How to actually start something

becomingnearperfect

becomingnearperfect

CaharaPilled
A couple of months ago, I had a weird but common problem that a lot of you may have. I wanted to get back into learning to play the piano. I thought it was a really cool and fun hobby that would interest me, and so I decided that every night before going to bed, I would go and play the piano as it would be a nice relaxing way to wind down for the day and also engage in a hobby that didn't require a phone screen. However, when it actually became night time, I'd say to myself, ohh im kinda sleepy, ohh I'm kinda tired, and say some dumbass excuse which ended up in me never actually playing. I would then wake up the next morning reinvigorated with the passion to learn how to play the piano, but the same cycle would ensue. I kept coping with this for weeks till I realized that something was terribly wrong.

I then decided one day that I'd just play the piano when I felt like it. That happened to be the minute I came up with the plan. I turned on my piano, pulled out a song sheet, and in one day, I got more piano playing experience than I had for all those weeks combined. I proceeded to keep doing this again and again, until playing the piano didn't seem like a "chore" or a "task", but a fun activity. After this, I then decided I would go back to playing the piano before going to bed and guess what, I actually stuck with it this time.

This reminds me of a post I saw here. Lower IQ people will go out immediately and seek out what they want out of impulse, and as a result achieve what they want. Higher IQ people strategize and methodically but effectively do what they want and achieve it. Its us average folks that are stuck in this constant dumbass loop. But not all hope is lost as we can learn from this since we have the best of both worlds.

Whenever you do have the impulse like someone of low IQ, go out and immediately do what you wanna do. Wanna start a dropshipping store? Don't spend 10 hours watching youtube videos. Instead, immediately make a shopify store, find some products, order them and record some videos. Wanna effectively grow said dropshipping store? Now spend 10 hrs or how many ever hours strategizing and implementing what to do like someone of higher IQ. However, only do this after you get into the rhythm.

Is this the most productive and efficient method? Far from it. Is this the most effective method to get into something? Most likely.

• +1
Reactions: Hector, Fiqh, lightskinbengali and 3 others
dnr 0 no money for u poorcell

• +1
Reactions: PseudoMaxxer and Sondern
A couple of months ago, I had a weird but common problem that a lot of you may have. I wanted to get back into learning to play the piano. I thought it was a really cool and fun hobby that would interest me, and so I decided that every night before going to bed, I would go and play the piano as it would be a nice relaxing way to wind down for the day and also engage in a hobby that didn't require a phone screen. However, when it actually became night time, I'd say to myself, ohh im kinda sleepy, ohh I'm kinda tired, and say some dumbass excuse which ended up in me never actually playing. I would then wake up the next morning reinvigorated with the passion to learn how to play the piano, but the same cycle would ensue. I kept coping with this for weeks till I realized that something was terribly wrong.

I then decided one day that I'd just play the piano when I felt like it. That happened to be the minute I came up with the plan. I turned on my piano, pulled out a song sheet, and in one day, I got more piano playing experience than I had for all those weeks combined. I proceeded to keep doing this again and again, until playing the piano didn't seem like a "chore" or a "task", but a fun activity. After this, I then decided I would go back to playing the piano before going to bed and guess what, I actually stuck with it this time.

This reminds me of a post I saw here. Lower IQ people will go out immediately and seek out what they want out of impulse, and as a result achieve what they want. Higher IQ people strategize and methodically but effectively do what they want and achieve it. Its us average folks that are stuck in this constant dumbass loop. But not all hope is lost as we can learn from this since we have the best of both worlds.

Whenever you do have the impulse like someone of low IQ, go out and immediately do what you wanna do. Wanna start a dropshipping store? Don't spend 10 hours watching youtube videos. Instead, immediately make a shopify store, find some products, order them and record some videos. Wanna effectively grow said dropshipping store? Now spend 10 hrs or how many ever hours strategizing and implementing what to do like someone of higher IQ. However, only do this after you get into the rhythm.

Is this the most productive and efficient method? Far from it. Is this the most effective method to get into something? Most likely.
On a side note your strategy doesnt make much sense. Compulsively doing what you want to get better at could lead to severe risks. It needs analysis and planning and bla bla bla you either are high inhib planificator aspie anxietycell or lowiq dark triad caveman yolo everything type.

I dont see much risk in getting started tho. Like learning a skill. If u do it conpulsively it would actually be good since you’re invested in it. But starting a business is wasay different

• +1
Reactions: Pikabro
On a side note your strategy doesnt make much sense. Compulsively doing what you want to get better at could lead to severe risks. It needs analysis and planning and bla bla bla you either are high inhib planificator aspie anxietycell or lowiq dark triad caveman yolo everything type.

I dont see much risk in getting started tho. Like learning a skill. If u do it conpulsively it would actually be good since you’re invested in it. But starting a business is wasay different
I guess i didn't make my main point more clear. It's more on the topic of starting even if you don't have 100% of the info. With something like a business, you should follow jeff bezos' 70% rule and evaluate the risks, but you shouldn't be caught up on trying to perfect something. Water advice but still pretty interesting

true but that 0.36 post/rep ratio is insane lmfao

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: NateJacobs, Deleted member 47332 and becomingnearperfect
Just start with an extremely small step or committtment. Also remove any distractions or temptations that might give you more pleasure than doing what you set out.
The rest comes down to discipline and reminding yourself why you’re doing it.

• +1
Reactions: becomingnearperfect
If you can do something now do it and don’t wait till tomorrow

• +1
Reactions: becomingnearperfect
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 29167