Does anyone else have a very weak OHP?

lifestyle21873

lifestyle21873

do not disturb
Compared to my bench press my OHP is weak as fuck. Does this happen to anyone else? I cant progress on overheadpress either despite gaining weight and getting stronger on other exercises

• +1
Reactions: Dylan2, thecel, Julius and 1 other person
I don't, but thanks for asking

Haven't lift weights ever since corona but I have lifted 60kg for 6 reps in my prime

• +1
Reactions: Melo95
  • +1
Reactions: Aspiring Gigachad and Baldingman1998
Stay weak twink
0203f8bd559e182b9bf3a347c4ebd11bc9b72d681e5fbab69f23f34b6dbb831e

Why would I lie to random strangers on internet?
lol that is the most low IQ question ive ever heard, every dude lies on the internet to feel more superior

• +1
Reactions: benchortable, Aspiring Gigachad, ThreadMatters and 1 other person
I bet you dont even know what a barbell is either like 99% of this forum
cope

but to be serious idk, I have also strong bench, so I always thought, that if you have good benchpress, you are super likely to have good ohp also (both pushing forces), but a lot of people I know have crazy slow progress, it needs constistency and patience

what are your 1 rep PRs on bench and ohp? mine are 135 kg bp and 90 kg ohp

• +1
Reactions: lifestyle21873
Minimum gymcel strength should be

1xbw ohp
1.25xbw bench
2xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 5891, Deleted member 1862 and lifestyle21873
cope

but to be serious idk, I have also strong bench, so I always thought, that if you have good benchpress, you are super likely to have good ohp also (both pushing forces), but a lot of people I know have crazy slow progress, it needs constistency and patience

what are your 1 rep PRs on bench and ohp? mine are 135 kg bp and 90 kg ohp
lol i bench press 85kg and 50kg ohp

1xbw ohp
1.25xbw bench
2xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift
That's athlete tier. Benching bodyweight is enough

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: benchortable, Deleted member 5891 and lifestyle21873
What’s a good ratio? My incline bench has an estimated 1RM of 163 and OHP is 121

• +1
  • +1
My bench was 80kg for 6reps

• +1

1xbw ohp
1.25xbw bench
2xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift
first 3 check, but DL is over, I'm really weak puller, I even can't do much pullups

1xbw ohp
1.25xbw bench
2xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift

1x bw ohp is relatively much harder than 1.25x bw bench.

• Woah
Reactions: EasternRightWinger15
My bench 1rm got close to 100. I was like 90 kgs. But my ohp is trash. I could barely do 40kg for reps

• So Sad
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1862 and lifestyle21873
I am weak on every lift.

• +1
My bench 1rm got close to 100. I was like 90 kgs. But my ohp is trash. I could barely do 40kg for reps
broo me too, i was stuck on 40kg plateau dor like 3 months but we are also short

• So Sad
Reactions: Deleted member 1680
broo me too, i was stuck on 40kg plateau dor like 3 months but we are also short
I mean by bringing ohp up, itll literally be imlossible to not gave bigger shoulders. So imma still keep at it.

• +1
I mean by bringing ohp up, itll literally be imlossible to not gave bigger shoulders. So imma still keep at it.
its the hardest lift to progress on atleast for me. u gotta be patient, u could try more volume and less weight

1x bw ohp is hard as fuck. i have only seen like 2 people ohp more than 80kg in my gym
I guess it's right, I ohp mog almost everybody in my gym, altough I'm natural lifter, it just seems that I have genetics for it

• +1
I guess it's right, I ohp mog almost everybody in my gym, altough I'm natural lifter, it just seems that I have genetics for it
asumming your not talking shit 90kg is very impressive. you would be the best ohp lifter in like every gym

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 1680 and lifestyle21873
I only see a few people overhead pressing at the gym. Most tend to stick with seated DB shoulder presses. It's a shame because strict OHP with a barbell is much more beneficial for getting bigger shoulders than seated presses with dumbbells.

• +1
Reactions: Melo95 and lifestyle21873
My standing overhead press is 65 (bw) and my bench is 85 so i think its the other way around for me

• Woah
  • +1
Reactions: Melo95 and lifestyle21873
Lifting for one year, I do 25 kgs OHP for 8-10 reps :lul:. I'm still DYEL-tier body but I have an above average starting frame.
you need to eat more

• +1
Reactions: Ocelot
My standing overhead press is 65 (bw) and my bench is 85 so i think its the other way around for me
ye its different for everyone tbh. it seems more normal to have stronger bench press tho

• +1
Reactions: Deleted
My OHP mogs my bench press

• +1
I only see a few people overhead pressing at the gym. Most tend to stick with seated DB shoulder presses. It's a shame because strict OHP with a barbell is much more beneficial for getting bigger shoulders than seated presses with dumbbells.
if i had to take a guess its because its much harder. very few people can use heavy weight on standing OHP so they just dont want do it

asumming your not talking shit 90kg is very impressive. you would be the best ohp lifter in like every gym
yeah, some steroided guys here can do more, but I don't reckon any natural lifter to lift this much, also I gymcel for nearly 5 years, so there's that

• +1
yeah, some steroided guys here can do more, but I don't reckon any natural lifter to lift this much, also I gymcel for nearly 5 years, so there's that
its for sure the hardest exercise but also the best one for shoulders

don't remind me of that shit excercise, 3 times I injured my shoulder doing that, it really isn't a great position for shoulders on the bench, that's why I switched to barbell

• +1
Reactions: lifestyle21873 and EverythingMattersCel
If anyone is struggling with improving their OHP I found fractional weights (0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1kg) to be useful for linear progression. Even adding 0.5kg every few weeks to the bar for your working sets can be a confidence booster. Beyond novice level, fractional weights are pretty useless for the other 3 compound lifts but I have found they don't lose efficacy for OHP.
don't remind me of that shit excercise, 3 times I injured my shoulder doing that, it really isn't a great position for shoulders on the bench, that's why I switched to barbell

Yeah, I also got a shoulder impingement from doing seated presses. I think people avoid doing strict presses with a barbell because they are scared of putting the bar over their head in a standing position.

• +1
If anyone is struggling with improving their OHP I found fractional weights (0.25kg, 0.5, 0.75 and 1kg) to be useful for linear progression. Even adding 0.5kg every few weeks to the bar for your working sets can be a confidence booster. Beyond novice level, fractional weights are pretty useless for the other 3 compound lifts but I have found they don't lose efficacy for OHP.

Yeah, I also got a shoulder impingement from doing seated presses. I think people avoid doing strict presses with a barbell because they are scared of putting the bar over their head in a standing position.
Smh my gym doesnt even have those fucking mini plates

If anyone is struggling with improving their OHP I found fractional weights (0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1kg) to be useful for linear progression. Even adding 0.5kg every few weeks to the bar for your working sets can be a confidence booster. Beyond novice level, fractional weights are pretty useless for the other 3 compound lifts but I have found they don't lose efficacy for OHP.

ngl, the ohp really looks more dangerous at first, that's also one of the reasons I started with seated DB presses, but oh boy, when you know something about anatomy and the mechanics of the excercises, you realize, that you couldn't be more wrong

• +1
Reactions: EverythingMattersCel and lifestyle21873