Mewing Dangers TMJ/TMD Occlusion

Carbonate

Carbonate

Iron

The stomatognathic system is an anatomical system comprising the teeth, bone, joints, and associated soft tissues. Mewing is dangerous because it interferes/changes a person's natural occlusion. When one is adopting a different tongue posture it will naturally also change surrounding structures. The occlusion of the teeth will be different which will effect how the surrounding muscles function at rest which will effect the condyles of the jaw which will effect the temporomandibular joint. This is dangerous and the risks of meddling with the natural function of the stomatognathic system has not been communicated alongside the phenomenon of mewing. The relationship between TMJ/TMD and dental occlusion have been established, there is controversy whether it is causal. There is a significant amount of anecdotal evidence to the sensitivity of the stomatognathic system, subtle changes in the bite from dentists and orthodontists have left people disabled, in chronic pain and without any sufficient treatment.

Not only does mewing attempt to change the posture of the tongue it also seeks to change how the teeth come together. Conflicting advice from the originators increases the confusion of their followers on how to adopt the practice. The most egregious advice given is to "keep the molars in light contact". Any dental professional with experience dealing with TMJ disorders would be in shock hearing such advice.

In the majority of cases when damage to stomatognathic system sets in it is irreversible, treatments consist of symptomatic management through splint therapies or permanent changes to the teeth. Usually one can not go back to his/her initial healthy functioning. These risks/dangers of mewing are not made sufficiently clear to audiences.

• +1
Reactions: Kroker
idk I was at a doctor who told me how to swallow correctly and where to place your tongue so it probably is legit.

myofunctional therapy

The stomatognathic system is an anatomical system comprising the teeth, bone, joints, and associated soft tissues. Mewing is dangerous because it interferes/changes a person's natural occlusion. When one is adopting a different tongue posture it will naturally also change surrounding structures. The occlusion of the teeth will be different which will effect how the surrounding muscles function at rest which will effect the condyles of the jaw which will effect the temporomandibular joint. This is dangerous and the risks of meddling with the natural function of the stomatognathic system has not been communicated alongside the phenomenon of mewing. The relationship between TMJ/TMD and dental occlusion have been established, there is controversy whether it is causal. There is a significant amount of anecdotal evidence to the sensitivity of the stomatognathic system, subtle changes in the bite from dentists and orthodontists have left people disabled, in chronic pain and without any sufficient treatment.

Not only does mewing attempt to change the posture of the tongue it also seeks to change how the teeth come together. Conflicting advice from the originators increases the confusion of their followers on how to adopt the practice. The most egregious advice given is to "keep the molars in light contact". Any dental professional with experience dealing with TMJ disorders would be in shock hearing such advice.

In the majority of cases when damage to stomatognathic system sets in it is irreversible, treatments consist of symptomatic management through splint therapies or permanent changes to the teeth. Usually one can not go back to his/her initial healthy functioning. These risks/dangers of mewing are not made sufficiently clear to audiences.
I see but Dr Mew has evidence suggesting that mewing can positvley impact the malloclusion and the overall aesthetic of the teeth , and that it helps with the airway and breathing. What are your thoughts on jaw exercisers such as jawzrsize?

i felt cracking sounds in my left jaw when i mewed with molars in contact

now that i mew without molars in contact, the sounds are kinda gone

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 15827
I see but Dr Mew has evidence suggesting that mewing can positvley impact the malloclusion and the overall aesthetic of the teeth , and that it helps with the airway and breathing. What are your thoughts on jaw exercisers such as jawzrsize?
Horrible

k so basically continue mouthbreathe :feelswat::feelswat:

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1
ive been telling this for ages ppl dont wanna hear it