palate expansion

sensu

sensu

Silver
I keep getting mixed answers,

will a palate expander (RPE) widen the lower-third/jaw at 16? my ortho said it would not have any affects on aesthethics and I would need surgery for that;

however, people here are saying it will widen my lower-third.

Surgery "needed"

Logically it would widen your maxilla, and since the mandible mimics the growth of the maxilla, it should improve your aesthetics by also widening the mandible. Keep in mind slight widening doesn’t necessarily mean more aesthetics, but it very well could do.

Logically it would widen your maxilla, and since the mandible mimics the growth of the maxilla, it should improve your aesthetics by also widening the mandible. Keep in mind slight widening doesn’t necessarily mean more aesthetics, but it very well could do.
this is the same argument i used against my ortho, he said it simply would not widen it enough to see a difference

• +1
Reactions: Deleted member 30037
this is the same argument i used against my ortho, he said it simply would not widen it enough to see a difference
I don’t know tbh. How much expansion of your maxilla are you aiming for?

I don’t know tbh. How much expansion of your maxilla are you aiming for?
not sure exactly just trying to widen my lower third and mouth to a noticeable amount

My cousin had a similar procedure done and yea his jaw now is pretty good while before it looked weak and femenine.wish i had got it tbh

My cousin had a similar procedure done and yea his jaw now is pretty good while before it looked weak and femenine.wish i had got it tbh
He got a RPE? palate expander? or something different, also how old was he when he got it

He got a RPE? palate expander? or something different, also how old was he when he got it
He was 18 but i dont know the type of appliance unfortunately