Neck Insertion Revisited: The Throat–Mandible Point

thecel

thecel

narrow-orbits brachy-skull ogre
I wrote a thread back in June 2020 about the location of the foramen magnum (or "neck insertion" for short — credits to @ Bewusst). The foramen magnum is the hole at the bottom of the skull that the neck attaches to. The essential idea: forward neck insertion is bad and backward neck insertion is good.

Examples ranging from very forward (bad) to very backward (good):

Skeletal neck scull 5499032
37126281 human skull x ray image isolated on black
Human skeleton head and neck 2BEH6KG
Very detailed and scientifically correct human skull side view on EFB70P

Each of these skull examples have different amounts of forward growth. To determine neck insertion, look at where the top of the neck is located compared to the condyle (the condyle is the hinge point of the jaw) or the ear canal hole. Both of these points work; just pick one. I'll use the ear canal hole.
  1. In the 1st pic, the ear canal hole is near the back of the cervical spine. This indicates a very forward neck insertion.
  2. In the 2nd one, it's almost centered on it.
  3. In the 3rd, it's at the front end.
  4. In the 4th, the ear canal hole is completely in front of the cervical spine. This indicates a very backward neck insertion.

The Throat–Mandible Point

The throat–mandible point is where the throat meets the jawline in a person's side profile. It's a very important thing related to neck insertion. In most cases, the more forward a person's jawline is in relation to the front of the neck, the better it looks. The ideal is a jawline that only barely overlaps the neck, creating a "sharp cliff overhang" appearance.

E6d561d919de9238d37cba03cf740bf0

The woman above has good forward growth and also a rearward-positioned neck insertion. See how little of the mandible overlaps the neck. About 2/3 of her jawline protrudes away from her neck.

31491442 side view portrait of a young african american man

Now look at this dude. He has good forward growth, but his side profile is ruined by his forward neck insertion. His neck is so forward that less than half of the length of his jawline projects in front of his throat. And taking head posture into account, his real throat–mandible point is even worse. If he had proper posture, like ~75% of his jawline would be overlapping his neck.

Examples of good neck insertion:

Margot Robbie Unexpected Side Part
E6d561d919de9238d37cba03cf740bf0

Examples of average neck insertion:

Jawline contouring 1
Article 2325054 19CBD701000005DC 442 964x1300

Examples of poor neck insertion:

Maxresdefault
31491442 side view portrait of a young african american man

See the difference that neck insertion makes with these 2 men viewed from the same angle:

Close up profile side view portrait his nice attractive calm content brunet bearded guy wearin

You can clearly see how the 1st guy's neck is connected to the center of his skull while the 2nd guy's neck is connected close to the back of his skull.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • So Sad
Reactions: triggr, RAMU KAKA, Krakowski and 37 others
CAGE
Skeletal neck scull 5499032
Human skeleton head and neck 2BEH6KG

• JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Sushifart, Deleted member 49008, RAMU KAKA and 16 others
Is it fixable?

• +1
Reactions: Slob, Deleted member, Growth Plate and 2 others
It doesn't seem like something fixable tbh.
That's what I was thinking, was wondering if maybe exercising or better posture could eventually straighten the neck. It seems like a lot of males have that forward neck look because of the Adams Apple, even this picture everyone posts.. maybe he's leaning forward tho.

Attachments

• ee0e70b2ae91f7209f3a78247986e280.jpg
    ee0e70b2ae91f7209f3a78247986e280.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 254
  • +1
Reactions: thecel
I have to say, from what I've seen, many of your threads are high-effort but ultimately don't make sense. This isn't an insertion issue.

Men literally just have more hyoid tissue, larger submandibular glands, etc.

You will never see a man with a submental like Margot Robbie, even if they have better fw growth.

• +1
Reactions: dannydipss, callisto, Tallooksmaxxer and 18 others
So does this also mean that a backwards neck is correlated to a flat occiput and vice-versa?

• +1
Reactions: Slob and thecel
thanks for ruining my day

• +1
  • So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 43403, Slob, Mewton and 3 others
  • JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Lookologist003, Deleted member 43403, 5'7 zoomer and 9 others
  • +1
Reactions: StrangerDanger
I'd call this one a write off bro, having a thin neck like a female isn't ideal, a thick forward neck is masculine.

Attachments

• cls6pe5wsf941.jpg
    cls6pe5wsf941.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 9be382d5f5027dfe356167a63eba6d9a.jpg
    9be382d5f5027dfe356167a63eba6d9a.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 240
  • Hmm...
  • JFL
Reactions: datboijj and thecel
I'd call this one a write off bro, having a thin neck like a female isn't ideal, a thick forward neck is masculine.
Thick BACKWARD neck is masculine.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Lookologist003, 5'7 zoomer, Slob and 8 others
See the difference that neck insertion makes with these 2 men viewed from the same angle:

View attachment 971732View attachment 971733

You can clearly see how the 1st guy's neck is connected to the center of his skull while the 2nd guy's neck is connected close to the back of his skull.
If anything, this just proves that forward neck can be more ideal.. that 2nd neck looks horrible, like a palm tree, he'd snap like a twig. The 1st neck looks tougher and more masculine, more female appeal.

• +1
I mean thats common sense but if you cant offer a solution this thread is useless

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Growth Plate, .👽., Deleted member 8832 and 1 other person
I wrote a thread back in June 2020 about the location of the foramen magnum (or "neck insertion" for short — credits to @ Bewusst). The foramen magnum is the hole at the bottom of the skull that the neck attaches to. The essential idea: forward neck insertion is bad and backward neck insertion is good.

View attachment 971641View attachment 971643View attachment 971642View attachment 971644

Each of these skull examples have different amounts of forward growth. To determine neck insertion, look at where the top of the neck is located compared to the condyle (the condyle is the hinge point of the jaw) or the ear canal hole. Both of these points work; just pick one. I'll use the ear canal hole.
  1. In the 1st pic, the ear canal hole is near the back of the cervical spine. This indicates a very forward neck insertion.
  4. In the 4th, the ear canal hole is completely in front of the cervical spine. This indicates a very backward neck insertion.

The throat–mandible point is where the throat meets the jawline in a person's side profile. It's a very important thing related to neck insertion. In most cases, the more forward a person's jawline is in relation to the front of the neck, the better it looks. The ideal is a jawline that only barely overlaps the neck, creating a "sharp cliff overhang" appearance.

View attachment 971683

The woman above has good forward growth and also a rearward-positioned neck insertion. See how little of the mandible overlaps the neck. About 2/3 of her jawline protrudes away from her neck.

View attachment 971687

Now look at this dude. He has good forward growth, but his side profile is ruined by his forward neck insertion. His neck is so forward that less than half of the length of his jawline projects in front of his throat. And taking head posture into account, his real throat–mandible point is even worse. If he had proper posture, like ~75% of his jawline would be overlapping his neck.

View attachment 971706View attachment 971708View attachment 971683

View attachment 971710View attachment 971711View attachment 971714View attachment 971750

View attachment 971715View attachment 971687View attachment 971727

Every thread of yours is high IQ tbqh why don't you try and write scientific studies on the black pill ?

• JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: hairyballscel and thecel
If anything, this just proves that forward neck can be more ideal.. that 2nd neck looks horrible, like a palm tree, he'd snap like a twig. The 1st neck looks tougher and more masculine, more female appeal.
What if the 2nd guy had a thicker neck?

Close up profile side view portrait his nice attractive calm content brunet bearded guy wearin
Thiccened

Before:

• Love it
Reactions: Krakowski
They all have the same insertion, its all postural bro.

• +1
  • Hmm...
  • JFL
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS, hairyballscel, thecel and 2 others
By the way all (healthy) babies have their neck's all the way at the back of their skull
I even felt it on my 4 year old niece her hyoid start literally at the back of her jaw
While even the most foreword grown adult has their hyoid at 3/4th of the jaw
Image result for baby skeleton adult

Image result for baby side profile

They all have the same insertion, its all postural bro.

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 12218
it's only fixable with implants

• JFL
Reactions: Agendum and thecel
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 16834, Deleted member 14280, Agendum and 2 others
Yes, it is, but it won't change the position of the neck insertion.
Yeah but is this really genetic? I don't think we're born with a forward head posture.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Slob, thecel and StrangerDanger
This guy's neck went back a little after working on his posture:

• +1
  • Woah
  • Hmm...
Reactions: thecel, Agendum, OOGABOOGA and 3 others
By the way all (healthy) babies have their neck's all the way at the back of their skull
I even felt it on my 4 year old niece her hyoid start literally at the back of her jaw
While even the most foreword grown adult has their hyoid at 3/4th of the jaw
Image result for baby skeleton adult

Image result for baby side profile
appreciate the high effort bro. Can't wait for the 12th

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: thecel and datboijj
I have to say, from what I've seen, many of your threads are high-effort but ultimately don't make sense. This isn't an insertion issue.

Men literally just have more hyoid tissue, larger submandibular glands, etc.

You will never see a man with a submental like Margot Robbie, even if they have better fw growth.
yea first thing i notice was the good examples are all foids

• +1
Reactions: Selinity, thecel and Ocelot

skeletal-neck-scull-5499032-jpg.971641
37126281-human-skull-x-ray-image-isolated-on-black-jpg.971643
human-skeleton-head-and-neck-2beh6kg-jpg.971642
very-detailed-and-scientifically-correct-human-skull-side-view-on-efb70p-jpg.971644

FUARK the 1st pic cervical spine is so far forward that even the gonions overlap with it from the side.

Last edited:

I think it's really just a matter of posture & development, rather than variation in the position of the foramen magnum. The position of the foramen magnum is largely determined by mechanical/anatomical factors (it has to reside in a specific area of the skull in order to enable upright walking -- in studying remains of ancient hominids the position of the foramen is used to determine how upright they walked), and thus there does not exist so much variation in it. Mainly the shape and size of the hole varies.

Consider that there are two different main movements occurring in craniofacial/postural development. Namely, CW neurocranial rotation and CCW splanchocranial rotation:

DS2hy7Z

Thus, in order to match the second guy, the first guy would have to properly extend his neck so as to rotate the neurocranium forwards, and simultaneously acquire opposite rotation of the jaws:

Interesting hypothesis nevertheless.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Krakowski, Agendum, PURE ARYAN GENETICS and 2 others
The neck being connected to the back of the skull is a DOM trait btw.

Especially when the neck is thick.

• +1
Consider that there are two different main movements occurring in craniofacial/postural development. Namely, CW neurocranial rotation and CCW splanchocranial rotation:

ds2hy7z-png.972212

Thus, in order to match the second guy, the first guy would have to properly extend his neck so as to rotate the neurocranium forwards, and simultaneously acquire opposite rotation of the jaws:

5675675675-gif.972236

The 1st guy is not supposed to have his cranium and jaws rotated like that. His neurocranium is already properly rotated in the original photo; his eyes are below the tops of his ears.

If he had an upward-tilted head, his eyes would be above the tops of his ears like the "before" pic here:

Https looksmaxmethreadsneck insertion revisited the throat mandible point293704post 4981

His eyes are below the middle of his ears in the morph. No one's ears are that high-set. It looks very unnatural.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 15305 and Deleted member 10913
I think it also makes the adams apple stick out more

• +1
good thread. most people i know have a shit insertion, i only know a couple people with the ideal insertion.

• +1
This defies the chimp rule. Chimp foramen magnum is superior to human foramen magnum.
Slide 9

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12218

View attachment 971641View attachment 971643View attachment 971642View attachment 971644

View attachment 971683

View attachment 971687

View attachment 971706View attachment 971708View attachment 971683

View attachment 971710View attachment 971711View attachment 971714View attachment 971750

View attachment 971715View attachment 971687View attachment 971727

which of the last two is correct. I would guess the second right..

• +1
His neurocranium is already properly rotated in the original photo
How could his neurocranium be properly rotated when not even his neck is fully straightened out? He stands to gain at least a dozen degrees of neurocranial rotation by fixing cervical slack.
His eyes are below the middle of his ears in the morph. No one's ears are that high-set. It looks very unnatural.
Agree. Don't mind the ears. They are just an unintended side effect of a quick photoshop job.

Last edited:
  • WTF
  • Love it
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 12218
Changing hyoid position and neck lift/liposuction should partially fix this right?

• +1
Reactions: Krakowski, thecel and Deleted member 10913
Changing hyoid position and neck lift/liposuction should partially fix this right?
YBP Best Exercise Chin tuck GIF 1

Chin tucking seems to do the job. In short term it's a looksmin. Long term it is supossed to help

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: thecel, neckcheck, Agendum and 1 other person
View attachment 973203
Chin tucking seems to do the job. In short term it's a looksmin. Long term it is supossed to help
You mean as an excercise like going forward and backward 10 minutes a day just like you would hardmew an hour a day or chewmaxx an hour?
And btw moving the chin forward should also improve the submental area right?

• +1
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 10913
if theres a legit solution to improving this then this is easily a BOTB thread

• +1
Reactions: thecel and OOGABOOGA
You mean as an excercise like going forward and backward 10 minutes a day just like you would hardmew an hour a day or chewmaxx an hour?
And btw moving the chin forward should also improve the submental area right?
Well you see this should be your natural position for most part. Obciously most of us cant go straight from black to white so it's a phase. Mewing requires les force while chin tucking. Excesive tongue muscle use is hereby reduced.

• +1
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 2729
Well you see this should be your natural position for most part. Obciously most of us cant go straight from black to white so it's a phase. Mewing requires les force while chin tucking. Excesive tongue muscle use is hereby reduced.
There is no way chintucked can become my new normal position since I look way worse than before

• +1
There is no way chintucked can become my new normal position since I look way worse than before
Well in long term it should help you. You are at home like most of the world right now. What better is there to do other then starting chintucking?

• +1
Reactions: thecel and Deleted member 2729
Well in long term it should help you. You are at home like most of the world right now. What better is there to do other then starting chintucking?
Yea I am using the time to research looksmaxxes thats true I will try this chintucking atleast at home/while alone ty

• +1
Shut up i checked and i wrote it correct.

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: clockwiseRotator, thecel and Deleted member 10913
when i mew its close ngl

when i get to 10% bf it will legit be like hers

• +1