Create your own (shampoo edition)

Aypo129

Aypo129

Kraken

One of the most important hair care products is a shampoo use to clean your hair

Shampoo is generally made by combining a surfactant, most often sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate, with a co-surfactant, most often cocamidopropyl betaine in water to form a thick, viscous liquid. Other essential ingredients include salt (sodium chloride), which is used to adjust the viscosity, a preservative and fragrance.[22][23]

ZDFiN2JiOWQtOWY0YS00ZDZhLWFiMDktMTE1YjYwMGU4NTJh_-

Did you know that your shampoo can contain ingredients harmful to both you and the environment? Chief among them: Sulfates. But what exactly are sulfates, and what other problematic shampoo ingredients should you avoid?
Instead of harmful shampoo brands to avoid, i have made a list of 17 common and not-so-nice shampoo ingredients to watch out for — and why. What are the main ingredients of shampoo to skip? Read on to find out.

1. Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)​

What are sulfates? Sulfates are very strong detergents that work through a chemical reaction, in which they bind with the sebum on our scalp and with water. When you rinse out the shampoo, sulfates take all the oils and residue with them. But while cleansing, they can also damage the hair, make it brittle, and increase frizz.

2. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)​

This sulfate creates a lathering foam some people love, but it can compromise follicles when left on the scalp and it has other toxic effects on the human body. Yikes! Anyone with color-treated hair or dry hair should definitely avoid SLS, as it can fade your color and strip your strands of natural oils.

3. Parabens​

Parabens are also known to be harmful. They are used as a preservative to prevent bacteria from growing in cosmetics and shampoos. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen and have been linked to increased growth of breast cancer cells.

4. Sodium Chloride​

Sodium chloride is another name for salt. Sodium chloride in shampoo and conditioner is mainly there to make the consistency thicker. Salt can make an already-sensitive scalp dry and itchy, which can eventually cause hair loss.

5. Polyethylene Glycols (PEG)​

PEG is a thickening agent derived from petroleum that is often contaminated with byproducts. There has not been sufficient research done to conclude that PEGs themselves are as toxic as shampoo ingredients, but common byproducts in PEGs can be harmful.

6+7. Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA)​

DEA and TEA are also emulsifiers and foam agents that reduce surface tension so water-soluble and oil-soluble ingredients can blend together. In 1998, researchers found a link between the topical application of DEA and cancer in animals, but the effects on humans are unclear. The European Commission has banned DEA in cosmetics.

8. Formaldehyde​

Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen and has been proven to be absorbed through the skin in animal testing. Manufacturers often add it to products directly as a preservative, but it can also be released over time through a chemical process from other types of preservatives. If you’re wondering what to look for, a common one in shampoos is quaternium-15. They can also be found in chemicals used for Brazilian blowouts at hair salons.

9. Alcohol​

Most alcohols have a drying effect, and the higher up in the ingredients list they appear, the more alcohols the product contains. Some alcohols that are not as bad for dry hair begin with a “C” or an “S,” like Cetearyl alcohol and Stearyl alcohol. They can actually help your hair retain moisture. The ones that are bad if you already have dry hair usually have a “prop” in their name, like Isopropyl alcohol or propanol.

10. Synthetic Fragrances​

Products that have “fragrance” on their label can contain thousands of hidden chemicals. Some ingredients in fragranced cosmetic products can disrupt the reproductive system and cause cancer or asthma. They can also irritate the skin and scalp, which can lead to hair loss.

11. Synthetic Colors​

Most shampoos and conditioners are dyed with a synthetic color to make them look nice. These colors come from petroleum or coal-tar sources, all of which come with harmful health effects. Synthetic colors will normally go by FD&C or D&C combined with a number.

12. Dimethicone​

Dimethicone is a type of silicone that is used in a ton of hair products and contributes to product buildup that makes your hair feel greasy. Since it acts as a protecting cover on the surface of the hair, it stops moisture and nutrients from coming in and instead collects dirt and residue. It can clog the pores on the scalp and cause skin irritation.

13. Cocamidopropyl Betaine​

Cocamidopropyl betaine is another foam booster. Although it’s derived from coconut oil, it can have negative effects. This surfactant is used in hair products along with dimethylaminopropylamine, which can cause skin irritation, allergies, rosacea, and eczema.

14. Triclosan​

Triclosan was banned from being used in antibacterial soaps in 2016 but is still allowed in toothpaste, shampoos, and deodorants. It’s a chemical antibacterial agent known to cause hormone disruptions, which can lead to cancer and affect fetal development, among other things.

15. Retinyl Palmitate​

Retinyl palmitate is the ester of retinol combined with palmitic acid. It’s a known skin irritant that can cause peeling, scaling, redness, and itching. Side effects of retinyl palmitate may include cancer, reproductive problems, and organ toxicity.

16.Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer is a synthetic copolymer found in everything from moisturizing cream to body butter. It contains benzene (a known carcinogen) and despite legal limitations on this, research has found levels to reach over and above the 0.5% safety threshold. In one study, this ingredient had been linked to “lung inflammation, hyperplasia and tumor growth” in rats.

17.Pentylene glycol:-recent studies have been published showing Pentylene Glycol to be an irritant that causes contact dermatitis, suggesting this skin care product ingredient could be an emerging allergen. "It has properties that are similar to a known allergen--propylene glycol--although it is considered by some to be less irritating or allergenic." In a case in Belgium published in Contact Dermatitis, a patient developed facial and eyelid dermatitis; in two cases in Cleveland, patients developed hand and body dermatitis, all after using topical creams containing Pentylene Glycol.

18.Pottasium sorbate:- toxic to liver and organ system

Now after all that,
Is there any shampoo that doesnt use these products? I tried to find and the answer is

None. Not a single one doesnt contain multiple un hair safe product

SO HOW DO I USE AND RINSE AND CLEAN AND HSHSHH???

Dont worry here are 4 things that is needed to make a shampoo
Sulfactant,co sulfactant,preservative and solvent

Sulfactant:-
Lauryl glucoside is considered quite safe for your skin as it is a very mild surfactant, that poses little or no risk of irritation. In fact that is why it is included in skin care products meant to be used for sensitive skin.

A number of agencies such as the Safe Cosmetics Database [1], GoodGuide database, EcoCert and the Organic Food Federation consider lauryl glucoside as a safe ingredient. It is even included in the CIR list of safe ingredients for cosmetics.

10 to 20% lauryl glucoside can be used in facial cleansers while 15 to 30% in shampoos and body washes. A maximum of 40% of lauryl glucoside is permitted for use in any product

Co surfactant:- Coco glucoside
The Duhring Chamber Test assesses skin reactions to irritants and allergens using chambers which confine the test substance to the site of application instead of conventional patch tests. Because the concentration and volume do not change appreciably, the method allows for clearer, more reliable results. In these tests, coco glucoside was found to have the lowest irritation score of all common surfactants.

15-30% for hair products

Preservative:- Zinc pyrithione

The European Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) has expressed its opinion (March 2020) regarding the safety of Zinc Pyrithione (ZPT) in cosmetic products. The SCCS concluded that Zinc Pyrithione was “safe when used as an anti-dandruff in rinse-off hair products up to a maximum concentration of 1%”.

Solvent:- Purified water

Ratio to create:-
deionized water73-90%
primary surfactant8-15% activefoam/lather
secondary surfactant2-6% activefoam boosting/ thickening/mildness improvement
salt0-2%thickening
preservatives.001-1%

@enchanted_elixir
@RabidRosaries
@8PSLcel
@Xangsane
@curlyheadjames
@fucclife
@BugeyeBigNoseCurry
@Chadeep

Attachments

• 1662815775307.png
    1662815775307.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1662815775125.png
    1662815775125.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 0
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Detective, Prettyboy, GalacticHero and 4 others
Tag your balding bois

high quality thread.

• +1
Reactions: Aypo129 and Deleted member 15827
ShamPOO isn't needed. My hair has never been higher quality since I stopped putting chemicals in my hair.

• +1
  • JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: Marsiere214, Deleted member 18325, enchanted_elixir and 2 others
ShamPOO isn't needed. My hair has never been higher quality since I stopped putting chemicals in my hair.
I needed it so i am giving info to those who may need

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 17791
I needed it so i am giving info to those who may need
Why did you need it?

When I used shampoo, it would fuck up my hair and make it overly dry, I only ever just wash my hair with water now, it's so much better. Much less curly too.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: enchanted_elixir, Stopping@Nothing19 and Aypo129
Why did you need it?

When I used shampoo, it would fuck up my hair and make it overly dry, I only ever just wash my hair with water now, it's so much better. Much less curly too.
I know that feel bro damn

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Stopping@Nothing19
Don't be sad. I'm happy with my hair now.

Well, how is your hair?
I had temporal shedding recently after losing wiegjt but now its in good shape and condition
But i have white hair causing genes

• So Sad
I had temporal shedding recently after losing wiegjt but now its in good shape and condition
But i have white hair causing genes
You fixed your balding by changing shampoo use?

I'm scared of losing hair tbh.

I probably have early greying genetics, my dad went white during his 20s

You fixed your balding by changing shampoo use?

I'm scared of losing hair tbh.

I probably have early greying genetics, my dad went white during his 20s
It wasnt balding tbh
It is telogen efflivium
But great shampoo reduces hair fall to high degree due to Very less amounts of scalp irritation

• Woah
It wasnt balding tbh
It is telogen efflivium
But great shampoo reduces hair fall to high degree due to Very less amounts of scalp irritation
How long is your hair? Mine easily goes down to my eyes.

How long is your hair? Mine easily goes down to my eyes.
I went to a barber and my mom recommended to get my hair butchered :lul:

• So Sad
But do you use any hair styling products like hair spray, wax, sea salt spray etc?

Because I doubt that you can wash these off without shampoo

• Hmm...
Anyone has tried apple cider vinegar?

I heard it does wonders?

I've tried nopoo for months but it didn't do shit for me.

• Woah
But do you use any hair styling products like hair spray, wax, sea salt spray etc?

Because I doubt that you can wash these off without shampoo
No, never. I'm all natural with my hair.

I went to a barber and my mom recommended to get my hair butchered :lul:
So you have a shitty fade right now? Over

I heard it does wonders?

Last edited:

I heard it does wonders?

If you don't shower a lot with no shampoo, it can get very greasy if your hair is long.

This companies shampoo pucks seem to not have any shitty ingredients that u listed
https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/collections/shampoo
Are they good?
I have not listed every single bad ingridients present in shampoo to T but common ones
These shampoo contain
Propelyne glycol(worst compounds for skin and hair)
Glycerin(unneccasary)
Fragrance(bad)
Polyquaternium 7 ingredient it’s a derivative of acrylamide, which is a carcinogen and known to cause reproductive harm.

Although it has good replacement for salt called sodium stearate

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: capybara

One of the most important hair care products is a shampoo use to clean your hair​

Shampoo is generally made by combining a surfactant, most often sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate, with a co-surfactant, most often cocamidopropyl betaine in water to form a thick, viscous liquid. Other essential ingredients include salt (sodium chloride), which is used to adjust the viscosity, a preservative and fragrance.[22][23]

ZDFiN2JiOWQtOWY0YS00ZDZhLWFiMDktMTE1YjYwMGU4NTJh_-

Did you know that your shampoo can contain ingredients harmful to both you and the environment? Chief among them: Sulfates. But what exactly are sulfates, and what other problematic shampoo ingredients should you avoid?
Instead of harmful shampoo brands to avoid, i have made a list of 17 common and not-so-nice shampoo ingredients to watch out for — and why. What are the main ingredients of shampoo to skip? Read on to find out.

1. Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)​

What are sulfates? Sulfates are very strong detergents that work through a chemical reaction, in which they bind with the sebum on our scalp and with water. When you rinse out the shampoo, sulfates take all the oils and residue with them. But while cleansing, they can also damage the hair, make it brittle, and increase frizz.

2. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)​

This sulfate creates a lathering foam some people love, but it can compromise follicles when left on the scalp and it has other toxic effects on the human body. Yikes! Anyone with color-treated hair or dry hair should definitely avoid SLS, as it can fade your color and strip your strands of natural oils.

3. Parabens​

Parabens are also known to be harmful. They are used as a preservative to prevent bacteria from growing in cosmetics and shampoos. Parabens can mimic the hormone estrogen and have been linked to increased growth of breast cancer cells.

4. Sodium Chloride​

Sodium chloride is another name for salt. Sodium chloride in shampoo and conditioner is mainly there to make the consistency thicker. Salt can make an already-sensitive scalp dry and itchy, which can eventually cause hair loss.

5. Polyethylene Glycols (PEG)​

PEG is a thickening agent derived from petroleum that is often contaminated with byproducts. There has not been sufficient research done to conclude that PEGs themselves are as toxic as shampoo ingredients, but common byproducts in PEGs can be harmful.

6+7. Diethanolamine (DEA) and Triethanolamine (TEA)​

DEA and TEA are also emulsifiers and foam agents that reduce surface tension so water-soluble and oil-soluble ingredients can blend together. In 1998, researchers found a link between the topical application of DEA and cancer in animals, but the effects on humans are unclear. The European Commission has banned DEA in cosmetics.

8. Formaldehyde​

Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen and has been proven to be absorbed through the skin in animal testing. Manufacturers often add it to products directly as a preservative, but it can also be released over time through a chemical process from other types of preservatives. If you’re wondering what to look for, a common one in shampoos is quaternium-15. They can also be found in chemicals used for Brazilian blowouts at hair salons.

9. Alcohol​

Most alcohols have a drying effect, and the higher up in the ingredients list they appear, the more alcohols the product contains. Some alcohols that are not as bad for dry hair begin with a “C” or an “S,” like Cetearyl alcohol and Stearyl alcohol. They can actually help your hair retain moisture. The ones that are bad if you already have dry hair usually have a “prop” in their name, like Isopropyl alcohol or propanol.

10. Synthetic Fragrances​

Products that have “fragrance” on their label can contain thousands of hidden chemicals. Some ingredients in fragranced cosmetic products can disrupt the reproductive system and cause cancer or asthma. They can also irritate the skin and scalp, which can lead to hair loss.

11. Synthetic Colors​

Most shampoos and conditioners are dyed with a synthetic color to make them look nice. These colors come from petroleum or coal-tar sources, all of which come with harmful health effects. Synthetic colors will normally go by FD&C or D&C combined with a number.

12. Dimethicone​

Dimethicone is a type of silicone that is used in a ton of hair products and contributes to product buildup that makes your hair feel greasy. Since it acts as a protecting cover on the surface of the hair, it stops moisture and nutrients from coming in and instead collects dirt and residue. It can clog the pores on the scalp and cause skin irritation.

13. Cocamidopropyl Betaine​

Cocamidopropyl betaine is another foam booster. Although it’s derived from coconut oil, it can have negative effects. This surfactant is used in hair products along with dimethylaminopropylamine, which can cause skin irritation, allergies, rosacea, and eczema.

14. Triclosan​

Triclosan was banned from being used in antibacterial soaps in 2016 but is still allowed in toothpaste, shampoos, and deodorants. It’s a chemical antibacterial agent known to cause hormone disruptions, which can lead to cancer and affect fetal development, among other things.

15. Retinyl Palmitate​

Retinyl palmitate is the ester of retinol combined with palmitic acid. It’s a known skin irritant that can cause peeling, scaling, redness, and itching. Side effects of retinyl palmitate may include cancer, reproductive problems, and organ toxicity.

16.Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer is a synthetic copolymer found in everything from moisturizing cream to body butter. It contains benzene (a known carcinogen) and despite legal limitations on this, research has found levels to reach over and above the 0.5% safety threshold. In one study, this ingredient had been linked to “lung inflammation, hyperplasia and tumor growth” in rats.

17.Pentylene glycol:-recent studies have been published showing Pentylene Glycol to be an irritant that causes contact dermatitis, suggesting this skin care product ingredient could be an emerging allergen. "It has properties that are similar to a known allergen--propylene glycol--although it is considered by some to be less irritating or allergenic." In a case in Belgium published in Contact Dermatitis, a patient developed facial and eyelid dermatitis; in two cases in Cleveland, patients developed hand and body dermatitis, all after using topical creams containing Pentylene Glycol.

18.Pottasium sorbate:- toxic to liver and organ system

Now after all that,
Is there any shampoo that doesnt use these products? I tried to find and the answer is

None. Not a single one doesnt contain multiple un hair safe product

SO HOW DO I USE AND RINSE AND CLEAN AND HSHSHH???

Dont worry here are 4 things that is needed to make a shampoo
Sulfactant,co sulfactant,preservative and solvent

Sulfactant:-
Lauryl glucoside is considered quite safe for your skin as it is a very mild surfactant, that poses little or no risk of irritation. In fact that is why it is included in skin care products meant to be used for sensitive skin.

A number of agencies such as the Safe Cosmetics Database [1], GoodGuide database, EcoCert and the Organic Food Federation consider lauryl glucoside as a safe ingredient. It is even included in the CIR list of safe ingredients for cosmetics.

10 to 20% lauryl glucoside can be used in facial cleansers while 15 to 30% in shampoos and body washes. A maximum of 40% of lauryl glucoside is permitted for use in any product

Co surfactant:- Coco glucoside
The Duhring Chamber Test assesses skin reactions to irritants and allergens using chambers which confine the test substance to the site of application instead of conventional patch tests. Because the concentration and volume do not change appreciably, the method allows for clearer, more reliable results. In these tests, coco glucoside was found to have the lowest irritation score of all common surfactants.

15-30% for hair products

Preservative:- Zinc pyrithione

The European Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) has expressed its opinion (March 2020) regarding the safety of Zinc Pyrithione (ZPT) in cosmetic products. The SCCS concluded that Zinc Pyrithione was “safe when used as an anti-dandruff in rinse-off hair products up to a maximum concentration of 1%”.

Solvent:- Purified water

Ratio to create:-
deionized water73-90%
primary surfactant8-15% activefoam/lather
secondary surfactant2-6% activefoam boosting/ thickening/mildness improvement
salt0-2%thickening
preservatives.001-1%

@enchanted_elixir
@RabidRosaries
@8PSLcel
@Xangsane
@curlyheadjames