Is " Cs majors will be jobless in the coming years " Actually real?

Cs16 logo
?

• JFL
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: spdxer, Chintuck22, NoseProphecy and 5 others
well all the people and fellow students I know at T20s for compsci around the US have experienced a major dilemma regarding internships and job offers pretty recently - the hardest grinders in your department will easily have at least 200-500 applications turned in prior to the seeking months and probably have stacked resumes to match. if you don't have clear-cut connections to a company or a history of working with one before asking for a job/opportunity, don't get your hopes up.

and lets not forget about all those "UX designers" or "web dev engineers" that are eventually gonna be replaced out the entire market entirely because their jobs are so fucking easy that a 10 year old with access to chatgpt can do them.

my prediction is that only people with actual talent and unique skillsets (Chinese math prodigies or dual degrees/experience with other fields) will linger around after this next onslaught of aspiring software devs.

don't worry nepo babies, you'll be safe too.

• +1
Reactions: dragomaxxer, Chintuck22 and reddotguy
Dead forum
well all the people and fellow students I know at T20s for compsci around the US have experienced a major dilemma regarding internships and job offers pretty recently - the hardest grinders in your department will easily have at least 200-500 applications turned in prior to the seeking months and probably have stacked resumes to match. if you don't have clear-cut connections to a company or a history of working with one before asking for a job/opportunity, don't get your hopes up.

and lets not forget about all those "UX designers" or "web dev engineers" that are eventually gonna be replaced out the entire market entirely because their jobs are so fucking easy that a 10 year old with access to chatgpt can do them.

my prediction is that only people with actual talent and unique skillsets (Chinese math prodigies or dual degrees/experience with other fields) will linger around after this next onslaught of aspiring software devs.

don't worry nepo babies, you'll be safe too.
Yeah but seeing all the layoffs big tech doing is suifuel ngl but i would be more than happy to get a job in a startup too

Not really, it’s just gonna be more competitive. You’ll be fine if you have 3+ internships in college, solid side projects, and can leetcode. If you don’t think you can do that, honestly just pick electrical engineering instead - it’s basically the more market secure version of cs. (Slightly lower pay tho)

• +1
Reactions: Kamui and reddotguy
you can start off in IT with a cs degree. Programming jobs are basically impossible to land without experience and connections at the moment.

• +1
Reactions: reddotguy
you can start off in IT with a cs degree. Programming jobs are basically impossible to land without experience and connections at the moment.
Is it just programming jobs or all of cs majors? for example cyber security, data science, machine learning, ai etc?

Yeah this is true as well, cloud engineering and network engineering have v solid pay and way less competition. Full stack and backend engineering are completely cooked atm.

• +1
i know multiple faang interns that are struggling super hard rn, outside of big tech, if a company like paypal is laying people off just shows you how bad its gotten. Past 3 managers have all got laid off and a company i just interviewed with said they closed the internship program due to lowered financial expectations

• +1
Other Companies with layoffs in 2024:

iRobot layoffs: 31% of workforce laid off (January 2024)

Salesforce layoffs: 1% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Business Insider layoffs: 8% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
TIME magazine layoffs: 15% of editorial staff laid off (January 2024)
SAP layoffs: 7% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Vroom layoffs: 90% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
The Los Angeles Times layoffs: 20% of newsroom staff laid off (January 2024)
Brex layoffs: 20% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
X (Alphabet's moonshot lab) layoffs: Undisclosed dozens of jobs laid off (January 2024)
Citigroup layoffs: 8% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Prime Video & MGM Studios layoffs: undisclosed hundreds of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Macy's layoffs: 3% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Wayfair layoffs: 13% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Riot Games layoffs: 11% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
TikTok layoffs: <1% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Microsoft layoffs: 8% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Levi Strauss & Co. (Levi's) layoffs: 10%-15% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
REI layoffs: 2% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
eBay layoffs: 9% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Sports Illustrated layoffs: <1% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Discord layoffs: 15% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Amazon Audible layoffs: 5% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Pixar (Disney+) layoffs: <20% of workforce layoffs announced (January 2024)
NBC News layoffs: 1-3% of workforce layoffs (January 2024)
CitiGroup layoffs: 8% of workforce layoffs announced (January 2024)
Universal Music Group NV layoffs: Hundreds to be laid off (January 2024)
Google layoffs: <1% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Amazon Twitch layoffs: 35% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Treasure Financial layoffs: 60-70% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Duolingo layoffs: 10% of contractor workforce laid off (January 2024)
Sharpie & Rubbermaid (Newell) layoffs: 7% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Rent the Runway layoffs: 10% of corporate roles cut (Early 2024)
Unity layoffs: 25% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Blackrock layoffs: 3% of global workforce laid off (January 2024)
Pitch layoffs: Two-thirds of employees laid off (January 2024)
BenchSci layoffs: 17% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Flexe layoffs: 38% of staff eliminated (January 2024)
NuScale layoffs: 28% of staff laid off (January 2024)
Trigo layoffs: 15% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Xerox layoffs: 15% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
InVision shutdown: Entire company by end of 2024 (January 2024)
VideoAmp layoffs: Nearly 20% of workforce laid off (January 2024)
Orca Security layoffs: Roughly 15% of staff laid off (January 2024)
Frontdesk layoffs: Entire 200-person workforce laid off (January 2024)

• +1
Is it just programming jobs or all of cs majors? for example cyber security, data science, machine learning, ai etc?
Cybersec is solid, data science/ml is kinda cooked but since u need a phd it’s still less competitive than cs

• +1
Boeing is gonna destroy the airlien industry and anything associated with it in the next quarterly financial reports

• +1
i know multiple faang interns that are struggling super hard rn, outside of big tech, if a company like paypal is laying people off just shows you how bad its gotten. Past 3 managers have all got laid off and a company i just interviewed with said they closed the internship program due to lowered financial expectations
Yeah ngl it seems as if the only worthy wageslaving job itself is being taken from every one

• So Sad
Reactions: gooner23
Yeah ngl it seems as if the only worthy wageslaving job itself is being taken from every one
i can still graduate with a good ass job that only has like 5 hours of week usually but i have to go in person for 2 days was praying that it was remote only got like 1.5 years left

• +1
My major is cybersecurity, most higher paying jobs won't hire you if you have a degree, I think its really hard to land even a entry level cyber job. You gotta start lower and work your way up. My plan is to get a basic entry level IT job move to SOC analyst and then a higher end cyber position.

Programming jobs I belive have been hit the hardest no one will hire you for a job that would've been considered entry level a couple years ago. I would look into cyber but understand you probably wont be getting paid good at the start.

• +1
Ngl I got ridiculously lucky, return offer from internship last year, I’m starting full time in 2 weeks and it’s 6 figures remote. It’s a cloud role tho, I’d prob be insanely cooked if I was a swe.

• +1
Cybersec is solid, data science/ml is kinda cooked but since u need a phd it’s still less competitive than cs
Bro how would people pay to study for a phd
That doesn't sound like a good return to me tbh like you pay six figures in tution or
Be lucky with getting a scholarship in a good uni and still be in debt after getting the job? :lul:

Ngl I got ridiculously lucky, return offer from internship last year, I’m starting full time in 2 weeks and it’s 6 figures remote. It’s a cloud role tho, I’d prob be insanely cooked if I was a swe.
That sound good bro, is it a startup?

• +1
No, I'm a CS grad and attended a T10 in the US. Right now hiring is shit since interest rates are high and startups aren't getting capital to hire talent they need so big tech has no incentive to hire right now. AI is FAR from being able to replace devs at this point. You will see hiring for tech pickup as interest rates go down. I and many others got brutally fucked these past 2 years, but this is purely cyclical.

Last edited:
quite the opposite

No, I'm a CS grad and attended a T10 in the US. Right now hiring is shit since interest rates are high and startups aren't getting capital to hire talent they need so big tech has no incentive to hire right now. AI is FAR from being able to replace devs at this point. You will see hiring for tech pickup as interest rates go down. I and many others got brutally fucked these past 2 years, but this is purely cyclical.
Do you have a ft offer? I’m at a t30 and got super lucky, I’m like one of the only ppl I know w an offer. Most of my friends at t10s got ft offers w much less effort and are making way more than me tho.

Cope DNRD

Do you have a ft offer? I’m at a t30 and got super lucky, I’m like one of the only ppl I know w an offer. Most of my friends at t10s got ft offers w much less effort and are making way more than me tho.
Yes, before graduating I secured an offer for my dream role that would've had me set for life. That offer unfortunately got rescinded last minute. I went from having my inbox spammed by recruiters to absolutely nothing so it took me 1-1.5 months to secure another offer. I ended up having to take an offer that I had no interest in and is well below my skillset. Makes me want to rope.

I know many brilliant people that ended up having to do the same, even PhD candidates..

Im JFLing to CS majors rn. Should have chosen hardware like me :feelsohh:
Cse is prob the superior major since it gives you freedom to do either hardware or software. But software engineering and related jobs mog in general, cuz higher pay and can be remote.
Yes, before graduating I secured an offer for my dream role that would've had me set for life. That offer unfortunately got rescinded last minute. I went from having my inbox spammed by recruiters to absolutely nothing so it took me 1-1.5 months to secure another offer. I ended up having to take an offer that I had no interest in and is well below my skillset. Makes me want to rope.

I know many brilliant people that ended up having to do the same, even PhD candidates..
fuckkkkk rip bro, also how last minute did they pull your offer? I start in 2 weeks do you think they could do me dirty within that timeframe, lwk hella stressed out ab this shit. I literally stacked classes to graduate early just so I could start early since this is a return from last yr.

fuckkkkk rip bro, also how last minute did they pull your offer? I start in 2 weeks do you think they could do me dirty within that timeframe, lwk hella stressed out ab this shit. I literally stacked classes to graduate early just so I could start early since this is a return from last yr.
I got the call a few days before my start date. It's possible they could do you dirty, but I wouldn't stress over it, especially if you interned with them. Guess this is why they tell you to socialmaxx in school, I probably could have formed connections to at least be doing PE or VC now since my dumb cuck roommates from college are all doing that.

I got the call a few days before my start date. It's possible they could do you dirty, but I wouldn't stress over it, especially if you interned with them. Guess this is why they tell you to socialmaxx in school, I probably could have formed connections to at least be doing PE or VC now since my dumb cuck roommates from college are all doing that.
Few days before is diabolical ngl this shit got me scared af 😭 leetcodefuel

• +1
if you can get an above a masters in CS and stack certs you can get 6 figures easy working in the foreign service
Wouldn't doing that cost me fuck ton of money for tution? Or just be lucky with scholarship :lul:

Wouldn't doing that cost me fuck ton of money for tution? Or just be lucky with scholarship :lul:
I actually forgot that tuition costs a fuck ton 💀 but yeah, to pay tuition I would say there are 3 options:

1.Join the military just for college and quit ASAP

2. Student loans, will fuck you later though

3. Get lucky with scholarships

• JFL
Get your parents to pay and tell em you’ll eventually pay it back, better than dealing with student loans.

• Hmm...
I actually forgot that tuition costs a fuck ton 💀 but yeah, to pay tuition I would say there are 3 options:

1.Join the military just for college and quit ASAP

2. Student loans, will fuck you later though

3. Get lucky with scholarships
The military doesn't pay six figures and "just be lucky bro " It's actually over :feelswhy:

Few days before is diabolical ngl this shit got me scared af 😭 leetcodefuel
Just transmaxx, the only people I know of who don't come from wealthy, well-connected families but are still securing top tier roles are black females lol

• Woah
Reactions: hello12344
Get your parents to pay and tell em you’ll eventually pay it back, better than dealing with student loans.
My parents don't have six figures just to pay for tution and even if they did they wouldn't give me because they paid for my brothers tution but he's nowhere near earning six figures they are convinced that they won't waste thier money I'm cooked ngl

The military doesn't pay six figures and "just be lucky bro " It's actually over :feelswhy:
Idk where your from but in the U.S.A the military will pay your college tuition

• Woah
I'm in us, how much time do you have to serve before they let you??
but you can still do college online while in active service

• +1
Is it just military training service or do they send you overseas to be stationed in bases?
6 weeks basic training , and then they station you wherever, could be Okinawa or it could be Kansas. Most airforce guys I knew ended up getting sent to Germany and marines get sent to Okinawa

• +1
6 weeks basic training , and then they station you wherever, could be Okinawa or it could be Kansas. Most airforce guys I knew ended up getting sent to Germany and marines get sent to Okinawa
Sound like a good idea tbh will look into it, but 4 years in military and stacking certs which will probably be 3 plus years and finally after waiting 10 years to just wageslave sounds suifuel ngl

• So Sad
Reactions: Lebron_James
Cyber security mogs

No but it will be more like a regular engineering job in the future. You won’t get 120k upon graduation.

doubtful but hopefully. tired of all these weak chinless nerd faggots and dalits copemaxing with these cringey useless parasite careers. if all these fuckers stopped coping, sold everything for bitcoin and hopped on n337bux we will see a revolution followed by an american reniassance

• +1
doubtful but hopefully. tired of all these weak chinless nerd faggots and dalits copemaxing with these cringey useless parasite careers. if all these fuckers stopped coping, sold everything for bitcoin and hopped on n337bux we will see a revolution followed by an american reniassance
yep...

fuark cs was my dream job man !

what type of cloud role?