People that are good at math are good at everything—except for memorization.

Eternal_

Eternal_

✝️
I find this very interesting and have had many experiences that lead me to this conclusion. In college, I took a biochemistry class with a few engineering friends who were geniuses that went through the whole calculus series, linear algebra, differential equations, etc with ZERO problems—yet they struggled a lot with the class while I barely ever studied and got a 4.0/A+. Meanwhile, math (and especially physics) doesn't come easy to me at all. I naturally pursued a field in medicine considering that rote/brute memorization is the basis for success in medicine and I did well in my field with little effort. They finished engineering and also did well in engineering.

I find being gifted with strong memorization to be very useful and practical but if I had a choice, I wish I would have been good at math considering that it is the absolute strongest predictor in success in nearly everything else in life. Even my IQ is only like 100-105 while my friends IQ is probably 120-130+

Last edited:
Not true. The following man was a genius at math (and many other domains), but he could recall books he read 15 years in the past verbatim as well. Ironically, he was terrible at recalling names.

People who are good at math likely have greater working memory though. So they'd be able to keep larger digits of numbers in their head and actively manipulate them to apply variables or constants from math formulas.

Tracks with my experience as well. I was great at math, physics etc. but I struggled with memorization.

• +1
Reactions: Eternal_
Not true. The following man was a genius at math (and many other domains), but he could recall books he read 15 years in the past verbatim as well. Ironically, he was terrible at recalling names.

Ok but this random ass nigga isn’t proof of anything. Also, working memory is definitely not the type of memory I’m talking about—as you surely know—albeit it’s definitely true that math oriented people have a robust active working memory.

Ok but this random ass nigga isn’t proof of anything.
True, but I don't know why you'd say that when your original assertion was entirely based on your own, unverifiable anecdotes.

True, but I don't know why you'd say that when your original assertion was entirely based on your own, unverifiable anecdotes.
Well, because I prefaced this thread with emphasizing that they were personal experiences. You on the other hand came in with an authoritative tone and a Wikipedia article.

“False because achkshually” type shit

• Hmm...
Reactions: Alexanderr
Well, because I prefaced this thread with emphasizing that they were personal experiences. You on the other hand came in with an authoritative tone and a Wikipedia article.

Are you alright?

She said Lord forgive me, I said nah I'm busy
Don't avoid the question. Are you truly alright? These were your two most recent posts, seems very conflicting.
Repent and stop telling people to mindlessly sin. This is an evil thing to do and you’re making a mockery out of Christianity
I just don't understand it. I hate the world far too much to kill myself. I want to live to spite people and see no reason for them to leave it and for them to then take joy in my suicide. No thanks.

I will continue to live and degrade and ridicule women in their tik-tok comments, twitter posts, and all other forms of social media. I will live to spite women and show the world the vile beasts of nature that they are.

Im good in math but suck in memorising

• +1
Reactions: Eternal_
Don't avoid the question. Are you truly alright? These were your two most recent posts, seems very conflicting.
Often times I joke, other times (primarily when discussing my faith) I am serious. Who knew that a persons behavior can be dynamic. Crazy

Often times I joke, other times (primarily when discussing my faith) I am serious. Who knew that a persons behavior can be dynamic. Crazy
Some a lot more than others, evidently. Nevertheless, are you alright?

Why tf would I not be alright bruh?
Because you got weirdly offended at my initial post, for a thread that didn't (to me) seem serious to begin with. I put the Wikipedia article there because JvN is an interesting guy with many feats, for anyone bothering to go through it but it seems you interpreted it differently.

Because you got weirdly offended at my initial post, for a thread that didn't (to me) seem serious to begin with. I put the Wikipedia article there because JvN is an interesting guy with many feats, for anyone bothering to go through it but it seems you interpreted it differently.
My response was supposed to be light hearted and in jest. This whole conversation hasn’t been serious. If I was offended, why would I be commenting Rap lyrics in between my replies?!

My response was supposed to be light hearted and in jest. This whole conversation hasn’t been serious. If I was offended, why would I be commenting Rap lyrics in between my replies?!
It's gotta be me then because this didn't strike me as light-hearted or in jest.

• +1
Reactions: gookcelriceR
doesn't sound right
to be good at math u have to memorize a certain amount of rules, theorems, formulas and know when to apply one
if u have good memorization, math would not be difficult at all for u
literally just learn the concept then apply the formulas as necessary

It's gotta be me then because this didn't strike me as light-hearted or in jest.
Yes it’s you and it obviously struck you the wrong way. Again, why would I randomly comment rap lyrics in a conversation where I’m supposedly offended?

Why is this unnecessary conversation still even going?

Again, why would I randomly comment rap lyrics in a conversation where I’m supposedly offended?
Seemed like a quick way to avoid answering the question to me, but I can't read your mind.
Why is this unnecessary conversation still even going?
See, the only time I ever hear this is when I'm arguing with someone and they don't quite want to end the conversation by giving me the last word but will allude to ending the 'pointless' conversation by responding.

Again, nothing you've said thus far struck me as lighthearted or in jest.