Are facial changes due to mouth breathing only a result of chronic mouth breathing?

D

Deleted member 18515

Bronze
My friend's doctor told him that changes in face from mouth breathing are from 'chronic mouth breathing only.' So is snoring at night (mouth breathing at night) during childhood enough to make your face look like a mouth breather's face?

No it has to be chronic.

My friend's doctor told him that changes in face from mouth breathing are from 'chronic mouth breathing only.' So is snoring at night (mouth breathing at night) during childhood enough to make your face look like a mouth breather's face?
Other factors might be involved as well like genetics, nutrition vs...
But mouth breathing is a known contributor to recession(even though most doctors and orthodontists don't accept that...)

Other factors might be involved as well like genetics, nutrition vs...
But mouth breathing is a known contributor to recession(even though most doctors and orthodontists don't accept that...)
ive been mouth breathing but im not recessed but like i have other things like flat cheekbones is that due to mouth breathing i have a very strong jaw tho and not recessed but i also had an expander as a kid so idk

ive been mouth breathing but im not recessed but like i have other things like flat cheekbones is that due to mouth breathing i have a very strong jaw tho and not recessed but i also had an expander as a kid so idk
I can't know if your flat cheekbones are a sign of recession unless I see pictures. But one thing for sure is that recession does not always mean malloclusion. For example: some people have very recessed area below their orbitals, but their lower maxilla and jaw is only slightly recessed. Therefore they have normal malloclusion, but they are still visibly recessed(I am one of those people)
So what you are describing might be because of mouth breathing indeed, or you might not have any issue at all, but one thing for certain is stopping mouthbreating at this age won't be enough to reverse anything, it could only make things from going worse(But I doubt that even if you continue mouthbreathing anything about your face would change at this point at all. Change in facial bones doesn't happen significant enough to change your facial appearance after growth is complete. But you should breath from your nose regardless if you want to change anything or not, because thats the healthy thing to do anyways, humans are designed to breathe from their nose when resting, not from their mouth.)

I can't know if your flat cheekbones are a sign of recession unless I see pictures. But one thing for sure is that recession does not always mean malloclusion. For example: some people have very recessed area below their orbitals, but their lower maxilla and jaw is only slightly recessed. Therefore they have normal malloclusion, but they are still visibly recessed(I am one of those people)
So what you are describing might be because of mouth breathing indeed, or you might not have any issue at all, but one thing for certain is stopping mouthbreating at this age won't be enough to reverse anything, it could only make things from going worse(But I doubt that even if you continue mouthbreathing anything about your face would change at this point at all. Change in facial bones doesn't happen significant enough to change your facial appearance after growth is complete. But you should breath from your nose regardless if you want to change anything or not, because thats the healthy thing to do anyways, humans are designed to breathe from their nose when resting, not from their mouth.)
what abt mewing