How do you know if you need BSSO or Genio

Sal

Sal

Nobody really likes us except for us
Let me know your thoughts. My upper maxilla is protruded.

Drop an example of one that needs genio and another one needs BSSO.

I mean if your chin is lacking projection but your bite is fine you need genio.
If your bite is fucked and your chin is lacking projection you most likely will need both

Genio requires no preparation either

• +1
Reactions: 5.5psl, Sal and Deleted member 19174
If your bite is fucked and your chin is lacking projection you most likely will need both

Does slight overbite mean bsso. My alignment is good and i never got braces

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Sal
If you have a good maxilla, it depends on your bite. If you have a normal overbite (3mm or less) then probably your chin is underdeveloped.

If you have a good maxilla, it depends on your bite. If you have a normal overbite (3mm or less) then probably your chin is underdeveloped.

I'm getting braces next month to fix my teeth. If after I see that my bite is fucked then I'll get BSSO. Currently have an overjet + overbite. I'll ask the ortho how big my overbite is. I'm not afraid of getting BSSO cause my job is very accepting and isn't gonna fire me for taking a month off work. Plus BSSO & Bimax is free where I live.

I just wanted to know. I have TMJ btw so idk if I need BSSO for that.

post side profile

I'm getting braces next month to fix my teeth. If after I see that my bite is fucked then I'll get BSSO. Currently have an overjet + overbite. I'll ask the ortho how big my overbite is. I'm not afraid of getting BSSO cause my job is very accepting and isn't gonna fire me for taking a month off work. Plus BSSO & Bimax is free where I live.

I just wanted to know. I have TMJ btw so idk if I need BSSO for that.
See that’s another problem with jaw surgery. If it’s free, then the surgeon is out of your hands. Also, it wouldn’t be considered a cosmetic procedure, of course he’d give you more forward growth but it may not be what you’re looking for aesthetically. And you have no say as you are not the one paying. Genioplasty on the other hand is 100% cosmetic and the surgeon will let you customize what you want done to an extent. Because you are paying, they want to give you your desired aesthetic result.

Does slight overbite mean bsso. My alignment is good and i never got braces
what do you mean by slight? Even a 7mm overbite looks slight from photographs.

what do you mean by slight? Even a 7mm overbite looks slight from photographs.
I’d say generally speaking you need about 5mm for it to be worth getting BSSO or else the aesthetic improvement is negligible, May as well jsur get a genio. On the maxilla it’s different because smaller movements can change the face like crazy

• +1
Reactions: Sal

But what if I have deep bite, but very good projected chin, if I get bsso my chin will be too protruding

how much that costs tho? or who to consult with

If your lip position is good and your chin is still recessed then you need genio. Otherwise bimax.