Low Sodium is WORSE for water retention (debloaters gtfih)

GrowthReaper

GrowthReaper

born to mog, forced to slay
Classic tale of the debloater. Finds out that sodium causes water retention, then proceeds to avoid it like the plague.

This is completely WRONG however, and I don't see anyone talk about it. I'll simplify it for the low-IQcels here as well

There is such a thing as a sodium 'sensitivity' of sorts. Chronically low sodium intakes cause an (indirect) increase in aldosterone to compensate (since it is an essential mineral, your body wants to retain as much of it as possible if deprived)

What does aldosterone do? It is part of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, responsible for vasoconstriction (to regulate blood pressure) and the release of an ANTI-diuretic pituitary hormone called ADH, as well as some other things not relevant here.

When aldosterone is high (and thus ADH as well), not only do you retain more sodium in the kidneys, but you will also excrete more potassium through urine.

By avoiding bloat, you only made it worse. So what should you do?

Ideally you want aldosterone low, so eat +5g of sodium min per day as well as 3-4L of water. This will prevent you from retaining sodium in your body since you lose the need to do so. Of course it will take a few days or weeks to adjust and you will be bloated at first.

And since you are creating a habit of flushing out everything, if you have an important event, just cut out both water and sodium the day before. You will be fully depleted (this is what pro bodybuilders do before competitions).

Some relevant studies:
https://academic.oup.com/aj)h/article/25/1/1/238666 ("Sodium reduction resulted in a significant increase in plasma renin and plasma aldosterone (...)")

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Woah
  • Hmm...
Reactions: human03, 6′2 still over, becomingnearperfect and 14 others
Donald Trump Water GIF by Election 2016

• JFL
  • +1
Reactions: xorslayer, scrunchables, ๕ඞChick3ncu1ry and 2 others
Just confuse the competition theory.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: basic.yash, SteveRogers, leopg and 8 others
  • +1
Reactions: TsarTsar444
drinking cat piss helps as well

no debloat for your bones

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member, TheDragon, elzde95 and 5 others
  • JFL
Reactions: Thebbcmaxxer and PSLdemigod
high ADH will also cause problems with blood pressure

just consume moderate sodium with 3x as much potassium

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 51570, rand anon, datboijj and 1 other person
just consume moderate sodium with 3x as much potassium
This tbh. OP is right about low sodium levels, but 5g is WAY too much to compensate. 2500 mg a day is perfect, as long as you consume 3-4x the amount of potassium and 3-4L of water.

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: SteveRogers, TsarTsar444, ChickenRun and 1 other person
This tbh. OP is right about low sodium levels, but 5g is WAY too much to compensate. 2500 mg a day is perfect, as long as you consume 3-4x the amount of potassium and 3-4L of water.
Reaching that amount of potassium isnt easy tho unless u eat a tons of vegetables and fruits or spam supplements

• +1
Reactions: PotassiumMaxxer
Classic tale of the debloater. Finds out that sodium causes water retention, then proceeds to avoid it like the plague.

This is completely WRONG however, and I don't see anyone talk about it. I'll simplify it for the low-IQcels here as well

There is such a thing as a sodium 'sensitivity' of sorts. Chronically low sodium intakes cause an (indirect) increase in aldosterone to compensate (since it is an essential mineral, your body wants to retain as much of it as possible if deprived)

What does aldosterone do? It is part of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system, responsible for vasoconstriction (to regulate blood pressure) and the release of an ANTI-diuretic pituitary hormone called ADH, as well as some other things not relevant here.

When aldosterone is high (and thus ADH as well), not only do you retain more sodium in the kidneys, but you will also excrete more potassium through urine.

By avoiding bloat, you only made it worse. So what should you do?

Ideally you want aldosterone low, so eat +5g of sodium min per day as well as 3-4L of water. This will prevent you from retaining sodium in your body since you lose the need to do so. Of course it will take a few days or weeks to adjust and you will be bloated at first.

And since you are creating a habit of flushing out everything, if you have an important event, just cut out both water and sodium the day before. You will be fully depleted (this is what pro bodybuilders do before competitions).

Some relevant studies:
https://academic.oup.com/aj)h/article/25/1/1/238666 ("Sodium reduction resulted in a significant increase in plasma renin and plasma aldosterone (...)")
i tried both this method and also the other method and I can say that for me what works is getting 4 g salt/day and maximum 2.5 L water and high potassium.

2.5g is maybe enough for day-to-day, but if you have an event where you want to be fully debloated, you need to load sodium for a few days before cutting it out

• +1
Reactions: PSLdemigod
2.5g is maybe enough for day-to-day, but if you have an event where you want to be fully debloated, you need to load sodium for a few days before cutting it out
Water retention cycling is too much work for the average person. If it's just a regular one time event where you need your face to be lean, you can take 80 mg Lasix. If you're a bodybuilder, then take a diuretic and follow that cycle.

• +1
Reactions: pneumocystosis
What about dow losium

Reaching that amount of potassium isnt easy tho unless u eat a tons of vegetables and fruits or spam supplements
True. Coconut water, bananas, and supplements are a godsend.

• +1
  • Love it
Reactions: rand anon and PotassiumMaxxer
Water retention cycling is too much work for the average person. If it's just a regular one time event where you need your face to be lean, you can take 80 mg Lasix. If you're a bodybuilder, then take a diuretic and follow that cycle.
Yeah I get what you're saying. BTW I've found sites selling (or claiming to sell) furosemide. Do you know any good sources

do not ramp up your intake 200% in one day. ramp it up slowly.

and you shouldn't do this if you're hypertensive

• +1
Reactions: rand anon
High IQ logical scientific post

• JFL
Reactions: ´´´´´´´´
Tag the debloat king

Is dehydrating right before an important day enough? I found myself more bloated when cutting back water

Is dehydrating right before an important day enough? I found myself more bloated when cutting back water
it has worked for me so far, but I don't mean cutting it entirely, just drink .5L

If you loaded correctly your urine should be mostly clear even in the depleting stage. If it's darker simply add another .5L

• +1
Reactions: Tr0ubLe
it has worked for me so far, but I don't mean cutting it entirely, just drink .5L

If you loaded correctly your urine should be mostly clear even in the depleting stage. If it's darker simply add another .5L
Long term low water intake bloated me so I upped it a little now.

You are legit braindead

• +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Crusile and Deleted member 32954
I already made the exact same posts about this on pneumo's shit debloating guide threads, i didn't study Guyton and Hall by heart for months for nothing, fucking braindead zoomers

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: Crusile, audimax and ๕ඞChick3ncu1ry
Sorry for calling you that, im on tantrum speed run today cause of a drug tolerance break, but i still disagree here

I already made the exact same posts about this on pneumo's shit debloating guide threads, i didn't study Guyton and Hall by heart for months for nothing, fucking braindead zoomers
vindication

Yeah I’ve been hving more sodium cause of carnivore and I’ve never been bloated :Comfy: :Comfy:

• Love it
Reactions: datboijj
I had 500g fruit the other day and was starting and shitting myself all day. Stop lying
that's good
i don't see the problem
soon you might even poop out mucoid plaque

• Love it
  • +1
Reactions: AySab and Deleted member 39140
  • JFL
that's good
i don't see the problem
soon you might even poop out mucoid plaque
Tbh I feel good after having a shit, gonna shit 5 times a day inshallah with high fruit diet

• Love it
you can't be serious? 5g of sodium is like 5000mg, thats a crazy amount

you can't be serious? 5g of sodium is like 5000mg, thats a crazy amount
This is if you want to become almost completely immune to bloat in normal situations

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 40761
for POTS or orthostatic hypotension

Should I take 5g+ sodium with 3-4L of water everyday??

I drink electrolytes oral rehydration solution with WHO formula, it kinda helps abit but I think I might need midodrine, fludocortisone and beta blocker tbh. thoughts?

ok thank you zaddy

Attachments

• F-gJzvaWoAElZUq.jpeg
    F-gJzvaWoAElZUq.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for calling you that, im on tantrum speed run today cause of a drug tolerance break, but i still disagree here
Then tell us what you think.
I have never monitored sodium or anything, I just eat whole foods and don’t get bloated unless I eat shitty carbs / salty food which is like once in a blue moon.

Can you tag me in your post?

Yeah honestly low sodium bloats me along with fasting
Yeah I’ve been hving more sodium cause of carnivore and I’ve never been bloated :Comfy: :Comfy:

• +1
Reactions: rand anon
Yeah honestly low sodium bloats me along with fasting
low sodium doesn't bloat me but makes me feel super cranky compared to when I up my sodium intake. I think it's because I barely eat carbs and don't carry much water weight. It's important to up it with pure salt though, not with processed garbage

You can find studies that say anything. I don't believe bro science , sorry bruh