Is it Possible to Suffer from Delusions of Unattractiveness?

ElliottSmith

ElliottSmith

Iron
I've been researching "facial dysmorphia," which is a condition that affects how individuals perceive their own physical appearance. Often, these individuals believe they are ugly or unattractive, despite what others may see. In some cases, people with facial dysmorphia might feel like they are constantly being lied to when they receive compliments, thinking that others are just being polite or insincere.

It's a topic that raises many questions. Is it possible to be in a delusion where you can get complimented all the time and yet feel like everyone is lying to you? Can one's self-perception be so distorted that they cannot accept the compliments and positive feedback they receive when they are objectively good looking to everyone else?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, personal experiences, or any information you might have on this subject. How does society's perception of beauty and attractiveness play into this? Is there a way to help someone with this kind of distorted self-image? Your insights could be really helpful not only to me but to others who might be going through the same thing.

Thanks.

• +1
Reactions: chosen-one and vermillioncorefan
Usually they think less of themselves but still know they’re attractive

That’s usually something really attractive people have

I've been researching "facial dysmorphia," which is a condition that affects how individuals perceive their own physical appearance. Often, these individuals believe they are ugly or unattractive, despite what others may see. In some cases, people with facial dysmorphia might feel like they are constantly being lied to when they receive compliments, thinking that others are just being polite or insincere.

It's a topic that raises many questions. Is it possible to be in a delusion where you can get complimented all the time and yet feel like everyone is lying to you? Can one's self-perception be so distorted that they cannot accept the compliments and positive feedback they receive when they are objectively good looking to everyone else?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, personal experiences, or any information you might have on this subject. How does society's perception of beauty and attractiveness play into this? Is there a way to help someone with this kind of distorted self-image? Your insights could be really helpful not only to me but to others who might be going through the same thing.

Thanks.
nope

people will say BDD is cope (for some it probably is), however, if you were fat all your life and leaned down after being incel in puberty/developmental stage, you can have some serious trauma leading to shit lke this. Gandy is an example.