Do you start off with your max weight in the gym?

D

Deleted member 29883

Iron
Like if you want to do 4 sets of bench press, do you start off with the maximum you can for 10 or whatever reps or do you build your way up with each set?

@Arborist

Like if you want to do 4 sets of bench press, do you start off with the maximum you can for 10 or whatever reps or do you build your way up with each set?
Greycell moment

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 29883
wtf is that question

• So Sad
Like if you want to do 4 sets of bench press, do you start off with the maximum you can for 10 or whatever reps or do you build up
I typically ramp up weight with a few warm up sets on main compounds. They're just to warm up, though, not even close to being exhausting. My last warm up set is like 90% of my working weight and I just do one rep. For accessory work I will start with working weight and ramp up reps for like 2 sets.

• +1
I typically ramp up weight with a few warm up sets on main compounds. They're just to warm up, though, not even close to being exhausting. My last warm up set is like 90% of my working weight and I just do one rep. For accessory work I will start with working weight and ramp up reps for like 2 sets.
so for bench press how many sets would you do altogether, including warmups?

so for bench press how many sets would you do altogether, including warmups?
I do 3 warm ups and 3 working sets. But I also don't bench first. If it were my first lift, I might do 4 sets and some sort of general warm up beforehand.

• +1
I do 3 warm ups and 3 working sets. But I also don't bench first. If it were my first lift, I might do 4 sets and some sort of general warm up beforehand.
thanks. And do you do 3 exercises per muscle group?

I warm up with the bar, use the highest weight I can do for 10-20 reps, and lose reps throughout the work out while maintaining the same weight.

• +1
thanks. And do you do 3 exercises per muscle group?
No. I only do flat barbell bench and inclined dumbbell press. It works out to 9 working sets per week. But I'm also not working out just for aesthetics. For lower body I only do one working set of deadlifts per week. For shoulders I might do a little extra.

Although since both vertical pull and horizontal pull count as back or lats, I do 3 exercises - barbell row, dumbell row, and neutral grip chins - which is 12-15 sets per week. I do more back training because I'm into rock climbing, which is my priority over aesthetics/barbell strength.

• +1
I warm up with the bar, use the highest weight I can do for 10-20 reps, and lose reps throughout the work out while maintaining the same weight.
What is your BW?

I don't understand. So if you can bench press 100kg, do you start with e.g 80kg and then add weight or do you just do 4 sets of 100kg?
Try 5x5 system...its good for gaining strenght
If your one one rep PR is 100 kg...you start with 60% of that weight and do 5x5(in this case that would be 60kg).
Next time you do bench...you increase weight to 62.5kg and do 5x5....than next workout to 65 and do 5x5...and so on...
Every workout you increase weight on bar by 2.5 kg

• +1
You warm up with lighter weights so you don't injure yourself

• +1