The problem with a Sliding Genioplasty VS Chin Implant

Kekee

Kekee

Kraken
This problem was pointed out to me by a surgeon after a consultation and I can't help but notice it in many genioplasty before and afters. After genioplasty there seems to be a separation point between the jaw and chin, which creates an indention look that's not aesthetically pleasing to me. I've red dotted the part for users to see what I'm talking about in the pics below:

Before:
Dd 800w 850h 3 1 420x446

Dd 800w 850h 2 2 420x446

After:
Dd 800w 850h 4 1 420x446 1
20231027 040854

Dd 800w 850h 3 2 420x446

Before:
Chin3 1

Chin3 3

After:
Chin3 2

20231027 041814

Chin3 4

Again:
1 1
1 2

20231027 042047

Case 5711 genioplasty before after

Case 5711 genioplasty before after 2

Meanwhile Chin Implant Result:
Rhinoplasty chin augmentation before after 6499 01

Rhinoplasty chin augmentation before after 6499 02

Chin before and after pictures 372

Chin before and after pictures 374

SD 1 Frontal Chin implant 1mo ba

SD 2 L Profile Chin implant 1mo ba

No separation, no point.

Now perhaps this is aesthetically pleasing to some but for me who is getting chin augmentation this separation would look weird on my face.

So is there anyway to avoid this separation with genioplasty or is chin implant the better option?

• +1
Reactions: IMOGYOU and sportsmogger
obviously since genioplasty cutting only small portions of the bone, they move it in a certain direction. it affects the soft tissue and the chin is more pointy separated from the jaw.

Change-in-Natural-Profile-Chin-Shape-After-Sliding-Genioplasty-x-rays-Dr-Barry-Eppley-Indianapolis.jpg

while the chin implant contours the entire chin bone and superimposes the soft tissues

Chin-implant-styles-min-scaled-1.jpeg

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: bradpittshairline, Lorsss, Allornothing and 1 other person
easily fixable

• +1
Reactions: Kekee
Now perhaps this is aesthetically pleasing to some but for me who is getting chin augmentation this separation would look weird on my face.

So is there anyway to avoid this separation with genioplasty or is chin implant the better option?
combine both for the best aesthetic result. genioplasty pulls the muscles and tissue and the implant achieves the desired shape/contour

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: klamus, IMOGYOU, Danish_Retard and 4 others
combine both for the best aesthetic result. genioplasty pulls the muscles and tissue and the implant achieves the desired shape/contour
Doesn't an implant do the same thing as a genioplasty? Pushes the muscles and tissues out? So why bother getting a genioplasty other than not having a bigger foreign object in your face?

• +1
Reactions: SteveRogers
obviously since genioplasty cutting only small portions of the bone, they move it in a certain direction. it affects the soft tissue and the chin is more pointy separated from the jaw.

Change-in-Natural-Profile-Chin-Shape-After-Sliding-Genioplasty-x-rays-Dr-Barry-Eppley-Indianapolis.jpg

while the chin implant contours the entire chin bone and superimposes the soft tissues

Chin-implant-styles-min-scaled-1.jpeg
I see makes sense.

Doesn't an implant do the same thing as a genioplasty? Pushes the muscles and tissues out? So why bother getting a genioplasty other than not having a bigger foreign object in your face?

Image 2023 10 27 060501461

I meant it stretches these muscles
and in an aesthetic way of course

Last edited:
  • +1
This problem was pointed out to me by a surgeon after a consultation and I can't help but notice it in many genioplasty before and afters. After genioplasty there seems to be a separation point between the jaw and chin, which creates an indention look that's not aesthetically pleasing to me. I've red dotted the part for users to see what I'm talking about in the pics below:

Before:
View attachment 2515053
View attachment 2515062
After:
View attachment 2515058View attachment 2515060
View attachment 2515064

Before:
View attachment 2515075
View attachment 2515076

After:
View attachment 2515079
View attachment 2515083
View attachment 2515080

Again:
View attachment 2515085View attachment 2515086
View attachment 2515088
View attachment 2515099
View attachment 2515100

View attachment 2515073
View attachment 2515074
View attachment 2515089
View attachment 2515090
View attachment 2515103
View attachment 2515104

No separation, no point.

Hald decent surgeons will contour the area around the chin to match the new position and you'll have no indents.

Genio mogs in most cases.

• +1
Hald decent surgeons will contour the area around the chin to match the new position and you'll have no indents.

Genio mogs in most cases.
After researching more I would say Genio mogs if you really need a lot of advancement and vertical height. However if you only need a few mm without vertical then implant would mog unless you have a deep mentolabial fold.

Fat graft mogs for less than 3 mm advancement as well.

Less downtime/recovery, cheaper, no risk of injury to the chin in recovery unlike broken bones or an implant.

• +1
Reactions: ErbCel
Can we use jaw fillers on the chin after genioplasty ?

No genioplasty always mogs in the long run too
Imagine it like this , genioplasty = your own chin bone stretched with the help of screws and given forward growth
Implant = a foreign material like peek/silicon attached onto your chin which has a risk for infection too
Also implants can give like 5mm of projection beyond that it looks uncanny af meanwhile genioplasty can give uptill 15mm...

Genio increases mandible length and chin implant increases chin size/projection. They’re not the same and results will vary accordingly. A combination of both is what a lot of people need.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Lynxress, klamus, Lonenely sigma and 1 other person
Genio increases mandible length and chin implant increases chin size/projection. They’re not the same and results will vary accordingly. A combination of both is what a lot of people need.
Genio increases both mandible length as well as chin size (vert and horizon) projection. This is all most people need.

Unless cherry picked scenarios where people need subtle shape alterations without much size/projection changes, here implants are more suited.

For eg, making a pointy chin squarer is more suited to implants.

Before:
View attachment 2515053
View attachment 2515062
After:
View attachment 2515058View attachment 2515060
View attachment 2515064

Before:
View attachment 2515075
View attachment 2515076

After:
View attachment 2515079
View attachment 2515083
View attachment 2515080

Again:
View attachment 2515085View attachment 2515086
View attachment 2515088
View attachment 2515099
View attachment 2515100

View attachment 2515073
View attachment 2515074
View attachment 2515089
View attachment 2515090
View attachment 2515103
View attachment 2515104

No separation, no point.

Genio is only viable for people with a good jaw but round chin, any one else getting it without fixing the underlying structural problem with your lower third i.e: your jaw, will result in an inverted cone looking face similar to Benedict Cumberbatch. I may be wrong though due to my propensity to spread misinformation and lies over the internet

• +1
Yeah, they get that weird Antegonial notch, such a failo

• +1
it doesnt look that bad