Engineering, Math or CS/MIS

D

Deleted member 11126

Kraken
Stuck between these degrees leaning towards Engineering or Math. It seems like a lot of Engineer majors already end up in CS but CS majors don't get engineering jobs. They already learn coding on the side to aid them with their jobs so if they want they can end up in the same place as a software engineer.

CS seems a lot less hot now especially outside of coding. So much surplus of mediocre tech people its not well respected like it used to. Even engineers and math majors who applied to jobs outside their field were hired a lot more since its a very good IQ/work ethic test.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 23115, BrahminBoss and poopoohead
I personally know few people who did masters in CS in the US and within 4-5 YOE earn 250k per year annually. I still would say CS.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 14392, Respalier, Deprived and 3 others
Computer Engineering Or Electrical Engineering is already very tech heavy so you could work a physical in person type job consulting for an engineering firm or you could get into a tech firm.

Math is pretty broad and I think you would still get your foot in the door in tech. I also just find it more interesting

• +1
Reactions: poopoohead
I personally know few people who did masters in CS in the US and within 4-5 YOE earn 250k per year annually. I still would say CS.
Yeah but how long ago was this. 2018-2022 was the peak of the tech bubble its popped right now. Tech is by no means over but it would be like being a realastate agent in 2008.

250 k inr maybe

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, jojoyou and Deleted member 11126
250 k inr maybe
Yeah I mean CS will still be a good major for a while. I just don't think it will be what it once was. I think it won't surpass any of the more traditional engineering majors it will become a more regular job in the future. Sort of like how in the 90s everyone had IT certs and just taking a 6 months IT course could get you a 70K a year job that was because literally zero people knew how to use computers and they were more complex. Nowadays the tech is simpler and more people know how to do it.

But IT jobs do still exist just they are never going to be the same it became another skill like plumbing once the tech became more understood they made it easier to use and so it became a less high income skill beyond really specialized people. But you used to be able to get certs in 3 months that could get you 70K a year jobs thats just never coming back

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: BrahminBoss
Yeah I mean CS will still be a good major for a while. I just don't think it will be what it once was. I think it won't surpass any of the more traditional engineering majors it will become a more regular job in the future. Sort of like how in the 90s everyone had IT certs and just taking a 6 months IT course could get you a 70K a year job that was because literally zero people knew how to use computers and they were more complex. Nowadays the tech is simpler and more people know how to do it.
In 2000-2006 nobody was hiring cs after the .com crash

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126
if in europe avoid cs

• Hmm...
In 2000-2006 nobody was hiring cs after the .com crash
Yeah it made a comeback though with the second wave of big tech companies. The social media/phone revolution occurred in the 2010's Facebook Twitter Reddit. But that sorta has come to an end maybe AI will be the next one idk.

I was stuck between this, thought computer engineering but I have no interest in working with components and electrical shit so now I’m sitting here fucked cuz I’m half way thru it , if ur not interested in that type of shit don’t do it or you’ll be miserable af, if u like programming do CS. Do what u like so u don’t drop out and learn something u can leverage in life

Don’t look at it as how much u can make from the degree working a job

Last edited:
what is engineering math?
engineers get cs jobs bc there are way more of them and they pay more. also only computer engineers and maybe some electrical engineers get software jobs not civil or mechanical engineers

• +1
what is engineering math?
engineers get cs jobs bc there are way more of them and they pay more. also only computer engineers and maybe some electrical engineers get software jobs not civil or mechanical engineers
Yeah I would only go EE or CE tbh.

• +1
Reactions: Deprived
Yeah I would only go EE or CE tbh.
CE is prob most versatile and i find it interesting. but engineering courseload seems brutal (i'm taking double majoring in cs and math and do less work than most engineering students)

• Woah
CE is prob most versatile and i find it interesting. but engineering courseload seems brutal (i'm taking double majoring in cs and math and do less work than most engineering students)
I am kinda surprised. How many hours a week do you work?

• +1
I am kinda surprised. How many hours a week do you work?
around 30 hours a week including time spent in lectures. i work around 20 hours a week part time as well

• Woah
around 30 hours a week including time spent in lectures. i work around 20 hours a week part time as well
Thats really not that bad man for a double major. I am surprised it would be that much easier

• +1
As mechanical engineer I’ve been unemployed 3 years and can’t even get a minimum wage job so don’t do that.

Stuck between these degrees leaning towards Engineering or Math. It seems like a lot of Engineer majors already end up in CS but CS majors don't get engineering jobs. They already learn coding on the side to aid them with their jobs so if they want they can end up in the same place as a software engineer.

CS seems a lot less hot now especially outside of coding. So much surplus of mediocre tech people its not well respected like it used to. Even engineers and math majors who applied to jobs outside their field were hired a lot more since its a very good IQ/work ethic test.
If you really wanna ball out for CS then do the bachelors and then a masters in machine learning to get into AI jobs

As mechanical engineer I’ve been unemployed 3 years and can’t even get a minimum wage job so don’t do that.
I always disregard British posters. Your economy is straight trash I would make more money at my amazon job then you would as an Oxford Grad 3rd world country.