To Fast Or Not To Fast: A Stem Cell Based Perspective (Fasting AGES You GTFIH! BOTB!)

Youㅤ

Youㅤ

seriousmaxxing , only talk serious
As a devoted anti-ageing scientist, I decided to reconsider the utility of prolonged fasting for the purpose of anti-ageing, for I have realized that I must question everything. Most people think in simple terms , like "exercise good" and "sugar bad" , when reality is actually extremely nuanced , AND so many common notions are generally wrong, like "red meat bad" . I have done prolonged fasting in the past for "stem cells" without understanding the theory . I now recognize that you cannot trust your intuition , jews have reprogrammed ur intuition consciously and subconsciously . Perhaps , for most people , the perception that fasting is anti ageing is deep rooted in the fallacy of "being healthy means discipline" (ex. vegetables , exercise , and maybe starvemaxxing too ?!) , although people consciously rationalize fasting with "autophagy" . I have devised a mechanistic theory of stem cell ageing based on my reading .

You's Theory of stem cell ageing: Asymmetric stem cell division has the benefit of utilizeing the premise of the immortal strand hypothesis so that the new chromatin is attributed to the differentiated cell to preserve the mutation-free DNA of stem cell pools. With age, JNK increases, augmenting stem cell orientation of the spindles so that differentiation is more often self-renewal. This can prevent stem cell pools from diminishing with age, which can happen due to senescence of stem cells or apoptosis. However, this leads to dysplasia of tissues and also the ageing of stem cell pools by preventing utilization of the premise of the immortal strand hypothesis. The stem cell pools accumulate mutations and this leads to abnormal differentiated cells and potentially tumorigenesis (generation of tumor).

Prolonged fasting (PF) promotes stem cell self-renewal , at least in hematopoietic stem cells (Cheng et al) , which is division of a stem cell into two stem cells . Self renewal is problematic because in cell division , the DNA is duplicated , but the new DNA could have errors . Stem cells in youth utilize asymmetric division, which means they split into one stem cell and one differentiated cell, more than in older age (Florian et al) The immortal strand hypothesis , proposed in 1975 by John Cairns , is that stem cells preferentially attribute the new copy of DNA (and thus potentially mutated) to the differentiated cell rather than the stem cell when undergoing asymmetric division .

But is the immortal strand hypothesis supported ? Sotiropoulou et al have demonstrated that the new chromatin was randomly distributed in mouse hair follicle stem cells in vivo . However , the immortal strand hypothesis has been supported in neural stem cells and muscle satellite stem cells (Karpowics et all) (Shinin et al) (Conboy et al) (Ferron et al) . I would not consider the hypothesis disproven , and it's my opinion that it occurs to at least some degree . Would be nice to have more data .

This makes sense to me now , fasting puts the body into starvation mode . it has a poor supply of energy and so it makes compromises . Prolonged fasting puts the body out of a "pro-stemness" mode and into a "pro-function" mode . The rejuvenation from fasting is a short-term benefit I speculate in terms of stem cells . Stem cell proliferation during fasting , or elsetime , is a pro-function activity . For longevity , a pro-stemness state is optimal , u want ur stem cells in quiescence , or dormancy .

Forced proliferation of stem cells (based on the immortal strand hypothesis , self-renewal aged stem cells more) accelerates ageing . Canonical Wnt signalling promotes stem cell self renewal , but overactivation leads to premature senescence of epidermal stem cells in transgenic mice (Castilho et al) .

My perception now from a stem cell based perspective is that prolonged fasting puts stem cells into a pro-function mode and recycles tissues , leading to a short term rejuvenation , but long term ageing . Now , I want to make it clear that this is a stem cell based perspective , and i am interested to hear opinions from an "autophagy" based perspective or a growth/fecundity inhibition perspective .

Last edited:
  • +1
  • JFL
  • Woah
Reactions: lookmaxascend, Faaska, spirili and 10 others
i dont understand what the fuck you just said

• +1
Reactions: LooksThinker
  • +1
Reactions: blmratiopiggypoop
BOTB worthy

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: blmratiopiggypoop and datboijj
d

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 51465
n

• +1
r

• +1
(someone needs to rep +1 to those)

• Ugh..
  • +1
Reactions: horsefacin, Deleted member 51465 and Youㅤ
@Informationcapitali @enchanted_elixir ik u are knowledgeable on stem cells

As a devoted anti-ageing scientist, I decided to reconsider the utility of prolonged fasting for the purpose of anti-ageing, for I have realized that I must question everything. Most people think in simple terms , like "exercise good" and "sugar bad" , when reality is actually extremely nuanced , AND so many common notions are generally wrong, like "red meat bad" . I have done prolonged fasting in the past for "stem cells" without understanding the theory . I now recognize that you cannot trust your intuition , jews have reprogrammed ur intuition consciously and subconsciously . Perhaps , for most people , the perception that fasting is anti ageing is deep rooted in the fallacy of "being healthy means discipline" (ex. vegetables , exercise , and maybe starvemaxxing too ?!) , although people consciously rationalize fasting with "autophagy" . I have devised a mechanistic theory of stem cell ageing based on my reading .

You's Theory of stem cell ageing: Asymmetric stem cell division has the benefit of utilizeing the premise of the immortal strand hypothesis so that the new chromatin is attributed to the differentiated cell to preserve the mutation-free DNA of stem cell pools. With age, JNK increases, augmenting stem cell orientation of the spindles so that differentiation is more often self-renewal. This can prevent stem cell pools from diminishing with age, which can happen due to senescence of stem cells or apoptosis. However, this leads to dysplasia of tissues and also the ageing of stem cell pools by preventing utilization of the premise of the immortal strand hypothesis. The stem cell pools accumulate mutations and this leads to abnormal differentiated cells and potentially tumorigenesis (generation of tumor).

Prolonged fasting (PF) promotes stem cell self-renewal , at least in hematopoietic stem cells (Cheng et al) , which is division of a stem cell into two stem cells . Self renewal is problematic because in cell division , the DNA is duplicated , but the new DNA could have errors . Stem cells in youth utilize asymmetric division, which means they split into one stem cell and one differentiated cell, more than in older age (Florian et al) The immortal strand hypothesis , proposed in 1975 by John Cairns , is that stem cells preferentially attribute the new copy of DNA (and thus potentially mutated) to the differentiated cell rather than the stem cell when undergoing asymmetric division .

But is the immortal strand hypothesis supported ? Sotiropoulou et al have demonstrated that the new chromatin was randomly distributed in mouse hair follicle stem cells in vivo . However , the immortal strand hypothesis has been supported in neural stem cells and muscle satellite stem cells (Karpowics et all) (Shinin et al) (Conboy et al) (Ferron et al) . I would not consider the hypothesis disproven , and it's my opinion that it occurs to at least some degree . Would be nice to have more data .

This makes sense to me now , fasting puts the body into starvation mode . it has a poor supply of energy and so it makes compromises . Prolonged fasting puts the body out of a "pro-stemness" mode and into a "pro-function" mode . The rejuvenation from fasting is a short-term benefit I speculate in terms of stem cells . Stem cell proliferation during fasting , or elsetime , is a pro-function activity . For longevity , a pro-stemness state is optimal , u want ur stem cells in quiescence , or dormancy .

Forced proliferation of stem cells (based on the immortal strand hypothesis , self-renewal aged stem cells more) accelerates ageing . Canonical Wnt signalling promotes stem cell self renewal , but overactivation leads to premature senescence of epidermal stem cells in transgenic mice (Castilho et al) .

My perception now from a stem cell based perspective is that prolonged fasting puts stem cells into a pro-function mode and recycles tissues , leading to a short term rejuvenation , but long term ageing . Now , I want to make it clear that this is a stem cell based perspective , and i am interested to hear opinions from an "autophagy" based perspective or a growth/fecundity inhibition perspective .
Hyperplasia method and primal diet does that also sleeping

so your thesis is that hormesis is good in the short term but bad in the long term, but you haven't tried to actually verify it with data, so why not do that

Not even the first letter.

• +1
Hyperplasia method and primal diet does that also sleeping
what is the hyperplasia method ? satellite cell differentiation would be pro-ageing in terms of stem cells but im not sure of the extent that the pro-ageing stem cell effect would be confined to the muscles

• +1
Sounds like cope

• +1
Reactions: changemywayz and datboijj
so your thesis is that hormesis is good in the short term but bad in the long term, but you haven't tried to actually verify it with data, so why not do that
I am not talking about hormesis , not once did i mention it . im talking about fasting and stem cell ageing , actually read my post

• +1
What do you mean by prolonged fasting anyway? What's the minimum? 24 hours? 3 days?

• +1
Reactions: nofap, datboijj and Youㅤ
Not a single word.
Will read later.
Also not botb worthy, it's just paragraphs. Learn formatting to make it botb worthy

What do you mean by prolonged fasting anyway? What's the minimum? 24 hours? 3 days?
by prolonged fasting i mean the general idea of fasting in consecutive days not "intermittent fasting" or time restricted feeding

i havent defined a specific minimum time period but it can be defined as "48–120 hours" as it is in (Cheng et al)

imo i would not have a maximum for "prolonged fasting" but a minimum of 2 days is reasonable

Last edited:
  • +1
Not a single word.
Will read later.
Also not botb worthy, it's just paragraphs. Learn formatting to make it botb worthy
makeing it the gay flag so that retards are interested is not helpful . i want to benefit fellow devoted healthmaxxers not attract retards

• +1
makeing it the gay flag so that retards are interested is not helpful . i want to benefit fellow devoted healthmaxxers not attract retards
Jfl I did mention reading it later, didn't deny anything u said yet.

Talking about the formatting. Can do a better job in it, alongside sourcing your claims with actual studies (you did it) and results.

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Youㅤ
Most scientific studies are paid propaganda anyway. In my mind what makes the most amount of sense is that the less you eat the longer your life span. Because digesting food takes energy and cells can only be renewed a certain amount, so the less often your body has to digest food and work the longer you can live. Maybe that is extremely simplified but overall with a few details missing here and there I think it's the truth.

bump (will read later)

• +1
Jfl I did mention reading it later, didn't deny anything u said yet.

Talking about the formatting. Can do a better job in it, alongside sourcing your claims with actual studies and results.
i have plently of sources if u want to read , i just didnt include excerpts for that would take up space

Most scientific studies are paid propaganda anyway. In my mind what makes the most amount of sense is that the less you eat the longer your life span. Because digesting food takes energy and cells can only be renewed a certain amount, so the less often your body has to digest food and work the longer you can live. Maybe that is extremely simplified but overall with a few details missing here and there I think it's the truth.
if digesting food ages u because it takes energy , well fasting depletes energy lol

there is a lot of evidence for CR and time restricted feeding extending lifespan , but theres many problems with the CR studies . i do think that the IGF-1 and TOR inhibition is anti ageing, which u could get most of the benefits from low protein . the rodents are fed diets high in AGEs, and high AGE cancels out the benefits of CR whilst low AGE extends ad lib lifespan. also rodents get purified diets with the same micronutrients regardless of calories in many studies , in humans if u eat less u get less micronutrients .

The Immortal strand theory suggests that one immortal strand accumulates to counter act the genetic mutation in another stem cell, so it really doesn't make sense to say that increasing the rate of cell division will lead to more genetic mutation. Also, a 2 week-long fasting won't do shit and the benefits from autophagy is greater and it has actual scientific data to support it.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: datboijj and Youㅤ
The Immortal strand theory suggests that one immortal strand accumulates to counter act the genetic mutation in another stem cell
what exactly do u mean by this , and also , source ?

so it really doesn't make sense to say that increasing the rate of cell division will lead to more genetic mutation
cell divisions mean replication of DNA . replication can have errors .

Also, a 2 week-long fasting won't do shit and the benefits from autophagy is greater and it has actual scientific data to support it.
2 weeks fasting is a long time . what's the best literature relateing to autophagy that u have read ?

I've read somewhere that fasting reduces collagen production to less than 10% of normal

not worth

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: autistic_tendencies, datboijj and ripikke
i have plently of sources if u want to read , i just didnt include excerpts for that would take up space

if digesting food ages u because it takes energy , well fasting depletes energy lol

there is a lot of evidence for CR and time restricted feeding extending lifespan , but theres many problems with the CR studies . i do think that the IGF-1 and TOR inhibition is anti ageing, which u could get most of the benefits from low protein . the rodents are fed diets high in AGEs, and high AGE cancels out the benefits of CR whilst low AGE extends ad lib lifespan. also rodents get purified diets with the same micronutrients regardless of calories in many studies , in humans if u eat less u get less micronutrients .
I admit I know little when it comes to this topic since I haven't researched enough but I don't trust most so called scientific sources anyway. I just act instinctively for the most part and do what I think is the most logical optionI have at hand. If I actually tried optimizing my whole diet I would stop eating processed food like ice cream or diet sodas completely.

• +1
Damn I don’t have time for breakfast in the morning. Over.

That's probably a good thing. Fasting mean not eating for multiple days. Not eating for 10-18 hours fits into that category but the effects of fastgimg one day aren't that huge.

• +1
Reactions: mog_me
Fasting is a scam
A surplus of calories heals and repairs the body

who knews stressing yourself by starving and eating your own cells ages you

dnr cause its logical that starving isnt good for the body

but fasting has anti aging benefits in the right periods of time (proofen)

I admit I know little when it comes to this topic since I haven't researched enough but I don't trust most so called scientific sources anyway. I just act instinctively for the most part and do what I think is the most logical optionI have at hand. If I actually tried optimizing my whole diet I would stop eating processed food like ice cream or diet sodas completely.
optimizeing diet is not what most people think , even tho it does end up sort of instinctive (eating animal products , fruit , honey) most normies think eating vegetables is an optimal diet

better to skip dinner

Fasting is a scam
A surplus of calories heals and repairs the body
good calorie supply is better overall , u are correct on that . it is possible that CR delays ageing by inhibiting growth , immune , reproductive capacity , those other capacities outside maintenance (anti ageing) produce byproducts that cause ageing due to antagonistic pleiotropy and the organic chemistry issue of all reactions haveing byproducts .

it is also possible that the murine model of CR is cope and doesnt apply to humans . I am looking for a way to direct resources toward maintenance on a non CR diet whilst directing them away from other capacities

• +1
Reactions: autistic_tendencies
Autophagy increases stem cell but it also increases cortisol, can imbalance hormones, inmune supression,you don't get the necesary nutrients, etc.The longer the worse will be this effects. I think, in general the ideal way to aproach this for your everyday and having longevity as your goal is the "fasting-mimicking" diet that proposed Dr Longo (after observing how people in the blue zones eat) in order to have this benefits without the drawbacks. I'd only recomend truly fasting in specific cases in order to solve some problems, all of this while tracking your progress and being supervised by an expert.

Last edited:
  • Hmm...
I'm not saying that fasting ain't useful. But it has its drawbacks and it's a tool that you should use in some specific problems that are more detrimental to your health than the posible drawback of fasting ( when I talk about fasting I'm refering of fasts of more than a day, not intermitent-fasting)

Last edited:
  • +1
Autophagy increases stem cell but it also increases cortisol, can imbalance hormones, inmune supression,you don't get the necesary nutrients, etc.The longer the worse will be this effects. I think, in general the ideal way to aproach this for your everyday and having longevity as your goal is the "fasting-mimicking" diet that proposed Dr Longo (after observing how people in the blue zones eat) in order to have this benefits without the drawbacks. I'd only recomend truly fasting in specific cases in order to solve some problems, all of this while tracking your progress and being supervised by an expert.
I have not looked into autophagy so idk how it affects stem cells , but increaseing stem cells is harmful according to my theory .

The immune suppression during fasting would have the benefit of less ageing (immune = inflammation)

Fasting mimicking diet is an intriguing strategy , but eating vegetables during a fast would take away the aspect of giveing ur digestive system a break (vegetables hard to digest )

Maybe a fat fast or a juice fast would be better ?

Protein restriction is probably the most important thing during a fast , ketosis also is increased and the juice could interfere with that so a fat fast could be better . But juice provides more nutrients than purified fat

Not sure if ketosis is a good thing tho , methylgloxal may be elevated

Last edited:

Bryan johnson do fasting so dndr

Not all fasting is the same, that might be true for prolonged fasting and doing it over and over
Intermittent fasting is a different story

Not all fasting is the same, that might be true for prolonged fasting and doing it over and over
Intermittent fasting is a different story
Yeah I was talking about prolonged fasting , I should have been more clear

Intermittent fasting is good if u eat early instead of late

What about short fasting
For instance 16-24 hours

enchanted elixir type thread

Good read. I’ve always wondered why Aajonus was against fasting so much despite everyone today claiming it’s the secret to health. Not smart enough to contribute to your autophagy question. Sorry

• +1
What about short fasting
For instance 16-24 hours
good as long as u eat early

constistent trf promotes efficiency

Good read. I’ve always wondered why Aajonus was against fasting so much despite everyone today claiming it’s the secret to health. Not smart enough to contribute to your autophagy question. Sorry
u dont have to be that smart just have to think about it a lot by reading to say something useful on autophagy

fasting i dont think is the secret to health even if it was benefiical , u cant just rely on one thing . healthmaxxing is about everything