Mentolabial Fold Recession Theory: Strong vs weak jawline

StrongChin

StrongChin

Iron
Hello, I've been reading posts about recessed faces for some time, but IMO we still have not found a foolproof definition that explains why some faces look “well-built” or strong-looking while others are weak-looking, specifically in the lower third area.

Strong

This theory surely isn’t foolproof but I hope will add another piece to the puzzle towards understanding how to become somewhat attractive (HTN+)

THEORY:

I think that the key to understand why some faces appear recessed (weak IRL) is the position of the Mentolabial fold (MF for short) in relation to the philtrum and the bottom lip

Viewing a side profile, if the MF is too much horizontally retruted compared to the highest part of philtrum the face will appear weak-ish even if the chin is big or prominent.
Exaggerated example:
LOOOOL

I want to underline the fact that this is true even for people with good bites, and IMO this is why having a good bite is not enough to have a good lower third.

Having a naturally strong jawline is a combination of several factors but I believe a good position of the MF is one of the best visual indicator, both IRL and by PSL aspie standards

I haven’t managed to produce a mathematical line to determine the ideal position for a MF, so instead I’ll give you my personal empirical considerations regarding its relation to a good lower third:
  • 1) the more a MF is horizontally protruded the more the jawline appears strong (too much protrusion is uncanny tho), jaw-jutting basically does this
  • 2) in an ideal Anteface the MF appears somewhat more protruded than the top point of philtrum [example: Angelina Jolie, don’t have an example for men]
Jolie

• 3) if the MF is high (close to bottom lip) the lower third can still look Strong even if the face is overall recessed [examples: David Gandy, Sean O’Pry]
Gandy

• 4) A high MF is always more aesthetic than a low one and enhances the chin even if it is not super big and squared (it’s a halo basically) [examples: young Jhonny Depp, prettyboys in general]
  • 5) if the MF is low (distant from bottom lip) the lower third usually doesn’t look good, to “compensate” and produce the Strong-ish look it needs to be horizontally protruded and/or the chin must be big and prominent [examples: youtuber Men’s Maxxing, Hexum]
MM
  • 6) A low MF looks better if its angle is big (flatter MF), the more the angle is small (deep MF) the worse it looks, as an example I morphed Chico’s face Morph angles

So ideally a top tier lower third should have a high and horizontally protruded Mentolabial fold (+ a good chin obviously)
In general the horizontal protrusion is crucial the more the MF is low and it's a bit less important if the MF is high

MY OWN CONCLUSION (TLDR):

for a Strong looking lower third a good protruding chin is not enough, you also need to have a Mentolabial Fold in a good position in relation to the rest of your features, if you have a recessed-looking jaw/face you need to bring your MF forward and closer to the lower lip (honestly don’t know if this is even possible). Have fun morphing side profiles

This theory also kinda answers to the old question of “Chin vs Mandible recession” : if the MF is horizontally retruded then the mandible is recessed

Let me know if you like this theory or if you think it’s garbage or water, if you believe it to be somewhat true I’d like it if you help me find a mathematical line to measure this type of recession and most importantly please share knowledge if you know which procedures might help to improve the Mentolabial Fold.

SURGERIES:

As far as I know chin implants and standard genioplasty don’t actually move the Mentolabial Fold but have the side effect of making it deeper, idk how other types of osteotomies like chin shield, geniopaully or chin wing affect it

Bimax instead moves the MF but I don’t know how it influences its angle and how it exactly changes the nose/philtrum, I read on other posts that advancing too much the maxilla can cause chimp-lips. As a final consideration I think that CCW rotation gives the MF a little bit more of horizontal protrusion (please someone confirm this), so theoretically it should be better for creating the strong-ish look mentioned above.

This is where my knowledge ends.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: bleachmaxxer69, Amadeus, m0ss26 and 18 others
Strong first post bhai.

• +1
Reactions: RopeMaxxed, Deleted member 25938, Lawton88 and 2 others
high iq

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer
this is fax, i noticed this with people with duck lips too, high iq thread op

What about fillers to bring it forward?

The only ways to address a deep mentolabial fold are,

Mandibular advancement
Mentalis muscle repositioning
Dermal Fat Graft
Screwing a bone block graft into b-point
Implant

No cuts of genioplasties, not even the 'Triaca chin shield'-genioplasty addresses a deep mentolabial fold. It's because the b-point is too close to the roots of the mandibular incisors, you simply can't cut that far up.

What a genioplasty can do is that it can help easening a mentolabial fold but it can't fill it out. To easen a mentolabial fold with a genioplasty you'll have to vertically elongate the chin-bone.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: normie_joe, Lawton88, copefuel and 1 other person
The only ways to address a deep mentolabial fold are,

Mandibular advancement
Mentalis muscle repositioning
Dermal Fat Graft
Screwing a bone block graft into b-point
Implant

No cuts of genioplasties, not even the 'Triaca chin shield'-genioplasty addresses a deep mentolabial fold. It's because the b-point is too close to the roots of the mandibular incisors, you simply can't cut that far up.

What a genioplasty can do is that it can help easening a mentolabial fold but it can't fill it out. To easen a mentolabial fold with a genioplasty you'll have to vertically elongate the chin-bone.
Thank you for the detailed input, just to be sure when you say Implants help you mean they do by vertically elongating the chin bone or are there implants that actually go high up to the "b-point"?

• +1
Reactions: Silver
Thank you for the detailed input, just to be sure when you say Implants help you mean they do by vertically elongating the chin bone or are there implants that actually go high up to the "b-point"?
Well to actually target the soft tissue mentolabial fold and to fill it out if it's "deep", you'll need to target the hard tissue b-point. The b-point is however too close to the roots of the mandibular incisors. You can therefore not perform any osteotomies that high up, all you're left with is placing alloplastics/grafts or repositioning of the mentalis muscle.

I've seen surgeons place a direct bone block graft to the hard tissue b-point as part of a genioplasty and it has helped with filling out the soft tissue b-point (mentolabial fold). It should be the same for implants. If you augment your chin with implants, you'll have to have them also extend further up, so they reach the hard tissue b-point to target the deep mentolabial fold. But, I don't know whether this is safe, I'm thinking about the longevity and whether the implant edge will start digging into your gums or not in the future.

Also never do implants if you want to vertically elongate the chin-bone, only osteotomies for this.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: StrongChin
This post is so high IQ that I gave up on understanding it jfl
Mirin the post and effort btw OP

• JFL
Reactions: bleachmaxxer69
Well to actually target the soft tissue mentolabial fold and to fill it out if it's "deep", you'll need to target the hard tissue b-point. The b-point is however too close to the roots of the mandibular incisors. You can therefore not perform any osteotomies that high up, all you're left with is placing alloplastics/grafts or repositioning of the mentalis muscle.

I've seen surgeons place a direct bone block graft to the hard tissue b-point as part of a genioplasty and it has helped with filling out the soft tissue b-point (mentolabial fold). It should be the same for implants. If you augment your chin with implants, you'll have to have them also extend further up, so they reach the hard tissue b-point to target the deep mentolabial fold. But, I don't know whether this is safe, I'm thinking about the longevity and whether the implant edge will start digging into your gums or not in the future.

Also never do implants if you want to vertically elongate the chin-bone, only osteotomies for this.
Mirin the knowledge tbh
I'd like to know your opinion about having Bimax for aesthetic reason if you have a normal occlusion, does it make sense or nah?
I read on other posts that it can work but it's obviously dangerous cause it's still a fucking bimax

wtf am i supposed to do
20230225 223039

• +1
Reactions: normie_joe
Take my words with a grain of salt cause I'm no expert: Your jaw seems recessed and considering you have misaligned lips it seems you have an overbite. Your face also seems forward grown but it definetly lacks vertical height. Applying my theory I'd say that your side profile looks weak because your mentolabial fold is horizontally retruded and is also deep, thus I think that jaw surgery/ bimax should improve your looks (again take this with a grain of salt).

I made this two morphs:

Morph1 Morph2
In the first one I only advanced your mandible, giving it more definition on the ramus and I aligned your lips, in the second one I made your lower third taller to give more height to your face, I lowered your mouth a bit and increased the height of your chin and mandible. I also changed a bit the shape of your chin in both morphs because it seems better to me, but your real chin is already kinda nice tbh.
Sorry but I don't actually know if a bimax could actually give you this look, ask someone wiser for this. Wish you the best

Last edited:
  • Love it
Reactions: gribsufer1
Take my words with a grain of salt cause I'm no expert: Your jaw seems recessed and considering you have misaligned lips it seems you have an overbite. Your face also seems forward grown but it definetly lacks vertical height. Applying my theory I'd say that your side profile looks weak because your mentolabial fold is horizontally retruded and is also deep, thus I think that jaw surgery/ bimax should improve your looks (again take this with a grain of salt).

I made this two morphs:

View attachment 2104134View attachment 2104135
In the first one I only advanced your mandible, giving it more definition on the ramus and I aligned your lips, in the second one I made your lower third taller to give more height to your face, I lowered your mouth a bit and increased the height of your chin and mandible. I also changed a bit the shape of your chin in both morphs because it seems better to me, but your real chin is already kinda nice tbh.
Sorry but I don't actually know if a bimax could actually give you this look, ask someone wiser for this. Wish you the best
you too thank u ! i think the first morph mogs , if i can get that in a way that looks natural i will be really happy with that

• +1
Reactions: normie_joe
How over for me?
Snapchat 866960137