:. Yet when I search online for this there is nothing which suggests it fucks up your maxilla.

• +1
Reactions: ObamasLastName
in any case it probably wont recess anything. The only people who constantly parrot this are .me users :lul:. Yet when I search online for this there is nothing which suggests it fucks up your maxilla.
ubber bands would defo prevent growth, if your maxilla grows your lower jaw will keep it from moving/growing same deal if lower jaw grows, because the growth isn't strong enough to counteract the rubber bands, "Orthodontists generally use elastics to correct the position of the upper and lower arches to improve your bite. When the elastics are used in a manner where the ends of a rubber band are attached to both the upper and lower teeth, it will pull on both the upper and lower jaw at the same time meaning you will end up with either a more recessed maxilla or mandible. Because elastics are usually attracted with one end to a back tooth and the other to a more forward tooth, the larger roots of the back teeth will be harder to move whereas the front teeth with smaller roots are easier to move. Essentially a game of tug o war between your teeth with the back teeth dragging the frontal teeth backward as the final product."

better safe than sorry though

fucking copers if u understand what elastics does u would see how this question doesnt even make sense, of course it recesses you