MSE asymmetry

DownUnderCopeAttack

DownUnderCopeAttack

Iron
So I got MSE, and I am noticing my left side i has expanded more than the right.
On top of that, my left nasal passage is bigger than my right.

Just thought people in here would be interested in noting that. Is it bad? not really/I don’t care. I did notice it when looking in the mirror though.

• +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369 and Giorgio
Yeah its known and almost always happen for what i heard. WHere exactly did u noticed the assimetry?

My tongue noticed the distance between my bottom teeth and my top teeth is greater on my left side.
Looking in the mirror I also noticed.
i also believe that part of it is because I am right handed, and mainly use my right side to chew.

Oh well. jaw surgery next.

Last edited:
@DownUnderCopeAttack was it symmetrical before? how much mm expansion did you get?

this is what i’m worried about @Tasty17 @jfbjfb

quite common with MSE but apparently the new FME device can prevent this if installed correctly or even correct asymmetry, is what i’ve been told. it’s still new so idk for sure

• +1
Reactions: jfbjfb
So I got MSE, and I am noticing my left side i has expanded more than the right.
On top of that, my left nasal passage is bigger than my right.

Just thought people in here would be interested in noting that. Is it bad? not really/I don’t care. I did notice it when looking in the mirror though.
Some questions to ask to better know your case:

- How many mm can you expand considering your lower jaw?
- Do you have a plan for the mandible?
- Have you gotten the regular MSE and the arms are still in after splitting the suture?
- Have you had surgical intervention to cut the suture?
- Was your palate initially canted a bit?
- How was your MSE placed? (considering scans or not)
- How many and how long are the screws?
- Are the screws tilted or purely perpendicular to the roof of the mouth?

As @nobodyspecial369 mentions, the FME device does not exacerbate asymmetries due to its superior placing and having no arms pushing teeth. Asymmetries are never desirable, if you are worried about them I would stop turning or do some turns backwards.

- Have you gotten the regular MSE and the arms are still in after splitting the suture?

As @nobodyspecial369 mentions, the FME device does not exacerbate asymmetries due to its superior placing and having no arms pushing teeth. Asymmetries are never desirable, if you are worried about them I would stop turning or do some turns backwards.
Who are the FME providers we can find? Or do most MSE providers also use FME?
What does FME stand for so when I call and ask?

wait till it sets in, splitting the skull like this is not gonna show immediate results. Everyone has slight asymmetry.

Who are the FME providers we can find? Or do most MSE providers also use FME?
What does FME stand for so when I call and ask?
FME stands for Facegenics Maxillary Expander, and it is a variation of the traditional MSE.

mse-progress-suture-split-this-one-is-actually-an-fme-v0-ypp58e0p33ba1.jpg

The design differs given that it has no arms tied to the molars, longer screws, and it is placement is customized in accordance to your scans. It is said to be an improvement over regular MSEs because of the previous reasons, which in turn yield less asymmetry issues, a more controlled and parallel expansion, and overall less complications.

It is hard to know beforehand the FME providers you could find, it greatly depends on your location. On top of that, remember that FME is a novel device in some sense. Some orthos offer similar options yet they name it differently. Here in Spain they sometimes refer to it by the name of BAME (Bone Anchored Maxillary Expander), power expander, simply palatal expander or MARPE (Miniscrew Assisted Rapid Palatal Expander) since some view all MSE variations as a subclass of MARPE.

Not all orthos experienced in expanding palates are aware of FME, and I would say most are not. In your case I would call them asking if they provide expansion. Some will say this is only possible for under 20 years old patients. Completely disregard them as they still have to learn what a piezoelectric is. For the ones that offer adult expansion, then make sure it is skeletal expansion and not dental expansion. And only once they pass this second filter, I would then inquire about the expansion device as such.

I followed this approach in my city and about 30% of orthos offered expansion, 20% the skeletal route for adults (they were all familiar with MSEs) and 10% had been working with MSE variations. It is a numbers game at the end of the day.

The asymmetry question is controversial. Some orthos claim that any asymmetry is an exacerbation of existing asymmetry and not caused by the expansion per se, other will say that it is produced by poorly placed or an inaccurately manufactured custom device.

There are ostensibly good arguments on different sides, but for now there is no conclusive evidence so I take everything I hear with a pinch of salt. This goes double for the FME device which has a bunch of big claims from the manufacturer which aren't backed up by real evidence. It's very easy to make a PDF or a Powerpoint presentation with fancy features and big talking bullet points; delivering a system that repeatedly gets solid results over time on the battlefield is a whole other ball game.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901

These are tough questions.

My doc says he expanded me 10mm. It’s 12 mm screw. I can’t expand any farther. I don t know the exact I could have. All I know is the ortho told me to stop after about the third month of turning once a day.

i considered SFOT, but initially I didn’t have a plan. I should have prepared one to be honest.

i got an MSE with arms. I split. Kept tur turning, then was told to stop. got the arms removed. now just the middle part is in.

No Surgical intervention. he used a pzeo

i don’t know

scans taken, custom appliance.

8 screws. I don’t know how long they are

they are in different directions. Don’t think they are perpendicular.