Do braces cause recession and downgrowth

glumfruitcake

glumfruitcake

Iron
I came by a thread that talked about how braces cause maxilla recession. I was wondering if this was true because i used to have braces and now wear a retainer. my maxilla is a little recessed and down grown ( i think) could this be caused by braces and my retainer? should i talk to my dentist or orthodontist about a MSE and should i ditch the retainer? also what other appliances/ methods can i look into for maxilla forward growth

I came by a thread that talked about how braces cause maxilla recession
Yes
recession. I was wondering if this was true
True
because i used to have braces and now wear a retainer
Over
should i talk to my dentist or orthodontist about a MSE and should i ditch the retainer?
Maybe, depends how narrow. MSE isn’t necessarily a looksmax
also what other appliances/ methods can i look into for maxilla forward growth
Facemask with MSE/FME and lefort. That’s it.

• +1
  • So Sad
Reactions: Whatashame, 5'7 zoomer and glumfruitcake
it really depends. If you are trying to correct your bite, for instance you have a slight overbite. The retarded dentists will pull back your maxilla to fix ur bite, instead of moving the jaw forward. But if you just have crooked teeth or a crossbite then braces will not do anything harmful to your face

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: xegigi and useris2292
it really depends. If you are trying to correct your bite, for instance you have a slight overbite. The retarded dentists will pull back your maxilla to fix ur bite, instead of moving the jaw forward. But if you just have crooked teeth or a crossbite then braces will not do anything harmful to your face
i have overbite and need braces wtf do i do

If you needed braces to fix your teeth you probably already had a bad maxilla and jaw to begin with.
Chewing will make your teeth grow correctly and it also affects the general development of your jaw.

If you're done with braces and are using retainer to keep your teeth in place don't stop using it for a while longer, if you do your teeth will get fucked again and braces will have been for nothing.
If you're using a retainer because you bite too much during your sleep you're fycked since it can lead to bruxism and your teeth actually breaking, however, chewing enough during the day generally solves this and you'd be able to ditch the retainer.

As for if the retainer can fuck your jaw even more, I don't have evidence but I'd say it does simply because it's not natural to sleep with that and they do occupy a good portion of space between your upper and lower teeth so it's as if you were mouth breathing more. I mean, the correct posture to rest your teeth is to have them grind together but without force.

Last edited:
Depends that type of braces and aplineces some might not recess like mine

If you needed braces to fix your teeth you probably already had a bad maxilla and jaw to begin with.
Chewing will make your teeth grow correctly and it also affects the general development of your jaw.

If you're done with braces and are using retainer to keep your teeth in place don't stop using it for a while longer, if you do your teeth will get fucked again and braces will have been for nothing.
If you're using a retainer because you bite too much during your sleep you're fycked since it can lead to bruxism and your teeth actually breaking, however, chewing enough during the day generally solves this and you'd be able to ditch the retainer.

As for if the retainer can fuck your jaw even more, I don't have evidence but I'd say it does simply because it's not natural to sleep with that and they do occupy a good portion of space between your upper and lower teeth so it's as if you were mouth breathing more. I mean, the correct posture to rest your teeth is to have them grind together but without force.
can i get braces to fix crooked teeth and overbite and get bimax later

Yes

True

Over

Maybe, depends how narrow. MSE isn’t necessarily a looksmax

Facemask with MSE/FME and lefort. That’s it.
what to do instead if u want to fix asymmetry like when ur jaw, maxilla and palate are grown more in the other side of ur face?

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1901
what to do instead if u want to fix asymmetry like when ur jaw, maxilla and palate are grown more in the other side of ur face?
Idk

It recesses your face

I have a friend who had braces and his midface caves in from the side profile like a half moon 🌙

• +1
Reactions: 5'7 zoomer
i have overbite and need braces wtf do i do
ahhaha. the dentist will 100% recess ur maxilla. Unless you do private and clearly communicate that you want them to not recess your maxilla. The only way would be surgery (sum form of jaw advancement) to match witht your overbite.

• +1
Reactions: humanoidsub7
ahhaha. the dentist will 100% recess ur maxilla. Unless you do private and clearly communicate that you want them to not recess your maxilla. The only way would be surgery (sum form of jaw advancement) to match witht your overbite.
im doing it privately paying for it however my teeth are crooked so i need to fix my shit smile... im an adult now so idk if my maxilla can be fucked with by elastics though - im planning on getting a bimax in 3 years when i have the money

its better to use braces but if ITS ONLY BRACES (WITHOUT EXTRACTIONS AND LEASTICS - THESE WILL FUCK YOU 100%). You should make sure the treatment dont overextend (The pressure it makes on already straight teeth is damaging), you also should make sure its not tilting the teeth inwards, and the most important of all and the biggest cause of face damage because of braces (after extractions): You CANT STOP CHEWING HARD FOODS. Its a moment where you need to chew a lot, because if you dont think about it you will end up chewing with the buccinators.

• +1
Reactions: king_bandon and RoyaleWithCheese
it does

I came by a thread that talked about how braces cause maxilla recession. I was wondering if this was true because i used to have braces and now wear a retainer. my maxilla is a little recessed and down grown ( i think) could this be caused by braces and my retainer? should i talk to my dentist or orthodontist about a MSE and should i ditch the retainer? also what other appliances/ methods can i look into for maxilla forward growth

it does
View attachment 2434161
That's talking about braces WITH extractions though, not just braces?

Cope. If what you said is true it’s over. I thought that it went like this:

You have overbite -> lower jaw pulled forwards

You have underbite -> lower jaw pulled backwards

😭😭😭😭😭

Cope. If what you said is true it’s over. I thought that it went like this:

You have overbite -> lower jaw pulled forwards

You have underbite -> lower jaw pulled backwards

😭😭😭😭😭
nope. dentists would rather recess things than pull it forward

Dentist will

Overbite = Maxilla goes backwards to match with jaw

Underbite = Jaw goes backwards to match maxilla

nope. dentists would rather recess things than pull it forward

Dentist will

Overbite = Maxilla goes backwards to match with jaw

Underbite = Jaw goes backwards to match maxilla
Fuck this shit

• +1
Reactions: lightskinmaxxing
Check your dental midline
IMG 7965

IMG 7966

With this you can figure about what exactly is assymetrical. You can actually use elastics to fix dental midline, but if you are considerably older it may take a while or not be viable.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 31155
Check your dental midline
View attachment 2449256
View attachment 2449257
With this you can figure about what exactly is assymetrical. You can actually use elastics to fix dental midline, but if you are considerably older it may take a while or not be viable.
View attachment 2449258
theres some kind of assymetry where my face looks compact in the right side but long, and narrow in the left side whenever i tilt my head in each side. what is causing this and how is it fixed? is it related to what u said?

theres some kind of assymetry where my face looks compact in the right side but long, and narrow in the left side whenever i tilt my head in each side. what is causing this and how is it fixed? is it related to what u said?
seems like one side of your faces maxilla is more developed, I have the same issue as I was missing a tooth on my left side which is now recessed in comparison