How to deepen your voice via SINGING!

Napoleon1800

Napoleon1800

What is wrong with me?
As a person into singing, rapping, guitar and other musical instruments, I managed to find out a way that one can deepen their voice via SINGING and VOCAL PRACTISES, all of which will be explained in today's guide.

Voice types

You see, in order to fit a certain style, singers often have a voice that is separate to their normal talking voice, now this is often in the SATB (Soprano (highest), Alto, Tenor, Bass (lowest)) scale. However, as these are quite strict restrictions around ones vocals, what some singers have done is experiment with their singing voices, adding ranges between Soprano to Bass, so singers came out who were able to switch between singing very high pitched to very low pitched. Others experimented with a gradual movement down this scale. So from this solo singers came out that were capable of fitting into different vocal and not fully limited to traditional labellings. Now alongside this other singers came and said that they want to disrupt the normal standards of singing, and added things such as RASP and AGGRESSIVE SCREAMING into their singing. This can be best within the early 90s in the alt rock/grunge band NIRVANA, in particular their leader KURT COBAIN!

Some context

As this is not music class, I will not be explaining the history of the band Nirvana as it's irrelevant. However, I will tell you a little bit about Kurt Cobain's vocal technique. The Seattle Grunge scene, and the genre of Grunge as a whole, is meant to be rebellious, aggressive, resentful, edgy and unconventional. So Kurt Cobain, taking inspiration from the pioneers of grunge, decided to insert such feelings into the way he sang. He adopted a harsh vocal technique consisting of an aggressive/angry yet lazy/depressed rasp, which is best seen in the song Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana's biggest hit, where Kurt's voice is clearly raspy and angry yet seems calm, relaxed, lazy and apathetic. He does not seem to be coming forward into the microphone with energy. This was meant to reflect his own personal attitude to life as well as the style of grunge. Alongside this, he implemented loud, violent and gut-wrenching screaming that would shake listeners to the core, good examples are the end of his song "where did you sleep last night" and "Negative Creep". His screams are said to be one of the hardest things to match by singers ever since due to how unique it was. How did he get this scream? By smoking (which you can do but I don't recommend as it's horrible for your throat in the long run), proper breathing, lots of emotion and vocal practise. However, Kurt, being a rebellious young adult, disagreed with mainstream vocal practices, and what he would do is go to isolated forests and lakes and scream with as much rage and emotion he could, going through different ranges and scales, and attempting to hit notes both high and low. This gave him bloody coughs and a scratchy throat, which in turn DEEPENED BOTH HIS NORMAL AND SINGING VOICE.

Implementation

So what use is this information to us? Well I have personally used a method inspired by Kurt cobain and those who refined his techniques to improve my singing which allowed me to gain more control over my normal voice and deepen it, though I did gain a very slight rasp that will occasionally occur at certain points when I'm speaking.

THE METHOD
Watch the following videos and get yourself familiar with this kind of singing and Kurt's vocal style:

Now this is the more controversial "Scream as loud as possible" technique and here is a video on it, I recommend you do this but not regularly. I would say do this once every 2 weeks, with an isolated session.

Now after you have managed to learn those, you should start practising on learning to sing, as accurately as you can, these following songs, remember to breathe properly from your diaphragm and maintain proper posture

Just the last verse

After you have done this, begin trying to find a balance between your normal voice and your deeper, raspy singing voice, and when you manage to find that sweet spot, which comes from practise, you have to keep doing it, until it becomes natural and there, you have a new, deeper voice.

• +1
Reactions: bishōnenmaxxer, bloomercel, LooksReality and 1 other person
@NECK&VOICE @DildoFaggins

• +1
Reactions: DildoFaggins
dnr + already sound like im 50

• +1
Reactions: PseudoMaxxer, datboijj and Napoleon1800
Also another benefit of this is that you don't get an ogre masc voice but that mogger relaxed little raspy morning deep voice, but it takes time, literally took me 1 year it get nailed down into my natural normal voice but now I have a decent voice

• Woah
Reactions: PSLdemigod
read every word, great thread. bookmarked

• +1
Reactions: The Antichrist, Napoleon1800 and Fiqh
As a person into singing, rapping, guitar and other musical instruments, I managed to find out a way that one can deepen their voice via SINGING and VOCAL PRACTISES, all of which will be explained in today's guide.

Voice types

You see, in order to fit a certain style, singers often have a voice that is separate to their normal talking voice, now this is often in the SATB (Soprano (highest), Alto, Tenor, Bass (lowest)) scale. However, as these are quite strict restrictions around ones vocals, what some singers have done is experiment with their singing voices, adding ranges between Soprano to Bass, so singers came out who were able to switch between singing very high pitched to very low pitched. Others experimented with a gradual movement down this scale. So from this solo singers came out that were capable of fitting into different vocal and not fully limited to traditional labellings. Now alongside this other singers came and said that they want to disrupt the normal standards of singing, and added things such as RASP and AGGRESSIVE SCREAMING into their singing. This can be best within the early 90s in the alt rock/grunge band NIRVANA, in particular their leader KURT COBAIN!

Some context

As this is not music class, I will not be explaining the history of the band Nirvana as it's irrelevant. However, I will tell you a little bit about Kurt Cobain's vocal technique. The Seattle Grunge scene, and the genre of Grunge as a whole, is meant to be rebellious, aggressive, resentful, edgy and unconventional. So Kurt Cobain, taking inspiration from the pioneers of grunge, decided to insert such feelings into the way he sang. He adopted a harsh vocal technique consisting of an aggressive/angry yet lazy/depressed rasp, which is best seen in the song Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana's biggest hit, where Kurt's voice is clearly raspy and angry yet seems calm, relaxed, lazy and apathetic. He does not seem to be coming forward into the microphone with energy. This was meant to reflect his own personal attitude to life as well as the style of grunge. Alongside this, he implemented loud, violent and gut-wrenching screaming that would shake listeners to the core, good examples are the end of his song "where did you sleep last night" and "Negative Creep". His screams are said to be one of the hardest things to match by singers ever since due to how unique it was. How did he get this scream? By smoking (which you can do but I don't recommend as it's horrible for your throat in the long run), proper breathing, lots of emotion and vocal practise. However, Kurt, being a rebellious young adult, disagreed with mainstream vocal practices, and what he would do is go to isolated forests and lakes and scream with as much rage and emotion he could, going through different ranges and scales, and attempting to hit notes both high and low. This gave him bloody coughs and a scratchy throat, which in turn DEEPENED BOTH HIS NORMAL AND SINGING VOICE.

Implementation

So what use is this information to us? Well I have personally used a method inspired by Kurt cobain and those who refined his techniques to improve my singing which allowed me to gain more control over my normal voice and deepen it, though I did gain a very slight rasp that will occasionally occur at certain points when I'm speaking.

THE METHOD
Watch the following videos and get yourself familiar with this kind of singing and Kurt's vocal style:

Now this is the more controversial "Scream as loud as possible" technique and here is a video on it, I recommend you do this but not regularly. I would say do this once every 2 weeks, with an isolated session.

Now after you have managed to learn those, you should start practising on learning to sing, as accurately as you can, these following songs, remember to breathe properly from your diaphragm and maintain proper posture

Just the last verse

After you have done this, begin trying to find a balance between your normal voice and your deeper, raspy singing voice, and when you manage to find that sweet spot, which comes from practise, you have to keep doing it, until it becomes natural and there, you have a new, deeper voice.

Bad thread

• So Sad
Reactions: PURE ARYAN GENETICS and Napoleon1800
Dnrd but the op is 17 so basically in puberty.

• +1
Reactions: Napoleon1800
dnrd i already sound cool

• Love it
Lalalalalalalalalalala

• Love it
Anyone else tried it?

• +1

Voice types

Some context

Implementation

THE METHOD

Just the last verse

I already sound like 50 at 22

• +1
I already sound like 50 at 22
Also tbh there's a difference of sounding old and having mogger deep voice

This technique won't necessary give u a mogger deep voice but it will deepen it for sure. Like you would be above average at least

• +1
Reactions: Fynasids dk
Also another benefit of this is that you don't get an ogre masc voice but that mogger relaxed little raspy morning deep voice, but it takes time, literally took me 1 year it get nailed down into my natural normal voice but now I have a decent voice
vocaroo or never happened

• +1
normal voice tbh
Those with normal voice can go to a deeper voice and those with squeaky voices like mine can go to a normal voice

• +1
Reactions: hopecel
Bookmarked.
Screenshot 2023 11 29 at 19 34 13 artworks bObNlyd6J9pA3WtL bQlMsg t500x500 JPEG Image 50

• +1