ㅑ초 샤ㅔㅔㄷ 댜ㅜㄻ초 ㅜㅕㄱ ㅑㄱㅎ둥댜ㅜㄷ ㄴ초댜-ㄷ, ㅍㄷㄱㄴㅅ돗 ㄷㄴ ㅓ드뭉_

Just got on my PC. Fuaaark your signature. Nice. AI-generated? Also.. what are your reasons to learn Japanese? Mine is so I can watch a Japanese horror movie without subtitles. Hahahaha. I know Japanese people don't simp over brown people speaking Japanese because of their "whitu cocku onry" mentality but I don't care because I am not doing it for them.
Japan is a fascinating country, and many Japanese people don't speak English, so learning Japanese is helpful if one wants to meet many Japanese people. Japanese have abysmal English skills. Japanese pronunciation is easy for me, making Japanese even more interesting - I feel that learning vocabulary and grammar is easier than pronunciation. I think that the pronunciation makes Japanese easier for me than Korean and Chinese.

I wouldn't mind living in Japan for at least some time, but we will see if that will ever happen. Obviously, I like Japanese girls too.

Yeah, my signature is AI-generated. Mods deleted it two times, so I had to censor the nipples.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 25938, Splinter901 and Michael Myers
The biggest problem in Japan and Asia in general is their horrible work-life balance. Otherwise they are interesting countries, especially Singapore and Japan.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25938
When did you start learning Japanese? I remember talking to you about Japanese before, with the example of "Zettai ni". See, sir? I wasn't coming from a "hehe I only watch anime so I have this kind of knowledge" type of place. And what's your level? N5?

Almost 3 years now, I don't know my current level as I spent most of my time focusing on kanji rather than on the rest of the language but I can understand like 75% of what I read without needing a dictionary (I still need to learn and internalize quite a lot of grammar) u also posted on the 日本語 thread I made in the other languages section.

• +1
Reactions: Michael Myers
Also I think the different writing system makes these languages more interesting despite making them difficult. I guess I see it kind of as an achievement to be able to read things written with kanjis.

Japan is a fascinating country, and many Japanese people don't speak English, so learning Japanese is helpful if one wants to meet many Japanese people. Japanese have abysmal English skills. Japanese pronunciation is easy for me, making Japanese even more interesting - I feel that learning vocabulary and grammar is easier than pronunciation. I think that the pronunciation makes Japanese easier for me than Korean and Chinese.

I wouldn't mind living in Japan for at least some time, but we will see if that will ever happen. Obviously, I like Japanese girls too.

Yeah, my signature is AI-generated. Mods deleted it two times, so I had to censor the nipples.
My love for horror movies is what started all of this. After being told Japanese horror movies were excellent I decided to give it a watch and I was not disappointed. At the end of every movie there's a j-pop song playing in the credits and that's how I started listening to j-pop. By listening to j-pop I started immersing myself in the language even though I did not understand anything because it was not my intention to learn about it. That's my story. Now I can listen to any song and read the lyrics and I can follow it even if they are singing very quickly like they do sometimes. I also like how Japanese were supportive of South Asian nationalism because it meant no European colonialism in Asia but then again at the same time I'm really glad they did not occupy us either because they were fucked up during the wartime. I read about Unit 731 and holy shit, can't believe these are the same people who make anime. :feelskek:

• +1
Reactions: Wallenberg
Almost 3 years now, I don't know my current level as I spent most of my time focusing on kanji rather than on the rest of the language but I can understand like 75% of what I read without needing a dictionary (I still need to learn and internalize quite a lot of grammar) u also posted on the 日本語 thread I made in the other languages section.
Yeah I also posted in the Nihongo thread (I can read those kanji myself as well, not too many of course since I'm just a noob). My focus is going to be grammatic structure so I can form sentences so I can speak. After that I will focus on kanji. How many kanjis do you know, give or take? And how many do you learn a day? Not just amount of kanji but also the amount of time you do it?

• +1
Reactions: Splinter901
My love for horror movies is what started all of this. After being told Japanese horror movies were excellent I decided to give it a watch and I was not disappointed. At the end of every movie there's a j-pop song playing in the credits and that's how I started listening to j-pop. By listening to j-pop I started immersing myself in the language even though I did not understand anything because it was not my intention to learn about it. That's my story. Now I can listen to any song and read the lyrics and I can follow it even if they are singing very quickly like they do sometimes. I also like how Japanese were supportive of South Asian nationalism because it meant no European colonialism in Asia but then again at the same time I'm really glad they did not occupy us either because they were fucked up during the wartime. I read about Unit 731 and holy shit, can't believe these are the same people who make anime. :feelskek:
I like this song

• +1
I like this song

That's a South Korean person singing, right? Because the name is in Hangul and the title is in Japanese. I can read "Koi suru" and a couple of those Kanataka.

Yeah I also posted in the Nihongo thread (I can read those kanji myself as well, not too many of course since I'm just a noob). My focus is going to be grammatic structure so I can form sentences so I can speak. After that I will focus on kanji. How many kanjis do you know, give or take? And how many do you learn a day? Not just amount of kanji but also the amount of time you do it?

Dunno how many I learn a day nor how much time I put into the language, I just study whenever I feel like doing so. I've learned roughly 3500 so most of the time I come across kanji I already know.

• +1
That's a South Korean person singing, right? Because the name is in Hangul and the title is in Japanese. I can read "Koi suru" and a couple of those Kanataka.
The song is koisuru fortune cookie and it's AKB48. The video has Korean written on it but it's a Japanese group.

• +1
Dunno how many I learn a day nor how much time I put into the language, I just study whenever I feel like doing so. I've learned roughly 3500 so most of the time I come across kanji I already know.
Jeez. 3500. Let's just say it's 1166 kanji per year. 97 per month. That's 3 per day according to my guesstimations.

• +1
The song is koisuru fortune cookie and it's AKB48. The video has Korean written on it but it's a Japanese group.
I just heard them sing "Fortune cookie" HAHA. Yeah I know AKB48. I'm generally not a fan of girl groups, to be honest. I like solo artists generally speaking. AKB48 sounds a bit too "teen poppy" to me. I thought the song was decent however! I also like bands such as ONE OK ROCK.

• +1
Jeez. 3500. Let's just say it's 1166 kanji per year. 97 per month. That's 3 per day according to my guesstimations.
You can learn like 10 a day with Anki

• +1
Chinese cover of the same song. AKB48 has a lot of cover groups in other Asian countries

• +1
I just heard them sing "Fortune cookie" HAHA. Yeah I know AKB48. I'm generally not a fan of girl groups, to be honest. I like solo artists generally speaking. AKB48 sounds a bit too "teen poppy" to me. I thought the song was decent however! I also like bands such as ONE OK ROCK.
You don't like this song then?

• +1

Some times I've spent many days without learning any whereas other times I'd be learning 80 in a day (which is not that hard to do after you have learned radicals and their meanings)

• +1
You can learn like 10 a day with Anki
What's Anki? For me my focus is not on kanji but I want to be able to understand sentences and words and their meanings. So I am going to learn about how the grammar works first. Thanks for the tip however.

You don't like this song then?

I like this one a lot more, in fact I will add it to my playlist. Right up my alley. My brother likes j-pop and k-pop as well. I will PM you a few songs I like.

• +1
Some times I've spent many days without learning any whereas other times I'd be learning 80 in a day (which is not that hard to do after you have learned radicals and their meanings)
I don't even know what radicals are, can you explain?

What's Anki? For me my focus is not on kanji but I want to be able to understand sentences and words and their meanings. So I am going to learn about how the grammar works first. Thanks for the tip however.

Anki means memorization, it's an app for studying, you can download decks known as core 2k, 6k or 10k.

• +1
Reactions: Michael Myers and Wallenberg
I like this one a lot more, in fact I will add it to my playlist. Right up my alley. My brother likes j-pop and k-pop as well. I will PM you a few songs I like.
I like that song too, but I thought it would be too "teen poppy" for you.

• +1
Anki means memorization, it's an app for studying, you can download decks known as core 2k, 6k or 10k.
Yeah, Anki is good. It's a flashcard app with a lot of premade decks and you can make your own deck. You can use it to memorize things, not just languages but anything you need to memorize.

Core decks are good because are premade decks that have the most common words.

• +1
Programm for memorizing shit, recommended for learning vocabulary.

Uses spaced repetition, basically a method how to learn vocab for ever.

• +1
I don't even know what radicals are, can you explain?

Radicals are the parts that make up the character, e.g these characters all have the same radical on the left 砂研砕 (石) sometimes radicals can be characters on their own as in the previous example (石).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 25938 and Michael Myers
Sounds like you gotta pay for that and I'm a broke boi.

• JFL
I like that song too, but I thought it would be too "teen poppy" for you.
I guess the tonality is a factor, the first group is a lot more nasally which I don't like.

Programm for memorizing shit, recommended for learning vocabulary.

Uses spaced repetition, basically a method how to learn vocab for ever.
Oh right, that's a good method yeah. I do learn new words by listening to the same songs and then I recognize those words in other songs as well.

Radicals are the parts that make up the character, e.g these characters all have the same radical on the left 砂研砕 (石) sometimes radicals can be characters on their own as in the previous example (石).
Oh! Yeah I have noticed those. I always thought they'd be pronounced the same way as their standalone counterparts but I notice this isn't always the case.

• +1
Oh right, that's a good method yeah. I do learn new words by listening to the same songs and then I recognize those words in other songs as well.
That works but kinda ineffectiv.

You could however do both at the same time, use a Anki-Deck to learn core vocabulary and add the vocabulary you find in songs to the deck

• +1
That works but kinda ineffectiv.

You could however do both at the same time, use a Anki-Deck to learn core vocabulary and add the vocabulary you find in songs to the deck
Oh I am definitely gonna check it out but in my opinion my method works for me as well, I now know a dozen of kanjis because of this for instance. :p

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693
Oh! Yeah I have noticed those. I always thought they'd be pronounced the same way as their standalone counterparts but I notice this isn't always the case.

As a general rule the left radical works as a category and the right radical as the pronunciation but this is very often not the case (and only applies to characters that have a radical on those places).

• +1
As a general rule the left radical works as a category and the right radical as the pronunciation but this is very often not the case (and only applies to characters that have a radical on those places).
That seems to be the case for omo! As a standalone kanji it's pronounced that way and even when there's two radicals. This one 想 is pronounced as omo, just like the standalone 思. But of course I am not learning you anything new, I am just saying what I learned (by listening to music) while reading the lyrics.

EDIT: just realized those are two different kanjis being used, FML it's not even the same. NVM forget I said all this. XD

That seems to be the case for omo! As a standalone kanji it's pronounced that way and even when there's two radicals. This one 想 is pronounced as omo, just like the standalone 思. But of course I am not learning you anything new, I am just saying what I learned (by listening to music) while reading the lyrics.

EDIT: just realized those are two different kanjis being used, FML it's not even the same. NVM forget I said all this. XD

Here is an example 胴桐粡銅洞恫, all of those are pronounced as tou/dou (only for their on-yomi though (chinese imported pronunciation used mostly in compound words (words comprised of multiple kanji)))

Here is an example for category radicals 鋼鉄, first means steel, second one means iron, therefore 釒is in this case the metal / material category

and here is an example that combines both 銅 (pronounced dou, word for copper)

• +1
Here is an example 胴桐粡銅洞恫, all of those are pronounced as tou/dou (only for their on-yomi though (chinese imported pronunciation used mostly in compound words (words comprised of multiple kanji)))

Here is an example for category radicals 鋼鉄, first means steel, second one means iron, therefore 釒is in this case the metal / material category

and here is an example that combines both 銅 (pronounced dou, word for copper)
Oh this is very informative. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Somehow I missed it from my notifications, JFL. I keep thinking of onaji when I see the radicals on the right in the first example.

• +1
Oh this is very informative. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Somehow I missed it from my notifications, JFL. I keep thinking of onaji when I see the radicals on the right in the first example.

yeah that's what it means but onaji is written alongside a kana 同じ

• +1
yeah that's what it means but onaji is written alongside a kana 同じ
Yes I heard that a lot in songs so that's why I recognize it. Apparently it means "same". :D

• +1
I like Japanese the most. It looks cute. No hate, @Ellipsis.
No hate taken. Japanese is indeed a language with multiple facets of beauty.

ㅏ무ㅜ ㅡ무 ㅡㅑ초 ㅍㄷㄱㄴㅅ도두_ ㅑ 애ㅜ|ㅅ ㅏㅜㅐㅈ ㅙㅜㄷㄴ싴, ㅠㅕㅅ ㅑ 애ㅜ|ㅅ ㅠ디ㅑㄷㅍㄷ 솜ㅅ 캐ㅕ ㅊ무. 째ㅕㅣㅇ ㅠㄷ 려ㅜㅜㅋ ㅑㄹ 내ㅡ대ㅜㄷ ㅕㅜㅇㄷㄱㄴ새ㅐㅇ ㅑㅅ 쇄ㅕ호
What... the... fuck... is this?

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 14693
진자? ㅋㅋㅋ :feelskek:

아르바이트, 아르바이트, 아르바이트, 독일인!
i don't speak korean dude and google translate throws out gibberish

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 25938

Users who are viewing this thread

Back