Study Guide (A simple manual to Anki) 📖

coispet

coispet

Tarantino Enjoyer
Before you read this, check out and go over the actual Anki manual which tells you all the basics about the app, how to use it etc.

Here is the manual:

What I’m explaining is a manual on how to use it for studying specific content and applying it to other study techniques

A brief summary of what Anki is, it’s a flashcard, spaced repetition tool which refreshes your brain of the content you’re trying to remember right before you forget it, remember it is not as effective when simply using it as a note/flashcard viewing tool, that is better done by physically handwritten notes/flashcards

Anki is mainly used to review your flashcards which means coming back to it after a while to refresh your memory of the content, after a card is learnt on Anki, depending on how well you remember it, it will come back as a review to make you remember it again and recall it

Anki’s gimmick is the interface, I will use one of my cards as an example:

IMG 0727

As you can see at the bottom, it has 4 options you’re able to click, this is after the cards are slightly matured and learnt, this is just a review, when reviewing it is showing the options Again (<10m meaning it will show again in that given time), Hard (1d meaning it will show again in a day), Good (2d meaning it will show again in two days) and Easy (3d meaning it will show again in three days)

These options help you decide how well you remember the card and when you want to see them again, with Anki you’re working at a confidence interval, it all is dependant on how well you’re able to recall a card

Some things to take into consideration when starting you use Anki, you must be consistent with it, if you’re not consistent and miss even a day, your reviews will pile up, and it’ll fuck up your memory of the cards you’ve previously memorised

Another thing is to look into algorithms which make your Anki experience easier and takes a load off the amount of reviews you’re completing daily, it is extremely difficult to explain and would defeat the purpose of the simple guide in the title, but I use the FSRS algorithm, after a while it’s taken 40% of my reviews down whilst keeping a retention rate of 0.9/90% for all my cards

Here’s the manual on FSRS (It comes as two parts, the scheduler and optimiser, the manual explains it more in detail):

Now if you’re a last minute crammer like me, worried that you haven’t written down any notes, typed up flashcards onto Anki, I’m gonna teach you how to do it all in five minutes, the only thing you need to do is use Anki consistently

1) You need an AI tool, I use ChatGPT, it’s the most common, if you have ChatGPT 4, you’re golden, if you don’t, make sure not to use content pages online that have images on there which are required for the content specification, since GPT 3.5 doesn’t allow you to paste in images, with GPT 4 you can upload PDF files that content images, I’d recommend you to pay the small monthly fee for even a month since this only takes five minutes, or borrow a friends login, I’ve borrowed one of my friend’s login at University

2) What you need to do now is go online and search up your specification/module content notes, if you’re in the UK, I’ll link a resource for you (STEM only), I’m retaking my A-Levels privately whilst I’m at University so this is what I do to memorise the content:

3) Using the content either save it as a PDF file by clicking the share button or copy and paste chunks of the information for ChatGPT 3.5 to comprehend, you can tell GPT to not reply to anything you’re about to send until you say so, if it’s saved as a PDF, upload it, if it’s not, paste it, once it’s pasted in, ask GPT to make either question answer flashcards in the form of a CSV file (very important), or normal chunks of information (I’d recommend this since you can do past paper exam practice anyways)

4) It will generate a CSV file which you save onto your desktop, then you open up Anki, click on import, select the deck you want to upload your CSV file onto, and upload it, it will create an X number of notes that ChatGPT generated, all in the format of Anki flashcards

Another way to take advantage of Anki, once you’ve learnt the content, you still need to apply it to exam questions, if you’re a STEM student like me, you’d know the mark scheme of an exam paper is the most important thing to remember since the answers are extremely specific, messing up a single word in Biology will cost you 1-3 marks, and those marks add up and result in 1-2 grades lost (I’ve been there, even though I’m naturally good at Biology), so what I’m saying is, using Anki to memorise the mark scheme is a superbly wonderful idea, and extremely effective

However, in the circumstance of making five to six thousand cards which will take months to remember and take up a majority of your day, I would recommend you to complete a past exam paper (After you’ve memorised 60-80% of the content prior), then mark, and put a red dot next to the questions you got wrong, then do this:

1) Open up your AI tool again, this time you’re going to need ChatGPT 4

2) Save the past exam paper you just completed

3) Upload it to GPT and tell it to create a CSV for the file you just uploaded and make sure to tell GPT all the questions to generate it for

4) Once it generates a response, import the CSV file to Anki and memorise the mark scheme

Thank you for reading my simple thread, this is what has been working for me this year, it’s the only thing that works for me and I’m happy to share it as a diagnosed ADHD that finds a lot of other study techniques boring

brad pitt dancing GIF

• +1
  • Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: UrGirlsMcm, axsen, 6"4 Tyrone(I'm not) and 9 others
DNR Chad posts his face and makes millions by becoming a model.
Inkies need to waste thier youth studying and wageslaving for the rest of their lives.
1 Meeks >>>> 500 weeks

• Ugh..
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: mayo mogger, tombradylover, Fiqh and 5 others
High iq mod
High iq post

• Love it
Reactions: coispet
Before you read this, check out and go over the actual Anki manual which tells you all the basics about the app, how to use it etc.

Here is the manual:

What I’m explaining is a manual on how to use it for studying specific content and applying it to other study techniques

A brief summary of what Anki is, it’s a flashcard, spaced repetition tool which refreshes your brain of the content you’re trying to remember right before you forget it, remember it is not as effective when simply using it as a note/flashcard viewing tool, that is better done by physically handwritten notes/flashcards

Anki is mainly used to review your flashcards which means coming back to it after a while to refresh your memory of the content, after a card is learnt on Anki, depending on how well you remember it, it will come back as a review to make you remember it again and recall it

Anki’s gimmick is the interface, I will use one of my cards as an example:

As you can see at the bottom, it has 4 options you’re able to click, this is after the cards are slightly matured and learnt, this is just a review, when reviewing it is showing the options Again (<10m meaning it will show again in that given time), Hard (1d meaning it will show again in a day), Good (2d meaning it will show again in two days) and Easy (3d meaning it will show again in three days)

These options help you decide how well you remember the card and when you want to see them again, with Anki you’re working at a confidence interval, it all is dependant on how well you’re able to recall a card

Some things to take into consideration when starting you use Anki, you must be consistent with it, if you’re not consistent and miss even a day, your reviews will pile up, and it’ll fuck up your memory of the cards you’ve previously memorised

Another thing is to look into algorithms which make your Anki experience easier and takes a load off the amount of reviews you’re completing daily, it is extremely difficult to explain and would defeat the purpose of the simple guide in the title, but I use the FSRS algorithm, after a while it’s taken 40% of my reviews down whilst keeping a retention rate of 0.9/90% for all my cards

Here’s the manual on FSRS (It comes as two parts, the scheduler and optimiser, the manual explains it more in detail):

Now if you’re a last minute crammer like me, worried that you haven’t written down any notes, typed up flashcards onto Anki, I’m gonna teach you how to do it all in five minutes, the only thing you need to do is use Anki consistently

1) You need an AI tool, I use ChatGPT, it’s the most common, if you have ChatGPT 4, you’re golden, if you don’t, make sure not to use content pages online that have images on there which are required for the content specification, since GPT 3.5 doesn’t allow you to paste in images, with GPT 4 you can upload PDF files that content images, I’d recommend you to pay the small monthly fee for even a month since this only takes five minutes, or borrow a friends login, I’ve borrowed one of my friend’s login at University

2) What you need to do now is go online and search up your specification/module content notes, if you’re in the UK, I’ll link a resource for you (STEM only), I’m retaking my A-Levels privately whilst I’m at University so this is what I do to memorise the content:

3) Using the content either save it as a PDF file by clicking the share button or copy and paste chunks of the information for ChatGPT 3.5 to comprehend, you can tell GPT to not reply to anything you’re about to send until you say so, if it’s saved as a PDF, upload it, if it’s not, paste it, once it’s pasted in, ask GPT to make either question answer flashcards in the form of a CSV file (very important), or normal chunks of information (I’d recommend this since you can do past paper exam practice anyways)

4) It will generate a CSV file which you save onto your desktop, then you open up Anki, click on import, select the deck you want to upload your CSV file onto, and upload it, it will create an X number of notes that ChatGPT generated, all in the format of Anki flashcards

Another way to take advantage of Anki, once you’ve learnt the content, you still need to apply it to exam questions, if you’re a STEM student like me, you’d know the mark scheme of an exam paper is the most important thing to remember since the answers are extremely specific, messing up a single word in Biology will cost you 1-3 marks, and those marks add up and result in 1-2 grades lost (I’ve been there, even though I’m naturally good at Biology), so what I’m saying is, using Anki to memorise the mark scheme is a superbly wonderful idea, and extremely effective

However, in the circumstance of making five to six thousand cards which will take months to remember and take up a majority of your day, I would recommend you to complete a past exam paper (After you’ve memorised 60-80% of the content prior), then mark, and put a red dot next to the questions you got wrong, then do this:

1) Open up your AI tool again, this time you’re going to need ChatGPT 4

2) Save the past exam paper you just completed

3) Upload it to GPT and tell it to create a CSV for the file you just uploaded and make sure to tell GPT all the questions to generate it for

4) Once it generates a response, import the CSV file to Anki and memorise the mark scheme

Thank you for reading my simple thread, this is what has been working for me this year, it’s the only thing that works for me and I’m happy to share it as a diagnosed ADHD that finds a lot of other study techniques boring

brad pitt dancing GIF
High iq informative thread

But I dropped out to looksmax ☝️😭

• JFL
Playa got a degree in Looksmaxology 🤦‍♂️😭
Of course lad ive been studying hard

Mewing chewing gooning and edging are all fields I know enough about to teach! Mogwarts my ass! I'm the professor!!

• JFL
Anki is goated. I'm using it to learn German.

• Love it
Anki is goated. I'm using it to learn German.
Legit, I haven’t gone back to my birth land (Belgium) in a long time, Im gonna use Anki to relearn French so I can slay European stacies

• +1
Reactions: FaceandBBC
If you still haven't learned about Anki you weren't meant to be ngl

• +1
If you still haven't learned about Anki you weren't meant to be ngl
I knew about it a year ago because of my sister that studied medicine, but I was retarded and used it as a note viewing tool and disregarded the whole spaced repetition part which is Anki’s speciality JFL

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693
Only use the "Again" and "Good" button btw.

Can't be bothered to explain why but just trust me, the other buttons fuck with the algorithms

• Woah
Chads don't study

• WTF
Only use the "Again" and "Good" button btw.

Can't be bothered to explain why but just trust me, the other buttons fuck with the algorithms
Fuckk, didn’t know that, thanks man

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693
Of course lad ive been studying hard

Mewing chewing gooning and edging are all fields I know enough about to teach! Mogwarts my ass! I'm the professor!!
Gooning is the new meta

Bill Hader Cry GIF by Team Coco

• JFL
Reactions: Gaygymmaxx
FSRS is goated

I can vouch for the Puppy Reinforcement Add-On, I just fill them with cats

• Love it
FSRS is goated

I can vouch for the Puppy Reinforcement Add-On, I just fill them with cats
Cats are more based than Dogs anyways

And yeah. FSRS is phenomenal

How’s your Ramadan going by the way?

• +1
Reactions: Fiqh
Cats are more based than Dogs anyways

And yeah. FSRS is phenomenal

How’s your Ramadan going by the way?
Alhamdullilah, I fasted the majority of Sha'baan so it's fine. What about you?

FSRS

• +1
Alhamdullilah, I fasted the majority of Sha'baan so it's fine. What about you?

FSRS

Alhamdulillah it’s great for me, fasts are a lot shorter this year since Maghrib is the beginning of evening, a lot easier so I’m trying to be more active during my fasts

Also join r/medicalschoolanki

Those guys learnt 200-400 new cards a day and on top of that complete 2000-3000 reviews a day

• +1
Alhamdulillah it’s great for me, fasts are a lot shorter this year since Maghrib is the beginning of evening, a lot easier so I’m trying to be more active during my fasts

Also join r/medicalschoolanki

Those guys learnt 200-400 new cards a day and on top of that complete 2000-3000 reviews a day

It's crazy, but it's mostly because they don't have a lot of information per card.

• +1
View attachment 2798350

It's crazy, but it's mostly because they don't have a lot of information per card.
Yeah my cards are extremely dense and thick, a lot of information, I started my decks for Year 1 + Year 2 Bio and Year 1 + Year 2 Chem (4 Decks in total), 2414 cards in total, I’m averaging 64 new cards a day on top of 100-200 reviews

• +1
im confused, if i learn 20 cards a day, should i do the cards until anki stops showing me cards and says youre complete or whatever?
or do i base off the red number of cards at the bottom

im confused, if i learn 20 cards a day, should i do the cards until anki stops showing me cards and says youre complete or whatever?
or do i base off the red number of cards at the bottom
If your daily new cards is 20, complete the 20 new cards, it’ll then say 0 next to your deck and congratulate you for completing the deck, once you’re done, the next day, it’ll show the next set of 20 cards alongside a number of green colour, that is called reviews, if you remember the card from yesterday it’s a one click process, reviews are quicker than learning new cards

anki is really big amongst premeds and med students in america. I just can't seem to like it as much maybe I need to play with it more

• +1
Bookmarked!

• +1