Game Development-Maxxing: Need Ideas and Collaborators

Spiritualcell

Spiritualcell

Very spiritual
I'm currently developing a horror game using Unreal Engine 5, and I'm exploring the possibility of starting a new project. I've been working solo on my current game for about a year, but it's taking longer than anticipated – I'm expecting at least another three months of development.

Given the success of short (30 min-2 hours) first-person horror games on Steam, particularly those priced lower, I'm considering developing a similar game. The development timeline for this new project would be about a month, largely utilizing marketplace assets to expedite the process. I have access to a vast array of these assets, which opens up a lot of creative possibilities.

I'm making this thread for two main reasons:

1. Collaboration Opportunities: While I am skilled in various aspects of game development – including coding (Unreal Engine 5 blueprints), 3D modeling, texturing, animation, and some audio – I believe collaboration could greatly enhance this project. This could be marketing, funding, and social media marketing, but the actual development could benefit from collaboration as well.

2. Game Ideas: I am also open to ideas for this game. If you have a concept that you think would be highly profitable and fits within the short, first-person horror genre, I'd love to hear it.

Here's a video of the horror game I'm working on:

Additionally, I've detailed my current project in a previous thread:
I'm interested in the prospect of making this a group project. Even if you're not sure how you might fit into the development process, feel free to reach out.

Tagging:
@Pikabro
@Psychophilly
@Aloha
@LooksThinker
@SlavicGeneral
@Tylermax
@Sondern
@AngryShane

• +1
  • Love it
  • JFL
Reactions: try2beme, illoan82, Jnumber01 and 4 others
tf

• JFL
Reactions: Spiritualcell
nerd

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: try2beme, bigchunguslover, mogstars and 1 other person
add chico to the game

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: try2beme, StrangerDanger, looksmaxxer14 and 2 others
add radioactive zombies

• Woah
I've lost alot of motivation to practice 3d modeling lately. almost all motivation actually but I still want to work on games

Do you know alpha beta gamer? You should check out his channel. He covers short indie horror games. This kind of thing. The footage looks competently made but bland. Horror is one genre in particular where poor graphical fidelity is actually better. When they remade silent hill 2 and removed the fog that was initially there due to graphical limitations. The game got worse

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: looksmaxxer14, thecel, murdah and 1 other person
I'm currently developing a horror game using Unreal Engine 5, and I'm exploring the possibility of starting a new project. I've been working solo on my current game for about a year, but it's taking longer than anticipated – I'm expecting at least another three months of development.

Given the success of short (30 min-2 hours) first-person horror games on Steam, particularly those priced lower, I'm considering developing a similar game. The development timeline for this new project would be about a month, largely utilizing marketplace assets to expedite the process. I have access to a vast array of these assets, which opens up a lot of creative possibilities.

1. Collaboration Opportunities: While I am skilled in various aspects of game development – including coding (Unreal Engine 5 blueprints), 3D modeling, texturing, animation, and some audio – I believe collaboration could greatly enhance this project. This could be marketing, funding, and social media marketing, but the actual development could benefit from collaboration as well.

2. Game Ideas: I am also open to ideas for this game. If you have a concept that you think would be highly profitable and fits within the short, first-person horror genre, I'd love to hear it.

I'm interested in the prospect of making this a group project. Even if you're not sure how you might fit into the development process, feel free to reach out.

Tagging:
@Pikabro
@Psychophilly
@Aloha
@LooksThinker
@SlavicGeneral
@Tylermax
@Sondern
@AngryShane

Bro took 1 year to remake a worse “BIGFOOT”

Mirin’

• JFL
Reactions: try2beme and Spiritualcell
How do u learn brah I always wanted to make a game

• +1
I've lost alot of motivation to practice 3d modeling lately. almost all motivation actually but I still want to work on games
Could you show me your 3d models?
I'm interested in seeing your work.

Do you know alpha beta gamer? You should check out his channel. He covers short indie horror games. This kind of thing. The footage looks competently made but bland. Horror is one genre in particular where poor graphical fidelity is actually better. When they remade silent hill 2 and removed the fog that was initially there due to graphical limitations. The game got worse
I would say that 'bad' graphics are much less of a hindrance in horror games, but I wouldn't say horror games necessarily benefit from 'poor' graphics. With 'poor' graphics, the game usually needs to have better and more interesting gameplay, whereas with realistic graphics, the graphics can carry the experience.
An example of this would be the game 'September 1999'. It has realistic graphics, and the game consists of 5 minutes of walking around slowly in an apartment. And that's the whole game.
Despite this, it has 2000 reviews on Steam, with 92% of them being positive. It is free, but if it had PS2 graphics, it would likely have a maximum of 100 reviews (I'm using reviews as a substitute for sales, since sales figures aren't public).
Assets with realistic graphics are just as easy to implement as assets with PS2 graphics, and assets with PS2 graphics aren't as saturated on the Unreal Marketplace, which makes it harder to find the assets that I need.

And yes, I've watched videos from channels like Alpha Beta Gamer for probably 10 years now. By doing so, I have gotten a good idea of what sells and what makes a horror game good.

• +1
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 21345
Could you show me your 3d models?
I'm interested in seeing your work.

I would say that 'bad' graphics are much less of a hindrance in horror games, but I wouldn't say horror games necessarily benefit from 'poor' graphics. With 'poor' graphics, the game usually needs to have better and more interesting gameplay, whereas with realistic graphics, the graphics can carry the experience.
An example of this would be the game 'September 1999'. It has realistic graphics, and the game consists of 5 minutes of walking around slowly in an apartment. And that's the whole game.
Despite this, it has 2000 reviews on Steam, with 92% of them being positive. It is free, but if it had PS2 graphics, it would likely have a maximum of 100 reviews (I'm using reviews as a substitute for sales, since sales figures aren't public).
Assets with realistic graphics are just as easy to implement as assets with PS2 graphics, and assets with PS2 graphics aren't as saturated on the Unreal Marketplace, which makes it harder to find the assets that I need.

And yes, I've watched videos from channels like Alpha Beta Gamer for probably 10 years now. By doing so, I have gotten a good idea of what sells and what makes a horror game good.
Image 3
Screen Shot 2023 11 02 at 72536 PM
Image 1
Image 2

I made these recently. Maybe I need a break but I rarely have the motivation for more than a half an hour a day on this stuff. I get more entertainment dicking around in AI

But yes, it depends on the game how much you can get away with in terms of graphical fidelity. Note that I do distinguish between fidelity and style

Something like okami, the recent zelda games, persona 5 etc. These are are relatively low in fidelity but excel in style. Something like PT would've never kicked off with ps2 fidelity though

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: thecel and Spiritualcell
Bro took 1 year to remake a worse “BIGFOOT”

Mirin’

I'm making a better version of 'BIGFOOT', and 'BIGFOOT' made over 7 million, which is crazy considering the poor quality of the game.
And despite this, the 'Hunt down the folklore monster' genre, is still relatively unsaturated on steam.

How do u learn brah I always wanted to make a game
Are you asking how I learned, or are you asking about the most optimal way to learn?

Well, I started about a year ago. I already had the idea for the game planned out in my mind, so I decided to download Unreal Engine 5 and begin making it. At the time, I had zero experience with any kind of game development, so I didn't know how to code, animate, 3D model, texture, etc.

Now, I don't like watching tutorials and doing it the proper way. For example, I can't be bothered to understand how vectors work in detail. If I go watch a video about them, my brain shuts down because I'm not interested. Instead, I just use vectors based on intuition and bits of knowledge like, 'A vector is a data structure containing three numbers with a certain set of rules for how they interact with other vectors or scalars.' And it works alright (probably not ideally). I prefer just figuring it out on my own, even though it's not optimal.

Anyway, I knew what my game involved, so I picked assets that would help me make the game. At first, I didn't understand anything, so I just messed around with assets, trying to make stuff. And after doing that for a month, I had a good enough understanding of the process of developing a game in Unreal Engine 5.

Then I created my actual game project, and I slowly built the game. A year later, and the project now has stuff like true first-person, an advanced weapon system, advanced AI, a realistic-looking open world, mild survival mechanics, interactable objects, a camera system, placeable and pickupable equipment, an in-game computer OS, a companion system, buying and selling equipment, readable notes, world events, high-quality audio, etc.

I had to learn something new when adding these things pretty much every time. But as I slowly added to the project, I slowly got more experienced.

I did spend about three months of the year since I began the project, learning how to make 3D models, rig and skin, texture, and UV wrap. Which probably was a waste of time since I can just get assets from the marketplace, but it was fun. I'm pretty good at that now, and I can now sell 3D models. I'm working on another project which is an asset I intend to sell on the Unreal marketplace, which uses these skills, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Listen, my advice is to download Unreal Engine 5, and then watch some videos explaining blueprints (it's an easy-to-use coding language in Unreal Engine 5).
I can give you download links to assets that I bought from the marketplace if you want. Just tell me which assets you want (this could be anything like a weather system, AI system, forest biome pack, etc.), and I'll provide you with the download link.

View attachment 2597313View attachment 2597315View attachment 2597316View attachment 2597318View attachment 2597319

I made these recently. Maybe I need a break but I rarely have the motivation for more than a half an hour a day on this stuff. I get more entertainment dicking around in AI

But yes, it depends on the game how much you can get away with in terms of graphical fidelity. Note that I do distinguish between fidelity and style

Something like okami, the recent zelda games, persona 5 etc. These are are relatively low in fidelity but excel in style. Something like PT would've never kicked off with ps2 fidelity though
Looks good.

Do you not texture the models or make them full-body? Personally, I wouldn't be able to motivate myself if the finished product was just an untextured head sculpt. A head sculpt doesn't serve a purpose. It could work for a portfolio, sure, but beyond that, what does it do?

I think you should try making a full character and then sell it. That might offer some motivation.

I can tell you about my general workflow for creating a character for games if you want.

• +1
Reactions: diamondbill, TechnoBoss and Deleted member 21345
I'm making a better version of 'BIGFOOT', and 'BIGFOOT' made over 7 million, which is crazy considering the poor quality of the game.
And despite this, the 'Hunt down the folklore monster' genre, is still relatively unsaturated on steam.

Are you asking how I learned, or are you asking about the most optimal way to learn?

Well, I started about a year ago. I already had the idea for the game planned out in my mind, so I decided to download Unreal Engine 5 and begin making it. At the time, I had zero experience with any kind of game development, so I didn't know how to code, animate, 3D model, texture, etc.

Now, I don't like watching tutorials and doing it the proper way. For example, I can't be bothered to understand how vectors work in detail. If I go watch a video about them, my brain shuts down because I'm not interested. Instead, I just use vectors based on intuition and bits of knowledge like, 'A vector is a data structure containing three numbers with a certain set of rules for how they interact with other vectors or scalars.' And it works alright (probably not ideally). I prefer just figuring it out on my own, even though it's not optimal.

Anyway, I knew what my game involved, so I picked assets that would help me make the game. At first, I didn't understand anything, so I just messed around with assets, trying to make stuff. And after doing that for a month, I had a good enough understanding of the process of developing a game in Unreal Engine 5.

Then I created my actual game project, and I slowly built the game. A year later, and the project now has stuff like true first-person, an advanced weapon system, advanced AI, a realistic-looking open world, mild survival mechanics, interactable objects, a camera system, placeable and pickupable equipment, an in-game computer OS, a companion system, buying and selling equipment, readable notes, world events, high-quality audio, etc.

I had to learn something new when adding these things pretty much every time. But as I slowly added to the project, I slowly got more experienced.

I did spend about three months of the year since I began the project, learning how to make 3D models, rig and skin, texture, and UV wrap. Which probably was a waste of time since I can just get assets from the marketplace, but it was fun. I'm pretty good at that now, and I can now sell 3D models. I'm working on another project which is an asset I intend to sell on the Unreal marketplace, which uses these skills, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Listen, my advice is to download Unreal Engine 5, and then watch some videos explaining blueprints (it's an easy-to-use coding language in Unreal Engine 5).
I can give you download links to assets that I bought from the marketplace if you want. Just tell me which assets you want (this could be anything like a weather system, AI system, forest biome pack, etc.), and I'll provide you with the download link.

Looks good.

Do you not texture the models or make them full-body? Personally, I wouldn't be able to motivate myself if the finished product was just an untextured head sculpt. A head sculpt doesn't serve a purpose. It could work for a portfolio, sure, but beyond that, what does it do?

I think you should try making a full character and then sell it. That might offer some motivation.

I can tell you about my general workflow for creating a character for games if you want.
Youre right, I'm also thinking of trying environments also. Sometimes you need variety. I'd love to hear about your workflow

• +1
Reactions: thecel

Tagging:
@Pikabro
@Psychophilly
@Aloha
@LooksThinker
@SlavicGeneral
@Tylermax
@Sondern
@AngryShane

gave development is isanely competitive and tbh a waste of time because you have to compete with insanely large monopolies

• +1
Reactions: thecel

Tagging:
@Pikabro
@Psychophilly
@Aloha
@LooksThinker
@SlavicGeneral
@Tylermax
@Sondern
@AngryShane

Gets brutally mogged by gta 6 trailer.

Tagging:
@Pikabro
@Psychophilly
@Aloha
@LooksThinker
@SlavicGeneral
@Tylermax
@Sondern
@AngryShane

I would try to add next something more "original" and "horror" like to the game because now it just seem like another survival typa game.