Tretinoin vs Adapalene

gymislife

gymislife

Basically retin-a has been shown to bind to all 3 Retinoic Acid Receptors (alpha, beta and gamma), whereas adapalene binds only to receptor beta and gamma, so then what's the point of using adapalene when retin-a is superior? Why do some people say adapalene is better for acne?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 2621
your sig = the dream

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9890 and gymislife
sry cant help with the skincare shit, for me matrixyl does it

giphy.gif

From what I can tell, people generally only use adapalene when they can't handle retin-a

Some say it's better for acne, but from my research on Reddit- adapalene does not result in the 'tret glow' so many users get on retin-a

• +1
Reactions: gymislife
My retin-a just arrived yesterday, and I tried it for the first time last night. I'm swapping from adapalene, so I'll report my results soon

• +1
From what I can tell, people generally only use adapalene when they can't handle retin-a

Some say it's better for acne, but from my research on Reddit- adapalene does not result in the 'tret glow' so many users get on retin-a
My retin-a just arrived yesterday, and I tried it for the first time last night. I'm swapping from adapalene, so I'll report my results soon
i've used tretinoin 0.05% before and had some improvement in acne but the rest of my routine wasn't very good and my diet wasn't perfect.

now i've been using epiduo (adapalene+benzoyl peroxide) every other day for like month and a half with no irritation whatsoever, so now I'll add retin-a 0.025% on alternate days along with the epiduo, that should be a killer routine for acne since both tret and epiduo have different mechanisms of action in the treatment of acne, also epiduo is pretty effective for acne but not that effective for anti-aging (and also the adapalene only binds to the beta and gamma receptors), so there comes the retin-a into play.

jcau13te9u261.png

• Love it
Reactions: Deleted member 9890
i've used tretinoin 0.05% before and had some improvement in acne but the rest of my routine wasn't very good and my diet wasn't perfect.

now i've been using epiduo (adapalene+benzoyl peroxide) every other day for like month and a half with no irritation whatsoever, so now I'll add retin-a 0.025% on alternate days along with the epiduo, that should be a killer routine for acne since both tret and epiduo have different mechanisms of action in the treatment of acne, also epiduo is pretty effective for acne but not that effective for anti-aging (and also the adapalene only binds to the beta and gamma receptors), so there comes the retin-a into play.

jcau13te9u261.png
3bc7604f81ddf0ab54d7bf8df2c720b2.png

there are actually people that can use both of the products in the same day, that would prob be too much for me tbh

jcau13te9u261.png
I may also try this routine

• +1
I may also try this routine
okay but it might be too irritating in the beginning, so i'd recommend doing short contact therapy with tretinoin until ur skin gets used to it:

you could also buffer with moisturizer

OP are you taking ghk-cu?

OP are you taking ghk-cu?
i'm not but once i fix acne i might add it in conjunction with tret and the collagen benefits should be sick.
https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-buffet-copper-peptides-1pct-30ml this product seems pretty good as it contains lots of other beneficial stuff besides ghk-cu, it contains matrixyl which might be even better than ghk-cu.

this thread is good:

also regarding adapalane/tretinoin/benzoyl peroxide, what might work well for you is doing short contact therapy with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide in the morning and adapalane or tretinoin in the pm (you could also do 1 night adapalane, 1 night tret and alternate like that)

• +1
Nah i use from someting-water i can check at home. I wouldnt know, I use them both
how long have you been using them for? have you seen significant collagen improvement?

i'm not but once i fix acne i might add it in conjunction with tret and the collagen benefits should be sick.
https://theordinary.deciem.com/product/rdn-buffet-copper-peptides-1pct-30ml this product seems pretty good as it contains lots of other beneficial stuff besides ghk-cu, it contains matrixyl which might be even better than ghk-cu.

this thread is good:

also regarding adapalane/tretinoin/benzoyl peroxide, what might work well for you is doing short contact therapy with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide in the morning and adapalane or tretinoin in the pm (you could also do 1 night adapalane, 1 night tret and alternate like that)
@maximusmaxxed the reason I recommend short contact therapy with benzoyl is cuz it is really irritating and it is also a bleaching agent, if you use it daily and let it absorb into your skin then overtime it could possibly turn the skin whiter/paler

• +1
how long have you been using them for? have you seen significant collagen improvement?

@maximusmaxxed the reason I recommend short contact therapy with benzoyl is cuz it is really irritating and it is also a bleaching agent, if you use it daily and let it absorb into your skin then overtime it could possibly turn the skin whiter/paler
got it- used to use when I was in my teens and fooked my skin and made it dry

I will research this

I'm also planning on incorporating glycolic acid into my regime. Would you say that is exfoliation overload, or a high iq move

got it- used to use when I was in my teens and fooked my skin and made it dry

I will research this

I'm also planning on incorporating glycolic acid into my regime. Would you say that is exfoliation overload, or a high iq move
If you get on a retinoid and benzoyl peroxide then any acids are going to be unnecessary/overkill and might do more harm than good

• +1
Yo bro how did the switch to tret go? Are u looking better acne wise?

Tretinoin and adapalene are both retinoids, which are a type of vitamin A derivative that can be used to treat acne and other skin conditions. They are both effective at reducing acne, but there are some key differences between them.

• Availability: Tretinoin is only available with a prescription, while adapalene is available over-the-counter (OTC) as Differin.
  • Potency: Tretinoin is generally considered to be more potent than adapalene, which means it can cause more skin irritation. However, adapalene is also less likely to cause irritation than other retinoids, such as isotretinoin (Accutane).
  • Efficacy: Studies have shown that adapalene is just as effective as tretinoin for treating acne.
  • Side effects: The most common side effects of both tretinoin and adapalene are dry skin, redness, and peeling. Tretinoin may also cause more severe side effects, such as sun sensitivity and eye irritation.
Which is better?

The best retinoid for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. If you are looking for an effective treatment for acne that is available OTC, then adapalene may be a good option. If you are not sensitive to skin irritation and are looking for a more potent retinoid, then tretinoin may be a better choice.

If you are unsure which retinoid is right for you, talk to your doctor or dermatologist. They can help you assess your individual needs and make a recommendation.

Here is a table summarizing the key differences between tretinoin and adapalene:

CharacteristicTretinoinAdapalene
AvailabilityPrescription onlyOver-the-counter (Differin)
PotencyMore potentLess potent
EfficacyJust as effective for treating acne" "
Side effectsDry skin, redness, peelingDry skin, redness, peeling (less severe than tretinoin)

Other considerations

In addition to the above, there are a few other things to consider when choosing between tretinoin and adapalene. These include:

• Your age: Tretinoin is not recommended for use in children under the age of 12.
  • Other medications you are taking: Some medications, such as benzoyl peroxide, can interact with retinoids. Talk to your doctor about all of the medications you are taking before using a retinoid.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I like to use tretinoin because I have no side effects. IMO you cannot go wrong either way!

adapelene burned me but tret is the goat doesnt even hurt