Eye: Male vs Female

MisterMercedes

MisterMercedes

Kraken
There a two main differences between the male and female periorbital area: size and protrusion.

Size

Male eyes often appear smaller due to the fact that males, on average, have higher cheekbones and nasal bridges than women.

High cheekbones and nasal bridges are also survival traits: high cheekbones means the eyes and brain (as the zygomatic arch is higher) are better protected, high nasal bridge means the eyes are better protected as well.

When the cheekbones are higher, the lateral canthus and lateral portion of the lower eyelid is higher relative to the upper eyelid, making the lateral portion of the eye look smaller as there is less scelera visible. When the nasal bridge is higher, the medial can thus and medial portion of the eyelid is higher relative to the upper eyelid, making the medial portion of the eye look smaller. When both lateral and medial can thi are higher, the entire lower lid is higher.

Brad Pitt has high cheekbones and nasal bridge, and, as a result, his canthand lower lid are higher relative to the upper eyelid, making his eyes look smaller.

Compare that to Angelina Jolie, who has low cheekbones and nasal bridge:

And just to avoid the accusation of cherry-picking pictures:

Protrusion

Male eyes often appear less protrusive or exposed than female eyes, but this difference is an illusion created by surrounding bones.

#1: Glabella/brow ridges

This difference is the most well known. The frontal sinus (cavity behind the glabella) enlarge as a result of testosterone, which makes the glabella more prominent relative to the eyes. This makes the eyes appear deeper set:

vs

#2: Nasal bridge

I rarely see this talked about here, but has a big impact on how deep set the eyes appear. Males tend to have more prominent or protrusive nasal bridges than women, which makes the eyes better protected.

vs

#3: Supraorbital rim

This is perhaps the most favorite but least understood aspect on this forum. The male supraorbital rim tends to be more prominent and extends farther past the eyeball than the female’s. This again makes the eyes better protected and appear deeper set. However, it also plays a big role in how “hooded” the eye is, or how much the upper eyelid is covered by fat. The more prominent the supraorbital rim is, the more forward positioned the fat pad will be relative to the upper eyelid, covering it more with fat.

Compare DiCaprio’s side profile to Winslet’s. Their fat pads are about the same size, but DiCaprio’s Supra orbital rim is much more prominent, and his eyelid is thus more concealed by the upper eye fat pad.

Quick note: brow ridge has no impact on hooding. Upper eye fat pads are located under and slightly behind the Supra orbital rim.

The only factors impacting hooding are supraorbital rim projection and fat pad size/descent path.

Asians tend to have little supraorbital rim prominence, but their upper eye fat pad descends anterior to the upper eyelid regardless of rim projection, most likely as a response to cold environment.

Asian eye:

Prominent supraorbital rim:

There are many ways to spot this difference. Asian fat pad will go straight down as opposed to backward like Barrett’s. Asian eye will appear less deep set as the supraorbital rim is actually lacking prominence as opposed to Barrett’s, which is very prominent. And the eyebrows will be much more forward relative to the eye when the Supra orbital rim is prominent, unless they are so arched that they sit above the Supra orbital rim.

#4: Zygomatic

This one also isn’t talked about a whole lot. Not sure yet if this is a dimorphic trait, but it certainly is a survival trait. “Forward grown zygos” means that the zygomatic process of the temporal is long, thus making the zygomatic more forward positioned relative to the eyeball, which makes the eyeball better protected. Also a youthful trait as the zygomatic process of temporal recedes as we get older, making thepositioned farther back relative to the eyeball.

When this happens, the lateral can thus and lateral portion of the eyelid are more forward to the eye, making it appear deeper set. Also contributes to “positive orbital vector”.

CEDEA323 6655 4A4C 80A6 7E557AE5F23E

Vs

#5: Eyebrows/eyelashes

Males have thicker, more dense, lower brows than women, making the eyes better protected. Again, not sure about the dimorphism of eyelashes, but long, thick eyelashes also make the eyes better protected, and are a sign of youth/fertility.

Somewhat thick eyebrows can also be attractive on women as they are a sign of testosterone/high sex drive:
51B5A1EA 21C2 4D05 8C7F 03F67080BE9F

#6: Canthal tilt

Forgot to cover this. Females tend to have sharper infraorbital rims. This means the nasal bridge is lower relative to the zygomatic, creating higher degrees of PCT. Male eyes are closer to neutral tilt due to higher nasal bridges.

Male:
04D352D7 F47E 4117 A3DA A47E821E1545

Female:
5E5617D6 DF44 40CA BBBA F05331711C98

Vs

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Love it
  • Woah
Reactions: Neroem, |Daddy_Zygos|, 1966Ford and 41 others
high iq thread

• +1
Reactions: Acridax, LooksThinker, Deleted member 17829 and 1 other person
A new mistermercedes thread
tenor.gif

• JFL
  • +1
  • Love it
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, ominion, Toth's thot and 5 others
ok then tell us the surgeries how to fix this

we already fucking know this

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: NarrowBones, inwardgonionscel, LooksThinker and 6 others
ok then tell us the surgeries how to fix this

we already fucking know this
Many people don’t understand this. Take a look at posts claiming PCT is masculine, high cheekbones are feminine, or brow ridge creates hooded eyes.

It would be dumb of me to give surgery advice. I do know that lots of this cannot be fixed through surgery.

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, pppokerface, BrahminBoss and 6 others
Many people don’t understand this. Take a look at posts claiming PCT is masculine, high cheekbones are feminine, or brow ridge creates hooded eyes.

It would be dumb of me to give surgery advice. I do know that lots of this cannot be fixed through surgery.
most people have slight pct

• +1
Reactions: kaizenn
most people have slight pct
Yes. I’d say it becomes feminine once it goes over five degrees. That’s also when the medial can thus begins to look downturned (feminine).

DiCaprio has about 3 degrees of PCT but it doesn’t look very noticeable. Evangeline Lily has about 7-8 degrees.

Yes. I’d say it becomes feminine once it goes over five degrees. That’s also when the medial can thus begins to look downturned (feminine).

DiCaprio has about 3 degrees of PCT but it doesn’t look very noticeable. Evangeline Lily has about 7-8 degrees.
Bruh, I have a downturned medial canthus, so does Gandy and Salih, who are masculine male models. Is downturned medial canthus an attractive feature on both men and women? I also wanted to know what is the ideal inter-pupillary distance for men and if someone has inter-canthal distance equal to one eye how can they be called for having low inter-pupillary distance?, isn’t one eye width between medial canthuses the ideal as per golden ratio?

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero
Conclusion: I'm ugly and it never began

• +1
  • So Sad
  • JFL
Reactions: Lynxress, based_pakichad421, Anchor_Ship and 2 others
informative thread.

Male : Deep set, Strong Browridge, Straight orbitals, Bushy eyebrows, High Nasal bridge, low set eyebrows, Bone hooding or Bone/Fat Hooding, NeutralCT

Female : Huge PositiveCT, Long eyelashes, Great PFL, High Set eyebrows, Fat hooding only, thin but dense black eyebrows

• +1
Reactions: gookcelriceR, Descargue96, Mewton and 3 others

PCT is feminine
But browridge can create bone hooding

PCT is feminine
But browridge can create bone hooding
You would need to define “bone hooding”.

Shimansky, for example, has a very large brow ridge and thus his eyebrows are low enough to make his upper eyelid not invisible in frontal view.

However, his eyelids are still exposed/not concealed by fat as he doesn’t have prominent Supra orbital rims like DiCaprio, Barrett, O’ Pry, etc. And it’s noticeable in other views.

9B494B54 6A7B 4532 A890 DF03139081B8

Compare that to O’ Pry:

Even then, it’s still fat that’s actually covering or “hooding” the eyelid. There’s no such thing as actual bone covering the eyelid. It’s just that, when the rim is more prominent, the fat pad under it is more forward relative to the eyeball and lid and thus conceals more of it.

To reiterate, brow ridge size and projection has no effect on whether or not the Eyelid is hooded or covered by fat.

• +1
  • Woah
Reactions: based_pakichad421, Mateusz74, It'snotover and 5 others

Shimansky, for example, has a very large brow ridge and thus his eyebrows are low enough to make his upper eyelid not invisible in frontal view.

However, his eyelids are still exposed/not concealed by fat as he doesn’t have prominent Supra orbital rims like DiCaprio, Barrett, O’ Pry, etc. And it’s noticeable in other views.

View attachment 1190605View attachment 1190621

Compare that to O’ Pry:

View attachment 1190612View attachment 1190627

Even then, it’s still fat that’s actually covering or “hooding” the eyelid. There’s no such thing as actual bone covering the eyelid. It’s just that, when the rim is more prominent, the fat pad under it is more forward relative to the eyeball and lid and thus conceals more of it.

To reiterate, brow ridge size and projection has no effect on whether or not the Eyelid is hooded or covered by fat.
What about Drago ?

• +1
Reactions: thecel and StrangerDanger

View attachment 1190605View attachment 1190621

Compare that to O’ Pry:

View attachment 1190612View attachment 1190627

Substantive response

Last edited:
  • JFL
  • +1
Reactions: Deleted member 4430 and Deleted member 10987
Bruh, I have a downturned medial canthus, so does Gandy and Salih, who are masculine male models. Is downturned medial canthus an attractive feature on both men and women? I also wanted to know what is the ideal inter-pupillary distance for men and if someone has inter-canthal distance equal to one eye how can they be called for having low inter-pupillary distance?, isn’t one eye width between medial canthuses the ideal as per golden ratio?
Just because Gandy and Salih have it doesn’t mean it’s a masculine trait.

No it’s conventionally an attractive female trait, not male.

Ideal IPD is about the average you’ll find for a male; Brad Pitt and DiCaprio both have ideal IPD.

Yes, length of the eye should be equal to intercanthal distance. Examples:

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 13928 and StrangerDanger
His hooding is mainly bone
Dude there’s no such thing as bone covering the eyelid. It’s again just prominent rims + sufficiently large fat pads to cover the eyelid.

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, AscendingHero, StrangerDanger and 1 other person
Dude there’s no such thing as bone covering the eyelid. It’s again just prominent rims + sufficiently large fat pads to cover the eyelid.
But its mainly bone with little fat then ?

• +1
Reactions: StrangerDanger
But its mainly bone with little fat then ?
In cases of guys like O’ Pry, DiCaprio, Barrett, Gandy, etc. it’s very prominent supraorbital rims with sufficiently large fat pads to cover the eyelid. You need both prominent rims (bone) and large enough fat pads to have the hooded eye like those guys.

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, Deleted member 10987 and StrangerDanger
In cases of guys like O’ Pry, DiCaprio, Barrett, Gandy, etc. it’s very prominent supraorbital rims with sufficiently large fat pads to cover the eyelid. You need both prominent rims (bone) and large enough fat pads to have the hooded eye like those guys.
Are prominient supraorbital rims the reason why O'Prys hooding has so much bone support and don't look droppy

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero and Deleted member 10987
Are prominient supraorbital rims the reason why O'Prys hooding has so much bone support and don't look droppy
View attachment 1190865View attachment 1190866
Could you tell about my eye area pls
20210322 150533

• +1
  • +1
  • JFL
Reactions: BrahminBoss and AscendingHero
You need to show side profile and a picture where you’re not squinting.
Im not squinting
Dont have good side profil pics and others can confirm its nearderthal tier
20210224 174942

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, pppokerface and AscendingHero
You’re definitely squinting.

If that’s your natural Lid resting position you need the opposite of lid retraction.
My browridge growed + i use icehooding

Also what is natural lid resting position/lid retraction ?

Do the rims become more prominient during puberty
I’m not sure. I think they mostly grow during early childhood. Same with nasal bridge lengthening, condyle growth, etc.

• +1
Reactions: |Daddy_Zygos|, AscendingHero and StrangerDanger
My browridge growed + i use icehooding

Also what is natural lid resting position/lid retraction ?
It’s where your lower lid rests when you’re not squinting or have a neutral facial expression

Lid retraction is a procedure to raise your lower lid.

• +1
Reactions: AscendingHero, Deleted member 10987 and StrangerDanger
It’s where your lower lid rests when you’re not squinting or have a neutral facial expression

Lid retraction is a procedure to raise your lower lid.
So why i need the opposite ?

So why i need the opposite ?
Because what you claim to be your natural Lid resting position is very high.

But you’re definitely squinting so I wouldn’t worry about it.

• +1
Reactions: SAR, AscendingHero and Deleted member 10987
Because what you claim to be your natural Lid resting position is very high.

But you’re definitely squinting so I wouldn’t worry about it.
Why should i lie on a looksmaxing forum ?
Keep in mind im 35 % Bodyfat tho so maybe it influence eye area

Why should i lie on a looksmaxing forum ?
Keep in mind im 35 % Bodyfat tho so maybe it influence eye area
Dude I can’t explain to you why you feel the need to lie on a looksmaxxing forum. Only you know that.

But, if you’re not lying, you need eye surgery.

• JFL
Reactions: ominion and StrangerDanger
Dude I can’t explain to you why you feel the need to lie on a looksmaxxing forum. Only you know that.

Do O'Pry have slight epicanthic folds
5d17ab3c768b972e5a35d1a050bf7307 1

• +1

What would be the benefits of lowering my eyelid ?

What would be the benefits of lowering my eyelid ?
Your lower eyelid resting position would look normal rather than unnaturally high.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 10987
Yes. It’s called the nasal fat pad.
Explain in pics
Maybe we dont have the same definition
For me epicanthus fold is the layer of skin that cover your inner canthus

• +1
Explain in pics
Maybe we dont have the same definition
For me epicanthus fold is the layer of skin that cover your inner canthus
That’s what the nasal fat pad is. Variations in size determine whether or not it is deemed an “epicanthal fold”.

• +1
That’s what the nasal fat pad is. Variations in size determine whether or not it is deemed an “epicanthal fold”.

View attachment 1191240
I thought it was the underprojected nasal bridge that caused epicanthal folds cause when you add pull on the skin tissue on the nose they disappear

• +1
I thought it was the underprojected nasal bridge that caused epicanthal folds cause when you add pull on the skin tissue on the nose they disappear
Yeah cause all babies have them and guess what
They have flat face/no nasal bridge

• +1
  • +1
  • Hmm...
That’s literally the nasal fat pad.

“Hooding” is usually used to refer to the central portion of the eyelid being covered by fat, not medial. That doesn’t change that the medial is still covered by fat when people talk about “epicanthal fold”.
Also fat pads are directly under skin so the size of the fat pad will affect what the skin looks like.

• +1