TMD megathread

quattazel

quattazel

Professional idiot
Alright lads, this is going to be a long one...

Here's your tempromandibular joint (TMJ):

TMJ disorders - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Whenever you open your mouth, talk, eat, gawp, etc. you will utilise this joint so it is of paramount importance that you know how to make sure you don't get temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD).

What is TMD?
It's a condition affecting the movement of your jaw, which results in pain (sometimes serious). Symptoms include:
  • Pain/tenderness of your jaw and TMJ
  • Aching pain in and around your ear
  • Difficulty chewing or pain while chewing
  • Aching facial pain
  • Jaw clicking, crepitation (cracking) or popping
  • Locking of your joint, making it difficult to open or close your mouth
Solutions for pain include painkillers, muscle relaxants, and tricyclic antidepressants in low doses. Ice packs, heat pads and therapy also help too.

Approximately 33% of the population has at least one TMD symptom and 3.6% to 7% of the population has TMD with sufficient severity to cause them to seek treatment. – Edward & North, 2009 (link)

Patients with chronic TMD frequently report symptoms of depression, poor sleep quality, and low energy. Furthermore, chronic TMD has been found to interfere with normal social activity and interpersonal relationships and to negatively affect the ability to maintain employment. – Morris et al., 1997 (link)

Let's take a look at the causes...

How is it caused?
There are some obvious causes such as trauma to the jaw and genetic predispositions/disorders, BUT it can also be caused by:
  • A recessed maxilla
  • Stress
  • Bruxism
When proper nasal breathing and/or Mewing is not practised (aka proper breathing with the tongue on the roof of your mouth), breathing from the mouth occurs which causes the the upper arch (top part of your mouth) to narrow as a result of an imbalance of pressure from the cheeks causing the picture below:

This forces the TMJ to move distally (away from where it is), which will eventually cause problems. Here is a good video on this.

Stress may cause bruxism, which is the involuntary grinding of your teeth in sleep, which can agitate the TMJ. One test for this is to check if your jaw is unusually tight/painful upon waking.

When the maxilla and mandible do not achieve their genetic potential in length, width, or vertical position, the effects are seen in mal-relationships and dysfunctions in the patient’s tissues, bones, muscles, and nerves. The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) relationship may then become compromised when this occurs, as it compensates for the discrepancies in normal growth and development. [...] If this space is insufficient or reduced or restricted and the condylar head grows posterosuperiorly or is iatrogenically repositioned posteriorly or posterosuperiorly, the condyle will pinch this tissue and usually the result will be pain. – Sims & Stack, 2007 (link to PDF)

YOU SHOULD NOT GO ON A CHEWING MARATHON IF YOU HAVE ANY JAW JOINT PROBLEMS!!!

You will cause yourself pain and TMD if you have any of these symptoms mentioned above in the first section, as it causes further agitation of the TMJ. A way to check if you have jaw joint problems is if you put your pinky fingers in your ears and open and close your mouth. Any clicking, creaking, popping etc. means you have a potential problem. Another way to check is to see how many fingers you can put in your mouth when it is at its maximum opening (three is good). Here is a video from Dr Mew talking about the risk.

How do we go about fixing or preventing TMJ?

Solutions to TMD (and mitigation of pain)

Magnesium
The first solution is by taking magnesium supplements. Magnesium is vital for muscle function and insufficient consumption or utilisation causes bruxism. Taking 100mg of magnesium (for adults) causes a reduction or sometimes disappearance of bruxism symptoms, which can reoccur if these supplements are stopped. This is one way to resolve bruxism, which has the additional benefit of better sleep quality.

A magnesium-deficient diet is said to cause frequent teeth grinding in both sleeping and awake pigs. In humans, the suggested treatment involves magnesium supplements. According to Ploceni, for instance, prolonged magnesium administration nearly always provides a cure for bruxism. This confirms the earlier report of Lehvila, which claimed remarkable reductions (and sometimes even disappearance) in the frequency and duration of grinding episodes in six patients who took, once a day, a tablet of assorted vitamins and minerals which included 25 mg (in children) or 100 mg (in adults) of magnesium), for at least five weeks. When the supplements' intake stopped, the symptoms returned. - Moti Nissani, 2001 (link)

Fixing Forward Head Posture
There is a high correlation between forward head posture and TMD. This is because the mandible (lower part of the jaw which you can move) is attached to the sternum through the hyoid musculature, and moving the head more forward results in a greater pull of the mandible from those structures. Fixing this (and your posture in general) should help to prevent or mitigate the effects.

Based on these findings, it was concluded that changing mandibular position affected body posture. Conversely, changing body posture affected mandibular position. – Sakaguchi et al., 2007 (link)

F000043f004-004-9781455709779.jpg

Mandibular Protraction (IMPORTANT!)
This will help the most in resolving TMD symptoms. Since we've already established that the mandible is in a wrong position with TMD, protract the jaw by about 2-4 millimeters and stay there.

movement-protraction-retraction.png

You must also make sure that you protract the jaw WITHOUT tensing the supra hyoid muscles. Strengthen the pterygoid muscles (click on image to zoom in):

The lateral pterygoid can be strengthened by opening the jaw forward and downward while resisting with your palm. Make sure to also control the eccentric phase (reversal).

The medial pterygoid can be strengthened by closing the jaw forward, form an open base position. Once again, use your palm as resistance and make sure to control the eccentric phase.

In summary:
  1. Close your mouth with your lips, and breathe with your nose
  2. Optimise your tongue posture and swallowing technique
  3. Posturally protract your mandible 2-4 millimeters from maximal retraction (most important).
  4. Learn proper jaw opening and closing (second most important)
  5. Fix your FHP
  6. Avoid habitual jaw clenching during stress, exercise, and so on

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: 5.5psl, Deleted member 2816, LastHopeForNorman and 9 others
good thread

• +1
Reactions: quattazel
Addendum:
These solutions take around 4 weeks to see any effects, and the lack thereof is usually down to severe bruxism

good thread
Cheers mate

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6400
bump

• +1
protraction is the opposite of what u wanna do. clearly u have no idea what you're talking about. if ur lower jaw is recessed bringing it forward to match ur maxilla is unnatural.

• +1
Thanks comrade.

• +1
protraction is the opposite of what u wanna do. clearly u have no idea what you're talking about. if ur lower jaw is recessed bringing it forward to match ur maxilla is unnatural.

How is it unnatural? When surgeries are done for TMD, they balance the bite which is already wrong in the first place. People also make the mistake of opening their mouths (and not protracting the mandible) as you can see below (black arrow for mandibular retraction and red arrow for the subluxation of the condyle in TMJ)

This is how it should be opened:

Here is also a video on this

i have some slight problems in my left tmj. it has been slowly going away thanks to tongue posture and all that, despite me doing a lot of chewing.

• +1
how long/often should you do the protraction? is it like a stretch or what?

• +1
how long/often should you do the protraction? is it like a stretch or what?
For life/as long as possible until proper growth or surgery, but it should become second nature to you. That's because you don't want to affect the joint as a result of the mandible going backwards

• +1
Reactions: buflek
For life/as long as possible until proper growth or surgery, but it should become second nature to you. That's because you don't want to affect the joint as a result of the mandible going backwards
You have a source for the protraction thing being helpful?

• +1
You have a source for the protraction thing being helpful?

I don't have a direct source unfortunately as it is just a logical inference, but I do have a source that I've just quickly pulled up that seems to suggest that using protraction headgear does the same thing and resolves pain

I don't have a direct source unfortunately as it is just a logical inference, but I do have a source that I've just quickly pulled up that seems to suggest that using protraction headgear does the same thing and resolves pain

Well, I just did the resisted protraction - and now my clicking is chronically worse when chewing.

• +1
Well, I just did the resisted protraction - and now my clicking is chronically worse when chewing.
I apologise if you've already done this, but have you put your head in a posturally correct way? My jaw clicks and moves laterally to the left when I don't practice good posture but the symptoms subside whenever I keep my head straight.

I'll edit the post to show that it isn't 'scientifically' approved, thank you

• +1
Reactions: KingScrew
I apologise if you've already done this, but have you put your head in a posturally correct way? My jaw clicks and moves laterally to the left when I don't practice good posture but the symptoms subside whenever I keep my head straight.

I'll edit the post to show that it isn't 'scientifically' approved, thank you
Haha no worries, that would describe the whole site.

Now it actually is better than am I used too (did some lateral/diagonal stretches)

• +1
The "don't chew" thing is sad, because I fear that it may be a masseter muscle imbalance that is causing the issue for me, which is targeted on the left side.

• +1
The "don't chew" thing is sad, because I fear that it may be a masseter muscle imbalance that is causing the issue for me, which is targeted on the left side.
I think if there's a serious problem, then great care should be taken. If you can get rid of bruxism (if you have any), fix your posture and protract the jaw then your risk of TMD is greatly reduced, which means you're fine to keep chewing just don't screw yourself up in the process lol

How is it unnatural? When surgeries are done for TMD, they balance the bite which is already wrong in the first place. People also make the mistake of opening their mouths (and not protracting the mandible) as you can see below (black arrow for mandibular retraction and red arrow for the subluxation of the condyle in TMJ)
View attachment 486869

This is how it should be opened:

View attachment 486871

Here is also a video on this

my mandible is set back and i think thats why i have jaw clicking. so should my mouth be jutting when i chew. it juts forward to match with my incisors then comes back so i can chew

Do I need to do the protracting thing even if I dont have an overbite? Because I can do it even so and interestingly the clicking sound disappears in my right TMJ but sometimes I get a scratching sound in my left TMJ