Math is the best meta skill to combine with most degrees

D

Deleted member 11126

Kraken
If you have a firm grip on mathematics everything in your life is easier. Most of college is bs but if you want to learn one thing paired with a major get good at math or the logical principles behind it. You will probably need to go back to basics if you went to a public school they do such a bad job and teach it via memory vs actually solving intuitively which holds you back in later classes. Everyone should have a firm grip to at least Calc 1.

And when I say a firm grip I don't just mean what you learned in HS chances are you don't really understand it beyond memorizing it.

If you have no clue what to study in your free time and you want to be in anything STEM or business related you should start getting good at math on your own. If your in something like Econ or Finance and understand math it will be so easy your already so ahead of the curve if you just get good at math up to calc 1. Even Computer science is easier with this skill set.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Ugh..
  • JFL
Reactions: slayer69, User28823, thecel and 15 others
If you have a firm grip on mathematics everything in your life is easier. Most of college is bs but if you want to learn one thing paired with a major get good at math or the logical principles behind it. You will probably need to go back to basics if you went to a public school they do such a bad job and teach it via memory vs actually solving intuitively which holds you back in later classes. Everyone should have a firm grip to at least Calc 1.

And when I say a firm grip I don't just mean what you learned in HS chances are you don't really understand it beyond memorizing it.

If you have no clue what to study in your free time and you want to be in anything STEM or business related you should start getting good at math on your own. If your in something like Econ or Finance and understand math it will be so easy your already so ahead of the curve if you just get good at math up to calc 1. Even Computer science is easier with this skill set.
I have like 2 months and a half before I start college. Already took Calc 1 & 2 but plan to retake them again. I agree with you that the way school teaches it is bs and doesn't actually give you an understanding of the logic behind it. Do you know any courses I could take within this time span to improve my fundamental understanding?

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad, Kingcel32, ShowerMaxxing and 1 other person
I have like 2 months and a half before I start college. Already took Calc 1 & 2 but plan to retake them again. I agree with you that the way school teaches it is bs and doesn't actually give you an understanding of the logic behind it. Do you know any courses I could take within this time span to improve my fundamental understanding?
Khan Acedemy is good because it has tons of problem sets. I think if your learning or relearning it the most important thing should be doing problems and writing it out. If you aren't going through entire notebooks with scribbles and equations you aren't doing enough problem sets.

Textbooks also have a lot of problems you can either get one at the library for free online at libgen or if its a book you want to reuse a lot buy a physical copy.

Doing the problems out on paper probably is ideal though and then there are lectures online too. But try to make sure 60% of your effort is just doing problems you can only learn so much from videos if you aren't solving problems it will not be learned long term

Last edited:
  • +1
Reactions: ChristianChad
Khan Acedemy is good because it has tons of problem sets. I think if your learning or relearning it the most important thing should be doing problems and writing it out. If you aren't going through entire notebooks with scribbles and equations you aren't doing enough problem sets.

Textbooks also have a lot of problems you can either get one at the library for free online at libgen or if its a book you want to reuse a lot buy a physical copy.

Doing the problems out on paper probably is ideal though and then there are lectures online too. But try to make sure 60% of your effort is just doing problems you can only learn so much from videos if you aren't solving problems it will not be learned long term
Ah I see I will probably try to find a course that has a lot of practice but focuses on the more fundamental/logical aspect of mathematics.

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 11126
I graduated high school with only algebra one and fail geometry. Anything bad for non math job from that?

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and Deleted member 11126

Good point, I do this type of meta transference with chess and my decision making skills.

• +1
Reactions: ChristianChad and Deleted member 11126
Ah I see I will probably try to find a course that has a lot of practice but focuses on the more fundamental/logical aspect of mathematics.
professor leonard on youtube is pretty good but its brutal. The guy is a chad get mogged everytime I watch him.

Depending on where you are lacking you may need to go back further I had to relearn what should have been simple mental math used in 5th grade.

• +1
  • JFL
Reactions: User28823, ChristianChad, Danish_Retard and 2 others
I graduated high school with only algebra one and fail geometry. Anything bad for non math job from that?
Don't know you personally so you so you could be dumb... But a lot of the times it is the teachers fault. Go to Khan Acedemy and maybe get an Algebra book this will hold you back in life if you want to do anything in business I thought you wanted to be a business major in past posts?

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard and incel194012940
professor leonard on youtube is pretty good but its brutal. The guy is a chad get mogged everytime I watch him.

Depending on where you are lacking you may need to go back further I had to relearn what should have been simple mental math used in 5th grade.
Lol, I honestly need to work on my algebra esp advanced algebra. I've always been kinda shacky on it but have gotten by just fine but I have a feeling that I won't so lucky once I move on to more complicated math courses.

• +1
Lol, I honestly need to work on my algebra esp advanced algebra. I've always been kinda shacky on it but have gotten by just fine but I have a feeling that I won't so lucky once I move on to more complicated math courses.
Yeah thats the issue with math. If you are bad at something usually you can overcompensate and get away with being bad in someway. But eventually what you are weak in will act as a hole in your boat.

There is no shame in refreshing even basic arithmetic often times people do not really understand it because it was taught with memory tricks. Like for example your time tables are memory alone but these memory tricks will fail you later on.

• +1
Reactions: Danish_Retard
Don't know you personally so you so you could be dumb... But a lot of the times it is the teachers fault. Go to Khan Acedemy and maybe get an Algebra book this will hold you back in life if you want to do anything in business I thought you wanted to be a business major in past posts?
I was perfectly able to pass, I learn math quicker than most people. I just think it’s boring and gay.

In buisness or science you don’t really need to know more than just how a few equations work tbh, and you can plug it into software or through a dork u pay. Not convinced why I need to know.

People assume I know a lot of math because of my race anyway. They all turn their head to me whenever someone runs math through them

I overestimate student loans I can get from college. New plan is to drift around on a motorcycle

• Hmm...
I was perfectly able to pass, I learn math quicker than most people. I just think it’s boring and gay.

In buisness or science you don’t really need to know more than just how a few equations work tbh, and you can plug it into software or through a dork u pay. Not convinced why I need to know.

People assume I know a lot of math because of my race anyway. They all turn their head to me whenever someone runs math through them

I overestimate student loans I can get from college. New plan is to drift around on a motorcycle
Its your choice man but understanding math would help you out. You can only get so far just plugging stuff in. I would suggest either learn skills for the long game or have a fun youth. Your on looksmax.org so I assume you aren't out having fun.

So either make this time memorable or make an investment for the future. Math is just a good metaskill for a lot of things that require logical deduction.

• +1
Reactions: incel194012940
Its your choice man but understanding math would help you out. You can only get so far just plugging stuff in. I would suggest either learn skills for the long game or have a fun youth. .
Give me an example of where it would help me

• +1
  • +1
Reactions: incel194012940
Name an industry you want to be in or a degree you could see yourself getting?
running a buisness, being the main name on pieces of scientific literature, negotiating deals, comparing different businesses.

I don’t want to be a technical person I don’t see why I would personally need to know the math behind this. Maybe at a very basic level to have someone be able to explain what the numbers mean.

• JFL
  • Hmm...
Reactions: Danish_Retard and Deleted member 11126
running a buisness, being the main name on pieces of scientific literature, negotiating deals, comparing different businesses.

I don’t want to be a technical person I don’t see why I would personally need to know the math behind this. Maybe at a very basic level to have someone be able to explain what the numbers mean.
Running a business is in essence being able to solve problems. Math is an entire language designed to create variables to solve the world's various problems.

Even basic accounting requires Algebra. If you are making deals you better be able to quickly absorb figures or statistics on something and come to a rational thought process.

Last edited:
  • +1
  • Hmm...
Reactions: horizontallytall, Danish_Retard and incel194012940
3blue1brown calculus series is a good start

• +1

Hahahaha man truly over for your knowledge of the world I'd you think you can get by without an advanced understanding of mathematics in ANY of those things :lul::lul::lul:

• +1
Hahahaha man truly over for your knowledge of the world I'd you think you can get by without an advanced understanding of mathematics in ANY of those things :lul::lul::lul:
do you think Stacy needs to know multiplication to run a buisness? Maybe addition and subtraction

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 14693 and Mouthbreath
You can? Advanced math isnt used anywhere in the real world. Even physics phds dont use advanced math most of the time. But it does train your brain to become an efficient problem solver like nothing else.

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, Deleted member 14693 and incel194012940
do you think Stacy needs to know multiplication to run a buisness? Maybe addition and subtraction
You don't need to be a wiz but at least you should be fluent to pre calc level. If you don't have a firm grasp on HS tier math you won't succeed. Women don't need to start businesses they will just marry someone successful you can't do this sadly.

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall, PubertyMaxxer and incel194012940
You don't need to be a wiz but at least you should be fluent to pre calc level. If you don't have a firm grasp on HS tier math you won't succeed. Women don't need to start businesses they will just marry someone successful you can't do this sadly.
my point is that you don’t personally need to do every technical process in your business. My parents know a dork who does their taxes for 10$.

I’m not going to sweep the floors and close shop myself every day if I had a store.

my point is that you don’t personally need to do every technical process in your business. My parents know a dork who does their taxes for 10$.

I’m not going to sweep the floors and close shop myself every day if I had a store.
You think right off the bat you can hire an accountant? If you start a franchise you will be doing it yourself unless you have a spare 60 grand a year.

Algebra is something you use everyday. Some of this stuff is just in basic planning

If you have 10 workers and 200 an hour to spare for paychecks you could make a paycheck for paying your employees or basic shit like this.

You think right off the bat you can hire an accountant? If you start a franchise you will be doing it yourself unless you have a spare 60 grand a year.

Algebra is something you use everyday. Some of this stuff is just in basic planning

If you have 10 workers and 200 an hour to spare for paychecks you could make a paycheck for paying your employees or basic shit like this.
10$ on fiverr if it’s not something extremely simple

not algebra lol now you’re shifting the goalposts
you don’t need to study to know how to solve for X.

There’s no good reason for the average buisness person to know advanced algebra, calculus, anything that is college level.

Just enough to make some spreadsheets

Chad: proving the Riemann hypothesis in high school

You: my girlfriend says it's perfectly normal that our son is blue-eyed blonde despite both of us having dark eyes and hair, nooo it can't be cheating nooo :feelswah::feelswah::feelswah:

I will be an orthodontist son, the only math I need is to count my shekels after I give 8 year old boys extractions and elastics

• Hmm...
  • Ugh..
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer and incel194012940

your mom had a firm grip on my cawk last night

Chad: proving the Riemann hypothesis in high school

You: my girlfriend says it's perfectly normal that our son is blue-eyed blonde despite both of us having dark eyes and hair, nooo it can't be cheating nooo :feelswah::feelswah::feelswah:

Actually with punnet squares that is possible. Only combination that is impossible would be two blue eyed people having brown eyed kids. Blue or colored eyes are recessive Meaning both parents could potentially have a recessive copy.

Vs if you have Blue or colored eyes it means you have 2 recessive copies. You only need one copy to have brown or dark eyes
TLDR if you have colored eyes only have kids with a girl with blue eyes

Agree

• +1
Reactions: horizontallytall

How can i use Online Flashcards for learning Maths?

• JFL
Reactions: ChristianChad

Professor Leonard too advanced I am in 12 grade

• +1
actually silly. take my word for it algebra and calculus dont get you anywhere. if any of you are really, truly successful, you will end up hiring someone who knows the relevant math instead of learning it yourselves

• +1
Reactions: PubertyMaxxer and ChristianChad
Math is absolutely useless wtf lol

It doesn’t help your life one bit

Math is absolutely useless wtf lol

It doesn’t help your life one bit
I use Algebra almost everyday especially when I try to calculate my finances.

I use Algebra almost everyday especially when I try to calculate my finances.
then ur durastically overcomplicating it and calculating ur finances too often

• JFL
Reactions: Deleted member 17829
Literal copium, i bet u havent taken a course of calculus basics or u have creativity of rock, hence u dont know how to use maths as a tool