Neck training

Matheus

Matheus

Mistral
I've been training neck for 5 months now with a harness and a cable. Neck curls monday, neck lateral flexion both sides wednesday, neck extension friday.
So far results have not been stunning. Only half an inch (1.5cm, maybe less even).

I think I'll switch to using weights and holding them while on a bench.
How do you work out the neck to have proper gains?

• +1
Reactions: med
High volume and frequency
Neck recovers fast and responds well to it

• +1
Reactions: aleksander, wsada, mvp2v1 and 2 others
High volume and frequency
Neck recovers fast and responds well to it
What exercises do you suggest? Is 3 times a week enough if you hit it only once on each movement like I do?

What exercises do you suggest? Is 3 times a week enough if you hit it only once on each movement like I do?
I do 5 times a week cause im leanmaxxing and dont want a pencil neck

• Woah
Reactions: Matheus
I do 5 times a week cause im leanmaxxing and dont want a pencil neck
I cba doing it that much tbh. Do you do curls, extensions and laterals each 5 times a week?

I cba doing it that much tbh. Do you do curls, extensions and laterals each 5 times a week?
I do neck bridges, curls and extensions

• +1
Body weight neck curls are better everyday

Not really i do it in like 15 minutes
How is it possible? Even with 3sets of each that's like 9 sets in 15 minutes and neck usually you have high reps

• +1
Reactions: marek937
How is it possible? Even with 3sets of each that's like 9 sets in 15 minutes and neck usually you have high reps
I do it in supersets

• +1
nigga why are you resting between them? They are easy af. I do a whole round of neck exercises without rest. Curls, extensions, side raises, repeat 3 times. 5-6 times to extra fast grow, 1-2 times a week to maintain

nigga why are you resting between them? They are easy af. I do a whole round of neck exercises without rest. Curls, extensions, side raises, repeat 3 times. 5-6 times to extra fast grow, 1-2 times a week to maintain
Do you do it the same way as Marek? Which exercises exactly?

Do you do it the same way as Marek? Which exercises exactly?
Idk who marek is. nigga I just named them. I do them nonstop since you can recover from it pretty easily. In this order: curls, extensions, side raises. Don't do low reps, do high reps with high frequency. Low reps can injure the neck pretty fast, I've got neck pain from going too heavy, and now I do only high reps and the pain is no more.
Neck bridges are retarded.
I also thought i was non responder but then my neck blew the fuck out. Vitamin d + creatine = high t do the fucking magic

• +1
Idk who marek is. nigga I just named them. I do them nonstop since you can recover from it pretty easily. In this order: curls, extensions, side raises. Don't do low reps, do high reps with high frequency. Low reps can injure the neck pretty fast, I've got neck pain from going too heavy, and now I do only high reps and the pain is no more.
Neck bridges are retarded.
I also thought i was non responder but then my neck blew the fuck out. Vitamin d + creatine = high t do the fucking magic
You do them on a bench holding a plate to your head?

You do them on a bench holding a plate to your head?
yes, I use a dumbbell. No need to buy harness shit its just waste of space and money

• +1
well i aint training it anymore cause i cant wear a formal shirt and tie ..mine is like 15-16 inch my frnds call me mike tyson

• +1
yes, I use a dumbbell. No need to buy harness shit its just waste of space and money
All of them you do with a dumbbell lying on a bench, backward, forward and sides? Just to be sure

well i aint training it anymore cause i cant wear a formal shirt and tie ..mine is like 15-16 inch my frnds call me mike tyson
It's probably not 15 inches lol, 15 is average. Mine was like 14.7 now more like 15.3 and it's just average now.

• +1
Reactions: marek937
Its average but it probably looks big cause its mostly muscle or u have short neck
Usually 16.5+ inches considered big
I have 16 inch neck but it looks average cause i have a long neck and big head

All of them you do with a dumbbell lying on a bench, backward, forward and sides? Just to be sure
yes i rotate on the bench like a potato. I use less weight for sight raises since its harder exercise. I do a full range of motion, moderate speed, high reps 30-40 reps. No rest, i don't wanna spend 20 minutes on neck that's retarted

• +1
yes i rotate on the bench like a potato. I use less weight for sight raises since its harder exercise. I do a full range of motion, moderate speed, high reps 30-40 reps. No rest, i don't wanna spend 20 minutes on neck that's retarted
I tried the lateral raises yesterday and it felt utterly impossible to do and get a full range of motion. Where do you put the plate on your head? Neck curls and extensions were fine.

I think a neck that's too big is bad idk

• JFL
I think a neck that's too big is bad idk
Thank you for your valuable contribution jfl. My goal isn't 22 inches of neck circumference

• JFL
Reactions: wsada
Thank you for your valuable contribution jfl. My goal isn't 22 inches of neck circumference
Just wanted to post couldn't think of anything it's over :feelscry:

• +1
From what I’ve gathered online, 16-18 inches is where the danger zone is for sleep apnea.

• +1
I've been training neck for 5 months now with a harness and a cable. Neck curls monday, neck lateral flexion both sides wednesday, neck extension friday.
So far results have not been stunning. Only half an inch (1.5cm, maybe less even).

I think I'll switch to using weights and holding them while on a bench.
How do you work out the neck to have proper gains?
Isnt neck curls at home with no weight enough to grow ur neck ?

From what I’ve gathered online, 16-18 inches is where the danger zone is for sleep apnea.
Yes my goal is 16, 16.5 max. Right now it's like 15.2 (38.6cm)
I started going to the gym at 11% bf 64kg with 14.7" neck (37.5cm), now I'm at 14.5% bf 70kg. Tbh I can't say if my bigger neck is because of neck training or just more bf and overall muscle mass

• +1
Reactions: Beau Brummell
Deadlift a shit ton
Famous powerlifter

Deadlift a shit ton
Famous powerlifter

View attachment 2865892
Nope. That man takes anabolic androgenic steroids, I remember seeing videos by him a few years back.

Deadlifting may create some marginal neck gains but it could not in itself account for neck development like that.

EMG studies show little neck activation by deadlifting (EMG isn’t necessarily conclusive but be logical, do you feel a huge strain in your neck doing deadlifts?).

Other than the steroids, it’s possible that some yoke-centred lifts contributed to his neck growth, such as overhead press.

Last edited:
Yes my goal is 16, 16.5 max. Right now it's like 15.2 (38.6cm)
I started going to the gym at 11% bf 64kg with 14.7" neck (37.5cm), now I'm at 14.5% bf 70kg. Tbh I can't say if my bigger neck is because of neck training or just more bf and overall muscle mass
I’m just getting into neck training so can’t claim any kind of expertise, but I wouldn’t necessarily listen to all these comments advocating for no-rest supersets through the whole workout.
I’m going to go about training neck like any other muscle, focusing on progressive overload and set quality. I’ve bought quite an expensive harness and intend to use this in the gym with the cable machine, though I wouldn’t think the type of exercise matters hugely so long as there is good tension and progression.
Anyway, I think your neck gains have been good. As with every muscle, genetics will hugely influence how much we grow in a given period and you have seen a significant increase in circumference, so clearly the exercises have been effective. It may just be you have different genetics to those who claim a 2 inch neck gain in a year.

• +1
I’m just getting into neck training so can’t claim any kind of expertise, but I wouldn’t necessarily listen to all these comments advocating for no-rest supersets through the whole workout.
I’m going to go about training neck like any other muscle, focusing on progressive overload and set quality. I’ve bought quite an expensive harness and intend to use this in the gym with the cable machine, though I wouldn’t think the type of exercise matters hugely so long as there is good tension and progression.
Anyway, I think your neck gains have been good. As with every muscle, genetics will hugely influence how much we grow in a given period and you have seen a significant increase in circumference, so clearly the exercises have been effective. It may just be you have different genetics to those who claim a 2 inch neck gain in a year.
Probably. I had been doing it with a harness+cable and I can't say for sure whether it's just higher bf or not. It could just be that I've not been doing it enough, since I only do one type of neck exercise per workout, so curl monday, lateral flexion both sides wednesday and extension friday. Perhaps I should do shrugs too idk.

I tried the lateral raises yesterday and it felt utterly impossible to do and get a full range of motion. Where do you put the plate on your head? Neck curls and extensions were fine.
idk just do the proper technique. I hold the plate/dumbbell with one hand on the head. Ofc use lower weight for raises since its harder