It's crazy how Criston Cole is the most hated character on HOTD

alriodai

alriodai

I am the dude on my profile picture (really)
You don’t have to like Criston or agree with my opinion. I do want to talk about some aspects of Criston’s character that I find interesting and want to be explored more. The first aspect of this is his Dornish ancestry. This is purely speculation, but because Dorne was unconquered during this time it wouldn’t surprise me if Criston was treated with contempt by not only Targaryen royals but also by Targaryen loyalists who are bitter against the Dornish for remaining unbent and unbroken. And by Targaryen loyalists, I’m including the Kingsguard in this.

For the second aspect, Criston is low-born. He’s a son of a steward I believe, from an irrelevant house with no glory or titles. As he said to Aemond in episode 9, he has had to toil and claw his way to the top, which is admirable in a society where status and birth dictate one’s life trajectory Criston has somehow managed to defy the odds. I’m sorry, but in my opinion, that takes major wits, work ethic, determination, and skills.

Despite having to work much harder than other men in his position, he is not given the respect he deserves as a member of Kingsgaurd. An example would be Daemon calling him “Crispin”. This may not seem like much on the surface, but in Criston’s shoes, he’s the one who came from nothing and beat a Targaryen prince, just to be openly made fun of. He can’t even fight back because Daemon has his bloodline and status to protect him, so Criston will be the one punished if he (rightfully) decked Daemon in the face for disrespect.

A second example would be Harwin and Lyonel talking about Criston behind his back. Harwin talks about him in a demeaning manner, calling him “son of a steward” with a tone full of contempt, which results in Lyonel having to remind him that he is a knight of the kingsgaurd. This is just one instance, but I wonder if this scene is meant to show us that Criston has been treated this way before and I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Criston knows how the other guards view him.

Imagine your position, something you worked for since square one, being demeaned constantly because of things you cannot change. His country of origin and family of origin, something that’s being stamped on his forehead as something to be disgusted by or something he should feel ashamed of.

Now let’s talk about Rhaenyra. I could make an entire other post about the dynamics between Rhaenyra and Criston and the fandom’s response to it, but I’ll cut it short for this post.

I 100% believe that Criston has been treated like he’s nothing by every one of higher status around him. When a woman of such high standing and honors desires him, Criston gives something very precious—his honor, his vow, his chastity—because in reality that’s all he has to give Rhaenyra. I’m looking at this from a perspective of an extremely belittled and unloved individual who’s suddenly showered with all this positive attention and affection, so I’m not shocked at Criston’s willingness to give it to her.

Despite saying no more than once and all his hesitation, he gives in. It’s not right, but I get it. Criston feels attached to her Rhaenyra but she dehumanizes him just like every one of higher birth has. She uses him as a tool for her satisfaction (her sexual gratification) and treats the intimacy between them like it was nothing. Not caring about the emotions that are coming from Criston.

It’s kinda ridiculous, but I think Criston has a Romeo mentality. He wants to run away with Rhaenyra, but Rhaenyra is a princess. She wants him to be her whore, to use at her discretion, while she gets to live in the lap of luxury her entire life. Whether or not it’s true, Criston realizes that he is nothing to Rhaenyra. Just like he’s nothing to everyone else.

I’m going to end on Alicent. Criston has not been met with contempt, discrimination, and dehumanization his entire life, so when Alicent spares him and prevents him from taking his own life like the Romeo he is, he romanticizes her. She is the only person who saved him instead of him saving himself and brings him into her embrace.

Criston is obsessed with Alicent in my opinion. If she doesn’t like what he says, he changes what he says. If she says go, he goes. He will protect her and her children with every fiber in his body. Aemond confides in him, Helaena looks to him for protection and holds onto him in times of danger (which is telling because he’s one of the few people that she allows to touch her), and Aegon is Aegon with him, but Aegon acts like Aegon with everybody lol. By bringing him into her embrace, Alicent has given him the family he has been deprived of since he became a knight.

This is show Criston only

In the books, Criston Cole is literally the best fighter of his time, he beat edgy Daemon Targrayen twice, he fucks up and beats the fuck outta Harwin Strong and they rename hims Harwin Brokenbones instead of Harwin Breakbones (fucking hate harwin strong)

And he dies an honorable death: A LITERAL chad asking for a 3v1 while being outnumbered but gets arrowed by the cowards

He is still remember 200 years after by Jaime Lannister and Loras Tyrell as one of the best member and fighters of the kingsguard

Kingmaker Criston Cole and Aemond Targaryen will always be the best characters of F&B

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ChiraqJihad and Deleted member 8771
@MrGlutton @Tyrion! @House Lannister @Erik-Jón

• +1
Reactions: House Lannister and Erik-Jón
You don’t have to like Criston or agree with my opinion. I do want to talk about some aspects of Criston’s character that I find interesting and want to be explored more. The first aspect of this is his Dornish ancestry. This is purely speculation, but because Dorne was unconquered during this time it wouldn’t surprise me if Criston was treated with contempt by not only Targaryen royals but also by Targaryen loyalists who are bitter against the Dornish for remaining unbent and unbroken. And by Targaryen loyalists, I’m including the Kingsguard in this.

For the second aspect, Criston is low-born. He’s a son of a steward I believe, from an irrelevant house with no glory or titles. As he said to Aemond in episode 9, he has had to toil and claw his way to the top, which is admirable in a society where status and birth dictate one’s life trajectory Criston has somehow managed to defy the odds. I’m sorry, but in my opinion, that takes major wits, work ethic, determination, and skills.

Despite having to work much harder than other men in his position, he is not given the respect he deserves as a member of Kingsgaurd. An example would be Daemon calling him “Crispin”. This may not seem like much on the surface, but in Criston’s shoes, he’s the one who came from nothing and beat a Targaryen prince, just to be openly made fun of. He can’t even fight back because Daemon has his bloodline and status to protect him, so Criston will be the one punished if he (rightfully) decked Daemon in the face for disrespect.

A second example would be Harwin and Lyonel talking about Criston behind his back. Harwin talks about him in a demeaning manner, calling him “son of a steward” with a tone full of contempt, which results in Lyonel having to remind him that he is a knight of the kingsgaurd. This is just one instance, but I wonder if this scene is meant to show us that Criston has been treated this way before and I don’t think it’s a stretch to think Criston knows how the other guards view him.

Imagine your position, something you worked for since square one, being demeaned constantly because of things you cannot change. His country of origin and family of origin, something that’s being stamped on his forehead as something to be disgusted by or something he should feel ashamed of.

Now let’s talk about Rhaenyra. I could make an entire other post about the dynamics between Rhaenyra and Criston and the fandom’s response to it, but I’ll cut it short for this post.

I 100% believe that Criston has been treated like he’s nothing by every one of higher status around him. When a woman of such high standing and honors desires him, Criston gives something very precious—his honor, his vow, his chastity—because in reality that’s all he has to give Rhaenyra. I’m looking at this from a perspective of an extremely belittled and unloved individual who’s suddenly showered with all this positive attention and affection, so I’m not shocked at Criston’s willingness to give it to her.

Despite saying no more than once and all his hesitation, he gives in. It’s not right, but I get it. Criston feels attached to her Rhaenyra but she dehumanizes him just like every one of higher birth has. She uses him as a tool for her satisfaction (her sexual gratification) and treats the intimacy between them like it was nothing. Not caring about the emotions that are coming from Criston.

It’s kinda ridiculous, but I think Criston has a Romeo mentality. He wants to run away with Rhaenyra, but Rhaenyra is a princess. She wants him to be her whore, to use at her discretion, while she gets to live in the lap of luxury her entire life. Whether or not it’s true, Criston realizes that he is nothing to Rhaenyra. Just like he’s nothing to everyone else.

I’m going to end on Alicent. Criston has not been met with contempt, discrimination, and dehumanization his entire life, so when Alicent spares him and prevents him from taking his own life like the Romeo he is, he romanticizes her. She is the only person who saved him instead of him saving himself and brings him into her embrace.

Criston is obsessed with Alicent in my opinion. If she doesn’t like what he says, he changes what he says. If she says go, he goes. He will protect her and her children with every fiber in his body. Aemond confides in him, Helaena looks to him for protection and holds onto him in times of danger (which is telling because he’s one of the few people that she allows to touch her), and Aegon is Aegon with him, but Aegon acts like Aegon with everybody lol. By bringing him into her embrace, Alicent has given him the family he has been deprived of since he became a knight.

This is show Criston only

In the books, Criston Cole is literally the best fighter of his time, he beat edgy Daemon Targrayen twice, he fucks up and beats the fuck outta Harwin Strong and they rename hims Harwin Brokenbones instead of Harwin Breakbones (fucking hate harwin strong)

And he dies an honorable death: A LITERAL chad asking for a 3v1 while being outnumbered but gets arrowed by the cowards

He is still remember 200 years after by Jaime Lannister and Loras Tyrell as one of the best member and fighters of the kingsguard

Kingmaker Criston Cole and Aemond Targaryen will always be the best characters of F&B
I hate him

Bad boy med jock managed to defile the jb princess

Although him asking her to move away with him was kinda cucked

• JFL
Reactions: MrGlutton and Deleted member 22126
racism cuz he is a muttcel

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 8771 and MrGlutton
Bad boy med jock managed to defile the jb princess

View attachment 1936802

Although him asking her to move away with him was kinda cucked
i need sauce

also he asked to move w her because he had honor, that nigga was from a low class family and his only shit that had him going was his honor

she pressured him to fuck her and if he refused she could have called rape

it was over for him in both way

fuck rhanerya

• JFL
Reactions: MrGlutton
i think criston cole is my fav character in this show lol

• +1
Reactions: alriodai
i think criston cole is my fav character in this show lol
him and aemond are the gaots

too bad in the show hes less frightening than in the books

• JFL
Reactions: MrGlutton
him and aemond are the gaots

too bad in the show hes less frightening than in the books
Cole is still by far the most frightening in in the show

he beat a bum to near death with his bare hands, beat daemon at the tourney and killed a lord by simply shoving him into his seat

imagine if he had a dragon? he'd conquer the verse JFL

• +1
Reactions: alriodai
@MrGlutton @Tyrion! @House Lannister @Erik-Jón
Bro I ain’t finished the series so I’m not gonna read the post rn

Guessing it has to do with him smashing rhanyra or some shit