Is a maxillary downgraft during a CCW bimax possible ?

SurgeryEnjoyer

SurgeryEnjoyer

Le/Fort/3
Is this even a thing ? People who have downward growth and a downswung maxilla/mandible often have too long of a face, therefore do not need skull (sphlancnocranium height),and those who have a vertically deficient face (usually sfs) are just recessed and not really downswung. What should i do in my case, where i have the typical mouth breather package (no under eye support, recessed mandible and maxilla and overall downswung) but still need lower third height ? If it has been done please show some results or as much info as possible, thanks.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 43403 and Deleted member 8771
Yes, maxillary downgraft is what makes counterclockwise rotation of the maxillomandibular complex possible. Specifically, it is posterior maxillary downgraft which is used to allow for the mandible to be rotated in a counterclockwise direction. You can downgraft the maxilla "uniformly" for more incisor show but to achieve counterclockwise rotation of the MMC you need the posterior downgraft to be greater than the anterior downgraft.

CCWr can only be achieved in two ways; either through anterior impaction or through posterior downgrafting.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 43403 and Deleted member 8771
Yes, maxillary downgraft is what makes counterclockwise rotation of the maxillomandibular complex possible. Specifically, it is posterior maxillary downgraft which is used to allow for the mandible to be rotated in a counterclockwise direction. You can downgraft the maxilla "uniformly" for more incisor show but to achieve counterclockwise rotation of the MMC you need the posterior downgraft to be greater than the anterior downgraft.

CCWr can only be achieved in two ways; either through anterior impaction or through posterior downgrafting.
Mind if i pm you ?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 43403

Does posterior downgrafting of the maxilla lead to an increase in ramus length ?

• +1
Reactions: SurgeryEnjoyer
Does posterior downgrafting of the maxilla lead to an increase in ramus length ?

Last edited: