The Sleepmaxxing Playbook: understand why and how to have the best deep night rest possible with this value-packed sleep megaguide

How do i even cope with night shifts

View attachment 2193988

doing some tagmaxxing

@Curry Suicide @Patient A @House Lannister @Tallooksmaxxer @Arborist @hormonetherapy @zv1212 @Jamesothy @cloUder @curlyheadjames @Chad1212 @LiteralCaucasian @Shako Mako @Umbra @Corleone @ascension! @BrahminBoss @Beastimmung @Exterminator @seth @5.5psl @Solar @loksr @nitesik @Xangsane @khvirgin @subhuman incel @defezman @JovenCansao @Amnesia @forevergymcelling @MoggerGaston @aBetterMii @Pikabro @Dr. Bruh @Dystopian @rand anon @Alexanderr @;-; @Eduardo DOV @Tyronecell @Gargantuan @Uglybrazilian @Cauã @MatheusCqb @Beetlejuice @Bvnny. @Iasacrko @szolliontaraelis @skinnytwink @gymmaxedhorse @fnafmaxxer @MagnusTheRed @skorp @theL @PYT @ihatereddit @Brazitard @Kevin Logan @Zures @casadebanho @whiteissuperior @latino_ @Ritalincel @Tyrion! @Entschuldigung @RAITEIII @Unsh @gribsufer1 @spongebob @kumquat @KingBetaTut @Blackgymmax @JailedAristocrat @soldier_puzzle662 @Lawton88 @TRUE_CEL @2d v2 @Matthias8272 @Anstrum95 @tomsmith @Thomas DOM @Yuno_howitez @Mumbai Sissy @Hiraeth @FastBananaCEO @StepbroMo @Bashan @Prettyboy @Hades @BucketCrab @wannakms @Witheredly90 @the BULL @Vermilioncore @cvzvvc @dimorphism @SaintOverBuddyBoyo @pneumocystosis @enchanted_elixir @leveruis @Lev Peshkov
@nitesik @Arborist @Bvnny. @sp3ll @pneumocystosis @Xangsane @Ellipsis @sub5inchcel @homovirgin @Hess @brain_destruction @MoggedInMumbai @Hoso @pneumocystosis @Iasacrko @Umbra @colesp @Sanguinius @Reformed @rand anon @pashtun @Octavian_Augustus @malicieusss @curlyheadjames @raminzer @lasnt @LooksOrDeath @tinderhacker @rooman @gungnir @lelouch @redmaxx @Jacob Hate @5.5psl @lunin7 @ascension @nineteen @eduardkoopman @hopeless NTmaxxer @Graham @QQ442244 @looksmidder
@Maesthetics=King
@TRUE_CEL
@Makhachev
@anoright
@ArcticStorm
@User49
@Ozell Israelite
@St.TikTokcel
@Master
@Esteban1997
@Xangsane

@Ellipsis @Rate_My_Face

@fruitgunpop
@STEVE GAMING
@Tallooksmaxxer
@jabaduk
@zv1212
@Melon
@ErbCel
@sub5inchcel
@breedme
@Tobias Fünke
@TeenAscender
@mvp2v1
@Unsh
@ArdaxHG
@hockeyguy64785
@Mateusz74
@Leo Carryn
@Dystopian
@callisto
@StuffedFrog
@pneumocystosis
@SoonToAscend
@Nims
@IceBreaker0
@Mongrelcel
@stevielake
@Elvisandreaa
@LightSkinNoob
@enchanted_elixir
@SteveRogers
@Ada Mustang
garou making the best guides ever imaginable like always.

• +1
Reactions: Skywalker, m0ss26 and TheBrownOne
Why are you recommending supplementing glycine when magnesium glycinate is broken down into magnesium and glycine?

Also, 5HTP makes me feel really good and energetic but it makes me wake up every hour at night and I feel kinda tweaky from it. I take it occasionally though for the mood boost.

great thread except for the supplements listed here, you aren't giving us any science to back up why to take all of this, seems overkill.

Just go with a healthy diet instead of these supplements

5-HTP: 50 to 200mg daily.
Omega 3: 2g of EPA and DHA.
Probiotics: at least 1 billion CFU (the more the better). Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are best for mood and serotonin support.
B6: 100mg.
Vit D: best to get from sun exposure after waking up, but if not, anywhere between 1k and 10k IU daily.
Magnesium: 400mg daily.
SAMe: 1g daily.
Tryptophan: 500mg per day.
Rhodiola Rosea: 200mg daily.
Ginkgo Biloba: 150mg daily.
B9: 400mcg per day.
Inositol: 500mg per day.
Zinc: 30mg per day.
he is like definitely working for big pharma

Just smoke a blunt

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: m0ss26, BrahminBoss and autistic_tendencies
  • +1
Reactions: dannydipss
I get 8h a day but still feel like shit.

Get tested for sleep apnea, a home study (Lofta) is cheap, especially if you do have sleep apnea. I would advise anyone sleeping over 5 hours and still feeling groggy, to get a sleep study done, especially if you can get lab study done.

Symptoms​

The symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas overlap, sometimes making it difficult to determine which type you have. The most common symptoms of obstructive and central sleep apneas include:

• Loud snoring.
  • Episodes in which you stop breathing during sleep — which would be reported by another person.
  • Gasping for air during sleep.
  • Awakening with a dry mouth.
  • Morning headache.
  • Difficulty staying asleep, known as insomnia.
  • Excessive daytime sleepiness, known as hypersomnia.
  • Difficulty paying attention while awake.
  • Irritability.

Snoring is like a lock for sleep apnea, so if your sleep watch reports that or a family member, get the study done.

Thatll be 50 bucks.

a small change of 1 hour shouldnt disrupt your clock significantly, 2 hours and + is where it would fuck it up

treat that change as jet lag basically, I'm assuming they run that system for several months so just take 2-3 days and adapt to the new timing
w sleep thread.

what are ur thoughts on polyphasic sleep cycles?

for example 4.5 hours of sleep and 2 naps each 30 min, during the day time.
do you think you can reach the same effects in terms of regeration and health benefits?

w sleep thread.

what are ur thoughts on polyphasic sleep cycles?

for example 4.5 hours of sleep and 2 naps each 30 min, during the day time.
do you think you can reach the same effects in terms of regeration and health benefits?
no

Melatonin is cope because its oral bioavailability is poor. Only thing that helped my insomnia was benzos or having a very strict sleeping pattern. Going to bed at exactly 10 pm and waking up at exactly 5 am in the morning, having the same routine everyday etc. Eating the same food everyday, taking a dump at always at the same time, exercising. However, the latter was practically impossible to uphold for a long period of time - the longest I could endure was a month until I eventually would break my rhythm during the weekend and it'd stay fucked forever after that.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: garoupilled_
Just tried sleeping on my side last night after reading this guide. I normally sleep on my back, but have suspected for a while now that I mouthbreathe in my sleep and am likely fucking choking to death at night.

I woke up today at 5am naturally with only 6 hours of sleep, but i feel well rested and not groggy at all. No dreams and it was relatively light sleep as I woke up a couple times but I feel like it’s just cause I’m not used to it yet. I feel so happy for some reason, when I woke up today I legit feel as happy as I did when I would wake up as a child. Shit is crazy man, thank you. I’ll keep experimenting with sleeping on my side and maybe get a sleep study done down the line if I need to.

Its the opposite, the best sleeping position is on the right side or back.

• +1
Reactions: stevielake
I thought sleeping on your back was the best position
it is. But on the right side too. The left side put pressure on hearth and lungs actually.

• +1
Reactions: Lethbridge
Cope doesn't work on Narcolepsy/Idiopathic hypersomnia

niggas sleeping on good sleep fr fr

• +1
Reactions: garoupilled_
update: I've been implementing everything that I learned about sleep and wrote on this thread for a slight while now and I've never felt better, waking up at the exact same time without using an alarm, super energized, feels incredible tbh, brings almost a new meaning to life

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Fiqh, Tr0ubLe and becomingnearperfect
update: I've been implementing everything that I learned about sleep and wrote on this thread for a slight while now and I've never felt better, waking up at the exact same time without using a timer, super energized, feels incredible tbh, brings almost a new meaning to life
I need to follow this thread soon cause my sleep schedule is ass

I need to follow this thread soon cause my sleep schedule is ass
trust me its worth it, will change your life

there's no such thing as "soon" because you need to live in the now, stop creating excuses and just get to it - day one or one day?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 30432, malicieusss and becomingnearperfect

there's no such thing as "soon" because you need to live in the now, stop creating excuses and just get to it - day one or one day?
Thanks for that actually that’s pretty motivating. I’m gonna read it today 🫡

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 30432 and garoupilled_
Once you know your core minimum body temperature you can hack your body. This one is abstract I suggest you do self research if interested.

What if I told you...

that scientists have discovered a brand new revolutionary pill,
that when taken daily...

increases your lifespan by 10 years, makes your face more attractive, increases IQ, lowers depression and anxiety, enhances memory by 20%, increases testosterone production by 15%, protects you from cancer, heart attack, and even stroke, but most importantly...

Can make you happier than getting a $60,000 raise...

Would you take it?

If so, worry no longer buddy boyo, since all secrets regarding this magic pill will be revealed in this megaguide.

Table of contents
1) Quick introduction to the topic
2) A shortened but comprehensive understanding of how and why our body's natural biological clock functions
3) The correct sleeping position
4) Napping
5) Melatonin intake and its controversy
6) Sleep apnea
7) Beliefs
8) Environment
9) Intake
10) Habits
11) Supplements
12) What the perfect circadian flow schedule looks like and best times to do stuff in the day

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Introduction

● Water is wet. We all know sleep is crucial for mental and physical well-being and the roles its plays in our body. With that said, why would I even need to further convince you about getting a deep night's rest, right?

Even so, the thing that most people don't get a realistic grasp on is to which degree poor sleep quality can affect your face and be a huge looksmin, especially in the long run.

28CA5A0100000578-0-image-a-22_1431889287565.jpg
687fb029c4309dab4b3d496b1f27273e-jpg.378408
2aee47c375db8cebbc26b6eaf3e57b50.png
View attachment 2193919View attachment 2193918

Swollen and bloated face; poor orbital support and skin firmness on the eyelids, acne, dark circles, redder eyes, droopy resting face, marks of aging and expression significantly worse with only a days difference.

Not only that, but lack of sleep also makes you non-sociable and an outcast, even as much as individuals with actual diagnosed social anxiety, diminishing your chances of people interacting with you. Who would want to befriend someone whos always in a grumpy mood anyways, right?

Sleeping poorly can even actually reduce your testicular size.

At this point, I'm sure you're well aware of the downsides and health-related issues that not getting enough rest implicates in - with that in mind, let's make this quick and dive into how to get the best sleep possible, by improving what we spend 1/3 of our entire lives doing, ironically, without giving it the proper attention it deserves.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Understanding your body's natural biological clock

CircadianRhythmmin.png
3392112_Two-processes-govern-the-daily-expression-of-the-sleep-wake-cycle-in-humans-Process-S.jpg
3392127_Light-suprachiasmatic-nuclei-SCN-and-the-pineal-melatonin-circuit-Melanopsin-in.png
b768cc10.jpg

The circadian clock is a 24-hour internal body timing system that regulates your sleep-wake cycle and is synchronized by the day-night cycle as well. Keep a note on this since it will be useful later. It determines all your biological processes such as body temperature, hormone release timing, metabolism, and more. It functions based on two main frameworks; the circadian process, which is regulated by the suprachiasmatic nucleus located in the hypothalamus, the master clock of the body. It receives light information (primary external cue) from the retina by specialized photoreceptor cells that detect light level alterations and adjusts internal homeostasis accordingly, such as melatonin, produced by the pineal gland in response to darkness and promotes sleep, and cortisol, made in the adrenal glands promoting alertness at its peak 30 minutes after waking up. The second framework is the homeostatic process, which is a buildup of adenosine in the brain as a byproduct of cellular metabolism which increases with time spent awake. The longer we stay awake, the more adenosine is bound to A1 and A2 receptors, inhibiting the activity of wake-promoting neurons and their releases of acetylcholine, histamine, and norepinephrine, which prompts sleep-promoting neurons in the hypothalamus, making us drowsy.

Overall, the best sleeping position to be in is by your side, more specifically on the left side. This is due to a series of advantages this position renders to the body during nighttime, such as improved glymphatic system cleansing (brain metabolical waste by neuron activity byproduct removal), enhanced stomachal and pancreatic function, better lymphatic drainage, slower resting heart rate and blood flow, and most importantly, reduced gravity of sleep apnea and airway obstruction.

The only two main downsides of sleeping by your side are hip and spine misalignment, which can be solved by positioning a small pillow (or your own arm) supporting your neck and a body pillow between your legs to create hip balance. Other than that, the friction and pressure of your face onto the pillow may cause wrinkles and age your skin a bit faster than usual in the long run. Albeit there isn't really an effective way to counter this of which I personally know rather than getting a pillow with a soft surface.

Interestingly enough, we can also confirm this is the most natural and correct sleep position by observing other primates
main-qimg-a1e8f310b5b2abf6dc3cc9b44aa0008f.webp
sleep-like-gorilla.jpeg
3394059_1683331016091.png

4) Napping

● By taking a closer look at the circadian rhythm and even at our own lunch habits, we can observe a natural dip in energy levels during the afternoon, specifically between 1 and 3 PM. During this time, short naps (20 to 35 minutes) could be optimal for alertness and cognitive performance without tapping into deeper slumber and disrupting your nighttime schedule, due to the adjustment of energy fluctuation accordingly to ultradian rhythms. Albeit, napping is best if taken as a habit and done consistently throughout every day at approximately the same hours, adjusting it to your circadian pattern. Even so, if you don't usually feel tired or have your energy levels drop in the afternoon, it is not necessary at all.
3b551498eb7c7f48249977c0c1867f65.jpg
0fb766aad4871e594645734fb161f3c5.jpg

5) Melatonin supplementation

● Our pineal gland naturally produces from 0,1 to around 0,5mg of melatonin throughout the day, but melatonin supplements can be found to contain even over 10mg per dose. Making an analogy with testosterone, pretty sure you wouldn't want to inject a 100x supraphysiological amount into yourself on a frequent basis.

● Another common misconception in the popular belief is that melatonin supplementation should be treated as a sedative. Melatonin intake should be used as little as possible for the sole sake of regulating your natural production through circadian rhythm balance rather than taking it in huge doses in hopes of falling asleep faster. Ideally, you'd only use it when fucking up your natural clock for it to reset faster to its usual setting, regulating your melatonin release. Supplementing for the wrong sake will also make you groggy by when you wake up in the morning since your body isn't used to such an override in your system, taking more time to clear up all the excess melatonin and delaying your habitual cortisol spike.

6) Sleep apnea

● Sleep apnea can either be obstructive, where throat muscles relax and block airway flow (most common case) or central, where the brain fails to properly access breathing control through electrical impulses. If you usually wake up with brain fog or feeling groggy very often, even If you've slept for an adequate amount of hours (7-10), you might want to get it checked. If you lay on your back and feel your airways being blocked by relaxing your muscles you probably have it as well.

It's extremely important to make clear that if you have a severe case of sleep apnea you should access it urgently before thinking about any other other way to improve your sleep such as the methods listed below in the thread. Sleep apnea can be caused by nasal congestion or inflammation, recessed jaw, low hyoid bone positioning and high fat concentration in the submental area, hypothyroidism, acid reflux, weak muscles, and a deviated septum. You can cure it through surgery, better health habits, or a CPAP machine, and you can cope by sleeping on your side and doing neck and facial exercises that strengthen the throat muscles, such as these.

7) Beliefs

● Mindset plays a big role in everything life-related, sleep included. If you didn't get your magical 8 hours of sleep of the day, don't obsess about it and think that your productivity is going to be terrible or that your day is ruined. Apply the 80/20 rule to your sleep protocol and focus on getting better rest the next day rather than feeling pessimistic in the present moment.

As we've already covered, your body slowly shutdowns throughout the afternoon and evening. For this reason, preparing yourself hours ahead and facilitating that process can help tremendously for better sleep. A few of these could be:

Take a warm shower 1 to 2 hours before going to bed. This imitates the temperature drop your body naturally flows in the evening and also relaxes your muscles, making you fall asleep more easily. When you take a warm shower, your peripheral blood vessels dilate, resulting in a rise of skin temperature. After getting out, the temperature shock by exposure to the external air causes a drop in body temperature levels, imitating your circadian rhythm.

Work as hard as possible throughout the day. As you have already probably noticed, whenever we have a big day and get lots of things done we naturally feel more sleepy by the end of it. On the other hand, the more "nothing" you do, the less sleepy you'll feel. By requiring a bigger amount of effort from your own body for daily activities, cellular byproduct production will increase, which results in more adenosine linking to your brain. If you're not falling asleep quickly, maybe putting more into your workflow could enhance that feeling by the end of the day. Try to get as much done in the morning, and unwind during the afternoon.

It's also important to notice that your body doesn't differentiate between weekdays and weekends. Maintaining a schedule that fits into your routine 24/7 is crucial for sleep health and circadian stability. If you're going out, drinking, and sleeping late, try to wake up max 2 hours after your usual in order to mitigate fluctuation downsides.

But let's suppose this isn't feasible. Then begs the question, should I oversleep, or wake up in my usual setting sleep deprived? The answer is up to you. If you oversleep, you'll feel more replenished and productive that day, but your circadian rhythm will have shifted. In case you wake up at the same time, but with fewer sleep hours, said shift will be less severe, but your energy won't be at the max. Apply accordingly.

8) Environment

Make your room cold: the perfect temperature setting for the night is between 62 and 66 Fahrenheit, or 16 to 19 Celsius.

Get rid of all the lights in your room besides overhead and lamps: any light during nighttime is a distraction, will elevate your cortisol, block your melatonin production and dysregulate your cycle. Avoid artificial lights as soon as possible before getting into bed.

Get blackout curtains and possibly an eye mask: your room should be able to get pitch black during noon. If you still have any light entrance, use an eye mask (a non-irritating one).

Get a weighted blanket close to 10% of your total body weight for better sleep. Source here.

Invest in a high-quality mattress: there's no point in spending 1/3 of your life on a cheap mattress. There are several high-tech mattresses out in the market which regulate their own temperature accordingly to yours and can greatly improve your rest with other features included. If you have the money, it's worth looking into.

Orthopedic pillow: as we've covered before, sleeping on your side is the best position possible. Although this is true, it may cause shoulder, neck, and spine issues (as with every other sleeping position), which can be reduced by resting on an ergonomic surface.

White noise: if you're a slight sleeper, adding white noise to the background can help. This creates a stable and consistent noise level throughout your sleep which can avoid baseline differentiation sounds to wake you up, mask other annoying sounds in your surrounding, and create a soothing effect by association with the noise, prompting your brain to fall asleep faster.

Avoid EMFs in your sleeping room: it is well known that Electromagnetic Fields are harmful to our health in general, but they can also worsen your sleep by blocking melatonin secretion, interfering with brain activity during sleep, and increasing oxidative stress at a cellular level. To avoid this, get rid of all electronic devices in your room and place them as far as possible throughout your house. At nighttime, turn them off. There are also products in the market that serve as EMF shields.

Blue light screen filters and glasses: most screens nowadays are embedded with the option to reduce blue light emission and brightness closer to the evening. On top of that, special glasses with light filters are also an option. The only problem is that by using these, your focus is still on the screen, so you will inherently maintain the will to be awake since you're focused on a specific activity.
Keep in mind that these filters are not 100% effective. Blue light blocks roughly 80% of melatonin production, red light blocks 40%, and fire or candle light blocks around 2%.

If you've ever gone out to buy some glasses, many times you are advertised to install blue light blocking lenses packed together with your prescription ones. While these indeed partially block blue light, it doesn't even come close to being effective, rather just another scam to grab your money. Blocking lenses can be clear (blocks 20-40%), yellow (blocks 40 to 70%), and red (block 90 to 99%). The ones you get offered to install are always the clear ones because no one wants to be walking outdoors with these on:

View attachment 2193837

9) Intakes

● Ingesting salt tabs with (ideally) gatorade before bed can help with nocturnal urination. The salt and the electrolytes will "bloat" you slightly and retain the water overnight, so you don't feel the urge to wake up mid-sleep to go to the bathroom.

Melatonin is originally produced from serotonin. When your pineal gland signals to release melatonin, serotonin is converted to NAS through the AANAT enzyme. Afterward, NAS is converted to melatonin through the HIOMT enzyme. With this in mind, it's important to produce enough serotonin capable of sustaining a good mood throughout the day, and ensure proper melatonin production. As we've already covered, supplementing melatonin directly is a terrible idea, so to increase your serotonin naturally, you can:

Maintain healthy habits in general (water stuff like less anxiety and stress, meditation, having an active social life, etc).
Probiotics: at least 1 billion CFU (the more the better). Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are best for mood and serotonin support.
Vit D: best to get from sun exposure after waking up, but if not, anywhere between 1k and 10k IU daily.

Foods that boost serotonin (tryptophan-rich): eggs, cheese, pineapples, tofu, salmon, nuts and seeds, turkey, chicken, milk, seafood in general, dairy, lentils, beans, chickpeas, red meat, bananas, quinoa, buckwheat, oats, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, dark chocolate.

Always eat at the same time of the day: by eating in the same time window frequently, you adjust your circadian rhythm to digestion and bowel movements accordingly. This will help reduce drowsiness and energy spikes and downs by the afternoon, and maintain glucose homeostasis.

Nasal strips work by physically widening the nasal passages and improving airflow. They can be used in order to help with sleep apnea, snoring, congestion and exercise, but are also a great sleep quality improver in general since your oxygenation levels will improve, making you wake up feeling better.

Don't use stimulants after 10 AM: The half-life of caffeine is about 7 hours. Let's say you use 500mg as pre workout at 10 AM - at midnight, your blood will still have 125mg. Only use stimulants earlier in the day and at low doses, as little frequently as possible. If necessary, cycle them (4 days on, 3 days off).

Have your last meal and drink 3 to 2 hours before bed - by eating and drinking right before bedtime, you increase metabolism and body temperature when it's supposed to shut down. To prevent this, concentrate your water intake and meals earlier in the day until the afternoon, to give yourself proper rest. This also reduces your chances of waking up in the middle of the night, leading to less sleep fragmentation.

10) Habits

Getting sunlight in the early morning: prompts your suprachiasmatic nucleus to set your internal clock - this will make you more energetic in the morning hours and facilitate sleep during nighttime. On the same note, getting light in the morning is as important as avoiding it during the night; make sure your eyes receive natural sunlight or at least blue light from the time you wake up until roughly 3 PM.

Meditation or breathing exercises before going to bed: lowers cortisol and puts the brain in a zen state by reducing norepinephrine and body temp.

Workout earlier in the day: after a workout, our body temperature maintains itself high for a couple of hours in order to respond to the physical demand the muscles just went through. Although physical exercise might make you sleepy, exercising not too close to bedtime is best.

Make an alarm for when to sleep and not when to wake up: this is huge. It's crucial to notice that your body shouldn't have a correct time of waking up (it should naturally wake up at the same hours in response to your epigenetic input, and rest as much as necessary), but instead, the correct timing of always sleeping on the same schedule. This makes a life-changing impact when done right.

Orgasms prompt the release of oxytocin, known as the love hormone, and prolactin. Both of these cause a feeling of well-being and relaxation, which can aid sleep. It also reduces body temp and releases endorphins and serotonin, all of which contribute to better rest.

11) Supplements

● Magnesium Glycinate: makes your dreams wild and vivid; increases your sleep time and sleep quality. Probably the most impactful supplement from this stack. Take 400mg before bed.

● Glycine: promotes body coolness, helps neurotransmitters protein synthesis and supports stable energy levels throughout the day. Take 1g during nighttime.

● Ashwagandha: reduces stress and anxiety, and promotes GABA production (anti-neuronal excitability). Take 500mg in the evening or before bed.

● L-Theanine: similar function to ashwagandha. Take 100mg before bed.

● 5-HTP: an amino acid the body produces from tryptophan. A precursor to serotonin, which converts to melatonin. Take 200mg on an empty stomach.

CONTINUES IN COMMENTS EXCEEDED 100K WORD LIMIT :lul:
I missed the part where you revealed the "pill" to enhance all aspects of your life, and solve all your problems, lol.

the pill was sleep jfl
Yeah, I've been struggling with that literally for years. Tried everything. Nothing quite works.
Fixing your sleep is like fixing your finances-- it's always going to happen "someday".

• So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Skywalker and stevielake
I thought sleeping on your back was the best position
Based on my Acid Reflux condition, my doctor suggested that I sleep on my side. This is because when you sleep on your side, the stomach contents do not move up the esophagus, which is not the case when sleeping on the back or front. Side-sleeping has many benefits, including this one.

• +1
Reactions: Racky
Doesn't sleeping on your left side cause facial asymmetry or is that pseudoscience

• +1
Reactions: Skywalker
A point that should be added: If you have pets don't let them go in your bedroom, let alone in your bed. I don't care how much you love your doggy. And also change your sheets regularly ( twice a week at least) not only because of skin issues but because all the disgusting dirt WILL leave you mouthbreathing.

Impossible to sleep when my life is hell

• So Sad
Reactions: 5ft8&aQUARTER
What if I told you...

that when taken daily...

increases your lifespan by 10 years, makes your face more attractive, increases IQ, lowers depression and anxiety, enhances memory by 20%, increases testosterone production by 15%, protects you from cancer, heart attack, and even stroke, but most importantly...

Would you take it?

If so, worry no longer buddy boyo, since all secrets regarding this magic pill will be revealed in this megaguide.

Table of contents
2) A shortened but comprehensive understanding of how and why our body's natural biological clock functions
4) Napping
6) Sleep apnea
7) Beliefs
8) Environment
9) Intake
10) Habits
11) Supplements
12) What the perfect circadian flow schedule looks like and best times to do stuff in the day

1) Introduction

● Water is wet. We all know sleep is crucial for mental and physical well-being and the roles its plays in our body. With that said, why would I even need to further convince you about getting a deep night's rest, right?

Even so, the thing that most people don't get a realistic grasp on is to which degree poor sleep quality can affect your face and be a huge looksmin, especially in the long run.

Swollen and bloated face; poor orbital support and skin firmness on the eyelids, acne, dark circles, redder eyes, droopy resting face, marks of aging and expression significantly worse with only a days difference.

Not only that, but lack of sleep also makes you non-sociable and an outcast, even as much as individuals with actual diagnosed social anxiety, diminishing your chances of people interacting with you. Who would want to befriend someone whos always in a grumpy mood anyways, right?

At this point, I'm sure you're well aware of the downsides and health-related issues that not getting enough rest implicates in - with that in mind, let's make this quick and dive into how to get the best sleep possible, by improving what we spend 1/3 of our entire lives doing, ironically, without giving it the proper attention it deserves.

CircadianRhythmmin.png
3392112_Two-processes-govern-the-daily-expression-of-the-sleep-wake-cycle-in-humans-Process-S.jpg
3392127_Light-suprachiasmatic-nuclei-SCN-and-the-pineal-melatonin-circuit-Melanopsin-in.png
b768cc10.jpg

The circadian clock is a 24-hour internal body timing system that regulates your sleep-wake cycle and is synchronized by the day-night cycle as well. Keep a note on this since it will be useful later. It determines all your biological processes such as body temperature, hormone release timing, metabolism, and more. It functions based on two main frameworks; the circadian process, which is regulated by the suprachiasmatic nucleus located in the hypothalamus, the master clock of the body. It receives light information (primary external cue) from the retina by specialized photoreceptor cells that detect light level alterations and adjusts internal homeostasis accordingly, such as melatonin, produced by the pineal gland in response to darkness and promotes sleep, and cortisol, made in the adrenal glands promoting alertness at its peak 30 minutes after waking up. The second framework is the homeostatic process, which is a buildup of adenosine in the brain as a byproduct of cellular metabolism which increases with time spent awake. The longer we stay awake, the more adenosine is bound to A1 and A2 receptors, inhibiting the activity of wake-promoting neurons and their releases of acetylcholine, histamine, and norepinephrine, which prompts sleep-promoting neurons in the hypothalamus, making us drowsy.

Overall, the best sleeping position to be in is by your side, more specifically on the left side. This is due to a series of advantages this position renders to the body during nighttime, such as improved glymphatic system cleansing (brain metabolical waste by neuron activity byproduct removal), enhanced stomachal and pancreatic function, better lymphatic drainage, slower resting heart rate and blood flow, and most importantly, reduced gravity of sleep apnea and airway obstruction.

The only two main downsides of sleeping by your side are hip and spine misalignment, which can be solved by positioning a small pillow (or your own arm) supporting your neck and a body pillow between your legs to create hip balance. Other than that, the friction and pressure of your face onto the pillow may cause wrinkles and age your skin a bit faster than usual in the long run. Albeit there isn't really an effective way to counter this of which I personally know rather than getting a pillow with a soft surface.

Interestingly enough, we can also confirm this is the most natural and correct sleep position by observing other primates
sleep-like-gorilla.jpeg

4) Napping

● By taking a closer look at the circadian rhythm and even at our own lunch habits, we can observe a natural dip in energy levels during the afternoon, specifically between 1 and 3 PM. During this time, short naps (20 to 35 minutes) could be optimal for alertness and cognitive performance without tapping into deeper slumber and disrupting your nighttime schedule, due to the adjustment of energy fluctuation accordingly to ultradian rhythms. Albeit, napping is best if taken as a habit and done consistently throughout every day at approximately the same hours, adjusting it to your circadian pattern. Even so, if you don't usually feel tired or have your energy levels drop in the afternoon, it is not necessary at all.

● Our pineal gland naturally produces from 0,1 to around 0,5mg of melatonin throughout the day, but melatonin supplements can be found to contain even over 10mg per dose. Making an analogy with testosterone, pretty sure you wouldn't want to inject a 100x supraphysiological amount into yourself on a frequent basis.

● Another common misconception in the popular belief is that melatonin supplementation should be treated as a sedative. Melatonin intake should be used as little as possible for the sole sake of regulating your natural production through circadian rhythm balance rather than taking it in huge doses in hopes of falling asleep faster. Ideally, you'd only use it when fucking up your natural clock for it to reset faster to its usual setting, regulating your melatonin release. Supplementing for the wrong sake will also make you groggy by when you wake up in the morning since your body isn't used to such an override in your system, taking more time to clear up all the excess melatonin and delaying your habitual cortisol spike.

6) Sleep apnea

● Sleep apnea can either be obstructive, where throat muscles relax and block airway flow (most common case) or central, where the brain fails to properly access breathing control through electrical impulses. If you usually wake up with brain fog or feeling groggy very often, even If you've slept for an adequate amount of hours (7-10), you might want to get it checked. If you lay on your back and feel your airways being blocked by relaxing your muscles you probably have it as well.

It's extremely important to make clear that if you have a severe case of sleep apnea you should access it urgently before thinking about any other other way to improve your sleep such as the methods listed below in the thread. Sleep apnea can be caused by nasal congestion or inflammation, recessed jaw, low hyoid bone positioning and high fat concentration in the submental area, hypothyroidism, acid reflux, weak muscles, and a deviated septum. You can cure it through surgery, better health habits, or a CPAP machine, and you can cope by sleeping on your side and doing neck and facial exercises that strengthen the throat muscles, such as these.

7) Beliefs

● Mindset plays a big role in everything life-related, sleep included. If you didn't get your magical 8 hours of sleep of the day, don't obsess about it and think that your productivity is going to be terrible or that your day is ruined. Apply the 80/20 rule to your sleep protocol and focus on getting better rest the next day rather than feeling pessimistic in the present moment.

As we've already covered, your body slowly shutdowns throughout the afternoon and evening. For this reason, preparing yourself hours ahead and facilitating that process can help tremendously for better sleep. A few of these could be:

Take a warm shower 1 to 2 hours before going to bed. This imitates the temperature drop your body naturally flows in the evening and also relaxes your muscles, making you fall asleep more easily. When you take a warm shower, your peripheral blood vessels dilate, resulting in a rise of skin temperature. After getting out, the temperature shock by exposure to the external air causes a drop in body temperature levels, imitating your circadian rhythm.

Work as hard as possible throughout the day. As you have already probably noticed, whenever we have a big day and get lots of things done we naturally feel more sleepy by the end of it. On the other hand, the more "nothing" you do, the less sleepy you'll feel. By requiring a bigger amount of effort from your own body for daily activities, cellular byproduct production will increase, which results in more adenosine linking to your brain. If you're not falling asleep quickly, maybe putting more into your workflow could enhance that feeling by the end of the day. Try to get as much done in the morning, and unwind during the afternoon.

It's also important to notice that your body doesn't differentiate between weekdays and weekends. Maintaining a schedule that fits into your routine 24/7 is crucial for sleep health and circadian stability. If you're going out, drinking, and sleeping late, try to wake up max 2 hours after your usual in order to mitigate fluctuation downsides.

But let's suppose this isn't feasible. Then begs the question, should I oversleep, or wake up in my usual setting sleep deprived? The answer is up to you. If you oversleep, you'll feel more replenished and productive that day, but your circadian rhythm will have shifted. In case you wake up at the same time, but with fewer sleep hours, said shift will be less severe, but your energy won't be at the max. Apply accordingly.

8) Environment

Make your room cold: the perfect temperature setting for the night is between 62 and 66 Fahrenheit, or 16 to 19 Celsius.

Get rid of all the lights in your room besides overhead and lamps: any light during nighttime is a distraction, will elevate your cortisol, block your melatonin production and dysregulate your cycle. Avoid artificial lights as soon as possible before getting into bed.

Get blackout curtains and possibly an eye mask: your room should be able to get pitch black during noon. If you still have any light entrance, use an eye mask (a non-irritating one).

Get a weighted blanket close to 10% of your total body weight for better sleep. Source here.

Invest in a high-quality mattress: there's no point in spending 1/3 of your life on a cheap mattress. There are several high-tech mattresses out in the market which regulate their own temperature accordingly to yours and can greatly improve your rest with other features included. If you have the money, it's worth looking into.

Orthopedic pillow: as we've covered before, sleeping on your side is the best position possible. Although this is true, it may cause shoulder, neck, and spine issues (as with every other sleeping position), which can be reduced by resting on an ergonomic surface.

White noise: if you're a slight sleeper, adding white noise to the background can help. This creates a stable and consistent noise level throughout your sleep which can avoid baseline differentiation sounds to wake you up, mask other annoying sounds in your surrounding, and create a soothing effect by association with the noise, prompting your brain to fall asleep faster.

Avoid EMFs in your sleeping room: it is well known that Electromagnetic Fields are harmful to our health in general, but they can also worsen your sleep by blocking melatonin secretion, interfering with brain activity during sleep, and increasing oxidative stress at a cellular level. To avoid this, get rid of all electronic devices in your room and place them as far as possible throughout your house. At nighttime, turn them off. There are also products in the market that serve as EMF shields.

Blue light screen filters and glasses: most screens nowadays are embedded with the option to reduce blue light emission and brightness closer to the evening. On top of that, special glasses with light filters are also an option. The only problem is that by using these, your focus is still on the screen, so you will inherently maintain the will to be awake since you're focused on a specific activity.
Keep in mind that these filters are not 100% effective. Blue light blocks roughly 80% of melatonin production, red light blocks 40%, and fire or candle light blocks around 2%.

If you've ever gone out to buy some glasses, many times you are advertised to install blue light blocking lenses packed together with your prescription ones. While these indeed partially block blue light, it doesn't even come close to being effective, rather just another scam to grab your money. Blocking lenses can be clear (blocks 20-40%), yellow (blocks 40 to 70%), and red (block 90 to 99%). The ones you get offered to install are always the clear ones because no one wants to be walking outdoors with these on:

View attachment 2193837

9) Intakes

● Ingesting salt tabs with (ideally) gatorade before bed can help with nocturnal urination. The salt and the electrolytes will "bloat" you slightly and retain the water overnight, so you don't feel the urge to wake up mid-sleep to go to the bathroom.

Melatonin is originally produced from serotonin. When your pineal gland signals to release melatonin, serotonin is converted to NAS through the AANAT enzyme. Afterward, NAS is converted to melatonin through the HIOMT enzyme. With this in mind, it's important to produce enough serotonin capable of sustaining a good mood throughout the day, and ensure proper melatonin production. As we've already covered, supplementing melatonin directly is a terrible idea, so to increase your serotonin naturally, you can:

Maintain healthy habits in general (water stuff like less anxiety and stress, meditation, having an active social life, etc).

Foods that boost serotonin (tryptophan-rich): eggs, cheese, pineapples, tofu, salmon, nuts and seeds, turkey, chicken, milk, seafood in general, dairy, lentils, beans, chickpeas, red meat, bananas, quinoa, buckwheat, oats, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, dark chocolate.

Always eat at the same time of the day: by eating in the same time window frequently, you adjust your circadian rhythm to digestion and bowel movements accordingly. This will help reduce drowsiness and energy spikes and downs by the afternoon, and maintain glucose homeostasis.

Nasal strips work by physically widening the nasal passages and improving airflow. They can be used in order to help with sleep apnea, snoring, congestion and exercise, but are also a great sleep quality improver in general since your oxygenation levels will improve, making you wake up feeling better.

Don't use stimulants after 10 AM: The half-life of caffeine is about 7 hours. Let's say you use 500mg as pre workout at 10 AM - at midnight, your blood will still have 125mg. Only use stimulants earlier in the day and at low doses, as little frequently as possible. If necessary, cycle them (4 days on, 3 days off).

Have your last meal and drink 3 to 2 hours before bed - by eating and drinking right before bedtime, you increase metabolism and body temperature when it's supposed to shut down. To prevent this, concentrate your water intake and meals earlier in the day until the afternoon, to give yourself proper rest. This also reduces your chances of waking up in the middle of the night, leading to less sleep fragmentation.

10) Habits

Getting sunlight in the early morning: prompts your suprachiasmatic nucleus to set your internal clock - this will make you more energetic in the morning hours and facilitate sleep during nighttime. On the same note, getting light in the morning is as important as avoiding it during the night; make sure your eyes receive natural sunlight or at least blue light from the time you wake up until roughly 3 PM.

Meditation or breathing exercises before going to bed: lowers cortisol and puts the brain in a zen state by reducing norepinephrine and body temp.

Workout earlier in the day: after a workout, our body temperature maintains itself high for a couple of hours in order to respond to the physical demand the muscles just went through. Although physical exercise might make you sleepy, exercising not too close to bedtime is best.

Make an alarm for when to sleep and not when to wake up: this is huge. It's crucial to notice that your body shouldn't have a correct time of waking up (it should naturally wake up at the same hours in response to your epigenetic input, and rest as much as necessary), but instead, the correct timing of always sleeping on the same schedule. This makes a life-changing impact when done right.

Orgasms prompt the release of oxytocin, known as the love hormone, and prolactin. Both of these cause a feeling of well-being and relaxation, which can aid sleep. It also reduces body temp and releases endorphins and serotonin, all of which contribute to better rest.

11) Supplements

● Magnesium Glycinate: makes your dreams wild and vivid; increases your sleep time and sleep quality. Probably the most impactful supplement from this stack. Take 400mg before bed.

● Glycine: promotes body coolness, helps neurotransmitters protein synthesis and supports stable energy levels throughout the day. Take 1g during nighttime.

● Ashwagandha: reduces stress and anxiety, and promotes GABA production (anti-neuronal excitability). Take 500mg in the evening or before bed.

● 5-HTP: an amino acid the body produces from tryptophan. A precursor to serotonin, which converts to melatonin. Take 200mg on an empty stomach.

Dont Be Retard Theory

That was a good thread, but what this dude below says is true and is a common mistake I see many people making. Supplementing every single vitamin and mineral is not only counterproductive but also useless as you can just get most of them by diet. And lots of these supplements aren't truly researched backed.

A much better option is to take a multivitamin and supplement only what is hard to get with diet (I personally only take d3 + k2 and omega 3). A sleep supplement like this one from MPMD is a good alternative too as it makes things simpler, although not necessary:

Overall though, that was useful and a good summary without any bs pseudoscience like you see in 99% of BOTB, so I bookmarked it.

great thread except for the supplements listed here, you aren't giving us any science to back up why to take all of this, seems overkill.

Just go with a healthy diet instead of these supplements

What's your take on sleeping 10-12 hours ( and naturally waking up after that), is it perhaps late puberty at age 18-19, or is it because of shit sleep quality which makes the body need more sleep hours.
And what do you think about wetdreams, they wake me up every few days. Avoiding food and drinks before bed reduces the frequency of them but never cures them.
Plus, you should mention earplugs in your thread, they're a game changer.

High IQ. My 58 year old father has been yapping about 90% of the things listed here long before my inception. He always said if I want to be tall, never stay awake after 1 AM.

Thanks for that actually that’s pretty motivating. I’m gonna read it today 🫡
Just wanna say that I did actually implement these tips and have improved my sleep schedule by so much. Went from going to bed at 3 am and waking up at 11-12pm, to waking up consistently at 6 am refreshed. Swallow the sleep pill 💊

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: Fiqh and garoupilled_
this is the only pseudoscience bs i've seen in your thread
high quality thread tho

definitely using ts cause i been sleeping like ass for the past few weeks

just don't eat anything before bed theory..

What if I told you...

that when taken daily...

Would you take it?

Table of contents
4) Napping
6) Sleep apnea
7) Beliefs
8) Environment
9) Intake
10) Habits
11) Supplements

1) Introduction

CircadianRhythmmin.png
b768cc10.jpg

sleep-like-gorilla.jpeg

4) Napping

6) Sleep apnea

7) Beliefs

8) Environment

View attachment 2193837

9) Intakes

10) Habits

11) Supplements

thx bro .....youre a G :Comfy: :feelsautistic:

• +1
Reactions: Fiqh
What if I told you...

that when taken daily...

Would you take it?

Table of contents
4) Napping
6) Sleep apnea
7) Beliefs
8) Environment
9) Intake
10) Habits
11) Supplements

1) Introduction

CircadianRhythmmin.png
b768cc10.jpg

sleep-like-gorilla.jpeg

4) Napping

6) Sleep apnea

7) Beliefs

8) Environment

View attachment 2193837

9) Intakes

10) Habits

11) Supplements

About #3 with sleeping position:

What about sleep wrinkles? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrinkle#Sleep_wrinkles

Would it be okay if I used an anti-wrinkle pillow like this? https://sleepandglow.com/omnia

What if I told you...

that when taken daily...

Would you take it?

Table of contents
4) Napping
6) Sleep apnea
7) Beliefs
8) Environment
9) Intake
10) Habits
11) Supplements

1) Introduction

CircadianRhythmmin.png
b768cc10.jpg

sleep-like-gorilla.jpeg

4) Napping

6) Sleep apnea

7) Beliefs

8) Environment

View attachment 2193837

9) Intakes

10) Habits

11) Supplements

Can i
(kept going in comments)
12) What the perfect circadian flow schedule looks like

● 2:00 AM: Deepest sleep phase (slow-wave sleep) - physical repair and GH release

● 4:30 AM: Lowest temp point, REM sleep starts, dreams

● 6:00 AM: Cortisol rises, still in light sleep phase

● 6:45 AM: Blood pressure increase, preparing to wake up

● 7:30 AM: Melatonin secretion stops, light exposure fastens the halt

● 8:00 AM: Body is fully awake, and digestion commences. Best time for breakfast and hydration.

● 10:00 AM: Highest attention and alertness levels of the day. Best time for mental work

● 12:00 AM: Digestive enzymes peak. Best time for the biggest meal of the day

● 2:30 PM: Best hand and physical coordination time of the day

● 3:30 PM: Best reaction time of the day

● 5:00 PM: Cardiovascular and muscle strength at their peak. Best time for physical activity

● 6:30 PM: Blood pressure peak of the day

● 7:00 PM: Highest body temp of the day. Body signals to wind down

● 9:00 PM: Exposure to light blocks secretion. Melatonin secretion starts

● 10:00 PM: Melatonin continues to rise and body temp lowers. Best time to be ready for sleep

● 11:00 PM: First sleep cycle commences.
Can i sleep at 7 pm? Or 8, since i have to go to school 6 AM everyday.