Computer Science Redpill (400k/yr out of college)

Z

zuckerborg

Iron
If you are smart you can expect to make 15k+/mo over the summer, and when you graduate you can get an offer for ~400k/yr (with high bonus can be higher), with progression to 1M+ TC within ~5 years (tbh attainable first year if you work hard + get lucky). FAANG new grad offers are lower but still like ~275k.

• JFL
  • +1
  • Woah
Reactions: hennypapi, Ataru, Chadeep and 7 others
Offer for $400k/year? Are you at MIT or something?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 6128, Zealot, Deleted member 12234 and 2 others
:love::love: And I thought it was over for cscels from Joshua flukes videos

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3828
Offer for $400k/year? Are you at MIT or something?
College helps with getting the interview but not with the offer, which depends on interview performance. You can interviewmaxx by grinding competitive programming/competitive math.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3828
Idk what he's been saying recently because I haven't watched him in a while but my impression was that he was hard core coping.

bullshit

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member, Deleted member 17829, Deleted member 6128 and 19 others
imagine the lifestyle of someone that earns 400k a year.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member, Deleted member 6128, Deleted member 3828 and 4 others
I'm so tired of the Just be 130 IQ, high social status benefiting from nepotism cope

This is like Elon Musk saying "Guys, just quit your dayjob and do what I do"

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 3828, Warlow, ShowerMaxxing and 7 others
400k/year out of college ok nigga:lul:

Last edited:
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member, Deleted member 17829, Deleted member 3828 and 14 others
400K a yeat fresh out of college wtf are u in Harvard or something

This is so cope tbh

• +1
Reactions: ShowerMaxxing, Deleted member 13994 and ( ( ( d[-_-]b ) ) )
only in the US tbh

in europe internships are usually paid very poorly or not at all

• +1
Reactions: Chadethnic101, Deprived, sly shinkai and 5 others
@john2 what do u think?

If you are smart you can expect to make 15k+/mo over the summer, and when you graduate you can get an offer for ~400k/yr (with high bonus can be higher), with progression to 1M+ TC within ~5 years (tbh attainable first year if you work hard + get lucky). FAANG new grad offers are lower but still like ~275k.

$400k straight out of college with a comp sci degree wtf who’s employing you? Elon Musk?

Best starting salary out of college I’ve heard of is like $170,000-190,000 as a quant or data scientist with a masters and expertise in ML, AI, data visualisation with coding expertise on top of that…

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 6128, Deleted member 9568, Deleted member 6963 and 11 others
meanwhile I can’t even get a job stacking shelves at supermarket :lul::lul:

• +1
  • JFL
  • So Sad
Reactions: IhateDentists, Anchor_Ship, ShowerMaxxing and 1 other person
He’s the biggest coper ever. Someone should do a complete psycho analysis on him and why he has such negative subzero iq takes.

Feel bad that his family are drug addicts though if that’s true.

But all his remote work propaganda is pathetic and he’s just trying to impose his own dangerous copes onto others through his channel

• +1
Reactions: AlwaysHaveQuestions
what the hell are you saying, no one makes 400k straight out of college lmao. Even if you go to MIT and get a FAANG internship, you won’t come near that. You might make that 20 years into your career

• +1
Reactions: MakinMogReturns, IhateDentists, ShowerMaxxing and 2 others
Are you retarded?

He’s the biggest coper ever. Someone should do a complete psycho analysis on him and why he has such negative subzero iq takes.

Feel bad that his family are drug addicts though if that’s true.

But all his remote work propaganda is pathetic and he’s just trying to impose his own dangerous copes onto others through his channel
hes just pretending to be the "real talk" guy with over 10 minute videos
watched him years ago when he was small. cant believe hes still babbling about the same shit now

• +1
Reactions: Seth Walsh
hes just pretending to be the "real talk" guy with over 10 minute videos
watched him years ago when he was small. cant believe hes still babbling about the same shit now
He’s trying to rationalise not having a career and aiming to convince everyone to not start their own careers. He isn’t too convincing tbh because I’m sure people don’t want to end up like him, whining on YouTube about how he wasted his 20s and hates corporate jobs just because of his own struggles with never finding a career path that would’ve helped him grow.

Again I feel bad for the dude if all the terrible things/circumstances are real.

I watch people like him for insight on what not to do.

• +1
Reactions: IhateDentists and AlwaysHaveQuestions
cope, gender studies at kansas polytechnic mogs

• JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: Fear, Anchor_Ship, AlwaysHaveQuestions and 7 others
Be prepared to get outsourced by pajeet from the slums of Mumbai

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: MakinMogReturns, IhateDentists, Deleted member 17829 and 9 others
fact, pajeet will do your job for a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the time. companies dont give a shit about quality, they just want to cut corners

computer science is saturated as fuck now. companies keep pushing this narrative of coding being the next big thing and coders being in high demand. now everybody and their mom can code and think theyre gonna make 6 figures straight of college, rofl

if i could go back in time id switch my computer science major out for a medical or law degree instead honestly

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 17829, Chadethnic101, Anchor_Ship and 2 others
idk what to tell you, just browse teamblind.com or levels.fyi and you can see that these are standard offers. Glassdoor is wrong because they only look at base, but most CS jobs pay huge stock + bonus.
I'm so tired of the Just be 130 IQ, high social status benefiting from nepotism cope

This is like Elon Musk saying "Guys, just quit your dayjob and do what I do"
The most significant thing is how much work you put in. Sure if you're retarded you won't get offers, but if you are avg intelligence you can grind side projects & competitive programming to build your resume & interview skills. You can get referrals on sites like rooftopslushie.com, teamblind.com, repher.me.
400K a yeat fresh out of college wtf are u in Harvard or something
400k a year is a bit clickbait because its the upper tier of new grad offers from HFT firms, but its definitely attainable and I know lots of people from state schools who get them. I would say 250k is a lower bound for offers from high (not HFT) tier companies.
only in the US tbh

in europe internships are usually paid very poorly or not at all
true its over if you're not from the US
$400k straight out of college with a comp sci degree wtf who’s employing you? Elon Musk?

Best starting salary out of college I’ve heard of is like $170,000-190,000 as a quant or data scientist with a masters and expertise in ML, AI, data visualisation with coding expertise on top of that…
I think you're looking at base salaries. With stock + bonus FAANG generally clears 250k and HFT clears 350k.
what the hell are you saying, no one makes 400k straight out of college lmao. Even if you go to MIT and get a FAANG internship, you won’t come near that. You might make that 20 years into your career
strong cope. 2M TC in 9 years: . Obviously this is not attainable for everyone, but you can see starting salary is 230k (which is surprisingly low) and E6 which might take on average ~6 years to get pays 500k. Also keep in mind these figures are from like 10 years ago so they should be decently higher now. Keep in mind this is just one guy's progression through FB, in general it is possible to make 400k out of college, but even most people who grind the process can make that in 2-3 years at FAANG + other good companies.
There is a massive shortage of CS jobs, nobody is getting outsourced.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13197, Deleted member 12611 and Jason Voorhees
fact, pajeet will do your job for a fraction of the cost and a fraction of the time. companies dont give a shit about quality, they just want to cut corners

computer science is saturated as fuck now. companies keep pushing this narrative of coding being the next big thing and coders being in high demand. now everybody and their mom can code and think theyre gonna make 6 figures straight of college, rofl

if i could go back in time id switch my computer science major out for a medical or law degree instead honestly
For good software companies, quality is very important. Idk where you got the idea that it's saturated, there is still a massive job shortage in CS. If you don't try, you're not going to make 6 figures out of college, but if you grind the process it's very doable. I have 2 friends who didn't even go to college and they got HFT jobs, they're making 350k+ (they're like 19).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 12611

Also kind of ironic but tesla is actually not a high tier company unless you are working on autonomous driving.

there have been some people to get 400k but this includes bonus and signing bonus (which you get once just for getting the job). this is usually people who get hired as a quant trader, but with a salary this high you need to ace the ridiculously hard tests of a lot of quant firms and use competing offers to negotiate even higher. maths degree might be better in this respect because you can get most cs jobs with a maths degree too.

Fuck this is such lifefuel for me. OP mind answering a question?

there have been some people to get 400k but this includes bonus and signing bonus (which you get once just for getting the job). this is usually people who get hired as a quant trader, but with a salary this high you need to ace the ridiculously hard tests of a lot of quant firms and use competing offers to negotiate even higher. maths degree might be better in this respect because you can get most cs jobs with a maths degree too.
Yeah but next year you usually get a raise so you're earning more than 400k anyway. SWEs at quant firms make that kind of salary too (usually smaller bonus in later years because not as much impact potential). The tests are not that hard if you prepare for them. The thing is with this kind of opportunity it makes sense to just grind these interview questions for like 2 hours a day. Maths degree also works, but then you're limited to quant positions only, whereas SWE/CS major can do both quant and SWE.
Fuck this is such lifefuel for me. OP mind answering a question?
yeah shoot

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13367
Extreme Work ethic is also a natural talent not everyone has

• +1
Reactions: Warlow, Deleted member 12611, Seth Walsh and 1 other person
lifefuel for my sister
ropefuel for me
income/career mogged by sister

Yes bro, you can have average iq but master STEM degree and get 250k right after finishing college, just work hard :soy:

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: ShowerMaxxing, Deleted member 12611 and TITUS
Yeah but next year you usually get a raise so you're earning more than 400k anyway. SWEs at quant firms make that kind of salary too (usually smaller bonus in later years because not as much impact potential). The tests are not that hard if you prepare for them. The thing is with this kind of opportunity it makes sense to just grind these interview questions for like 2 hours a day. Maths degree also works, but then you're limited to quant positions only, whereas SWE/CS major can do both quant and SWE.

yeah shoot
How realistic does my "career plan" (lol) sound to you?
Im currently finishing school in germany with pretty good grades and will be studying some branch of CS in München, which is the best german uni for stemcels.
I could potentially apply for undergrad in USA but it seems a bit clumbersome because I would have to take SAT and/or AP placement tests, furthermore their semesters start later and undergrad degree takes 4 years instead of 3 and I want to start studying as soon as possible because I already feel like I wasted too much time in high school.
Obviously german schools are not on the same level as the US ones but Im hoping that If Im not doing undergrad in USA, I'll atleast get my masters there, since stem is paid better in the US and american companies seem to be somewhat biased towards graduates from their own country.
Im obviously going to grind super hard during the 3 years in germany to maximize my potential at getting accepted into a good US school after finishing my BA. Im also really hoping to do a 2 semester intership at some US company during these 3 years (hopefully covid wont get in my way)
What do you think my chances are of getting accepted into a good US uni after doing undergrad in germany with (hopefully) a good GPA and an internship under my belt? Im not trying to get into MIT or smth but top30 unis would be nice.
Does this sound achievable to you?
What salary could I be looking at if my plan comes through?

I desperately want to study and work in the US because if just feels like there are so many more opportunities there (and the salaries seem to be higher too).

Also I have asked similar shit on reddit and good plenty of good answers but this is the one I found interesting. Does it seem realistic to you or is he sugarcoating it a bit?
Reddit

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you in advance.

Extreme Work ethic is also a natural talent not everyone has
I made this thread to raise awareness because I feel even people in CS don't know the earning potential so they don't resume/interview maxx. Make of it what you will.

• +1
Reactions: sensen
I made this thread to raise awareness because I feel even people in CS don't know the earning potential so they don't resume/interview maxx. Make of it what you will.
What's your opinion on finance careers like sales, commercial banking, corporate banking, corporate finance

You think an EE degree can work as a pseudo comp science degree if needed.

How realistic does my "career plan" (lol) sound to you?
Im currently finishing school in germany with pretty good grades and will be studying some branch of CS in München, which is the best german uni for stemcels.
I could potentially apply for undergrad in USA but it seems a bit clumbersome because I would have to take SAT and/or AP placement tests, furthermore their semesters start later and undergrad degree takes 4 years instead of 3 and I want to start studying as soon as possible because I already feel like I wasted too much time in high school.
Obviously german schools are not on the same level as the US ones but Im hoping that If Im not doing undergrad in USA, I'll atleast get my masters there, since stem is paid better in the US and american companies seem to be somewhat biased towards graduates from their own country.
Im obviously going to grind super hard during the 3 years in germany to maximize my potential at getting accepted into a good US school after finishing my BA. Im also really hoping to do a 2 semester intership at some US company during these 3 years (hopefully covid wont get in my way)
What do you think my chances are of getting accepted into a good US uni after doing undergrad in germany with (hopefully) a good GPA and an internship under my belt? Im not trying to get into MIT or smth but top30 unis would be nice.
Does this sound achievable to you?
What salary could I be looking at if my plan comes through?

I desperately want to study and work in the US because if just feels like there are so many more opportunities there (and the salaries seem to be higher too).

Also I have asked similar shit on reddit and good plenty of good answers but this is the one I found interesting. Does it seem realistic to you or is he sugarcoating it a bit?
View attachment 1174531

Sorry for the wall of text and thank you in advance.
I don't know how attainable this is for you, but I will say that a good school name on your resume opens a lot of doors. If you want to intern/work at a US company, US school >>> german school. I personally am a fan of college so I see 4 years as a benefit and not a detriment (more time to grind/find yourself). I can't answer any questions about grad school, but I don't think its necessary unless you are doing something like ML.

I can't speak for the salaries in Europe, but I'm surprised the avg CS CMU grad is making < 200k. If you go to CMU and resume + interview maxx you should easily clear 250k out of college.

• Woah
Reactions: Deleted member 13367
I don't know how attainable this is for you, but I will say that a good school name on your resume opens a lot of doors. If you want to intern/work at a US company, US school >>> german school. I personally am a fan of college so I see 4 years as a benefit and not a detriment (more time to grind/find yourself). I can't answer any questions about grad school, but I don't think its necessary unless you are doing something like ML.

I can't speak for the salaries in Europe, but I'm surprised the avg CS CMU grad is making < 200k. If you go to CMU and resume + interview maxx you should easily clear 250k out of college.
Thanks for the informative reply man.
Are you still studying yourself or are you already done?

What's your opinion on finance careers like sales, commercial banking, corporate banking, corporate finance
I don't have experience in them but in general CS mogs everything. Corporate banking/finance has legitimately horrific hours (like 100hr+/week at goldman e.g.) whereas if you want at a decent CS company you can work 30/hrs week (though you will be promoted faster if you put in more hours, but you should never be working >50/week). At my internship last year I would work 1-2 hours a day, and I had friends who legitimately worked 1-2 hours per week lmao (still clocking in 8hrs a day for $40+/hr).

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13197
You think an EE degree can work as a pseudo comp science degree if needed.
On the resume sure, but engineering degrees are generally like 5 years and completely rigid schedule with a bunch of extraneous classes like circuit design, physics, etc... Having more free time to do clubs/resume + interview maxx is a strong reason not to do eng imo.
Thanks for the informative reply man.
Are you still studying yourself or are you already done?
I'm studying rn but I know a lot of people who have graduated.

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 6273
On the resume sure, but engineering degrees are generally like 5 years and completely rigid schedule with a bunch of extraneous classes like circuit design, physics, etc... Having more free time to do clubs/resume + interview maxx is a strong reason not to do eng imo.

I'm studying rn but I know a lot of people who have graduated.
Is cs a grind for you or do you find it manageable? Also are you really sure that stem isnt oversaturated rn? The guy in this vid says that he rejected like 20 applicants for web developing position.

yeah shoot
quant trading mogs swe at quant firms. but sometimes there are quant traders and quant researchers where quant traders are just people who oversee the trading programs and get paymogged by the quant researchers who create the algorithms etc. if you look at linkedin for quant traders or quant researchers they tend to do math degrees and swe people tend to do cs, but both fields look for other technically related fields. ideally you'd be doing math and cs

I'm a comp sci major, lifefuel

• +1
Reactions: ShowerMaxxing and zuckerborg
Also I forgot to mention but I would wager that salaries in those fields are < 50% of CS salaries (for same years of experience). You can see discussions about non CS roles in FAANG companies on blind and it is always a massive salary reduction. Another benefit of CS imo is that it is a lot easier to grind resume and interview skills, but in those fields you have to suck off your manager to get promoted (not sure tho).
Is cs a grind for you or do you find it manageable? Also are you really sure that stem isnt oversaturated rn? The guy in this vid says that he rejected like 20 applicants for web developing position.

I enjoy CS so it's not much of a grind for me (I still have to put in the time though). You should read this post in response to the video: https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2006/09/06/finding-great-developers-2/

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 13197
quant trading mogs swe at quant firms. but sometimes there are quant traders and quant researchers where quant traders are just people who oversee the trading programs and get paymogged by the quant researchers who create the algorithms etc. if you look at linkedin for quant traders or quant researchers they tend to do math degrees and swe people tend to do cs, but both fields look for other technically related fields. ideally you'd be doing math and cs
For the places I know (jane street, hrt, jump, citadel, etc..), starting SWE and quant pay is very similar. Like I said quant probably has higher bonus potential later on, but probably only for the very elite.

400k/year right out of school is extremely unrealistic
it's more like:
graduate with no work experience/low programming skills: 45-65k/year
graduate with some work experience/decent programming skills: 65-80k/year
graduate with work experience/good programming skills: 80-100k/year
graduate with good work experience (i.e. intern at big companies, learn a lot) and very good programming skills: 90-120k/year

at least these are the figures for canada/toronto specifically

400k as your total comp package is more like someone who has just reached senior level in terms of experience and is working at a really well paying company (i.e. he's cream of the crop)

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 9072, 5'8manlet, ShowerMaxxing and 4 others

sounds misleading

I assume you would be competing with ultra high IQ Asians for that job. Not to mention such a job with such a salary would have to be in Silicon Valley. With all the taxes and high cost of living. That 400k might not look all that great.

The robot AI is on the horizon or so people say. If it ever does come to fruition what happens to those 400k jobs

cope, gender studies at kansas polytechnic mogs
gigacope college is indoctrination and a waste of money. my trade degree in welding is based and masculine. im only 23 and i take morphine everyday to alleviate my back pain but that has nothing to do with it

• JFL
  • Love it
Reactions: ShowerMaxxing, Patient A, TheEndHasNoEnd and 3 others