Do people with anterior open bites have shorter midfaces?

mvp2v1

mvp2v1

Show me your bones & I will show you ur destiny
People with deep bites tend to have longer midfaces according to some sources. Certainly is the case with me and some others I have seen. This is because the maxilla is excessively CW rotated. I was thinking perhaps anterior open bites are the opposite of deep bites and if that were true I would expect them to have shorter midfaces. Anyone know if this is true?

• +1
Reactions: Eiei
I found this from google AI:
"
According to a study, children with anterior
open bite
(AOB) who have a short face have a more severe AOB. A long face type is often associated with AOB, which is characterized by an increased lower anterior facial height. Other characteristics of an AOB include an increased gonial angle and an increased
maxillary
mandibular
plane angle.
"

So I have been looking over a bunch of moderate to severe anterior open bites, and my own personal evaluation is that they tend to have a shorter distance from the eye to the *top* of the philtrum (bottom-most edge of nose). Im not doing a technical analysis though so take this with a grain of salt.

They all tend to have long philtrums the more severe the open bite, which makes the usual midface measurement less useful in analyzing my question. (question: Can anterior open bites be vaguely considered as the opposite of a deep bite (which could vaguely be considered a posterior open bite))

Okay, so my conclusion is that indeed anterior open bites can be considered the opposite of a deep bite. Anterior open bites lead to shorter midfaces when measuring from the eyes to the top of the philtrum (end of nose).
Deep bites display an increased distance from the eyes to the top of the philtrum.

@RealSurgerymax you may find this observation interesting

Last edited:
Okay, so my conclusion is that indeed anterior open bites can be considered the opposite of a deep bite. Anterior open bites lead to shorter midfaces when measuring from the eyes to the top of the philtrum (end of nose).

@RealSurgerymax you may find this observation interesting
there are a lot of possible combinations of growth patterns so I don't think this generalization matters but deep bits make shorter anterior faces and anterior open bites make longer anterior faces in principle.

• +1
Reactions: Clavicular and caiolindo
kind of true, my bimax is reducing my philtrum length a bit and bottom of nose up a tiny bit

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1
there are a lot of possible combinations of growth patterns so I don't think this generalization matters but deep bits make shorter anterior faces and anterior open bites make longer anterior faces in principle.
I agree when measuring from eyes to the end of face, but when the end point measurement is the end of the nose and start of philtrum we find the opposite where deep bites are longer and open bites are shorter.

So to be clear:

Deep bites have shorter faces but longer midfaces, and anterior open bites have longer faces but "shorter midfaces" (in quotes bc anterior open bites have elongated philtrum which means we must measure the midface from the eyes to the top of philtrum)

Last edited:
Another question I have here is if perhaps the posterior maxilla may be more attractive in deep bites then in AOBs. Ill have to check this tomarrow.

Another question I have here is if perhaps the posterior maxilla may be more attractive in deep bites then in AOBs. Ill have to check this tomarrow.
Some more interesting thoughts on these dystrophies:

As these 2 are opposites we also find that in the posterior region of the maxilla/palate, we have an over-eruption of sorts in the back in the case of AOBs and under-eruption for deep bites. In the front of course we have over-erruption (overlap) of the incisors in deep bites and under-erruption of the incisors in open bites.

This is also why we see that deep bites lead to shorter faces and AOBs lead to longer faces.

My research on this has made me revisit this thread:

When I had first seen this thread I thought it was nothing special. Maybe just tooth intrusion and thats it.

But after my research from this thread I actually think applying anterior forces to try and create AOB's is legit for anyone with sub chad midface ratios. After this your left with your lack of forward growth which is a quite a bit easier to solve then cw maxilla. (And possibly your fucked up maxilla-mandible alignment (which is easy to fix))

If any MSE cell has a shit midface and tries this lmk

For this idea I had 2 data points that allow me to have a hunch:

First is my own case as compared to my brothers. My brother has normal occlusion with a mild overbite but very vertically grown face. His orbitals and cheekbones are both very low. On the other hand there is me, with a deep bite and posterior open bite. I have notably higher cheekbones then him and more attractive orbitals/eyes.

This is further backed up by this description of posterior open bites by Mike Mew who describes those with POBs as being more attractive:

Obviously not strong evidence at all but its enough for me to place my bets.

Why would this be the case?
I think for some reason whatever was the posture or habit that caused the POB also ensured that posterior region would not remodel verticaly. I actualy have a slightly bilateral POB and you can see one side is more attractive than the other:
Screenshot 2024 03 02 at 11600AM

Notice how one half of my face is more vertically remodeled.

Last edited:
I think the cause of an AOB is tongue support in the anterior region and none in the posterior region. So you end up with a shitty posterior maxilla and an attractive anterior maxilla. I know this sound counterintuitive given how shit a severe AOB looks like in the anterior region. But really it only looks shit due to the unfavorable displacement of soft tissues from a bad posterior maxilla (and a lack of forward and lateral growth).

Id say its the other way around

The only guy I know with a deep bite has a short midface and the only guy i know with an open bite has a long one

The only guy I know with a deep bite has a short midface and the only guy i know with an open bite has a long one
you need to measure midface length to the base of nose not lips. As for deep bites its well known that deep bites have longer midfaces. You can see mike mew talk about it here:

And I thought there was some study looking at this but i cant find it. Your friend may not have a deep bite.

Another interesting data point:

Won moon seems to consider them opposites (found on his insta)
Screenshot 2024 03 02 at 40459PM

Its not clear, however it seems he is bringing the posterior palate up for open bites and the posterior palate down for deep bites, which at leased makes sense from a surface level. it would require an actual in depth look into both these facial deformation patterns to really know.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Bitchwhipper2
Another question i have here is if the posterior palate is lower than the anterior palate in AOBs, this may reveal some interesting things about the nature of craniofacial dystrophy.

How can ppl with deep bite have longer midfaces on avarage when they have a lack of anteriorfacial height? And Mike Mew explaination of orthotropics perspective doesnt make sense bc all of patients with deep bites lack maxillary anterior height so when they smile their teeth barely showing how can u move the maxilla up and forward when it soposed to be downgrafted and moved forward huh?

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: gooner888 and mvp2v1
muh orthotropics muh anterior nasial spine moves upwards jfl at this low iq theory "longer midface bc maxilla excessively cw rotationed" fucking caging at this shit when all deep bite ppl have literally overly flat occlusional plane

Alright i went through deep bite threads and saw data ok u are right but my midface ratio is 1,016:1 and my nose isnt long jfl so idk may be iam exception 🤔

• +1
But after my research from this thread I actually think applying anterior forces to try and create AOB's is legit for anyone with sub chad midface ratios. After this your left with your lack of forward growth which is a quite a bit easier to solve then cw maxilla. (And possibly your fucked up maxilla-mandible alignment (which is easy to fix))

is mse really necessary ?

If I have a deep bite and I mouthbreathe to get an anterior open bite will it balance it out and give me a normal bite?

• JFL
Reactions: iam good boy and mvp2v1
is mse really necessary ?
No, but it seems to make getting change easier. alternatively I could do NCR. But really u don’t need either. They just make things faster it seems

Alright i went through deep bite threads and saw data ok u are right but my midface ratio is 1,016:1 and my nose isnt long jfl so idk may be iam exception 🤔
if u want to send me a pic of your front profile that may be interesting.

No, but it seems to make getting change easier. alternatively I could do NCR. But really u don’t need either. They just make things faster it seems
lets chat in private

• +1
If I have a deep bite and I mouthbreathe to get an anterior open bite will it balance it out and give me a normal bite?
No mouthbreathing is not how u get an anterior open bite. For it you would have to place your tongue between your front incisors. I wouldn’t suggest trying to cause a AOB this way though. Instead just do anterior chewing and anterior clenching.

if u want to send me a pic of your front profile that may be interesting.
No but the guy on my profile picture has class 2 division 2 malocclusion aka deep overbite with strong chin
In pics of him i measured his midface very close to 1:1
Screenshot 20240327 010303 ImageMeter
Tumblr l 346139590737538

Last edited:
  • +1
No but the guy on my profile picture has class 2 division 2 malocclusion aka deep overbite with strong chin
In pics of him i measured his midface very close to 1:1
View attachment 2821435View attachment 2821439
He is looking up in that pic both actualy. Common posture for deepbite cels. Ideal would be if the eyebrows are inline with the top of ears that’s solid posture. Also midface length is an imperfect measure of deep bite. There is variance for many reasons. And deep bite individuals do tend to have stronger chins than would usually be the case for such verticaly grown maxilla’s.

"
Anterior resorbed/moved up, posterior therefore deposited/moved down= CCW, can lead to open bite

Posterior resorbed/moved up, anterior therefore deposited/moved down= CW, can lead to deep bite
"

Interesting

I feel like im getting to a point of understanding deep bite that I could create a model showing the morphological change that starts with improper forces in and around the jaws/oral complex that ends in the deep bite phenotype of cfd.

Simply put: back of the maxilla goes up, front falls down and back.

So for example there are many deep bite fixes:

Extruding teeth: alone this is incorrect
intruding incisors: Alone this is incorrect
Repositioning jaws: Alone this is incorrect.

there are many ways one might approach fixing deep bite, but it appears to me that the best solution at least from a remodeling perspective is the classic J Mew approach of throwing the incisors out and forward creating an anterior open bite of sorts. etc
Surgically I suspect it would involve an anterior cut to the maxilla (forget the name of the surgery). Obv you would need at least a lf1 +bsso etc to go with it.

something is wrong with his occlusion it appears but I cant really make a good assessment based on a shitty gif. I would need solid frontal and side pictures as well as good pictures of his occlusion. Otherwise I'm just guessing

looks like a deep bite, do you have any other pics of his occlusion? whats his name?
Mads mikkelsen
Yeah he has is curve of spee in exessive
Look at lower front teeth
Screenshot 20240203 200722 TikTok

• +1
People with deep bites tend to have longer midfaces according to some sources. Certainly is the case with me and some others I have seen. This is because the maxilla is excessively CW rotated. I was thinking perhaps anterior open bites are the opposite of deep bites and if that were true I would expect them to have shorter midfaces. Anyone know if this is true?
How to fix

My research on this has made me revisit this thread:

When I had first seen this thread I thought it was nothing special. Maybe just tooth intrusion and thats it.

So how would we do this? A splint over the front teeth? A Mouthgaurd cut in half over just the front teeth? And then the molars erupt?

• +1
So how would we do this? A splint over the front teeth? A Mouthgaurd cut in half over just the front teeth? And then the molars erupt?
yes those are good ways. I have also experimented with using one of those jawtrainers and pulsating upwards on upper incisors. This is not a good method, I only do it due to issues with my lower incisors which make anterior chewing more difficult for me.

You want to anterior chew for as long as possible.

yes those are good ways. I have also experimented with using one of those jawtrainers and pulsating upwards on upper incisors. This is not a good method, I only do it due to issues with my lower incisors which make anterior chewing more difficult for me.

You want to anterior chew for as long as possible.
Idk if intruding the front teeth is good, because the philtrum will have extra skin etc. but extruding molars and back teeth is good

You know what’s funny is that starecta thing, people complaining it’s making their face longer. Well it’s placed on the molars lmao. I imagine if it was placed on the front teeth instead it would do the opposite

• +1
Idk if intruding the front teeth is good
Depends on the case. Some cases the soft tissues of the lips and philtrum are being stretched and decompressing would improve the lips and philtrum.
people complaining it’s making their face longer
Could u link examples of this? Does it extrude the teeth or just cause a posterior open bite?