My surgeon wants to eyeball it for my genioplasty - Is this normal?

wateriswet

wateriswet

MD
My main problem with my face is that I lack vertical chin height. I would definitely benefit from horizontal advancement as well although I personally believe vertical height is a lot more impactful when it comes to facial aesthetics overall. As for bimax I'm absolutely sure it wouldn't work for me since I already almost have K-9 dog tier forward growth, my bite is also perfect, I really just lack chin tbh (either that or my forehead is recessed)

Anyway, finally saved up enough for genio over the summer. There's this surgeon I have been following for a long time now (a few people here recommended him as well as my own research and checking his results on social media he seemed pretty insane) I had my consultation with him last week and to be honest it really wasn't what I expected. He welcomed me, I told him I'm here for genioplasty I emailed etc etc. He tells me to open my mouth and bite, looks at it for 2 seconds, told me to show side profile, looked at it for 2 seconds as well and mumbled "sure let's do it" ??????? I thought it was gonna be a whole ass discussion about what I need, how many mms, vertical vs horizontal, am I a bimax candidate or not, x-rays, genio vs implants, what should I expect etc. I didn't know what to say I was like "ok, I guess?" And he starts talking about med school, starts giving me advice and shit. I asked him how many mms and he says we'll decide that on the operating room, don't worry about it - he said this with such a nonchalant tone I legit thought he was joking and laughed (he'd made some jokes earlier so I was just going along with it).

Don't get me wrong I did like that he was super chill about it but at the same time it felt like he legit didn't give a fuck tbh. Maybe it's because genio is nothing to him and it's super easy, but for me it's literally the one and only plastic surgery I'll ever get so to me it's pretty much life or death. We talked about the date, where it's gonna be, and after that he legit wouldn't talk about the surgery at all, just chatting. At one point he even said "why do you want this surgery anyway, you don't get bitches?" JFL. After I insisted on asking questions and trying to get at least some sort of a plan he said "ok, we'll do your x-rays and discuss when you're at the hospital for your anesthesiology exam (which is one day before surgery)" and I was like ok I guess.

It's supposed to be in a week (he said it's the only day he has available in like 2 months since he's going abroad) and I'm going through with it, haven't paid yet though. What do you guys think? Is it really not a big deal?

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Skry, zura, RealSurgerymax and 2 others
What country is this happening in.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6128

My surgeon wants to eyeball it for my genioplasty - Is this normal?'​

lol

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: traplurker, Skry, SunShine Senpai and 1 other person
From my understanding it should be a very precise process. I have seen many pictures of surgery plans and images of precise mm advancements, build like a blueprint basically. Do not go through something like this that will change your entire face forever if you aren't sure.

• +1
Reactions: wateriswet
May be normal but definitely not a good approach

@RealSurgerymax

From my understanding it should be a very precise process. I have seen many pictures of surgery plans and images of precise mm advancements, build like a blueprint basically. Do not go through something like this that will change your entire face forever if you aren't sure.
I've heard some people here mention that genio advancement can be decided on the operating room unlike bimax - I also remember there was some guy on reddit who got bimax, he wasn't even supposed to get genio with it but his surgeon decided on the spot and gave him some genio advancement as well. Idk but you only get one face at the end of the day

Fuck I really can't decide, the timing is perfect too since my school is starting in 3 weeks after the date we planned and it would be impossible to get it during the school year. Would be really nice if someone who got genio could comment on the topic

Tagging some experts to weigh in on the topic

@Chinlet Ascension
@TakaRyo
@Lonenely sigma
@malicieusss
@ToTheTop
@RoyaleWithCheese
@VenatorLuparius
@UnseasonedChicken
@Tallooksmaxxer
@valhalar
@NoPainNoChick

I consulted with a surgeon who said this. I decided to go with the surgeon who took a more planned, mathematical approach, despite it costing significantly more. This seems to be the attitude among some older surgeons who don't like computer simulations/imaging. I personally wouldn't trust him, even though I haven't actually seen a lot of bad results/heard a lot of bad stories about this.

My main problem with my face is that I lack vertical chin height. I would definitely benefit from horizontal advancement as well although I personally believe vertical height is a lot more impactful when it comes to facial aesthetics overall.
Agreed. Short chin = feminine, weak look.

If you don't live in the area, and are just going to Turkey for cheap surgery, don't do it, IMO. Osteotomies could give you permanent nerve damage if done poorly. It's worth it saving more money to go to a better surgeon, even if it takes a few more years of saving.

• +1

@Chinlet Ascension
@TakaRyo
@Lonenely sigma
@malicieusss
@ToTheTop
@RoyaleWithCheese
@VenatorLuparius
@UnseasonedChicken
@Tallooksmaxxer
@valhalar
@NoPainNoChick
Thanks for not tagging me

Anyway to answer your question if you really trust him and just want to get it done then go for it but if you really want to get the best results you should do a CT scan and get a simulation to determine how many mms you need to get the desired result
Also try to look for similar cases and a result that suits your face because you don’t want to end up with a bad result unlike implants it is hard to reverse and i think that your doctor will not give you what you are looking for so you probably should look for another surgeon

• +1
It is both normal and bad.

• +1
Reactions: RoyaleWithCheese and Chinlet Ascension
Don't let him touch you wtf

I don’t like the overuse of the gynocentric term “red flag” but in this case it applies. What kind of surgeon does that? Oh yeah, A turkish one. Not a huge surprise. But standard would be to get pictures taken, dental impressions, and radiographic imagery before surgical planning. I’m not saying this guy will butcher you. But it definitely would give me pause…

• +1
Normal as in frequent. Bad as in bad, proper genioplasty obviously needs planning by the surgeon and feedback from the patient.

• +1

@Chinlet Ascension
@TakaRyo
@Lonenely sigma
@malicieusss
@ToTheTop
@RoyaleWithCheese
@VenatorLuparius
@UnseasonedChicken
@Tallooksmaxxer
@valhalar
@NoPainNoChick
My genio was planned prior, once I woke up from surgery the doc said he did longer measurements than planned as the plates couldn't fit for the planned length. He literally said don't worry though it came out better than expected.

Genio actually went extremely well, but not sure if I should be thinking 'what the actual fuck' when hearing this.

In general, just go off their reputation and history in the industry. If they have a long list of successful surgeries and good reviews online then meet them in person. If you then get a good feel for them during consultation then it should be a good idea to consider them for your surgery.

• +1
Reactions: zura and wateriswet
It's normal. The simulations aren't 100% accurate and neither is the surgery, so it makes since to base the genio on the actual result of the surgery (it's completed before the genio is done). Like if he's doing 3D planning for the rest of the surgery, do you think he's incapable of planning a genio? Of course not. It's his preference because he thinks it provides better results.

This is what my surgeon did. Also Turkish. I'm happy with the genio because my chin implant had pushed my chin pad down under the chin, chin ptosis, and the genio was able to restore the chin pad to its proper position. The implant made it impossible to properly plan the genio. Luckily my surgeon had experience improvising.

Although "durrrrrrrr Turkey bad!" is a pretty compelling argument.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: zura, Chinlet Ascension and wateriswet
My main problem with my face is that I lack vertical chin height. I would definitely benefit from horizontal advancement as well although I personally believe vertical height is a lot more impactful when it comes to facial aesthetics overall. As for bimax I'm absolutely sure it wouldn't work for me since I already almost have K-9 dog tier forward growth, my bite is also perfect, I really just lack chin tbh (either that or my forehead is recessed)

Anyway, finally saved up enough for genio over the summer. There's this surgeon I have been following for a long time now (a few people here recommended him as well as my own research and checking his results on social media he seemed pretty insane) I had my consultation with him last week and to be honest it really wasn't what I expected. He welcomed me, I told him I'm here for genioplasty I emailed etc etc. He tells me to open my mouth and bite, looks at it for 2 seconds, told me to show side profile, looked at it for 2 seconds as well and mumbled "sure let's do it" ??????? I thought it was gonna be a whole ass discussion about what I need, how many mms, vertical vs horizontal, am I a bimax candidate or not, x-rays, genio vs implants, what should I expect etc. I didn't know what to say I was like "ok, I guess?" And he starts talking about med school, starts giving me advice and shit. I asked him how many mms and he says we'll decide that on the operating room, don't worry about it - he said this with such a nonchalant tone I legit thought he was joking and laughed (he'd made some jokes earlier so I was just going along with it).

Don't get me wrong I did like that he was super chill about it but at the same time it felt like he legit didn't give a fuck tbh. Maybe it's because genio is nothing to him and it's super easy, but for me it's literally the one and only plastic surgery I'll ever get so to me it's pretty much life or death. We talked about the date, where it's gonna be, and after that he legit wouldn't talk about the surgery at all, just chatting. At one point he even said "why do you want this surgery anyway, you don't get bitches?" JFL. After I insisted on asking questions and trying to get at least some sort of a plan he said "ok, we'll do your x-rays and discuss when you're at the hospital for your anesthesiology exam (which is one day before surgery)" and I was like ok I guess.

It's supposed to be in a week (he said it's the only day he has available in like 2 months since he's going abroad) and I'm going through with it, haven't paid yet though. What do you guys think? Is it really not a big deal?
Yes some surgeons do that and still get good results it just depends if you trust him fully, this is how a lot of people also end up extremely disappointed

• +1
He literally said don't worry though it came out better than expected.

Genio actually went extremely well, but not sure if I should be thinking 'what the actual fuck' when hearing this.
Surgeons say this when nothing "dangerous" happens during the operation (bleeding problems, adverse bodily effects, infection, etc.). Plenty of surgeons say the operation went well during an operation which will later require a revision for the original desired effect.

Surgeons say this when nothing "dangerous" happens during the operation (bleeding problems, adverse bodily effects, infection, etc.). Plenty of surgeons say the operation went well during an operation which will later require a revision for the original desired effect.
Possibly mine went very well however (I am 10 months post surgery)

Yes some surgeons do that and still get good results it just depends if you trust him fully, this is how a lot of people also end up extremely disappointed
I dm'd you disclosing the name and social media of the surgeon, what would you do if you were me? It's literally supposed to be in a week but I can cancel

I dm'd you disclosing the name and social media of the surgeon, what would you do if you were me? It's literally supposed to be in a week but I can cancel
I’d go to Giant for optimum customization, every time

• +1
Reactions: mvp2v1
I wouldn't let this guy near my face.To him you're nothing more than a bag of cash and low hanging fruits. He's not going to put in some efforts and planning regarding your surgery.

Give it a rest and go see someone else. He can't botch you (because it's a genio) but he won't give a satisfying result and waste your hard earned money.

You need to have at least 2 or 3 sessions before any surgery :

-Initial consulation
-Post X-rays session to examine your bones and determine how much movement and what procedures (sliding solo or sliding + vertical)
-Pre-surgery session which is basically a summary of all what was said before.

It takes way more than a week. Run away from this motherfucker who just wants to buy the latest Mercedes-Benz SUV.

• +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369 and wateriswet
I wouldn't let this guy near my face.To him you're nothing more than a bag of cash and low hanging fruits. He's not going to put in some efforts and planning regarding your surgery.

Give it a rest and go see someone else. He can't botch you (because it's a genio) but he won't give a satisfying result and waste your hard earned money.

You need to have at least 2 or 3 sessions before any surgery :

-Initial consulation
-Post X-rays session to examine your bones and determine how much movement and what procedures (sliding solo or sliding + vertical)
-Pre-surgery session which is basically a summary of all what was said before.

It takes way more than a week. Run away from this motherfucker who just wants to buy the latest Mercedes-Benz SUV.
Ok that was the final comment I needed after I went back and forth about getting it this whole weekend. I had to decide before Monday and I did.

I'm cancelling it. You're completely right and might have just saved me from a terrible decision. He rushed me during the consultation and was uninterested to have a discussion with me overall. He might be a good surgeon and obviously pre-surgery plans might not be followed 100% in every case but "eyeballing it" is just arrogant and unprofessional regardless of how simple the procedure is.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I'll let you know when I do finally get the surgery with someone else but for now I'll have to keep coping with being chinless smh

• +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369, VenatorLuparius and Deleted member 33579
Take before and afters n post it. GL

• +1
Ok that was the final comment I needed after I went back and forth about getting it this whole weekend. I had to decide before Monday and I did.

I'm cancelling it. You're completely right and might have just saved me from a terrible decision. He rushed me during the consultation and was uninterested to have a discussion with me overall. He might be a good surgeon and obviously pre-surgery plans might not be followed 100% in every case but "eyeballing it" is just arrogant and unprofessional regardless of how simple the procedure is.

Thanks to everyone who commented. I'll let you know when I do finally get the surgery with someone else but for now I'll have to keep coping with being chinless smh
Genio's are more art than science. My maxillo surgeon is a bit autistic and doesn't like to do them for this reason. with Bimax he says he has specific numbers, anchor points, alignment metrics going into the surgery to adhere to. Genio there's no formula or perfect science behind them, so he has to get an idea of what you want adn then try and match it up during the surgery. He went to ivy league, does charity reconstruction surgeries on people in 3rd world shitholes, so he def has some credibility here. I don't think your guy was bullshitting you, but rushing the consult would turn me off. My doc has had way more consultations with me than I paid for, just to make sure im happy and comfortable. Tells me I don't have to do the surg if I dont want.

• +1
Reactions: wateriswet and RoyaleWithCheese
Genio's are more art than science. My maxillo surgeon is a bit autistic and doesn't like to do them for this reason. with Bimax he says he has specific numbers, anchor points, alignment metrics going into the surgery to adhere to. Genio there's no formula or perfect science behind them, so he has to get an idea of what you want adn then try and match it up during the surgery. He went to ivy league, does charity reconstruction surgeries on people in 3rd world shitholes, so he def has some credibility here. I don't think your guy was bullshitting you, but rushing the consult would turn me off. My doc has had way more consultations with me than I paid for, just to make sure im happy and comfortable. Tells me I don't have to do the surg if I dont want.
True. When I had my genio done, there was a surgical plan, but my surgeon also knew what I wanted based on pictures I showed him and he said he’d make adjustments as needed to achieve my goal.

• +1
Reactions: nobodyspecial369 and OldcelMillennial