face shapes definitions and how to know your face shape

the next o'pry

the next o'pry

MM’s makes MM’s
Alright guys, during these last 9 days I have been attending barbering classes, and we were given homework for Monday which is about visagism, a term barbers use to refer to face shape. So, I was tasked with defining each one, and I've decided to share what I find with yall. Feel free to add more information to my definitions or share your ideas.

diamond vs oval
Oval Face

Forehead: Moderately wide, wider than the jaw but not as wide as the cheekbones.

Cheekbones: The widest part of the face.

Jaw: Slightly rounded and narrower than the cheekbones, but without sharp angles, maintaining the smoothness of the oval contour.

midface: short to slightly longer

General Proportions: The length of the face is slightly greater than the width and softly curved and proportional.

Forehead: Relatively narrow, setting a narrow start that widens towards the cheekbones.

Cheekbones: Extremely prominent and the widest part of the face, giving an angular and highlighted appearance.

Jaw: Also narrow and aligned with the forehead, maintaining the angular contour of the face.

midface: all types of midfaces

General Proportions: Central width (cheekbones) that reduces towards a narrow forehead and jaw, creating a diamond or rhomboid shape.

The cheekbones are the widest part of the face in both, but in the diamond face, the cheekbone is higher and tends to give greater definition. The forehead and jaw are narrower in these two face types, but the oval face does not have angles as marked as the diamond face. The reason I chose these two is that I consider them similar to a certain extent, and you might have a face that falls between these two types.

square vs rectangular

Square Face

Forehead: Wide and often as extensive as the jaw, providing a robust appearance.

Cheekbones: Normally aligned in width with the forehead and jaw, not particularly more pronounced, maintaining a square contour.

Jaw: Strong and angular, with clear definition matching the width of the forehead.

midface: tends to be short to slithgtly longer midface

General Proportions: The length and width of the face are proportionally similar, creating a square and angular profile.

Rectangular (or Oblong) Face

Forehead: Wide, similar in proportion to the jaw, but with a facial length that extends beyond common square shapes aka the forehead height is tall.

Cheekbones: Not very prominent, aligned in width with the forehead and jaw, maintaining the uniformity of the rectangular contour.

Jaw: Straight and elongated, parallel to the forehead.

midface: slightly longer to long midface

General Proportions: The length of the face is significantly greater than its width, giving a more vertical and stretched profile.

Heart-Shaped Face

Forehead: Wide and often the most prominent feature, setting up the expansive upper part of the "heart."

Cheekbones: Well-defined and slightly narrower than the forehead, helping to emphasize the transition to a narrower jaw.

Jaw: Narrow and pointed, much thinner than the forehead, forming the "point" of the heart.

midface: all type of midfaces

General Proportions: Tapers from a wide forehead to a narrow chin, creating a distinctive heart shape.

I'm not going to bother with the round face description; everything is round and lacks angularity. I would say it's good for females but less favorable for males, most of the time due to recession problems and being overweight

my facial shape ranking is
1 oval
2 diamond
3 square
4 rectangle
5 heart
6 round

Probably next week in my barber school, they will teach us how to style hair and what works best based on your face shape, so I'm looking forward to a future thread about that.

Attachments

• 1713482516989.png
    1713482516989.png
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • +1
  • WTF
Reactions: AlbinoMaxxer, ErbCel, liberiangrimreaper and 8 others
I will kill myself If I see more water

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: kiyopon, BrahminBoss and the next o'pry
Alright guys, during these last 9 days I have been attending barbering classes, and we were given homework for Monday which is about visagism, a term barbers use to refer to face shape. So, I was tasked with defining each one, and I've decided to share what I find with yall. Feel free to add more information to my definitions or share your ideas.

diamond vs oval
Oval Face

Forehead: Moderately wide, wider than the jaw but not as wide as the cheekbones.

Jaw: Slightly rounded and narrower than the cheekbones, but without sharp angles, maintaining the smoothness of the oval contour.

General Proportions: The length of the face is slightly greater than the width and softly curved and proportional.
View attachment 2867099
View attachment 2867152

Forehead: Relatively narrow, setting a narrow start that widens towards the cheekbones.

Cheekbones: Extremely prominent and the widest part of the face, giving an angular and highlighted appearance.

Jaw: Also narrow and aligned with the forehead, maintaining the angular contour of the face.

General Proportions: Central width (cheekbones) that reduces towards a narrow forehead and jaw, creating a diamond or rhomboid shape.

View attachment 2867104View attachment 2867138
View attachment 2867150

The cheekbones are the widest part of the face in both, but in the diamond face, the cheekbone is higher and tends to give greater definition. The forehead and jaw are narrower in these two face types, but the oval face does not have angles as marked as the diamond face. The reason I chose these two is that I consider them similar to a certain extent, and you might have a face that falls between these two types.

square vs rectangular

Square Face

Forehead: Wide and often as extensive as the jaw, providing a robust appearance.

Cheekbones: Normally aligned in width with the forehead and jaw, not particularly more pronounced, maintaining a square contour.

Jaw: Strong and angular, with clear definition matching the width of the forehead.

General Proportions: The length and width of the face are proportionally similar, creating a square and angular profile.
View attachment 2867139

View attachment 2867140

Forehead: Wide, similar in proportion to the jaw, but with a facial length that extends beyond common square shapes aka the forehead height is tall.

Cheekbones: Not very prominent, aligned in width with the forehead and jaw, maintaining the uniformity of the rectangular contour.

General Proportions: The length of the face is significantly greater than its width, giving a more vertical and stretched profile.

View attachment 2867157

View attachment 2867162

Heart-Shaped Face

Forehead: Wide and often the most prominent feature, setting up the expansive upper part of the "heart."

Cheekbones: Well-defined and slightly narrower than the forehead, helping to emphasize the transition to a narrower jaw.

Jaw: Narrow and pointed, much thinner than the forehead, forming the "point" of the heart.

General Proportions: Tapers from a wide forehead to a narrow chin, creating a distinctive heart shape.

View attachment 2867164

I'm not going to bother with the round face description; everything is round and lacks angularity. I would say it's good for females but less favorable for males, most of the time due to recession problems and being overweight

1 oval
2 diamond
3 square
4 rectangle
5 heart
6 round

Probably next week in my barber school, they will teach us how to style hair and what works best based on your face shape, so I'm looking forward to a future thread about that.
Most of the Asian “pretty boys” have round faces lol

• +1
Reactions: the next o'pry
good thread bro

• +1
good thread

• +1
Reactions: nathan and the next o'pry
Diamond mogs oval

• +1
Reactions: liberiangrimreaper and piec
Is gandy and salih oval or diamond btw

Nice thread, but the two guys you put in diamond shape don’t have narrow jaws at all

• +1
I will kill myself If I see more water
It’s just a reference for future threads I’ll make
Most of the Asian “pretty boys” have round faces lol
good point i just forgot about them, thanks mate.
Diamond mogs oval
i would say its more common to find oval face than diamond faces so thats why it can be more appealing
Nice thread, but the two guys you put in diamond shape don’t have narrow jaws at all
true but i meant that they have narrow jaw in terms of width when you compare them to the cheekbones width of the dimond face.

• +1
Reactions: vamptriad

diamond vs oval
Oval Face

View attachment 2867099
View attachment 2867152

View attachment 2867104View attachment 2867138
View attachment 2867150

square vs rectangular

Square Face

View attachment 2867139

View attachment 2867140

View attachment 2867157

View attachment 2867162

Heart-Shaped Face

View attachment 2867164

1 oval
2 diamond
3 square
4 rectangle
5 heart
6 round

water (jk good thread)

• +1
Good thread except I wouldnt say that's what most ppl consider an oval face shape

Imo oval is just a rectangle but with a narrower and rounder jaw, coupled with a higher GA and a 'rounded' chin, to create the ellipse shape. Plus the narrower forehead, ofc

In that sense, Chico and Efron both have diamond tbh, just softer versions of it

• +1