Facial Aesthetics: The Importance of Highlight/Shadow Contour

Uncanny frontal facial morphs are a common sight in the PSL community.

Example of an uncanny morph, before and after:

None

Too many people here think that the reason why the morph doesn’t look so good is that its ratios are bad or that harmonious morphs can’t be achieved in general. Copes.

Contouring is super important and underrated in morphs.

Contour makeup is used to fraud bone structure to make faces more aesthetically pleasing:

Contouring changes the perceived depth of different parts of the face when viewed from the front. Contouring can advance the infras forwards, or it can recess the maxilla.

Here’s the Cavill morph and it with contour applied:

None
Natural
Extreme

The middle one has a moderate amount of contour applied, and it’s the edit that I like the most. The 3rd one has exaggerated contour to more clearly show what contour I put.

But I deliberately let out a contoured part from the morphs. Can you figure out what’s missing?

Mouth area contour. It’s a challenge to morph bad lips into good lips. Until I learned about the importance of contour in morphing, I just distorted the lips to make them fuller if they’re too thin—doing this without the proper contour results in uncanny mouth areas.

The power of contour for fixing shit lips:

Natural
Mouth

Contour makes his mouth looks way better.

I added contour by painting a layer over the face. Here’s how the contour (including the mouth contour) itself looks:

Contour mask

Feel free to use the contour image on your morphs.

Negative contour, like this contour that recesses Cavill’s maxilla, can looksmin:

Recessed

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Lookologist003, Aero and Fishy
Still fucking uncanny, bro is onto nothing :feelsokman:

• +1
  • WTF
Reactions: dna_cel, cyprian_tomaszewski and thecel
Not doing contour, not a faggot 🙏

• WTF
Reactions: thecel
Not doing contour, not a faggot 🙏

I don’t just mean contour makeup. By “contour” I’m talking about the ways that light interacts with your facial structure and forms highlights and shadows. The purpose of contour makeup is to create the illusion of contours formed by bone structure. Good bones = good contours.

Poor means of proving your point but it’s legit, contour is legit

• +1
Reactions: thecel and dna_cel
4117162 noned

If you apply the mask in reverse, it looks like he has subhuman skin/sunburns :lul:

• JFL
Reactions: thecel